PDA

View Full Version : MU dumped Quin for this?

BD80
01-29-2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10604747

Missouri guard Stefhon Hannah remained hospitalized Monday with a broken jaw after a weekend brawl outside a nightclub. ...

Hannah is the fifth Tiger player to be involved in off-court violence or misconduct since Anderson was hired less than two years ago.

In October, reserve forward Darryl Butterfield was arrested on charges of third-degree domestic assault for allegedly punching an ex-girlfriend. He was suspended by Anderson before the season started but was reinstated soon.
Kalen Grimes, the school's leading rebounder and starting center last season, was dismissed from the team after being arrested for hitting a man in the face with the butt of a shotgun in St. Louis last July.

Two days before Grimes' arrest, forward DeMarre Carroll, Anderson's nephew, was shot in the ankle outside another Columbia nightclub. Police said Carroll was a bystander in that incident.

And last February, reserve guard Mike Anderson Jr., the coach's son, was suspended from the team after a drunken-driving arrest. He has since been reinstated.

After Carroll was wounded, Anderson announced a no-tolerance policy in an effort to keep his players out of trouble.

SMO
01-29-2008, 10:58 AM
It will be interesting to see if Anderson is skewered the same way Snyder was, with numerous articles making fun of his "golden locks" and citing his "Duke pedigree". My guess is this guy is a much less interesting target.

Devils8780
01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Wasn't there some deal with a player and an ATV at the school president's house years back?

Aside from the hair, it was that controversy had reached a Duke alum that made him a media target...

throatybeard
01-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Quin had some bigger problems than boys-will-be-boys player incidents, one involving his own conduct. And I don't think we need to be pointing any fingers, given what's up with some of our football players right now.

That said, this sounds pretty apologetic (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/jeffgordon/story/0A981A9CB31AEC81862573DE005AF07F?OpenDocument).

crimsonandblue
01-29-2008, 12:39 PM
The game in Boulder was at 3 central time. It's incredible Hannah had time to get in trouble back in Columbia. That was a full day. Hope he recovers.

As noted above, Snyder got the axe for a ton of reasons, including his own foibles, and honestly, I think Anderson generally has brought good kids into the program. Unfortunately there have been a few publicized problems and he's tried to deal with those. But it's never easy and every issued will get press these days. I mean, Kansas just had their senior placekicker arrested for failure to appear at a hearing over violating Lawrence leash laws. It was in all the papers.

Anyway, I don't know that Anderson is the answer, but they gave Quin Snyder more than enough chances to prove he wasn't. And prove it he did.

samizdat
01-29-2008, 01:23 PM
It will be interesting to see if Anderson is skewered the same way Snyder was, with numerous articles making fun of his "golden locks" and citing his "Duke pedigree". My guess is this guy is a much less interesting target.

So you think Snyder got a raw deal???

Mizzou kept him around at least one year too long.

I was actually hoping the AD would get fired because he refused to fire Snyder.

And for some of you saying that his hair and Duke pedigree made him an easy target, you have no idea what you're talking about.

He was loved by Mizzou fans when he took over. He was recruiting more talented players than Missouri had seen in decades. During his first couple of seasons, he might as well have been the most popular person in the state.

Then the wheels fell off...

Those incredibly talented players never developed under Snyder. His teams were chronic underachievers...and then there were the off court issues.

It wasn't just Ricky Clemmons and some questionable recruiting tactics. It was also his supposed cocaine abuse and his supposed extra-marital affair with one of his player's girlfriends.

To say that Snyder was treated unfairly is terribly short-sighted. Why do you think nobody was willing to give him a chance at coaching again? A school like FAU who gave Matt Doherty a chance after his Carolina meltdown. The word was out on this guy, and nobody would give him a chance. Well, except the Austin Toros of the NBDL.

Uncle Drew
01-29-2008, 03:16 PM
:eek:

And for some of you saying that his hair and Duke pedigree made him an easy target, you have no idea what you're talking about.

He was loved by Mizzou fans when he took over. He was recruiting more talented players than Missouri had seen in decades. During his first couple of seasons, he might as well have been the most popular person in the state.

Those incredibly talented players never developed under Snyder. His teams were chronic underachievers...and then there were the off court issues.

It wasn't just Ricky Clemmons and some questionable recruiting tactics. It was also his supposed cocaine abuse and his supposed extra-marital affair with one of his player's girlfriends.

To say that Snyder was treated unfairly is terribly short-sighted. Why do you think nobody was willing to give him a chance at coaching again? A school like FAU who gave Matt Doherty a chance after his Carolina meltdown. The word was out on this guy, and nobody would give him a chance. Well, except the Austin Toros of the NBDL.

Whoa! At the risk of getting us both banned for rumor mongering (please note moderators he typed supposed in bold). Were THOSE rumors about Quinn? I never heard ANY of that! At first I thought you were saying this Clemmons guy was abusing coke until it said HIS players in reference to an affair. Had anyone else heard that stuff? Were there articles in Missouri or reports on TV with the same innuendo? Quinn was one of my favorite Duke players. Okay I was jealous over the hair, and I've got some good hair! But man oh man, I didn't know he possibly went THAT far off course! Is he still considered part of the Duke family? What is his present relationship with Coach K like?

uncwdevil
01-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Ricky Clemons was just a really bad kid, and probably ended up killing that program. I don't know how Snyder couldn't see this right off the bat unless he just didn't want to see it. He played on my high school team for about 2 weeks before getting booted off the team. He stole $40 bucks from my friend and teammate on the first day of practice. He had a nasty crossover and could hit the 3, but man...

SMO
01-29-2008, 03:58 PM

Did I say Snyder got a raw deal???? I'll be interested to see if another coach at Missouri encounters as much criticism when things go poorly. That's all. Don't put words in posters' mouths.

STLDukeFan4
01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Being from and living in Missouri, this topic is huge on the radio here. I do not think that Anderson is very good at keeping his players under control. One thing that pops out to me is that Anderson had just put in a "zero tolerance" policy that prohibits his players from being at any bar. Then I read this in an article today

"Anderson said he had not determined what if any punishment will be levied against Hannah or any other players for being at the bar and any role they might have played in the incident. He said his zero tolerance policy would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis."

How do you have a zero-tolerance policy, but have it on a case by case basis? Every player there broke the policy, so everyone should get the same punishment I think. I just thought that was weird.

crimsonandblue
01-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Being from and living in Missouri, this topic is huge on the radio here. I do not think that Anderson is very good at keeping his players under control. One thing that pops out to me is that Anderson had just put in a "zero tolerance" policy that prohibits his players from being at any bar. Then I read this in an article today

"Anderson said he had not determined what if any punishment will be levied against Hannah or any other players for being at the bar and any role they might have played in the incident. He said his zero tolerance policy would be evaluated on a case-by-case basis."

How do you have a zero-tolerance policy, but have it on a case by case basis? Every player there broke the policy, so everyone should get the same punishment I think. I just thought that was weird.

Pretty zero tolerance if you ask me: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3221003

STLDukeFan4
01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Pretty zero tolerance if you ask me: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3221003

You sir are correct...I made my previous post before this story came out. Good for Mike Anderson. I respect him for sticking by his policy even though it was some of his better players that were involved.

samizdat
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
:eek:

Whoa! At the risk of getting us both banned for rumor mongering (please note moderators he typed supposed in bold). Were THOSE rumors about Quinn? I never heard ANY of that! At first I thought you were saying this Clemmons guy was abusing coke until it said HIS players in reference to an affair. Had anyone else heard that stuff? Were there articles in Missouri or reports on TV with the same innuendo? Quinn was one of my favorite Duke players. Okay I was jealous over the hair, and I've got some good hair! But man oh man, I didn't know he possibly went THAT far off course! Is he still considered part of the Duke family? What is his present relationship with Coach K like?

Yes, those were rumors about Quin. And pretty widely accepted as truth in Columbia. The player who's girlfriend he allegedly carried on an affair with was Linas Kleiza, who unexpectedly declared early for the draft.

I will reiterate that they were rumors, but like I said, they were widely believed rumors in Columbia. And based upon the fact that there was ZERO interest from other schools--even small schools--after his dismissal, it would seem to make sense to me that those rumors had legs.

samizdat
01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Did I say Snyder got a raw deal???? I'll be interested to see if another coach at Missouri encounters as much criticism when things go poorly. That's all. Don't put words in posters' mouths.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth. That's what those question marks represent.

But based upon my initial post, I'm not sure how you could insinuate that Snyder received an unfair amount of scrutiny while at Mizzou.

Uncle Drew
01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Yes, those were rumors about Quin. And pretty widely accepted as truth in Columbia. The player who's girlfriend he allegedly carried on an affair with was Linas Kleiza, who unexpectedly declared early for the draft.

I will reiterate that they were rumors, but like I said, they were widely believed rumors in Columbia. And based upon the fact that there was ZERO interest from other schools--even small schools--after his dismissal, it would seem to make sense to me that those rumors had legs.

I have to say I'm shocked to hear that. Not that Duke players (present and former) are beyond repute or anything. But if those rumors are remotely true it makes me have a whole lot lower opinion of Quinn. Now some one explain to me why I feel like we're two ladies gossiping while taking clothes off the clothes line after hearing that?

SMO
01-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I wasn't putting words in your mouth. That's what those question marks represent.

But based upon my initial post, I'm not sure how you could insinuate that Snyder received an unfair amount of scrutiny while at Mizzou.

I didn't say or insinuate that either. You're on a roll! My question is this: if another coach does as poor a job, will he be criticized as much? My guess is no since Snyder was a more popular target being a Duke guy. The double standard is striking.

crimsonandblue
01-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I think you're reaching. Snyder went spectacularly down in flames of his own actions. He went from promising start to death spiral of recruiting issues, personal issues and team performance issues. His appearance and pedigree may have made him a target for those outside of the program, but within the MU community, I don't think it played much of a factor.

If guys like Capel falter at OU, I don't think there will be any unique disdain for his coaching because he went to Duke. I don't think Amaker was unusually criticized at Michigan. I think it was just Snyder because he was who he was.

Maybe it's akin to throatybeard's theorem of everybody hates everybody else's little white point guard. I can certainly see disliking Wojo or Collins (although likely more the latter - Wojo has a sort of endearing Judd Heathcoat thing about him as a coach). But I don't know that that's restricted to Duke. Just pretty, white, former points.

samizdat
01-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I didn't say or insinuate that either. You're on a roll! My question is this: if another coach does as poor a job, will he be criticized as much? My guess is no since Snyder was a more popular target being a Duke guy. The double standard is striking.

Um, by saying that Snyder was a victim to a double standard and a more popular target for criticism is pretty much insinuating that he was subject to an unfair amount of scrutiny. So no, I'm not putting words into your mouth.

And he was not subject to a double standard.

sagegrouse
01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Having read this entire thread, I need to take a long shower to get the grime off.

sagegrouse

throatybeard
01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
If you need a shower, it's not because of the new guy. He's being lauded for holding all of those guys out. And Mizzou almost beat NU! Only a turnover with about 20 seconds left cooked their goose.

column on Anderson:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/bryanburwell/story/B054E9485BC060DC862573E1001B5A34?OpenDocument

game story
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/D026D794AE83E518862573E1001B5A28?OpenDocument

throatybeard
02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Anderson has kicked Hannah off the team:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/F11CB5ADC3743D5D862573EE0019C56A?OpenDocument