PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Duke fans

DukeDevil
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey all, I'm just trying to see if there are any other Duke fans here in Baltimore. I wanted to see if we could get some people together to watch some games (especially UNC, it would depress me to watch that alone). Also, and this is a long shot here in MD, but are there any Duke friendly bars in town?

DukeDevil

AndyB
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I moved to Baltimore from Durham about eighteen months ago, and have yet to find a "Duke-Friendly" bar. As you might imagine, I'm not holding my breath.

Still, last year the local Duke alumni club organized a group viewing for the Carolina game at a bar called Max's in Fells point, and it was a good time (despite the odd looks we got from the natives). I have not yet heard anything about a similar event for this year's games, but would be happy to join if it's on again.

Madrasdukie
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Moved to Baltimore from Durham, Jan. of '06. Haven't really attempted to see a Duke game at a bar (so, can't help you there). I've watched all the games either at home or at work (with those Terp fans who despise Carolina more than Duke). It's been an interesting experience after all those years in Durham, but then again my best friend before/during and/ after Durham has been a Carolina grad. !!

jimbonelson
01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
i have lived in harford county for 25 years no duke freindly bars around if you alll get together let me know

blazindw
01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
If any of you B-more residents want to make the drive down to DC, we will be hosting a watch party at Buffalo Billiards in Dupont Circle for the UNC game. There will be a ton of Dukies there cheering on our boys to victory and celebrating UNC going to hell!

If you want more information about it, please ask and I shall provide.

devillighter
01-29-2008, 06:12 PM
i have lived in harford county for 25 years no duke freindly bars around if you alll get together let me know

I grew up in Harford County - went to Fallston High School. This isn't too applicable to the thread since I am still an undergraduate at Duke. I've watched Duke Football games at Looney's in Bel Air. The look one of the bartenders gave me when I asked him to turn on the Duke UNC football game was pretty funny.

I certainly can't think of any places in Maryland that are Duke friendly.

jimbonelson
01-29-2008, 06:14 PM
been to looneys more than once

III
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I also went to Fallston High in Harford County, and its hard enough finding a Duke-friendly person let alone a whole bar in the state of Maryland. Best bet would be to stock up well and have people over! Also, still at Duke.

blazindw
01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
There is a bar that is favorable to Duke--Barking Dog in Bethesda (again, closer for the DC people). However, it's because we've infiltrated...one of my Duke friends is a bartender there :-)

beltwayBD
01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
There is a bar that is favorable to Duke--Barking Dog in Bethesda (again, closer for the DC people). However, it's because we've infiltrated...one of my Duke friends is a bartender there :-)

I've gone with my wife to Stars and Stripes in Crystal City (Arlington) a couple times, but I can't get into it. It's kind of a lame bar, and the fans that show up haven't been very serious. Generally a lot of Paulus-dissing.

We live in DC, and we're thinking about going to ESPN Zone downtown for Duke-UNC. But this is the first I've heard about Barking Dog -- and Buffalo billiards is very convenient (we're in Adams Morgan). blazindw, can you handle some more takers. We'd love to stay in DC and skip Arlington.

Any other ideas for DC residents? :confused:

Thanks!

JBDuke
01-30-2008, 02:29 AM
I wish I could offer to host folks at my place, but it looks like I'm gonna be on the road for the Carolina game...

:(

SmartDevil
01-30-2008, 02:58 AM
The Duke games used to be fun in DC at the Hyatt Grand Slam sports bar. Comfortable, convenient, great atmosphere. I was completely befuddled as to why the Duke Club of Washington chose to relocate the viewing gatherings to various other much less desirable places.

DukeDevil
01-30-2008, 07:58 AM
How do we get a hold of the alumni club here in MD/Baltimore? It would be good to get something going

blazindw
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
I've gone with my wife to Stars and Stripes in Crystal City (Arlington) a couple times, but I can't get into it. It's kind of a lame bar, and the fans that show up haven't been very serious. Generally a lot of Paulus-dissing.

We live in DC, and we're thinking about going to ESPN Zone downtown for Duke-UNC. But this is the first I've heard about Barking Dog -- and Buffalo billiards is very convenient (we're in Adams Morgan). blazindw, can you handle some more takers. We'd love to stay in DC and skip Arlington.

Any other ideas for DC residents? :confused:

Thanks!

Certainly, the more the merrier! Buffalo Billiards is where we will have the official parties for the Young Alumni, but Duke fans young and old are of course welcome. The next official watch party will be for the UNC game, but Duke fans can generally be found there for pretty much any game on our schedule.

The Duke games used to be fun in DC at the Hyatt Grand Slam sports bar. Comfortable, convenient, great atmosphere. I was completely befuddled as to why the Duke Club of Washington chose to relocate the viewing gatherings to various other much less desirable places.

We have been working hard over the past few months to re-establish an identity at a bar that is central to most of the alumni in the area for our watch party. In the past, the organization of the parties has been lacking, with no central place for everyone in the area to go to and watch games. This year, that place has been Buffalo Billiards. The young alums love it so far. We've had a few watch parties there (one for the Duke-ND game, and 3 for basketball), and the turnout has been outstanding at all of them. People love the place, and for the UNC game we are working on getting drink and food specials since we expect about 100 young alumni for the game.

As for the other bars, we are constantly working on establishing "Duke-friendly" bars at locations in Maryland and Virginia so that when there are not "official" watch parties, people can know that Duke fans in their area will likely be at a certain place. I already have the ins at Barking Dog in Bethesda, and we're trying to find other places so that we can have places to go and watch our boys take on the world.

Any questions about it, please let me know, as I'm one of the people on the DCW Young Alumni Committee, and I help out with basketball parties and organizing recreational sports (with happy hours afterwards, of course). And as I said before, B-more Duke fans are always welcome if you want to make the trip down to watch games with other alums!

sagegrouse
01-30-2008, 09:50 AM
How do we get a hold of the alumni club here in MD/Baltimore? It would be good to get something going

http://www.dukealumni.com/baltimore

I'll also ask daughter Catherine who is in Duke Class of 1995 and lived in Ballmer for three years (left in 2005).

sagegrouse

'BTW, the Alumni Office should be eager to help in setting up events. And they are used to demands for hoops events setting the pace of club activities.'

beltwayBD
01-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Certainly, the more the merrier! Buffalo Billiards is where we will have the official parties for the Young Alumni, but Duke fans young and old are of course welcome. The next official watch party will be for the UNC game, but Duke fans can generally be found there for pretty much any game on our schedule.

Outstanding! The turnout sounds impressive -- my wife and I will definitely join, and will bring a couple other alums.

I wonder though, what counts as young these days??? :-) Will a couple thirty-somethings stand out? ;-)

devildeac
01-30-2008, 10:46 AM

We have been working hard over the past few months to re-establish an identity at a bar that is central to most of the alumni in the area for our watch party. In the past, the organization of the parties has been lacking, with no central place for everyone in the area to go to and watch games. This year, that place has been Buffalo Billiards. The young alums love it so far. We've had a few watch parties there (one for the Duke-ND game, and 3 for basketball), and the turnout has been outstanding at all of them. People love the place, and for the UNC game we are working on getting drink and food specials since we expect about 100 young alumni for the game.

As for the other bars, we are constantly working on establishing "Duke-friendly" bars at locations in Maryland and Virginia so that when there are not "official" watch parties, people can know that Duke fans in their area will likely be at a certain place. I already have the ins at Barking Dog in Bethesda, and we're trying to find other places so that we can have places to go and watch our boys take on the world.

Any questions about it, please let me know, as I'm one of the people on the DCW Young Alumni Committee, and I help out with basketball parties and organizing recreational sports (with happy hours afterwards, of course). And as I said before, B-more Duke fans are always welcome if you want to make the trip down to watch games with other alums!

I will call/email my son who is living in DC now and see if he can drag some Wheaton grads to some Duke friendly bars to cheer on the Devils and make fan converts out of them, too.

Madrasdukie
01-30-2008, 10:59 AM
If any of you B-more residents want to make the drive down to DC, we will be hosting a watch party at Buffalo Billiards in Dupont Circle for the UNC game. There will be a ton of Dukies there cheering on our boys to victory and celebrating UNC going to hell!

If you want more information about it, please ask and I shall provide.

Thanks for the offer. Perhaps for a future game, I'll get in touch with you.

I'm one of the people on the DCW Young Alumni Committee, and I help out with basketball parties and organizing recreational sports (with happy hours afterwards, of course)

Sounds great, maybe sometime soon we'll have something similar in Baltimore.

mddukefan
01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry i'm a little late chiming in on this. I've lived in Baltimore all my life but have grown up as a Duke fan. My buddy (who is also a long time Duke fan), just recently bought a bar with his family that is "Duke Friendly". The place is called Casey's. It is on East Joppa Rd. in Parkville of Baltimore County. My girlfriend and I watched the Duke/Davidson game there this season with no problems. The owners have Duke fans in the family, so it not a problem to get the games on TV. Lot's of good food and drink specials as well.

I always get the invite to go up there for the games but honestly sometimes i like to be in front of my own TV where i can hear what the announcers have to say. Plus no one gets to see me be a maniac during big games! But the times i've watched games there it's been a good time. It's at least another option for people that isn't too far from Harford County and Baltimore fans.

DukeDevil
01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check out that bar in baltimore county, should I drop your name or anything?

As for the Duke UNC game, I think I'll come on down to DC and watch the game there with everyone, I haven't watched it with a big crowd in a few years, that'd be fun.

Thanks again all!

mddukefan
01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check out that bar in baltimore county, should I drop your name or anything?

Sure, you can shoot me an email and I can get you in touch with the right people if you ever want to organize anything. Thanks!!

duke98
01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Has anyone watched a Duke game at the new Greene Turtle in Columbia? It looks like I'll be home with the 'fam next week for the UNC game. Greene Turtle is a great sports bar with tons of TVs, but I'm worried the crowd might be a little Duke-unfriendly (being in MD and all).

Last thing I want to do is end of in the middle of a UNC-lovefest. I think this is going to be a close game, could go either way. Go DUKE!

toughbuff1
01-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Has anyone watched a Duke game at the new Greene Turtle in Columbia? It looks like I'll be home with the 'fam next week for the UNC game. Greene Turtle is a great sports bar with tons of TVs, but I'm worried the crowd might be a little Duke-unfriendly (being in MD and all).

Last thing I want to do is end of in the middle of a UNC-lovefest. I think this is going to be a close game, could go either way. Go DUKE!

The Greene Turtle is a big-time Maryland bar. I would guess most of the crowd would be rooting against Duke.

MDBLUE666
01-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Baltimore Duke Fans:

Yesterday I got a call from a friend of mine (mddukefan) about this forum regarding a "DUKE" friendly bar. My Mother is the owner of the bar and my brother runs the day to day operations. I have told my brother that there may be a group of DUKE fans looking for a gathering spot for the games. I would love to get a crowd in there for the UNC game next Wednesday. We run daily specials for food and drinks. Casey's is a NON-SMOKING place, and has been that way since we opened on 10/22/07. It is a very relaxed place. I am a DUKE fan and will be there for the game against UNC. If I can get a firm number of people committed to coming next Wednesday I will set aside tables. The Bar is separated into 2 parts. 1) The Bar area, 15 bar stools and 5 high top tables that can hold anywhere from 2-4 or place them to gather to accommodate a larger crowd. 4 Flat screens in the bar, all TV's in the bar are at least 45” 2) The Restaurant area has more room, it can hold 50 people very comfortably. This side has only 3 Flat screens, they are about 35". No matter where you sit, we will have the volume of the game on so you can listen to the broadcast.

If anyone on here has any questions, feel free to send me and email.
BrooksRo@amtrak.com. I will be @ work today/Friday and Saturday from 7a to 7p. I'll check my emails while I am here.

Hope to see you soon.

Bo

mddukefan
02-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I will vouch that this is great place to watch the games. Even if we don't meet up for the UNC game it wouldn't be a bad idea for another game. Spread the word if you are interested in setting something up for a future game...

Madrasdukie
02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I would love to get together at Casey's for the UNC game if anyone else is planning on going there as well.

toughbuff1
02-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Baltimore Duke Fans:

Yesterday I got a call from a friend of mine (mddukefan) about this forum regarding a "DUKE" friendly bar. My Mother is the owner of the bar and my brother runs the day to day operations. I have told my brother that there may be a group of DUKE fans looking for a gathering spot for the games. I would love to get a crowd in there for the UNC game next Wednesday. We run daily specials for food and drinks. Casey's is a NON-SMOKING place, and has been that way since we opened on 10/22/07. It is a very relaxed place. I am a DUKE fan and will be there for the game against UNC. If I can get a firm number of people committed to coming next Wednesday I will set aside tables. The Bar is separated into 2 parts. 1) The Bar area, 15 bar stools and 5 high top tables that can hold anywhere from 2-4 or place them to gather to accommodate a larger crowd. 4 Flat screens in the bar, all TV's in the bar are at least 45” 2) The Restaurant area has more room, it can hold 50 people very comfortably. This side has only 3 Flat screens, they are about 35". No matter where you sit, we will have the volume of the game on so you can listen to the broadcast.

If anyone on here has any questions, feel free to send me and email.
BrooksRo@amtrak.com. I will be @ work today/Friday and Saturday from 7a to 7p. I'll check my emails while I am here.

Hope to see you soon.

Bo

I'm going to come up for the game, with a couple friends.

MDBLUE666
02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
To anyone in the area-
Last night @ Casey's was ok. We had every TV on the game and the volume very loud. We even attached a 16" Speaker w/ an amp (normally used for a DJ) I can say I had a good time, but maybe you should ask ToughBuff1. He made the trip to Casey's last night with 2 other fans, and we celebrated with a Big Win. This Saturday for the BC game I hope to get a few more people here supporting DUKE.
Casey's has daily specials for food and drinks. This Saturday is $2.50 24oz Miller Lite Bottles and half price pizzas. I unfortunately will be @ work and will miss the game live. My brother runs the day to day business @ the bar/restaurant. He has already assured me that the game will be on all the TV's and we will set up the speaker again. If people are going to come up. Please post a reply on here or send me and email. I will save some tables so we DUKE fans can sit together. I hope we can get this gathering spot going before the ACC and NCAA's start. Please spread the word.

BrooksRo@amtrak.com is my email.

Thanks again,

Bo

mddukefan
02-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Sorry i missed the game on Wednesday but galad to see a few people showed up. Long day at work, but it ended with a nice win!!

I wouldn't mind going up Casey's on Saturday if we can get a crowd. If anyone else plans on going just post it so we'll know. I should be able to round up 2 more Duke fans for the BC game. If not i'm sure we can get something going for one of the remaining games...

MDBLUE666
02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Just a reminder. Wednesday @ Casey's. We are expecting a large crowd for the game. I do expect Maryland fans to be here, but that doesn't mean you should not join the rest of us there. We have great specials for those that like to have a drink during the game. Our food is very good as well.
Please if you are going to come post a comment saying so. It sounds like people are willing to check us out but are afraid to be the only Duke fan here. Lets make this a spot to enjoy many more games together. Wouldn't you like to watch the ACC or NCAA tournaments with fellow Duke fans?
I know I wouldn't mind.

Hope to see you on Wednesday for the game.

Bo

toughbuff1
02-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I had a good time watching the Carolina game. I'm definitely coming back Wednesday for the Maryland game.

mddukefan
02-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm in for tomorrow night plus definetely 1 more maybe/hopefully 2 more. Hope to get up there in time to eat something before the game gets going. Any other Baltimore Duke fans in for tomorrow besides the 2 previous replies?? I'm sure we will have plenty of Terp fans to deal with, so the more Dukies the better...

MDBLUE666
02-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Sunday Night @ Casey's. is anyone coming up?

MDBLUE666
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Casey's
1742 E.Joppa Road
Parkville MD 21234

Hello Duke Fans in Maryland,

I haven't been on the site in a while. Anyway last year I tried to recruit some people to start coming to Casey's. For a while we had 3-5 people from this website come up as well as 2-4 friends of mine that are duke fans. I'd like to start that over again if anyone is interested in doing so feel free to respond to this. I know it is to late of notice for Tuesday's game against N.C. State, but it would be awsome to have a big turnout for Saturday's game Vs. the Terps.

Saturday's Drink Special is 24oz Miller Lite Bottles for $2.50.

Hope to see you,

Bo
MDBLUE666