PDA

View Full Version : The Latest from the Mummy - Comment

gw67
01-30-2008, 10:01 AM
I like the articles posted by Thad Mumau on the DBR front page; however, I think that today’s article had some poor reasoning. He concluded that the Duke freshmen were the most productive followed by Virginia Tech, BC and Wake. The three Duke freshmen are very good young players but I think a fair reading of the stats and my recent observations would indicate that the freshmen at Virginia Tech are the most productive group so far this season and that the youngsters at BC and Wake are playing well and are probably the equals of the Devils’ trio.

Overall, I think this ACC freshmen class is good with about ten starters and a bunch of talented players who appear to be four year kids. Tech did an excellent job of recruiting and their class would have been even better had Gilchrist (now at Maryland) decided to honor his commitment.

gw67

shadowfax336
01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
The freshmen on those other teams have to carry a much bigger load than ours do. I have no doubt that if it was necessary, all 3 of our freshmen could average 15ppg for a low level BCS school. The difference is that they're being asked to complement D-Marc and G and Jon, not be stars or carry the team all on their own

juise
01-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Gilchrist (now at Maryland)

I believe Gus is still in high school (http://maryland.scout.com/a.z?s=174&p=8&c=1&nid=3290154), but has committed to Maryland (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/recruiting/2007/10/gilchrist_found_right_fit_with_maryland.html).

gw67
01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
shadow - Your point is well taken. However, Mummy's point was about production not talent (although there is an obvious connection). A case can be made that Nolan Smith is a better player than Dulaney of Virginia Tech but so far Delaney has been more productive, IMO. I think the balanced scoring may have an impact on the All conference choices at the end of the season. Nelson appears to be a clear choice for All ACC 1st team but I think that is likely that only one other Duke player (Singler or Henderson) will be selected on either the 2nd or 3rd teams.

I started this thread because Mummy's evaluation was flawed and I think many on the board have blinders on when it comes to evaluating opposing players throughout the league. Virginia Tech may be in disfavor as of now but they brought in a good class of kids who have been a big reason they have a winning record in ACC play.

gw67

shadowfax336
01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
But my point is that a player's productivity can only be fairly measured compared to what he is being asked to do. Singler, Smith, and King have done everything asked of them and have been very productive for Duke. The mummy is rating them based on how they've produced so far, and I would say that Duke's freshmen have transformed this team, something that Vtechs players have not managed to do, Vtech is the same or worse as last year (admittedly they lost more than us, but I hope you see my point)

gw67
01-30-2008, 03:08 PM
juise - I am pretty sure that I read that Gilchrist is taking classes at College Park and that he should be able to start playing the second semester next year. He lost a year of elgibility because he transferred within the conference.

shadow - That is a neverending argument and we would not settle it before the cows come home (and based on growing up on a farm we would be in for a long wait). The Tech youngsters have also been productive and I propose that the Hokies, who lost their top players from last year's team, would be no where near as good without them.

gw67