PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. N.C. State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Post your pre-game and in-game thoughts here.

CDu
01-30-2008, 04:47 PM
After seeing what we did against a team with two of the better PG in the conference in terms of forcing turnovers, I'm excited to see what we can do against a team that is forced to play a freshman (Gonzalez) or a transfer combo guard (Johnson) at PG. If we force another 20-25 turnovers and aren't abysmal shooting (or really careless with the ball ourselves), I don't see State having much of a shot.

The big concern for me will be whether or not Lowe can finally figure out how to use his three talented big men together effectively. Hickson has been terrific, but Costner and McCauley have gone from All-ACC caliber to barely existent.

One player to keep an eye on from State is Fells, who has been terrific lately. He's always had immense talent, but has been completely inconsistent up until the beginning of 2008. But starting with the UNC game, Fells has averaged 17.6 ppg (with a low game of 14) while shooting 58.9% from the field.

But again, if we can force turnovers and get some easy buckets, I don't think State can score 80-90 points with us. They put up 62 against UNC and 54 against Clemson. Those teams get up and down the floor like us, but they don't defend quite as well.

Clipsfan
01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Hickson will probably present some significant challenges on the defensive end, so we'll once again need to make sure that he doesn't get the ball/offensive boards by forcing turnovers. We are a better team than NC State and I just hope that we play like one.

Classof06
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Though I'm still waiting on the UNC game next week to give a definitive, long-term assessment of our team, I think this team's identity is pretty much solidified. Whether or not Duke has a chance at winning any particular game will come down to two things: 1) How well we shoot from the field (duh) and 2) How many turnovers we force. Our pressure defense is the way we negate our lack of size by taking away the vision of the ballhandler; you can't feed the post if there's no line of vision to it. If we allow teams to set up their halfcourt offense, our size becomes a much bigger problem for us.

Given NC State's PG woes, I see Duke's pressure creating a lot of problems for the Wolfpack, whose offense has looked just atrocious in the games I've seen. We took it to them in Raleigh last year when they had PG issues and tomorrow is no different; they have nobody to consistently initiate the offense. This plays right into Duke's hands.

Hickson, Costner and McAuley provide potential problems for us. Hickson might be the most skilled big man we'll see until we travel up 15-501 in a week. Even with those three guys up front, the reality is that they haven't yet been able to mesh and play off of each other so that should favor Duke.

Duke could get caught looking ahead to UNC but I think that's more of a concern with Miami on Saturday. This is a game I see Duke winning by about 15 points.

MChambers
01-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Hickson, Costner and McAuley provide potential problems for us. Hickson might be the most skilled big man we'll see until we travel up 15-501 in a week. Even with those three guys up front, the reality is that they haven't yet been able to mesh and play off of each other so that should favor Duke.

All true, but you can't play three big guys at once in college ball, especially against Duke. I'm curious to see if State can play two of them at once. I'm also curious to see if Singler can take advantage on the offensive end. My guess is yes.

The1Bluedevil
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Everything that I can see points to a comfortable win.

Pack have no depth, no point guard and appear from watching chemistry is an issue.

However this game feels like it could be closer then expected.

Clipsfan
01-30-2008, 06:22 PM
It doesn't look like the game is well televised (i.e. not on any channels I get). Is it on anything national?

BryanCenterBlues
01-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Espn2

socaldukie
01-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Espn2

socaldukie
01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Not sure we get that or pac 10 on ABC

heath_harshman4
01-30-2008, 08:10 PM
After seeing what we did against a team with two of the better PG in the conference in terms of forcing turnovers, I'm excited to see what we can do against a team that is forced to play a freshman (Gonzalez) or a transfer combo guard (Johnson) at PG. If we force another 20-25 turnovers and aren't abysmal shooting (or really careless with the ball ourselves), I don't see State having much of a shot.

The big concern for me will be whether or not Lowe can finally figure out how to use his three talented big men together effectively. Hickson has been terrific, but Costner and McCauley have gone from All-ACC caliber to barely existent.

One player to keep an eye on from State is Fells, who has been terrific lately. He's always had immense talent, but has been completely inconsistent up until the beginning of 2008. But starting with the UNC game, Fells has averaged 17.6 ppg (with a low game of 14) while shooting 58.9% from the field.

But again, if we can force turnovers and get some easy buckets, I don't think State can score 80-90 points with us. They put up 62 against UNC and 54 against Clemson. Those teams get up and down the floor like us, but they don't defend quite as well.

My thoughts exactly. Agree 100%

wolfpackdevil
01-30-2008, 08:41 PM
I think that this will be a better game than people on DBR think.

NC State does not have a consistant PG right now, but Gonzalez has shown he can play. He had 9 points, 2 steals and 0 turnovers in the game vs. GT last week.

And Duke has prooven that they can not stop the inside game, they definatley could not stop Osby for Maryland on Sunday who scored 20+ points (all from the strike or the paint) in the last game.

3 point shooting will be the key for Duke, if they get started from downtown State will not be able to stop the devils.

But if Hickson, Costner, McCauley play big underneath and have good game from the post, i dont think that Duke will be able to keep up with points in the paint.

Don't look past Courtney Fells either, he is a great 3 point shooter and has hit 2 game winning 3's this year in ACC play.

I will be at the game, and hopefully it will be like most of the ACC games so far this year.

SMO
01-30-2008, 09:45 PM

NC State does not have a consistant PG right now, but Gonzalez has shown he can play. He had 9 points, 2 steals and 0 turnovers in the game vs. GT last week.

And Duke has prooven that they can not stop the inside game, they definatley could not stop Osby for Maryland on Sunday who scored 20+ points (all from the strike or the paint) in the last game.

3 point shooting will be the key for Duke, if they get started from downtown State will not be able to stop the devils.

But if Hickson, Costner, McCauley play big underneath and have good game from the post, i dont think that Duke will be able to keep up with points in the paint.

Don't look past Courtney Fells either, he is a great 3 point shooter and has hit 2 game winning 3's this year in ACC play.

I will be at the game, and hopefully it will be like most of the ACC games so far this year.

Reading this you would never think NC State was 13-6, 2-3 in ACC with losses to New Orleans and East Carolina. They are one of the most perplexing teams in the league this year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-30-2008, 09:54 PM
There are certain games which will be exciting no matter what's going on with the opposing team's personnel.... NC State is likely to bring that sort of game tomorrow night.

State's fortunes of late are a contrast to their history going back to the 50's and 60's. With the level of play throughout the ACC now, it's amazing to think back to what it was like when Everett Case first arrived at State bringing with him the beginning of what we now know as college basketball. So much we take for granted today began during that era. I think back to Norm Sloan who often wore a red jacket at games. His wife used to sing the national anthem before the home contests in the old William Neal Reynolds Coliseum. Cameron Crazies frequently parodied her performances with a guy dressed in dreadful drag out on the court pretending to sing. Then there was Jim Valvano who came in with such passion that it was just a question of which minute mark would be the one when he would tear his jacket (if he still had it on) or rip the inseam of his slacks while gyrating about outside the coach's box. Such colorful memories characterize the Duke - State games over the years!

Remembering the discussion about what colors to wear tomorrow night and also noting the hotter temperatures in Cameron this season, I made a quick trip to the Duck Shop this afternoon when I had some unexpected business in the area.... selected some short sleeved Duke blue shirts, but didn't found the headgear I was looking for.... perhaps next time.

Tomorrow night I'll wave to you guys when the camera turns my way.... left of the Pep Band, four rows up.
Go Duke!

365Duke
01-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Always pleasantly surprised by some of the numbers in these things:D

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1378094

• 4 Duke has not allowed more than four made three-point field goals in its five ACC games. They are holding opponents to an ACC-low .266 (17-of-64) three-point field goal percentage.

and

• .592 Gerald Henderson is shooting .592 (29-of-49) from the field in conference only games this season. His field goal percentage is the second highest in the ACC and he also ranks 12th in scoring at 16.0 points per game in ACC contests.

and

• 23 Junior Greg Paulus has made his last 23 free throw attempts, including a perfect 14-for-14 in five ACC games to lead the conference.

DBFAN
01-31-2008, 02:07 AM
The stat on Paulus's (does the apostrophe come before or after the "s
" I always forget that rule) free throw shooting blew my mind, I would have never guessed that about him. Way to go Greg

dukestheheat
01-31-2008, 07:05 AM
The stat on Paulus's (does the apostrophe come before or after the "s
" I always forget that rule) free throw shooting blew my mind, I would have never guessed that about him. Way to go Greg

1) Paulus.
2) Paulus' grandfather; Paulus' free throw shooting.
3) Paulus's new car.

(somehow I'm wanting to remember if it's true possession then an apostrophe s follows even the s given in a last name). ?

Anyone feel free to chime in but in no way am I trying to hijack this worthy thread, thanks.

dth.

whereinthehellami
01-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Starters
Johnson 6-5, SO
Fells 6-5, JR
Grant 6-7, SR
Hickson 6-9, FR
McCauley 6-10, JR

Reserves, over 10 MPG
Costner 6-9, SO
Horner 6-8, SO
Gonzalez 6-0, FR

Notes

NCSU shoots 46% FG, 71% FT, and 33% from 3.
Duke shoots 49% FG, 70% FT, and 38% from 3.
4 NCSU players average double figures (Hickson 15.3, Grant 13.2, Fells 11.2, & Costner 9.6) in points per game.
4 Duke players average double figures (Nelson 14.8, Henderson 13.6, Singler 12.9, & Scheyer 10.7) in points per game.
Hickson has not attempted a 3 pointer this year.
Fells leads the Wolfpack in 3s with 33 made at a 39% clip.
4 Devils shoot over 40% in 3's (King 44%, Nelson 42%, Scheyer 41%, & Paulus 41%).
3 Wolfpack players have more than 40 TOs (Costner 53, Hickson 49, & Grant 44).
1 Duke player has more than 40 TOs (Singler 41).
NCSU averages 67.4 PTs, 35.3 RB, 1/1.2 A:TO, 5.2 STLS, & 5.3 BLKs per game.
Duke averages 85.2 PTs, 37.6 RBs, 1.1/1 A:TO, 8.7 STLs, & 4.2 BLKs per game.

Outlook
I don't see NCSU being able to hang with Duke for the whole game but I wouldn't be suprised to see Duke let down emotionally after playing two road games at a high intensity level. Ultimately NCSU's proclivity for TOs will prove too much for the Wolfpack. I also like Duke to have a good night from 3, they are overdue, and NCSU's help defense is always one extra pass away from breaking down.

walras
01-31-2008, 09:14 AM
The N&O has the game as "ESPN2, subject to blackout". I've not seen this listing before. Meaning?

freedevil
01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
State will hang in there for 20 minutes, maybe a little more. After that, seeeeee yyyaaaaa. Go Duke.

CDu
01-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Starters
Johnson 6-5, SO
Fells 6-5, JR
Grant 6-7, SR
Hickson 6-9, FR
McCauley 6-10, JR

Reserves, over 10 MPG
Costner 6-9, SO
Horner 6-8, SO
Gonzalez 6-0, FR

Notes

NCSU shoots 46% FG, 71% FT, and 33% from 3.
Duke shoots 49% FG, 70% FT, and 38% from 3.
4 NCSU players average double figures (Hickson 15.3, Grant 13.2, Fells 11.2, & Costner 9.6) in points per game.
4 Duke players average double figures (Nelson 14.8, Henderson 13.6, Singler 12.9, & Scheyer 10.7) in points per game.
Hickson has not attempted a 3 pointer this year.
Fells leads the Wolfpack in 3s with 33 made at a 39% clip.
4 Devils shoot over 40% in 3's (King 44%, Nelson 42%, Scheyer 41%, & Paulus 41%).
3 Wolfpack players have more than 40 TOs (Costner 53, Hickson 49, & Grant 44).
1 Duke player has more than 40 TOs (Singler 41).
NCSU averages 67.4 PTs, 35.3 RB, 1/1.2 A:TO, 5.2 STLS, & 5.3 BLKs per game.
Duke averages 85.2 PTs, 37.6 RBs, 1.1/1 A:TO, 8.7 STLs, & 4.2 BLKs per game.

Outlook
I don't see NCSU being able to hang with Duke for the whole game but I wouldn't be suprised to see Duke let down emotionally after playing two road games at a high intensity level. Ultimately NCSU's proclivity for TOs will prove too much for the Wolfpack. I also like Duke to have a good night from 3, they are overdue, and NCSU's help defense is always one extra pass away from breaking down.

I didn't realize 9.6 was double figures. :) Sorry, I had to do that. Other than that, I agree. I think we'll exploit their troubles with turnovers. If we're shooting well from three as well, I think it's going to be a long night for the Pack. They may be able to keep it remotely interesting for a while, but I think our pressure will wear them down (if their turnovers don't bury them first).

rtnorthrup
01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Put me in the slightly worried category:

1) yes, NC State has chemistry issues and has played down to several opponents this year, but I dont see that being an issue tonight. They are playing Duke in Cameron, they will be on an emotional high. I dont think their chemistry issues will affect them. We always seem to bring out the best in an opponent.

2) I really like the Singler v. Hickson matchup. What scares me is who do we put on Gavin Grant? I would assume McClure will get the start and guard him, but I also expect Gerald to get that assignment some.

3) How is the game going to be called? If the refs are calling touch fouls that will favor NC State as I expect them to try and beat us from inside the lane.

4) We have played two really tough basketball games the last week. Will we be emotionally tough again?

We are a better team than NC State, but the Wolfpack are a very talented team that can give us fits. Yes, they dont always play up to their expectations, but I think tonight we will see an aggressive, determined wolfpack team. I will be a nervous wreck all day.

CDu
01-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Put me in the slightly worried category:

1) yes, NC State has chemistry issues and has played down to several opponents this year, but I dont see that being an issue tonight. They are playing Duke in Cameron, they will be on an emotional high. I dont think their chemistry issues will affect them. We always seem to bring out the best in an opponent.

They should have had an even BIGGER emotional high going into the UNC game at the Dean Dome, and we all know what happened there.

2) I really like the Singler v. Hickson matchup. What scares me is who do we put on Gavin Grant? I would assume McClure will get the start and guard him, but I also expect Gerald to get that assignment some.

Thomas, Singler, McClure, and King will get the responsibility of guarding whichever two of Hickson/McCauley/Costner are in the game. Henderson, Nelson, and Sheyer will be the ones guarding Fells and Grant. I'd be surprised if we see much of McClure on Grant.

3) How is the game going to be called? If the refs are calling touch fouls that will favor NC State as I expect them to try and beat us from inside the lane.

I think a tightly-called game could actually favor us, due to our depth and due to the fact that we are a very well-coached team defensively. We always seem to adjust to the officiating better than our opponents. Also, a tightly-called game will hopefully minimize any advantage NC State might be able to gain by trying to be physical with us.

The other key will be how well we prevent them from actually getting the ball inside. Their backcourt and wings turn the ball over a lot. That's where we'll need to succeed to ensure the win.

4) We have played two really tough basketball games the last week. Will we be emotionally tough again?

We are a better team than NC State, but the Wolfpack are a very talented team that can give us fits. Yes, they dont always play up to their expectations, but I think tonight we will see an aggressive, determined wolfpack team. I will be a nervous wreck all day.

This is the only one of those that's of real concern to me. Hopefully, Coach K won't let the team get complacent out there. With our depth, Coach K can make a statement by wholesale substitution if necessary. Also, I don't think this team will let itself get complacent.

mehmattski
01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
If you can't go to college, go to State.
If you can't go to State, go to jail.
If you can't go to jail, go to Hell,
Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell!!!!

(Reddo ad infinitium)

Channing
01-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Color me slightly worried as well. Anytime we go against a team with such a skilled and deep front line this year it is going to worry me. Hopefully we can jump out to an early lead and keep the pack at bay all night!

-jk
01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
The N&O has the game as "ESPN2, subject to blackout". I've not seen this listing before. Meaning?

It usually means it's also on CD Chesley or Raycom or Jefferson-Pilot or whoever-it-is-now on the regional broadcast. They have first rights; ESPN can't compete.

Around here (DC) ESPN usually just shows ESPNews in its place, and occasionally, the local affiliate doesn't show the game either. Grr.

-jk

Methodistman
01-31-2008, 10:17 AM

For those outside the Raycom/Jefferson Pilot broadcasting network, the game will be on the deuce. However, if you're in the network, look for it on the local chanels with it being blacked out on ESPN2.

jjasper0729
01-31-2008, 10:22 AM

means it's probably going to be the Raycom/Lincoln Financial game tonight. so in ACC country, it'll be on the R/LF affiliates and everywhere else, it will be on ESPN2.

mus074
01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Other have covered the preview well. I'll add my unsolicited two cents.

NC State provides an interesting matchup for Duke. Here's what they do well:

1. Get to the FT line - they make FTs on 35.9% ratio to FGAs (2nd in the nation).

2. Don't send others to the line - opponents shoot FTs at a ratio of only 21.3% to FGAs (3rd in the nation).

3. Defend 2FGs, allowing opponents to shoot only 42.2% (17th), which combines with more medicore defense of the 3FG (34.6%, 150th) for an eFG of 45.0% (25th).

4. Don't allow shots from beyond the arc - opponents shoot a ratio of only 28.6% of 3FGs to all FGAs (24th). This makes for a better eFG as they defend the 3FG more modestly.

5. Don't allow assists - a ratio of just 46.5% of made baskets (12th).

Here's where they are remarkably poor:

A. Turnovers. They cough it up on 22.8% of possessions (238th of 340) and create them on the other end just 17.1% (335th, or 6th to last in all D-1). As a corollary, the offense has 11.9% of possessions stolen (297th) and the defense forces only 7.9% in steals (307th).

B. Shoot threes. They are shooting a low 33.1% from beyond the arc (242nd) but smartly launching them only 31.8% as a ratio of all FGAs (224th).

C. Rebounding. On the defensive end, they are allowing offenses to pull down 35.5% of their own misses (261st), and getting just 32.7% of their own misses on the other end (190th).

This paints a picture of a team with a decent front court but a weak perimeter, which is what must people would agree. What it means for our matchup is fairly good news for Duke.

Some of Duke's best offensive performances have come from teams with abysmal turnover defenses. Indeed, the four worst TO defenses we have faced (Illinois, Michigan, Albany and Virginia) produced four of the five best offensive efficiency productions so far. In the aggregate Duke's offensive performance is pretty well correlated to its number of turnovers. So on paper, Duke's offense should click tonight.

Even more favorable for Duke is NCSU's proclivity to cough it up. Duke's defense's number one correlation factor is turnovers. And the Pack should be generous on that front as well.

Finally, NCSU strongly prefers a slower pace (258th) and their defensive efficiency has been correlated to pace (the higher the pace, the higher the defensive efficiency number, i.e., the higher the opponent's offensive efficiency). Duke should be able to generate turnovers/steals, get into its transition and make this the kind of game NCSU hates. So look for Duke to attack, attack, attack in its first home game since Jan 19.

FWIW, Pomeroy predicts it 80-59 with an upset chance of 3% in Duke's relatively slowest game since EKU in November. I think the margin of O/D points/poss is reasonable, but I bet we see a bit faster game, resulting in a score of low 80's to low 60's.

Caveat: my score predictions have been way off, but my identification of key factors has been dead on. Proceed at your own peril. :D

mapei
01-31-2008, 12:15 PM
1) Paulus.
2) Paulus' grandfather; Paulus' free throw shooting.
3) Paulus's new car.

(somehow I'm wanting to remember if it's true possession then an apostrophe s follows even the s given in a last name). ?

Anyone feel free to chime in but in no way am I trying to hijack this worthy thread, thanks.

dth.

Paulus's.

Strunk and White page 1.

Carlos
01-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Anytime you force 25 turnovers, limit your own, and shoot well you should expect to win. But I do agree that State is especially ripe for abuse in this regard.

Mr. Fells, meet Mr. Nelson. I like the matchup.

State has scored over 80 once this season so you're right in that the odds aren't too good they'll hit it tonight.

Playing against the highly rated point guard duo of Maurice Miller and Matt Causey.

Duke hasn't been effective in stopping opposing big men that much is true. But they have been very effective in forcing other teams to play their style - it will be interesting in seeing if State can play their traditional 2-big lineup tonight or if they're forced to go small in order to defend Duke.

I disagree - Duke has shown that this team doesn't need to shoot well from 3 to win. Something in the low 30% range has been good enough in several big games this year. That's because - and this ties into your second point - Duke can score points in the paint. They just don't do it in a traditional sense. Duke is getting points in the paint this year by driving the ball to the basket and by pulling the other team's bigs away from the hoop and then posting up Nelson or Henderson.

As for Fells, he hasn't hit 2 game winning 3's in ACC play this year. He missed one that would have won the Miami game at the end of regulation. He did hit one late in the overtime that pulled the Wolffies to within one point but the game was won on a Gavin Grant layup. In the Pack's only other ACC win he made a three to tie the game but it was FT's by Hickson and Gonzalez that won the contest.

At any rate, Duke has been exceptional in defending the three this year.

It means that if you're this guy and the game is on in a few minutes, you'll likely never see it because you'll have blacked out

http://850thebuzz.com/podcasts/gw.gif

Grant's spending most of his time at the small forward spot. Assuming Duke continues to start Thomas-Singler-Henderson-Nelson-Paulus I would project the matchups to be Henderson on Grant, Nelson on Fells,

jzp5079
01-31-2008, 12:47 PM
the fact that a lot of state fans on their boards think this will not be a game - we will blow it open early - and they just want to "get the game over with" because they know they don't have a chance in cameron. luckily the players won't lay down their swords as fast as the fans. then id'e def. be watching lost instead.

whereinthehellami
01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
mus074, that was some good info, thanks.

whereinthehellami
01-31-2008, 01:16 PM
I didn't realize 9.6 was double figures. :) Sorry, I had to do that.

I brought that up at the weekly whereinthehellami posting meeting and we decided to include it the preview. I mean you can round up, round down, or just leave it as is. The vote went 5-4-1 on rounding up.

snowdenscold
01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
It usually means it's also on CD Chesley or Raycom or Jefferson-Pilot or whoever-it-is-now on the regional broadcast. They have first rights; ESPN can't compete.

Around here (DC) ESPN usually just shows ESPNews in its place, and occasionally, the local affiliate doesn't show the game either. Grr.

-jk

Wait, so will it be on ESPN2 in DC if we have Cox?

Duvall
01-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Wait, so will it be on ESPN2 in DC if we have Cox?

I don't think the cable service matters; the game should be on the local RAYCOM broadcast affiliate, WDCA -20.

SMO
01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
the fact that a lot of state fans on their boards think this will not be a game - we will blow it open early - and they just want to "get the game over with" because they know they don't have a chance in cameron. luckily the players won't lay down their swords as fast as the fans. then id'e def. be watching lost instead.

Now that is funny. Perhaps there's a predisposition toward caution or pessimism on fan boards.:rolleyes:

jlear
01-31-2008, 04:01 PM
I think we will have our season high for steals tonight with over 17. I also think it might take NCSU over 12 min. to break double digits.

dukestheheat
01-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Paulus's.

Strunk and White page 1.

struck out, plus it's on page ONE of Strunk and White. Dang.

dth.

MikeS
01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Duke victory 84-69.

Biggest concern is the size of NC State, they have three guys who can bang inside.

That said their lack of a point guard means we could win this one rather easily.

Singler 20
Henderson 16
Nelson 15

feldspar
01-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Paulus's.

Strunk and White page 1.

Redacted because I forgot how to read.

heath_harshman4
01-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Duke Wins 88-65...

Duke gets out to early lead with hot 3pt shooting and good "D".
Leads at halftime 43-29.

NCST opens up 2nd half hot, brings it within 10, but Duke's "D" forcing turnovers puts it out of reach.

24 NCST Turnovers

Paulus-13
Henderson-12
Nelson-21
Singler-20
Thomas-8

And big off of the Bench

Scheyer-24.

MChambers
01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
struck out, plus it's on page ONE of Strunk and White. Dang.

dth.

If the word ends in an "s" because it is plural, just do the apostrophe. Otherwise, do "'s".

Oriole Way
01-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Why does it seem like 4 or 5 times every year, the televised game before a Duke game on cable networks goes to overtime?

Tonight Notre Dame and Providence went to OT, so we'll miss the first 8-10 minutes of the Duke game, again. I want to pull my hair out. This past weekend we missed a good chunk of the first half of Duke/MD thanks to a GT overtime game.

Last year there were a couple times we missed pretty much the entire first halves of games (I think the Gonzaga game last year was one). I wish there was something to be done, specifically scheduling more 7 PM games.

So frustrated.

mph
01-31-2008, 09:03 PM
I know we had this discussion last year, but it still really ticks me off that I have to watch the game on Raycom in low def when I should be able to watch it on ESPN2 in HD.

Bluedog
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
I share your frustration. I was sure it wasn't going to OT when Notre Dame launched a 3 when down by 2 and Providence got the rebound. But they decided to just give the ball away....grrrrrrrr

Lotus000
01-31-2008, 09:08 PM
I share your frustration. I was sure it wasn't going to OT when Notre Dame launched a 3 when down by 2 and Providence got the rebound. But they decided to just give the ball away....grrrrrrrr

Blame the [expletive] [expletive] Big East and they're 120-and-below over/unders.

GAAAAAH I hate the Big East.

Vincetaylor
01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Anybody know why the game isn't on ESPN2?

cdhutch
01-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Anybody know why the game isn't on ESPN2?

My ESPN2HD feed died at about 9:25PM. ESPN2 SD is now showing ESPNews. I'm on Cox Cable in Hampton, VA.
I'm not sure what's going on.

Jeffack
01-31-2008, 09:32 PM
anyone else have this problem: ESPN2HD shows a black screen, ESPN2 shows ESPNEWS?

Lotus000
01-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Green shirts = testing Basketball Gods' patience = Devils down 6 with 7:05 in 1st.

MikeS
01-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Tree Huggers screwing Duke tonight.

ArtVandelay
01-31-2008, 09:39 PM
For those in ACC country, I think that this game was subject to blackout. Check your local channels for the game.

Exiled_Devil
01-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Raycomm is in HD tonight folks...wohoo

speedevil
01-31-2008, 09:58 PM
i might have missed this, but whats up with all the green shirts in cameron?

MikeS
01-31-2008, 09:59 PM
King needs to get smarter. He doesn't have a high BB IQ right now.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-31-2008, 10:06 PM
It looks like the team shares the overconfidence of the posts in this thread - this is simply terrible - not smart basketball :(

Jim

duke211
01-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Why do this now? This is the worst they played since last year. With NCS bigmen we might not come back.
Come on guys play smart

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
01-31-2008, 10:07 PM
What a Beeping piece of Beep! I hate this d-bag. Im sorry, i know there is some dislike around here for some of the other commentators, but he has got to be the most BIAS Beeper I have ever had the displeasure of listening to.

MikeS
01-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Need to give Henderson more touches. Once again the bench is struggline wiht only 2 points.

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
P.s. Go Duke!

Duke79UNLV77
Every run against us this year has seen pretty good big men looking like All-Americans against us on the boards and in the post. Even against Pitt, Zoubek got 3 boards in 6 minutes. We could really use that right about now.

Hopefully, the second half will be better.

T.Sellers
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Even if the basketball isn't any better, at least the crazies don't look like they're wearing chewed broccoli.

Edit: and, it looks like the basketball is better. Go Duke!

Karl Beem
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
We need to bench Paulus.:rolleyes:

beltwayBD
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
We need to bench Paulus.:rolleyes:

Nice 3!!

gotoguy
01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Well....maybe not

Methodistman
01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
I just realized what was going on. In the first half I was wearing a green shirt to try to fit in with the crowd, and at half I changed back into my standard Duke game shirt - hopefully that will take care of the problems, as it seems to be working so far!

Karl Beem
01-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Definitely bench him!:D

Methodistman
01-31-2008, 10:32 PM
yep - burning the shirt right now . . .

chattpanther
01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Why the green shirts? I wasn't sure if someone answered this already.

mph
01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm glad Paulus didn't wear green!

Chard
01-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Somebody please get Lance a years supply of Muscle Milk.