PDA

View Full Version : Green in Cameron -- Discussion of taking action in Cameron ONLY

dukeENG2003
01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2367142/

Is it just me, or do others feel that Cameron is a place for watching BASKETBALL games, and not making "statements". Its not that I hate the environment, far from it, but I go to Cameron to support the team, not the "green movement".

I'll be wearing the same blue shirt that I always wear. I frankly don't even like the non blue/white Duke shirts that have become such the rage.

Indoor66
01-29-2008, 12:37 PM

Is it just me, or do others feel that Cameron is a place for watching BASKETBALL games, and not making "statements". Its not that I hate the environment, far from it, but I go to Cameron to support the team, not the "green movement".

I'll be wearing the same blue shirt that I always wear. I frankly don't even like the non blue/white Duke shirts that have become such the rage.

I agree. Leave out the political statements. Cameron is for BB (and for lovers).

Devil07
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM
The Blue Devil mascot also will have a slight costume change during the game

Goodbye Blue Devil; Hello Greenzo!
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200711/20071106tv_rock_500.jpg

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM

The current heat wave in Cameron may make those green shirts change color because of sweating!

blazindw
01-29-2008, 12:50 PM

I agree, plus there are other ways of getting the message across without telling everyone to dress in green. The line monitors can make the wristbands for that game green, they could have green silicone bands (like the "Livestrong" bands), or something like that. No need to have the Crazies dress in green.

pamtar
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I agree. Leave out the political statements. Cameron is for BB (and for lovers).

What does being green have to do with politics?

Olympic Fan
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM
As long as they don't disrupt the game or demand that I follow suit, I have no problem with any students or fans who feel it's important to make this -- or any other -- political statement. Especially something as passive as wearing a green tee-shirt.

I'll be wearing a blue shirt, but maybe I'll wear an Obama button.

PS Any other oldtimes remember the bit of guerrilla theater that disrupted a game in the late 1960s? During a timeout, a bunch of students jumped on the court and staged an anti-Vietnam War playlet -- they set up a peaceful Vietnamese village and had a dozen US "soldiers" sweep through and destroy the village, killing all the women and children. Not very subtle. Definately not Tony-worthy ... and disruptive of the game. I have more sympathy for the students who expressed their opposition to the war by not standing for the national anthem (a big issue in the late '60s and early '70s).

jjasper0729
01-29-2008, 12:59 PM

ugh. it's basketball, not congress... sheesh.

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 01:08 PM

I think this is a great thing. If the students feel passionate about something, it is fully within their right to express that feeling. Student activism has always been a hallmark of change in this country, and the Cameron Crazies have a rare national audience through which to advocate change. The game will still go on, they will cheer as loud as ever and Duke will play as hard as ever.

devil84
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
I agree, plus there are other ways of getting the message across without telling everyone to dress in green. The line monitors can make the wristbands for that game green, they could have green silicone bands (like the "Livestrong" bands), or something like that. No need to have the Crazies dress in green.

I think blue shirts with green shorts would be appropriate.

- della

wiscodevil
01-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I think this is a great thing. If the students feel passionate about something, it is fully within their right to express that feeling. Student activism has always been a hallmark of change in this country, and the Cameron Crazies have a rare national audience through which to advocate change. The game will still go on, they will cheer as loud as ever and Duke will play as hard as ever.

agree 100%

LetItBD08
01-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of ambivalent on this. It's going to be one funky mesh of blue and green in the student section, I'd imagine. Kind of wish they sent a message to the students to fill us in though.

dukeENG2003
01-29-2008, 01:39 PM

Edit: read it a bit more carefully, this IS student driven.

Not a huge deal, I just think we have enough trouble turning the place blue, the last thing we need is a competing color. I applaud all the rest of the ideas that are being done for this game. I'll still be wearing blue though.

shadowfax336
01-29-2008, 01:45 PM
The problem is that this isn't coming through the students, its coming through the administration, making it fairly obnoxious and contrived, and meaning that the student section is probably going to be a fairly obnoxious mix of green and blue...

shadowfax336
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM

Not a huge deal, I just think we have enough trouble turning the place blue, the last thing we need is a competing color. I applaud all the rest of the ideas that are being done for this game. I'll still be wearing blue though.

The national effort is student driven, and it may or may not be student driven here... but as a student this is the first I heard about it, and apparently the administration is going to try to pretty much just shove this down the Crazies throats...

juise
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I would propose green headbands/sweatbands instead of shirts. I guess the statement wouldn't be as strong, though.

shadowfax336
01-29-2008, 01:53 PM
the problem with this whole thing is that its not something they're trying to advertise and build support for, so the people who care about this can come to the game or so people who disagree with the idea can argue about it. Apparently they're just going to hand out the t-shirts at the game and tell people to wear them...
which honestly makes the contrary part of me just want to wear blue (or purple for that matter) just because I don't like being pressured to make a political statement without being given warning first

-jk
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I think blue shirts with green shorts would be appropriate.

- della

Green!... Shorts!... Green!... Shorts!... :)

Brings back memories!

-jk

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 01:56 PM

Huh? I said it was student-driven.

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 01:57 PM
The problem is that this isn't coming through the students, its coming through the administration, making it fairly obnoxious and contrived, and meaning that the student section is probably going to be a fairly obnoxious mix of green and blue...

That's not what the article said.

DoubleDuke Dad
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Duke will purchase carbon offsets equivalent to the electricity, steam and transportation consumed by the game, working in partnership with the renewable-energy company NativeEnergy.

Now that I know that the game will be carbon neutral I have no more worries about the result of the game.

Yes that is sarcasm. We do have an off topic board for political (religious?) topics. This discussion really belongs there.

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Duke will purchase carbon offsets equivalent to the electricity, steam and transportation consumed by the game, working in partnership with the renewable-energy company NativeEnergy.

Now that I know that the game will be carbon neutral I have no more worries about the result of the game.

Yes that is sarcasm. We do have an off topic board for political (religious?) topics. This discussion really belongs there.

It also involves Duke basketball and thus will stay on the Duke basketball board.

Uncle Drew
01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

While I TOTALLY agree with this post it brings up something I have heard and questioned many times over the last 20 years. While I don't see the environment as a true "political" statement (yes the government can implement laws but we all have to do our part) but I view it as a world issue that needs addressing more than anything else. I have been told by members of my family that during the late 1960's and early 1970's Duke students at football and basketball games would not stand during the singing / playing of the national anthem. (Apparently in protest of Vietnam.) I've been told this "protest" was common at many schools across the nation, and I know schools like Kent State and Berkley for examples had much more extreme confrontations. I also have seen footage of the Olympic games where athletes raised their right fist to symbolize "black power" on the medal platform.

The 60's were a different era than now, and I realize views change over time and intentions no matter how good can be viewed positively and negatively in retrospect. But I'd like to know if the sitting during the national anthem at Duke games is in fact true for one. And I'd like opinions by those who might have seen it, how it was perceived back then and by those who didn't see it now. Are there any causes today worthy of todays students doing something radical. The streaker from several years back did something radical, but I think it was in support of a website if memory serves correctly.

DoubleDuke Dad
01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Not to be argumentative, Jumbo, but how does it involve Duke Basketball? Whether the students wear green, blue or any other color will not affect how the team plays in any way, shape or form. The only thing I want to see when I watch a Duke Basketball game is Duke scoring more points that the opposition.

Cameron
01-29-2008, 02:41 PM
This better only be a one game only kind of thing. The only reason there is going to be a game with NC State in Cameron on Thursday is because of BASKETBALL. That's the important issue here, not recycling. Please.

If seperating plastics and glass from ordinary throw aways is more important to someone than cheering on Duke Blue Devil Basketball, then that someone should stay in the corridor and man the trash barrels. I would have no problem with those volunteers wearing green boxes over their heads as long as I couldn't see them.

This is unfortunate. Cameron is a basketball cathedral, not a tree-hugger fantasy camp.

I agree with DBFan and Blue Devil Jay. Duke University is very LAME for trying to exploit itself in this manner. How absurd. Get this crap out of our stadium and take it elsewhere.

John McCain '08

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Not to be argumentative, Jumbo, but how does it involve Duke Basketball? Whether the students wear green, blue or any other color will not affect how the team plays in any way, shape or form. The only thing I want to see when I watch a Duke Basketball game is Duke scoring more points that the opposition.

It's about an event taking place at a Duke basketball game in Cameron.

MulletMan
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I will wear black to symbolize the death of good taste and common sense. Also because its my only clean Duke T-shirt. Also because this seems silly, and I am tired of Cameron pimping crap like every other stadium in America.

This week T-shirts, a couple of weeks ago towels to swing about**... what's next... a white out a la Penn State? Perhaps a black out a la UGa? Maybe we could all wear matching tye-dyed T's!?!?! Wouldn't that be f-ing awesome!?!! Or perhaps we could hand out giant swirly-signs and foam bricks to distract free throw shooters! What about getting rid of the pep band and piping that damn o-o-o-o o-o-o-o-o o-o o o-o o o! song into Cameron like they do in Seattle and at Wake and at Maryland and at Clemson and at...? Yeah that will be coooooool!

** With all apologies to Herb, I mean, it was awesome that they had you surfing during Wipeout that night, but seriously, free towels stunk!

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 03:22 PM
I will wear black to symbolize the death of good taste and common sense. Also because its my only clean Duke T-shirt. Also because this seems silly, and I am tired of Cameron pimping crap like every other stadium in America.

This week T-shirts, a couple of weeks ago towels to swing about**... what's next... a white out a la Penn State? Perhaps a black out a la UGa? Maybe we could all wear matching tye-dyed T's!?!?! Wouldn't that be f-ing awesome!?!! Or perhaps we could hand out giant swirly-signs and foam bricks to distract free throw shooters! What about getting rid of the pep band and piping that damn o-o-o-o o-o-o-o-o o-o o o-o o o! song into Cameron like they do in Seattle and at Wake and at Maryland and at Clemson and at...? Yeah that will be coooooool!

** With all apologies to Herb, I mean, it was awesome that they had you surfing during Wipeout that night, but seriously, free towels stunk!

I'd agree with you if they were handing out generic Duke t-shirts. But this is a unique situation -- the students are making a statement -- and I don't see it as part of any slippery slope.

MulletMan
01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
But its NOT the first time they've handed stuff out. And it appears to be news to the students... at least the majority of them. Note that the article even says "The University announced..."

Regardless... this is not the first time that they're giving junk out at the door and saying, "here... display this during the game".

Indoor66
01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
On the basketball board we talk about basketball. In basketball arenas we are about basketball. In front of the arena, outside of the arena, on the quad, whatever, there you have your demonstrations or advocacy moments.

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 03:30 PM
On the basketball board we talk about basketball. In basketball arenas we are about basketball. In front of the arena, outside of the arena, on the quad, whatever, there you have your demonstrations or advocacy moments.

That's your opinion. You are entitled to it. But do you see that other people can feel differently?

Duvall
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
To me, that is Duke University exploiting the team for its own personal benefit, and I won't stand for that.

I am shocked - shocked and dismayed - by the prospect of a university exploiting student-athletes for its own personal benefit. And it's not even for something legitimate, like pure greed.

Uncle Drew
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM

The Ooooo, ooooo song I think you are referring to is Zombie Nation by Kernkraft 400. Although I love that song (brings back special memories of some fun raves) you aren't the only one that hates it and I like it less knowing Wake uses it often at their basketball games. Me thinks if a song were titled "Zombie Nation" I wouldn't use it as a pep song. Doesn't that infer a schools / teams fans are nothing but a bunch of mindless zombies with no control over who they pull for? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

The back and forth between Jumbo and Mullet has had me snickering quite a bit, but a question just popped into my head. Can a moderator censor or ban another mod? Get em' JB!!!!!

Cameron
01-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I am shocked - shocked and dismayed - by the prospect of a university exploiting student-athletes for its own personal benefit. And it's not even for something legitimate, like pure greed.

Uh....Yeah, you win:D

I guess I should have just said I don't want to see green shirts on my television screen Thursday. How's that?

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
No, it's not. It's just the absurdity of the whole situation that bothers me. Duke University has no business trying to platform its global warming/saving trees/live and breathe/let's all save and believe progaganda at a basketball game.

Again, the article says this is a national "student-driven effort" and the first person quoted as a leader is a Duke grad student, not a Duke University official. Meanwhile, I think your derogatory "global warming/saving trees/live and breathe/let's all save and believe progaganda" statement reveals more about your own biases than anything negative you could say about the situation.

Cameron is home to the Blue Devils, after all. Why try and overshadow the importance of the team beating NC State with enviromental protests?

I don't think the intent is to "overshadow" anything. It's to draw attention to an issue people about which some students are passionate. Those who believe in it will wear green shirts. Those who don't will not. But sporting events, entertainment and host of other areas have ALWAYS been considered venues through which to make a statement. Sports capture the public's attention. Otherwise, why have a fly-over with military jets before the Super Bowl? Why have the President throw out the first pitch on Opening Day? Why honor charitable workers at halftime? All of those things draw attention away from the game, technically.

I have nothing wrong with this type of awareness activity being demonstrated, but just not at a Duke Basketball game.
So, where should it happen? And would you have a problem with individual students choosing to where individual outfits with individually tailored messages? Is it the mass-nature of this movement that bothers you?

To me, that is Duke University exploiting the team for its own personal benefit, and I won't stand for that.

How is the "team" being exploited? If the Crazies are voluntarily wearing t-shirts, they aren't exploiting anyone. If the students are helping organize this, Duke University isn't exploiting anyone. And if you won't stand for it, what do you plan to do about it? Sit for it? ;)

I shudder to think what might happen to you if Taylor King announced that he was going to donate $10 for alternative fuel research for every 3 he hit... ;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-29-2008, 04:24 PM

The items you mentioned being handed out at basketball games were ads for a corporate sponsor or partner, a cell phone company, not the university.

dukeENG2003
01-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow guys, I just want to see people wear school colors to a basketball game. This is an issue I had even BEFORE they proposed wearing green. Frankly, I just don't like that they are handing out green shirts, yet they haven't handed out blue shirts ONCE.

If the university is gonna pay to hand out T-shirts, I'd prefer they be oriented to school spirit, rather than a social/global/political/whatever the heck you wanna call it "movement". I preferred the towels, at least they got people fired up.

Duvall
01-29-2008, 04:27 PM
This could mark the shift to green as the next school color. Black is so '90s.

johnb
01-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Student driven. Good cause. Conservation isn't political, to my mind. Will get press because it's Cameron. Go for it.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Wow guys, I just want to see people wear school colors to a basketball game. This is an issue I had even BEFORE they proposed wearing green. Frankly, I just don't like that they are handing out green shirts, yet they haven't handed out blue shirts ONCE.

If the university is gonna pay to hand out T-shirts, I'd prefer they be oriented to school spirit, rather than a social/global/political/whatever the heck you wanna call it "movement". I preferred the towels, at least they got people fired up.
I agree about handing out school colors. I would love to see Cameron or Wallace Wade Duke blue for home games..... what a beautiful sight!

The blue shirts handed out in the past at football games were also corporate ads, very cheaply made and smelled bad..... that's another thread, I guess!

crote
01-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Wow guys, I just want to see people wear school colors to a basketball game. This is an issue I had even BEFORE they proposed wearing green.

Exactly. I don't care one way or the other about the green shirts as a one off thing. I just wish more than 10% of the old people sitting upstairs would find it a good idea to wear school colors to a basketball game.

shadowfax336
01-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Student driven. Good cause. Conservation isn't political, to my mind. Will get press because it's Cameron. Go for it.

Usually a "student driven" movement would indicate that the majority of the student body knows about it. This has gotten no press, no pub on campus, and nobody I've talked to besides friends in the band know about it, and they only know because they've been told they have to wear the shirts instead of their usual rugbys. Whether it was a student or administration idea, the administration has basically just decided to make this happen and they're going ahead and doing it without informing or consulting the general student population, IE the people who are actually going to be making this "statement" for them

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Exactly. I don't care one way or the other about the green shirts as a one off thing. I just wish more than 10% of the old people sitting upstairs would find it a good idea to wear school colors to a basketball game.
Old people? Is that all we are?

Most of the people where I sit DO wear Duke blue and white.

Richard Berg
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Jumbo -- your efforts to keep the thread on track are admirable.

Why try and overshadow the importance of the team beating NC State with enviromental protests?
Do you really think that's what the students are trying to do? Is it even possible? For all the cachet the Crazies have built in the national media, I don't think there's a color of the rainbow capable of overshadowing the on-court action.

Nevertheless, the perspective behind your question made me giggle a bit. Trust me, I understand how "important" Duke beating NC State seems to us here in the Triangle. Yet the environment is a wee bit bigger issue. There is nothing political about recognizing that.

jlear
01-29-2008, 04:46 PM

From what I can tell, the "Focus the Nation" events on Jan 31 at Universities are student driven because the Focus the Nation organization does not have enough people to run all of the events. The organization "Focus the Nation" is NOT a student run organization see their about link (http://www.focusthenation.org/whoweare.php).

From what I have been able to find out from students, most didn't know anything about it and many while they appreciate the free shirt and support being "Green" they will opt to not wear the shirt during the game.

I would bet that some students will choose to wear them and some not just like with every other t-shirt giveaway.

jlear
01-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Nevertheless, the perspective behind your question made me giggle a bit. Trust me, I understand how "important" Duke beating NC State seems to us here in the Triangle. Yet the environment is a wee bit bigger issue. There is nothing political about recognizing that.

In this world, there are thousands of issues more important than basketball, but for many of us for 120 minutes on Thursday Basketball will be the only issue.

The environment is more important than this message board so please turn off your computer now if you do not agree with me.

LetItBD08
01-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Just received this email that was sent to all undergrads:

Have you ever complained about the weather being too hot? Have you ever wondered, “Gee, what’s with these crazy droughts/floods/hurricanes/wildfires lately?”? Have you ever seen a picture of a polar bear drowning? If you answered yes to any of these questions, global warming concerns you. If you answered no, but are planning on living past the age of 40, global warming still concerns you.

As an uber-busy Duke student, it’s sometimes hard to become involved in an international issue. This Thursday, for example, you are probably planning to spend your time going to class, watching LOST, studying, and/or waiting in line for the basketball game. However, this Thursday is unique amongst others in that we are providing you with an opportunity to get involved in various ways in finding solutions to global climate change as a part of Focus the Nation.

Focus the Nation is a campaign across the US to provide students with the rational discussion about climate change that we will need to deal with this challenge in the future. We’ve created a day chock full of events on campus that would be fun and valuable to every student here, from the tree-hugger to the die-hard skeptic and all of us in between.

For a schedule of events, please visit duke.edu/sustainability or join the event on facebook. Just a preview: there is a critical mass bike ride at 10:30; Stella by Starlight is playing on the plaza at noon where lots of cool, fair-trade stuff will be sold; students and politicians will be discussing climate change solutions in Von Cannon A at 6:30 with free food following; and the Crazies are going green at that night’s men’s game with free green t-shirts and body paint (no worries guys, NC State’s color is red). Even Coach K will be wearing a green ribbon in support. All this and more is happening, and we want you to be a part of it.

So please take some time during the day Thursday to go to at least one event. Who knows, you may learn something that surprises you….or at least get some good food and a t-shirt out of it. Thanks and we can’t wait to see you!

Kelsey, Trinity ‘10
Jennie, Nicholas School for the Environment
Anna, Trinity ‘10

OldSchool
01-29-2008, 05:16 PM

I propose that there be a couple of large cardboard boxes (made from recycled cardboard of course) stationed near where the t-shirts are being handed out with large lettering on the side "TO BE FORWARDED TO COACH MIKE BREY AT NOTRE DAME." Students who are apathetic or who do not wish to convey the impression that they have signed on the entire agenda of the green movement can, when they are handed the t-shirts, "recycle" them by discarding them into the boxes, where they can then be shipped to Notre Dame, where the school color really is green, and students can support the Fighting Irish by filling the stands wearing their free green t-shirts.

rsvman
01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, at least the e-mail sent to the students clears up the question as to whether the issue they are focusing on is global warming or not.

Lavabe
01-29-2008, 05:33 PM
This event is going on across the nation at most universities, from what I've seen. We have it going on over here in Atlanta as well.

It's an education-oriented day: faculty lectures, a joint podcast of a conference, etc... Students, faculty, and admin get to set their own agenda as to what will go on at each university. As Duke IS a leader in sustainability and environmental studies, I don't have any issue with how students choose to, or choose not to, support it. It's fellow students organizing it at Duke ... I'd support their efforts if I were/was faculty there.

BD80's comments about water bottles and so forth are usually handled directly by a university's department of sustainability. We've had more of a movement on campus to address the very issue that BD80 mentioned, but each university has its own procedures. Tell it to the office of sustainability on campus.

I wouldn't consider it a demonstration. It's a chance for all schools to focus on a common topic ... for even a little bit.

If it's good enough for K and some students, it's good enough for me!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Wander
01-29-2008, 05:38 PM
At the Miami game, let's all wear multicolored stuff to support gay rights. The game after that, we can wear yellow and black show support for Skip Prosser's death. Then, afterwards, we can wear light blue to show support for all the UNC fans who were emotionally damaged by the Tar Heels' loss to Maryland. This is the start of something fantastic.

Lavabe
01-29-2008, 05:39 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought someone was talking about the dancing Tar Hole.

WHEW!!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Shammrog
01-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Does that make Coach K a tree hugger too?

Newsflash: Its possible for someone to care about our environment and not be a liberal, God-hating, anti-American hippie

Sure it is! In fact, to a degree I resemble that last remark.

What I find silly and wasteful is the university buying t-shirts, and (worse) buying carbon offsets. With students and their families going into debt to finance their educations at Duke, is this really a good use of University money? Gimme a break.

TampaDuke
01-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I personally don't care if the students want to make a statement in support of the environment, I only hope that the announcers don't ignore the game any more than they ordinarily do to discuss the topic at length.

III
01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
As evidenced by the email, the fundamental problem here is that this event was not something organized by the Cameron Crazies themselves. An outside group is implanting the idea that "even the Cameron Crazies will be decked out in green" in such a way so that anyone who isn't one of the most diehard Crazies will think they're obligated to do it by the Cameron Crazies. This is invasive and unfair to the Crazies, especially those who work really hard to get the place fired up and in cohesive support of the team. Had the movement been an actual internal effort of the Crazies, (more) people would have known about it prior, and would be more likely to make their own decision on the matter. Honestly, if the leaders of the student section didn't do the cheers they did and wear what they do, nobody else would. There would be no cohesion. For another group to come and act as such a leadership body without asking the Crazies themselves is intrusive and unacceptable.

Jumbo
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
As evidenced by the email, the fundamental problem here is that this event was not something organized by the Cameron Crazies themselves. An outside group is implanting the idea that "even the Cameron Crazies will be decked out in green" in such a way so that anyone who isn't one of the most diehard Crazies will think they're obligated to do it by the Cameron Crazies. This is invasive and unfair to the Crazies, especially those who work really hard to get the place fired up and in cohesive support of the team. Had the movement been an actual internal effort of the Crazies, (more) people would have known about it prior, and would be more likely to make their own decision on the matter. Honestly, if the leaders of the student section didn't do the cheers they did and wear what they do, nobody else would. There would be no cohesion. For another group to come and act as such a leadership body without asking the Crazies themselves is intrusive and unacceptable.

That's a really interesting point and far more persuasive than [INSERT ANGRY GLOBAL-WARMING-IS-BUNK RHETORIC]. Clearly, there should have been better communication among the group that organized this and the Crazies. It shouldn't have required more than a trip to K-Ville to get people on board, right? Poor planning.

And for the record, I detest the idea of everyone wearing blue every game. As we always used to say on DBR -- "More Random in Cameron!"

DukieInKansas
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM

I really don't care if they show up in green or not. I make no judgement on global warming - whether you believe global warming is due to man or the earth's normal cycles, recycling and conserving energy and resources is a good thing. I think we all need to be better stewards of the earth and our resources.

I take exception to the above claim that no one would do the cheers if there weren't leaders to organize them. I'm showing my age by admitting that I was attending games as a student in pre-tenting days. My longest time in line was 13 hours in the rain (yeah yeah - uphill both ways, little sister on my back, etc.) We had no cheer sheets that I know of and I didn't hear much discussed in line about what cheers would occur. We still managed to get the whole student section on board with cheers and harrassment of opponents. (Green shorts, keys rattling for an NCSU student every time he touched the ball, bald heads for Lefty Driesell, etc.) Duke students are intelligent people. They don't need to be given a roadmap in order to cheer their team. I think a small group could start a cheer and the crowd would quickly catch on to the cheer and why it is being done without an explanation beforehand.

End of thread hijack. Continue the global warming/green/administration vs student led argument. I plan on enjoying the game and watching our Duke team beat NCSU.
GTH, C, GTH

III
01-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I think a small group could start a cheer and the crowd would quickly catch on to the cheer and why it is being done without an explanation beforehand.

Yes, this is what I meant. I also didn't mean to imply that cheers wouldn't start. I'm simply saying (for example) if the Crazies last year didn't do "Let's go devils, clap,clap, clap-clap-clap", its unlikely that particular cheer would occur on its own. There is a culture of tradition and leadership within the Crazies that I feel was infringed upon here.

Cameron
01-29-2008, 10:28 PM

To be honest, I am much more concerned with Duke winning as many games, ACC titles, and national championships over the course of Jon Scheyer's or Taylor King's careers than I am about the green movement or saving the wild. Truthfully, if taking a canoe out to sea and littering a trail of 3,500 six pack plastic wraps meant DeMarcus Nelson going out a champion this season, I'd already be paddling.

In all reality, I don't think any world changing argument is necessary to prove how silly wearing green shirts to a Duke basketball game really is. It's a cheesy gimmick at best, and not even one most will care to think once about, let alone take action because of it. It's a Duke basketball game for Chrissake.

Subjects such as whether or not Duke is going to hit 90 or how far out King Taylor will shoot if he catches fire are all that should matter when viewing a game inside Cameron. Life's everyday issues aren't going anywhere; they will still be waiting for you outside the stadium. So put on a blue hoodie and cheer your head off for a couple of hours. That's why many love sports so deeply, to forget everything else, if just for awhile.

And if nothing else, I just like watching my Devils play before a sea of blue, as do many others.

Also, no offense, Jumbo, but "more random in Cameron" seems more cliched than it actually does inventive, at least in my eyes. Sorry, but there is such a thing as trying too hard. I love the Crazies just as much as the next guy--they are as big a part of Cameron's historic legacy as the actual building itself--but sometimes dressing up in a giant penny costume is just dressing up in a giant penny costume...

Jumbo
01-30-2008, 12:43 AM
This thread is for discussing the idea of students wearing green shirts on Thursday, not for debating environmental issues. That can be done on the thread created on the Public Policy board. Thank you.

DBFAN
01-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Sorry for getting so heated about the whole green thing, I guess everyone is allowed to their own opionion. The only real thing that I will care about on Thursday is that we make Sidney (or Sydney I always forget) sweat so much his jacket turns green.

Jumbo
01-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Discussion of the environmental debate can continue here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6425&page=2).

CALVET
01-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Problem is that, as in the rest of the world, the student body probably isn't of one accord with the green issue and the wearing of political colors could be eventually be a divisive distraction from supporting the game.

Capn Poptart
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Kudos to the students and university; it makes me even prouder to be a Duke alumnus.

Richard Berg
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't know, but we probably wouldn't do it because there is no real connection between the two issues.
To be fair, there is /some/ connection. If you wore green to a political rally, people could rightfully assume you had allegiance to the Green Party (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_party), which does hold some of those views. But making that association at CIS would be a huge mistake. You may as well argue that wearing blue is a commentary on American "blue states".

Hopefully there is no such confusion. I strongly agree with the earlier posters who pointed out ways the student efforts could be better organized.

mehmattski
01-30-2008, 03:16 PM
A far worse problem in Cameron on Thursday will be the sight of hundreds of people wearing red. Every game, my fellow grad students seem intent on giving away their hard-earned season passes to folks who don't support Duke, and that makes me sad.

Frybay
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
I will be wearing my dark blue as usual!

I think a better idea than wearing green shirts is to throw greenbacks in the air because that is all the hotheads want is your money!

Now let's beat state & GTHC!

Jumbo
01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Which part of "debate environmentalism on the Public Policy Board" are some of you having trouble understanding? This thread is purely for discussing the basketball implications. So now I've got to move more posts. Yay.

Indoor66
01-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Which part of "debate environmentalism on the Public Policy Board" are some of you having trouble understanding? This thread is purely for discussing the basketball implications. So now I've got to move more posts. Yay.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I don't see any "basketball implications" in the green demonstration at at Duke basketball game. It is an advocacy program for a policy that not a BB fans agree with and is divisive of BB fans. I am not commenting on the good/bad of the policy, just on the concept of presenting one side as a sponsored event at a Cameron situs Duke Basketball Game. IMO this thread, in it's entirety, belongs on the Off Topic or Policy board.

watzone
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I don't see any "basketball implications" in the green demonstration at at Duke basketball game. It is an advocacy program for a policy that not a BB fans agree with and is divisive of BB fans. I am not commenting on the good/bad of the policy, just on the concept of presenting one side as a sponsored event at a Cameron situs Duke Basketball Game. IMO this thread, in it's entirety, belongs on the Off Topic or Policy board.

I have to agree on this one.

I grew up in an age of activism and saw a lot of it in Cameron, but the students never, ever wore any color other than blue (for the most part). I still feel there is a better way to push the cause rather than "somewhat" take away from the atomosphere the players deserve. Hold up signs if you must, but keep Cameron pure blue;)

watzone
01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Well, I guess we'll get on board.

Cameron Going GreenOn Jan. 31, Duke University will participate in Focus the Nation – a national teach-in that will engage millions of students and citizens around global warming solutions. The day’s activities feature events across campus including expert panels, a sustainability fair on the Bryant Center Plaza and a green democracy roundtable with North Carolina elected officials. The day will culminate in a carbon-neutral Duke basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium, where much of the Duke blue will turn green. The famed Cameron Crazies will get free green t-shirts emblazoned with the Green Devil and the slogan, “Bleed Blue. Live Green.” The pep band’s blue and white crew shirts will be swapped for green and white, and the Blue Devil mascot will don a special green cape for the occasion. -GoDuke.com

Lavabe
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM

Cameron Going GreenOn Jan. 31, Duke University will participate in Focus the Nation – a national teach-in that will engage millions of students and citizens around global warming solutions. The day’s activities feature events across campus including expert panels, a sustainability fair on the Bryant Center Plaza and a green democracy roundtable with North Carolina elected officials. The day will culminate in a carbon-neutral Duke basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium, where much of the Duke blue will turn green. The famed Cameron Crazies will get free green t-shirts emblazoned with the Green Devil and the slogan, “Bleed Blue. Live Green.” The pep band’s blue and white crew shirts will be swapped for green and white, and the Blue Devil mascot will don a special green cape for the occasion. -GoDuke.com

So I guess that means there'll be no AC tonight?:D ;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

devil84
01-31-2008, 12:02 PM
As I stated at the beginning of this thread, I don't see any "basketball implications" in the green demonstration at at Duke basketball game.

There are basketball implications of the Focus the Nation event: the student section may not be wearing traditional blue and white tonight. Fans attending the game and those watching on TV will see this, and the atmosphere in Cameron may be different. That is the basketball implications. Discussion of changes in the appearance of the student body in CIS, actions of the student body in CIS, and fan reaction to the student body is on topic.

Whether the Focus the Nation event is good, bad, or indifferent can be debated on Public Policy.

PumpkinFunk
01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm just going to add my comments:

The green thing was a bit of a shock to most of the students here. I know many of my fellow DUMB members may not go to the game because we do not want to wear green t-shirts (as far as I know, we're not getting green and white rugbies, unless they've wasted their money to buy them for this game for us), and I don't expect the student section to overwhelmingly wear the green throughout the game. This will get some good publicity, no doubt, but it is kind of a forced thing. I think if it wasn't a conference game, especially against State, it would be different, but given that State is probably the 2nd biggest rivalry, the green is going to be bizarre. Game should be a load of fun, though, if the women's game was any indication.

FishStick
01-31-2008, 12:56 PM
the atmosphere in Cameron may be different.

Do you think people wearing green shirts will somehow cheer less than those wearing blue or white? Spontaneous discussions of non-basketball topics will lead to people ignoring the game?

I think part of the point was to foster discussion and it sure has done that. In the same vein, I am amazed at the amount of animosity aimed towards what I think amounts to a pretty trivial matter. People are going to boycott the game because they don't want to be given the option to wear green? Give me free tickets and you can gladly give me the option to wear a dress.

Bandy
01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Many of the posters here believe that a Basketball game is not a venue for activism on the basis that there is nothing but basketball happening there and green activism detracts from/is not related to it. I agree but only to an extent. As a Duke alum and a green activist, I would still like to see the students wearing T-shirts that say "Bleed Blue Live Green" but those T-shirts could still be blue! Logically if you bleed blue your clothing will be stained ... blue?

That said, the game does impact the environment. All the cars driving to CIS, all the trash generated by the spectators, the power consumed by the stadium, all directly impact our planet. So why not make this the platform to make the statement?

For what its worth, I can tell you that nationally this is a student-driven effort and a democratic one at that. Those who do not support it will wear something else. For the administrators, it is an opportunity for publicity.

There is no clear cut answer here, neither is there a party out to get everyone else. I just wish we could have had this with a Duke-Blue Crazies section and hopefully this does not impact the team.

I have to say that I am surprised, unpleasantly, that some of the people on this board are so prejudiced as to make me forget my lethargy and post.

devil84
01-31-2008, 02:27 PM
"The atmosphere in Cameron may be different." Yes, I think seeing green shirts in Cameron and the pep band in something other than their blue and white rugby shirts will foster a different atmosphere. No, the noise and cheers likely won't be impacted. But it will be a bit jarring to see *green* in Cameron. Distracting to those of us who have been attending games since the mid 70s, to say the least.

Do I mind the students making a statement? Um...as the Class of the Avuncular Letter, we made plenty of statements. ;) While I'd like to keep Cameron's fan making statements about the game, perhaps there might be a time to make other statements, too, though I'm REALLY not sure that the STATE game is the time! Maybe some of the other non-conference games would have been better. However, this is the day that 1750 other schools are doing the same thing. We didn't get a choice of dates to do this. (If we had played the game on the traditional Wednesday night, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but I digress....)

I'd be much happier if it were student-driven instead of forced upon them. I'm not happy with messing with the pep band uniforms (which doesn't seem to be optional for them), though that's just me being a grumpy old alumna spouting my opinion (which seems to be shared by more than a few around here). I like the fact that our fans are free to wear whatever they like, and aren't told what to wear, even if it is optional.

Is this a trivial matter? Not to me! I like my Cameron Crazies just the way they are, thank you very much! I've been going to games way too long, and I like the tradition. I sit behind the pep band, looking across the TV side of students. I LOVE the various shades of blue, white, and grey. I don't want to see them all in the same shirt, particularly if it's not blue! However, in the grand scheme of things, the game will still go on, the Crazies will still be loud, and the world won't stop spinning if the students are wearing green t-shirts in Cameron.

I do think that with the huge water crisis here in the Triangle (there are only about 100 days of water left), that it might not be a bad idea that the Duke students are seen caring about the environment. A little good PR about the students can't hurt at all, and perhaps it might inspire others to change a behavior or two to help the environment (let's face it, almost every basketball fan in the Triangle will be watching -- that's quite an audience in this drought-stricken area!). But why green *shirts*? How 'bout wrist bands, ribbons, head bands, stickers, or my personal fave, green shorts? (Yeah, I'm that old!) How about every student use that free body paint and paint one hand green -- that could lead to some WAY cool visual effects!

So, I can see where some may think it's a relatively trivial matter. And that's OK. The game, and life, goes on. But I'm indulging myself in opining that forcing apparel on DUMB and Cameron Crazies IS a BIG DEAL. It's just not right.... (she says, pouting)

Another aside: the jump rope team, the Bouncing Bulldogs, was supposed to perform at halftime tonight, but other Focus the Nation events have moved them to another game. My daughter is good friends with one of the team members, and we were really looking forward to seeing them perform tonight. No Bouncing Bulldogs, green shirts in Cameron -- it's really got me rattled!! It's upsetting my pregame routine!! The HORROR! :D

watzone
01-31-2008, 02:45 PM
First of all, I recycle. I just can't get over the fact that a cause would ask people to put away their school colors in order to get to a point. Anybody think you would see Green Heels? Count me in on wristbands, ribbons or whatever. Why not put the team in green unis too? At least we dodged that one!

FishStick
01-31-2008, 02:57 PM
devil84

Thanks for the cogent response. While I agree the other items like wristbands might be less distressing to the routine, it also has less of an overall visual effect (which I think is the point). If these sort of t-shirt color events do become regular (for any cause, green, yellow, red, etc.), I agree that it will be distracting from the game and probably will be joining everyone posting about getting blue back in Cameron.

If this is truly a one-time, get out the message type of event, I have no problem with it, I applaud it, and wish I could be one of the students wearing green tonight. Maybe Duke fans watching will be sickened by the lack of blue in the stands and wear more to every future game! Everyone can be happy then?

wumhenry
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
For what its worth, I can tell you that nationally this is a student-driven effort and a democratic one at that. Those who do not support it will wear something else.

But whose money is paying for the teeshirts?

rthomas
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM

I would love one of those shirts. If you get one and don't want it let me know. XL or larger. Please send me a message.

Cameron
01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
I would love one of those shirts. If you get one and don't want it let me know.

Me, too. I need something to help start my bonfire after the victory tonight. Just PM me. I'll be outside rounding up some lumber with my saw.

This will be a sad night if the crowd is a majority green:( How unfortunate that this is actually happening.

Lavabe
01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Anybody think you would see Green Heels?

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!:eek:

Come to think of it, there's really not much of a difference between that and my reaction to the normally-colored Tar Holes.;)
I repeat ... EWWWWWWWWWWWW!:eek:

GTHCGTH,
Lavabe

rthomas
01-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Me, too. I need something to help start my bonfire after the victory tonight. Just PM me. I'll be outside rounding up some lumber with my saw.

This will be a sad night if the crowd is a majority green:( How unfortunate that this is actually happening.

Gee, the anger..so sad... Listen all of you with shirts, don't worry about imus-cameron. Send me an email. I'll proudly wear the shirts and participate in Focus the Nation as I did today at WVU!

Lavabe
01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Gee, the anger..so sad... Listen all of you with shirts, don't worry about imus-cameron. Send me an email. I'll proudly wear the shirts and participate in Focus the Nation as I did today at WVU!

You're not the only one who participated. I too will gladly take an XL.

Cheers,
Lavabe

rthomas
01-31-2008, 08:34 PM
You're not the only one who participated. I too will gladly take an XL.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Excellent! We'll share. My kids want them too!

Lotus000
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Green shirts = awful.

Awful, terrible, awful, terrible....

See where I'm going with this?

Thx.

mph
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
I've got no problem with students making whatever political statement they want to make, but man it's weird seeing all of that green in Cameron. I miss the blue shirts.

Lotus000
01-31-2008, 09:14 PM

My Lord! Thank you for sharing my sentiments......

rthomas
01-31-2008, 09:16 PM
I love it. Coach K is green too. He IS the man!

_Gary
01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Ughhh. That looks horrible over television. I mean really horrible, IMHO.

Gary

Clipsfan
01-31-2008, 09:25 PM
It doesn't help that the ND game was on before...It looks like we're still watching the crowd from that game.

Lotus000
01-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Ughhh. That looks horrible over television. I mean really horrible, IMHO.

Gary

It's more than horrible. It's grotesque. It's like Notre Dame post-overtime vomit in Cameron.

For the love of God, don't the Crazies realize they're testing the Basketball Gods' patience right now? If I were back in Cameron next to a peron in a green shirt, I'd have on a blue on with an arrow that said " <--- I'm with stupid."

Nesto
01-31-2008, 09:35 PM
It's more than horrible. It's grotesque. It's like Notre Dame post-overtime vomit in Cameron.

For the love of God, don't the Crazies realize they're testing the Basketball Gods' patience right now? If I were back in Cameron next to a peron in a green shirt, I'd have on a blue on with an arrow that said " <--- I'm with stupid."

Bravo for the idea.... but the green is hideous. Oh the humanity...

_Gary
01-31-2008, 09:54 PM
God forbid we lose this game. But if it happens, I'm laying it at the feet of all the students wearing that putrid green in Cameron. Bad mojo.

Gary

OldSchool
01-31-2008, 10:05 PM

It's terrible karma. I hope the basketball gods will decide that one half is enough of a price to pay for this abomination.

I really hate to see any politically-motivated group, whether it is those arguing for the idea that man has caused global warming or against, to try to take ownership of our noble and beloved Blue Devils team for their cause, which should belong to the entire university community and supporters, regardless of politics.

I am particular disappointed in the DUMB and Coach K signing on to this (and that RayCom read a message in support of the global warming message), because that indicates official university involvement and smacks of poor judgment shown by the administration throughout the lacrosse fiasco.

watzone
01-31-2008, 10:08 PM
When you are an 18.5 favorite (which is more than enuff to get a team up) over a rival you at least wear your school colors. The green is helping entice a strange atmosphere. NCSU is playing better and their play has the crazies quieter than normal. It's one messed up mojo atomosphere. Recycle those shirts at the half. Say it's silly, but the atmosphere is NOT true Cameron. The atomosphere has gotten into not only the players heads, but the crowds as well. It's an eye sore of misery and misplaced logic.

91devil
01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Why not pass out green wrist-bands for everyone to wear? That way everyone ends up uniformly wearing the same thing AND supporting the cause. Those green shirts are terrible.

As Crash Davis once said 'Don't f... with a winning streak'.

Awful.

Chard
01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
I think the team and the Crazies have the same problem. They bought the hype.

rthomas
01-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Damn it. It's Coach K's fault for wearing the green.

_Gary
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Things looking better. About 1/2 the green is gone. But the others need to follow suit to make sure our mojo is secure so that a comeback is assured.

Gary

Lavabe
01-31-2008, 10:22 PM
God forbid we lose this game. But if it happens, I'm laying it at the feet of all the students wearing that putrid green in Cameron. Bad mojo.

Gary

LGD!!!

Green guys are catching up!

Lavabe

Acymetric
01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
It doesn't help that the ND game was on before...It looks like we're still watching the crowd from that game.

Well, to be fair there wasn't really any green in the stands for ND. Mostly black.

Lavabe
01-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Things looking better. About 1/2 the green is gone. But the others need to follow suit to make sure our mojo is secure so that a comeback is assured.

Gary

All this talk of mojo sounds like Dr. Evil and Austin Powers.

obsesseddukefan
01-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Where the hell can I get one???:)

mph
01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Anybody else think those shirts were made out of Kryptonite? Thank God we took most of them off at the half.

OldSchool
01-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Anybody else think those shirts were made out of Kryptonite? Thank God we took most of them off at the half.

I never did hear an answer as to who paid for all of those shirts. Could it have been a certain university based in Raleigh?

devilirium
01-31-2008, 10:51 PM
Protesting the protest----priceless

Methodistman
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
I mentioned in another thread - I was wearing a green shirt to start the game to match the crazies - took it off at half . . . I have since thrown the shirt away . . .

pamtar
01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
I never did hear an answer as to who paid for all of those shirts. Could it have been a certain university based in Raleigh?

I cut the check. They were like three bucks apiece.

rthomas
01-31-2008, 10:54 PM
I want XL - send me an email if you got 'em! Please!

Lavabe
01-31-2008, 10:54 PM
I cut the check. They were like three bucks apiece.

Now available on ebay.

hc5duke
01-31-2008, 11:11 PM
I see a pattern here. I saw we do this every game. UNC game is pretty close to Lunar New Year. We should get the students to wear yellow shirts for Asian-American Awareness Day, and we'll throw those shirts onto the court at half time: guaranteed victory.

Duke09
01-31-2008, 11:13 PM
you don't want one. they are jinxed

mgtr
01-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Green on = we lose.

Green off = we win.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Indoor66
01-31-2008, 11:15 PM
But, they did save the planet. :rolleyes:

mgtr
01-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Hopefully we have seen the end of those shirts.

Karl Beem
01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
I'll take a XXXL.

rthomas
01-31-2008, 11:18 PM
But, they did save the planet. :rolleyes:

The kids got thier message across and so do Coach K. Even Paulus was wearing green underwear.

You guys need more faith in my team.

dbowen
01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
I might be wrong but you might be able to find at least one inside of a trash can from Cameron.

grannyduke
01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Green shirts should be banned it Cameron. Bad Karma! The students were right to throw them out at half time. Turned the game right around.

captmojo
01-31-2008, 11:38 PM

Gary

I'm bad Gary, but I promise you I had nothing to do with this.:D