PDA

View Full Version : voltage conversion question

aimo
01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I am traveling to Europe this spring and am wondering if I need to buy a voltage converter. My MP3 (non-iPod) adaptor says 100-240V. There is no switch. Does this mean that all I need to do is buy a plug adaptor and my AC adaptor will automatically read the higher voltage and adjust it accordingly?

I am thinking about taking a portable DVD player along as well and will check to see if it says the same thing. I'm pretty sure it does.

I'd appreciate any experienced answers, as I'd rather not fry my electronics.

colchar
01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I am traveling to Europe this spring and am wondering if I need to buy a voltage converter. My MP3 (non-iPod) adaptor says 100-240V. There is no switch. Does this mean that all I need to do is buy a plug adaptor and my AC adaptor will automatically read the higher voltage and adjust it accordingly?

I am thinking about taking a portable DVD player along as well and will check to see if it says the same thing. I'm pretty sure it does.

I'd appreciate any experienced answers, as I'd rather not fry my electronics.

If it says that then yes, it has a built-in converter and you will only need to buy a plug adapter (buy them over there as they are generally cheaper than over here...at least they are in London). Check the manual (if you still have it, if not it is probably available online from the manufacturer's website) for your MP3 player as this issue is probably addressed in there.

Where in Europe are you going?

aimo
01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Bike tour from Amsterdam to Bruges. I'll be in Amsterdam a couple of days.

Thanks for your help!

DukeUsul
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes to what colchar said.

Typically most devices that have some kind of ac/dc converter (a brick or wart on the cord) will convert 120 or 240 VAC into the DC required for the device. Hence iPod chargers, laptop cables, etc. will typically work just fine on international voltage. Checking the label on the brick is the right thing to do.

billybreen
01-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Bike tour from Amsterdam to Bruges. I'll be in Amsterdam a couple of days.

Thanks for your help!

Nice! Spent some time in Bruges on my honeymoon in late 2006. I can recommend some good restaurants and a nice place to stay, if you're interested.