PDA

View Full Version : Women v Tenn - 7:00 EST - espn2

Indoor66
01-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Watch the Devils.

Bluedog
01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Student section isn't nearly full. Kinda disappointing....I'd say ~500 students....funny how Rebecca Lobo is lauding the Crazies as I type....

juise
01-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Game was tied at the half... UT has now opened the second half with 4 unanswered (37-33).

Duvall
01-28-2008, 08:13 PM
The locks on Joe Alleva's office should be changed tonight.

willywoody
01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
The locks on Joe Alleva's office should be changed tonight.

how come?

btw, while it's not sold out, wait a minute they just said on tv it was sold out, anyways the student section isn't completely full but looks to be a good crowd, very loud on tv.

Lavabe
01-28-2008, 08:59 PM
ABBY! ABBY! ABBY!

FOR THREE!!!!!!

TIED UP at 64!!!

LGD!!!!

Bluedog
01-28-2008, 09:00 PM
gah....TN up 2...4.1 sec left...TN ball....I still believe!

Duvall
01-28-2008, 09:04 PM
how come?

Do you really have to ask?

Bluedog
01-28-2008, 09:04 PM
What the HECK was that at the end!?!?!?! Chante Black not know there was only 3.4 seconds left?!?!?!?!!? TOUGH GAME, but INEXCUSABLE ending....i'm sorry. Obviously, tough to go the length of the court in 3.4 sec, but she just stood with the ball for like 2 sec so that obviously made it impossible....very odd. Especially with a timeout remaining. I don't get it.

Lavabe
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Nice try for the women.

DANG .... I thought we had a Sean Dockery repeat there.

Lavabe

Duvall
01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Nice try for the women.

Not really, no.

calltheobvious
01-28-2008, 09:14 PM
What the HECK was that at the end!?!?!?! Chante Black not know there was only 3.4 seconds left?!?!?!?!!? TOUGH GAME, but INEXCUSABLE ending....i'm sorry. Obviously, tough to go the length of the court in 3.4 sec, but she just stood with the ball for like 2 sec so that obviously made it impossible....very odd. Especially with a timeout remaining. I don't get it.

Color me totally unimpressed with JM's management of the last five minutes of the game. She left Waner on the bench for far too long. Then, coming out of a time-out, Waner, baseball-style from 54 is the best the team can do?

This finish really couldn't have been worse. Black's freeze-frame was bad, but when the second FT went through the net, it was already clear from the herky-jerky, uncertain movements of the team that they were terribly uncertain of what they were doing. Again, How??? How do you not run the play there that you've practiced hundreds of times; you know, the one where you need to go the length of the floor off an in-bounds pass with under 4 to go? Am I making a bad assumption?

allenmurray
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
A number of ugly plays. On the other hand, it is hard for me to join into the chorus of "woe is us, all is lost, that horrible coach P, etc." We just played the #2 team in the country to the last few seconds of a game. A couple of blown offensive chances go differently and we would all be celebrating our new phenomenal coach. Chill out.

bludev03
01-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Stat of the Game:
SECOND CHANCE POINTS!
Tennessee 21
Duke 0

OUCH (especially on your home floor!)

Duke4Life
01-28-2008, 09:27 PM
This is just horrendous.

There is such a disconnect b/w the team, the players themselves, and the coaching staff. Coach G has really disrupted this program. Insert Coach P...and it only got worse.
What's up with Wanisha laughing at times after a TO...the players act like they don't even get along...like they know this season is a waste...they don't like the new coaching staff...it's so so so so sad.
You have Aby balling in tears at the end...and then some of the others on the bench are laughing....I just don't understand.

No sense of urgency amongst the staff or the players during this game. It seems to me they have lost the intangible of appreciating each possession...instead we see girls who are frankly PO'd..could give a care...and just going through the motions. This was not the case last season.

I am very afraid for our program. I mean we are seriously in big trouble. With the incoming recruits next year...what we have this season is the best we are going to get! :( :mad: :mad: :o :

Duvall
01-28-2008, 09:30 PM
A couple of blown offensive chances go differently and we would all be celebrating our new phenomenal coach.

Perhaps, but we would be wrong. Duke's offense has been a mess all year, in blowout wins, blowout losses and everything in between.

Bluedog
01-28-2008, 09:31 PM
A number of ugly plays. On the other hand, it is hard for me to join into the chorus of "woe is us, all is lost, that horrible coach P, etc." We just played the #2 team in the country to the last few seconds of a game. A couple of blown offensive chances go differently and we would all be celebrating our new phenomenal coach. Chill out.

Ya, I agree. It was a pretty solidly played game...I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I was just posting in the heat of the moment. Overall, it was a solid effort, just the last few seconds were not as planned. Abby didn't have the greatest shooting night, but hit a clutch three at the end. Chante Black also played pretty well. And we held Candace Parker to 4 of 13 shooting, but unfortunately, she went to the line so often and shot 9/12 there. Obviously, rebounding was the difference tonight. 40-29 and the second chance points just kill ya. But, this team has improved mightily from the beginning of the season, and this game just showed that we can beat ANYBODY in the country. It's not so bleak, IMO.

allenmurray
01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Ya, I agree. It was a pretty solidly played game...I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I was just posting in the heat of the moment.

My post wasn't directed at you, it weas directed at the general hysteria I knew was coming.

calltheobvious
01-28-2008, 09:42 PM

This is a tough one, Allen. I wouldn't consider my attitude one of woe, but of great vexation. It's certainly a solid accomplishment to play so competitively with the #2 team, and to do such a good overall job on the best player in the country. But there were some really, really glaring problems down the stretch that I would like some answers on (not that I'm entitled to them, just saying). How, after Duke ties it late, can Parker be guarded so cavalierly? When Parker flashed to the ball, the defender was very, very unaggressive. The UT wing was actually quite late in recognizing Parker, and yet still Black had not bodied Parker from behind, nor was she attempting to dive in and deny the entry pass. Then after CP finally receives the ball, she is allowed the baseline without even having to make a great move.

The offensive movement down the stretch was virtually non-existant. Waner's last two looks came from two feet or more beyond the arc (thankfully she converted one), and the other stretch look was the tough reverse lay-up she missed coming out of a time-out.

I agree with a previous poster that the team looked very, very disjointed. I'm perfectly willing to chalk a lot of that up to a new coach developing new chemistry. But there are certain tactical aspects of the game that aren't--or at least shouldn't be--as chemistry dependent as others. I do expect that the chemistry will improve over the remainder of the season, but that won't mitigate against how bad things were down the stretch tonight.

So I'm not some lunatic after Coach P's head, just a little concerned right now, that's all.

To be continued...

gadzooks
01-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I agree with a previous poster that the team looked very, very disjointed. I'm perfectly willing to chalk a lot of that up to a new coach developing new chemistry. But there are certain tactical aspects of the game that aren't--or at least shouldn't be--as chemistry dependent as others. I do expect that the chemistry will improve over the remainder of the season, but that won't mitigate against how bad things were down the stretch tonight.I also agree; I've been very willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, since the first season with a new coach is hard on everyone, but there have just been some persistent glaring weaknesses that are troubling. I'm not ready to attribute their problems to the players hating Coach P or anything, just wondering what the heck is up, and hoping they really gel before this season is over. 'Cause dang, that game was painful to watch.

bludev03
01-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Here are the facts:
* Duke had 11 OBoards, but got 0 second chance points
* Tenn had 13 OBoards, but got 21 second chance points
* Duke missed 5 free throws, but lost by 3

Another Stat:
Wal-Mart Bags = Hornbuckle 0-4 from the line
No Wal-Mart Bags = Hornbuckle 4-4 from the line
No Wal-Mart Bags + Hornbuckle 4-4 from the line = Tenn 3 point win

I'm sure Pat can sleep well tonight knowing she had to stoop to such low and drastic measures in order to get a win...

dukelifer
01-28-2008, 10:27 PM
This is just horrendous.

There is such a disconnect b/w the team, the players themselves, and the coaching staff. Coach G has really disrupted this program. Insert Coach P...and it only got worse.
What's up with Wanisha laughing at times after a TO...the players act like they don't even get along...like they know this season is a waste...they don't like the new coaching staff...it's so so so so sad.
You have Aby balling in tears at the end...and then some of the others on the bench are laughing....I just don't understand.

No sense of urgency amongst the staff or the players during this game. It seems to me they have lost the intangible of appreciating each possession...instead we see girls who are frankly PO'd..could give a care...and just going through the motions. This was not the case last season.

I am very afraid for our program. I mean we are seriously in big trouble. With the incoming recruits next year...what we have this season is the best we are going to get! :( :mad: :mad: :o :

Duke played the defending national champs to a close 3 point loss and this is horrendous? How exactly? The season is a waste? This Duke team played very hard today against a very good opponent. Black was under the weather and this team is really missing a shooter. This was not a horrendous loss by any stretch. Duke played hard and the game was competitive until the final shot. As for Smith laughing- hasn't she always done this? Every player is different in how they show their emotions. This women's team has lost to the 1,2 and 4 teams in the country and beat the number 3 team. If Abby can get her stroke back and they hit their free throws they can compete with anyone.

chrishoke
01-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Spoiled, whiney fans. I thought it was a great effort by our team. They are improving by leaps and bounds. I was there, and believe me, they played with passion and intensity. I am very proud of my team!

dukepsy1963
01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
I felt there was a lack of cohesiveness and singlemindedness of purpose by the Duke women in this game. They didn't seem to be playing or working together.

I too was perplexed by the last "attempt" to score and their management of time, but then they looked ragged throughout the game to me. Some of the most awkward attempts at shooting I have seen in a long time, especially under the basket. It is rare that you can score directly under the basket by shooting "straight up."

Defense sparkled at times, but the offense left a heck of lot to be desired. I think they should have worked on trying to get more people open for three's and short jumpers. It was awful inside!

I wonder mostly about the apparent "lack of drive" that seemed to be in evidence tonight. Some very talented athletes running around with little apparent "team purpose."

I love and support our women, but god is it hard to watch them at times! Downright painful!!

Frankly, I was surprised that the game was within reach. Had Tenn played a just a tad better, I think it would have been a blowout. Maybe next time...eh what?

Go Duke!!

calltheobvious
01-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Duke played the defending national champs to a close 3 point loss and this is horrendous? How exactly? The season is a waste? This Duke team played very hard today against a very good opponent. Black was under the weather and this team is really missing a shooter. This was not a horrendous loss by any stretch. Duke played hard and the game was competitive until the final shot. As for Smith laughing- hasn't she always done this? Every player is different in how they show their emotions. This women's team has lost to the 1,2 and 4 teams in the country and beat the number 3 team. If Abby can get her stroke back and they hit their free throws they can compete with anyone.

Your response seems a little bit unfair. I think it's clear that Dukelifer is not arguing that a 3-pt loss, per se, is horrendous. Don't you agree that there were some very, very troubling aspects to the last six minutes of the game that can't be completely explained by Black's illness?

Even if you're right that Smith has always been a care-free personality on the court, aren't there still some issues that you find problematic?

dukelifer
01-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Your response seems a little bit unfair. I think it's clear that Dukelifer is not arguing that a 3-pt loss, per se, is horrendous. Don't you agree that there were some very, very troubling aspects to the last six minutes of the game that can't be completely explained by Black's illness?

Even if you're right that Smith has always been a care-free personality on the court, aren't there still some aspects of the game that you find problematic?

I am not sure I saw anything different in the last six minutes than in the rest of the game? Maybe I missed something- but Tenn had a max of a 5 point lead. Duke shot poorly all night but kept up the defensive pressure. The game was tied with under a minute. How do you see players out there who don't care when that happened. What am I missing?

dukelifer
01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I wonder mostly about the apparent "lack of drive" that seemed to be in evidence tonight. Some very talented athletes running around with little apparent "team purpose."

I love and support our women, but god is it hard to watch them at times! Downright painful!!

Frankly, I was surprised that the game was within reach. Had Tenn played a just a tad better, I think it would have been a blowout. Maybe next time...eh what?

Go Duke!!
The team purpose was to play team defense- which the did well tonight. Duke's offense, mostly shooting, has been off. Waner is in a huge shooting slump from beyond the arc. Duke played a gutty performance particularly with Black under the weather. Perhaps not having Black at 100% affected what they did on O- but their D was intense all night long.

wbs2455
01-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Considering all those second chance points duke gave up and the open looks abby missed that she probably would've knocked down last year, I think its hard to complain too much about this loss. A few things go differently and we win the game. There was definitely a lot of things Duke did well and I thought the heart and the hustle was there for sure. If I was on the Lady Vols I wouldn't be all that eager to take on Duke again in the tournament.

This may be a "readjusting" year or whatever you want to call it with the new coach, new system, etc, but I think we have showed that we can and will play anyone tough.

Duke4Life
01-28-2008, 11:47 PM
I guess I'm just a stickler for detail.

I can see things brewing (heck, they've been present all season long) that don't have to exist with a new coaching staff.

What's the big change this season folks??? Yes Lindsay is gone. We insert Thomas at the point and she can hit some outside shots...she can penetrate very well for her age...we still have a big in Black that replaced Bales...so why in the world is our offense the worst shooting team since 1990??
What's the underlying difference?
It's not that hard folks. Call it coincidence or what...but Coach P is in her first season (I give her the benefit of the argument) but how's come we shoot the worst we have in 18 years!? 18 darn years???

How's come there is a large, obvious disconnect b/w the players themselves and the staff?

I don't believe in Coach P's offensive schemes. I didn't like her offense at MSU. That is my opinion. Coach G could coach offense with the best of them and that along with scrappy D propelled Duke to one of the best 4 programs in the country. Duke and the ACC can NOT play offense like they do in the struggling Big 10. Her defense is fine...and defense when it all comes down to it is all related to hustle and desire.

Offense on the otherhand is very controlling and can be very limiting of one's ability. That to me is the difference. In combination, we have lost that Duke swagger...like, "Yeah...we know who we are...we are one of the best programs out there and we are coming after the two dynasties...."
Instead, we look like..."Yeah, we are struggling...don't really believe in our coach...and we don't have fun." That to me is scary for a big Duke supporter. I LOVE the women's program! I want nothing but the best for the team. I get the feeling that Aby and Nish and the gang feel betrayed...

Too many times in the women's arena of NCAA hoops have we seen so-called rising powers lose ground and fall back to the 2nd tier and middle of the pack...ie. Virginia, Stanford, ODU, Georgia, Vandy, Iowa, La Tech. You can't afford to take a few years off in women's hoops as it will bite you in the butt! Once you are at the top...you have to fight and claw and keep your rear up there! I don't want to become one of those other programs. I want to be right there with UCONN and TENN. We aren't. We are close, but I feel like we are losing our ground...

calltheobvious
01-29-2008, 12:11 AM
I am not sure I saw anything different in the last six minutes than in the rest of the game? Maybe I missed something- but Tenn had a max of a 5 point lead. Duke shot poorly all night but kept up the defensive pressure. The game was tied with under a minute. How do you see players out there who don't care when that happened. What am I missing?

Again with the strawmen. I didn't write that I saw players out there who didn't "care when that happened" (though I don't know what the antecedent of "that" is). I'm arguing that, as well as Parker was defended most of the game, she was not defended with any intensity whatsoever on the most important UT possession. Duke's offense, despite Abby's late 3, played without clarity of purpose in the last two minutes. And despite a time-out immediately preceeding Parker's final free throws and ensuing in-bounds play, Duke displayed a complete lack of organization on its final possession, which explains the painfully-low-percentage attempt. I'm not trying to be snide, but those are the things you're missing.

watzone
01-29-2008, 03:15 AM
picture gallery (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/DukeTennesseeWomensPics/_archives/2008/1/29/3492630.html)

OZ
01-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Duke4Life wrote..
"What's the big change this season folks??? Yes Lindsay is gone. We insert Thomas at the point and she can hit some outside shots...she can penetrate very well for her age...we still have a big in Black that replaced Bales...so why in the world is our offense the worst shooting team since 1990??
What's the underlying difference?"

You are joking..right... comparing Black to Bales... and Thomas to Lindsey (who was only the national player of the year)?

jjasper0729
01-29-2008, 08:49 AM
I won't even start to try to compare this years' members to any from last year or any previous years. However, outside of Chante, they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat last night. How many layups does Cheek have to miss before she gets to make one? Same with Gay. Abby is a tireless player, but outside of her one 3 in the waning seconds and some nifty passing earlier, she was almost nonexistent on the offensive end. My wife yelled at me for screaming at the TV last night over all the missed layups (even ones on the break).

Very disheartening because it's not just been last night, but most of the season that the offensive woes have been around.

DUKIECB
01-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Good grief! You people act like the sky is falling!

I was at the game last night and yes there were some things we could have done better, but I think the positives still outweigh the negatives. You have to put things into perspective.

1) We have a new coach with a new system, and that takes time to learn.
2) We don't have a national player of the year point guard running the show, we have a freshman playing point.
3) The team has fought through injuries and is just now getting healthy.
4) Chante was under the weather last night.
5) The best shooter on the team, Abby, is in a horrible shooting slump right now.

And even with all of the above we gave the defending national champions and probably the best team in the country everything they wanted and more.

Give them a break.

bird
01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Good grief! You people act like the sky is falling!

I was at the game last night and yes there were some things we could have done better, but I think the positives still outweigh the negatives. You have to put things into perspective.

1) We have a new coach with a new system, and that takes time to learn.
2) We don't have a national player of the year point guard running the show, we have a freshman playing point.
3) The team has fought through injuries and is just now getting healthy.
4) Chante was under the weather last night.
5) The best shooter on the team, Abby, is in a horrible shooting slump right now.

And even with all of the above we gave the defending national champions and probably the best team in the country everything they wanted and more.

Give them a break.

I was there too. I agree with the above.

watzone
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
The team has played a tough schedule and is still gaining chemestry. They'll be the kind of team you don't want to draw in March. Despite all the complaints here - they were close to getting a win over the number two team in the country.

Duvall
01-29-2008, 12:15 PM

Er, no.

The problem is not that Duke had an off night offensively. The problem is that Duke has looked lost on offense the entire season. Even in games where the defense generated a comfortable margin of victory, this team looks lost in the halfcourt. You can't pin it all on a freshman point guard.

Teton Jack
01-29-2008, 12:24 PM
My take on the game involves the lack of confidence I saw in many of our inside players. In previous years, we played with a swagger. Having Lindsay Harding and Allison Bales, the Human Eraser, sure helped. Yet, we had a number of incredible passes inside that led to fumbles, air balls and missed opportunities. Our inside players often looked ill-at-ease with the ball and glad to be rid of it.

It's not that we played the #2 team to a 3-point loss, it's that we did not close out the game as we could have. For us to be a national challenger we cannot take comfort from any loss, even to the "Orange" of TN.

Regards,

Teton Jack

dukelifer
01-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Again with the strawmen. I didn't write that I saw players out there who didn't "care when that happened" (though I don't know what the antecedent of "that" is). I'm arguing that, as well as Parker was defended most of the game, she was not defended with any intensity whatsoever on the most important UT possession. Duke's offense, despite Abby's late 3, played without clarity of purpose in the last two minutes. And despite a time-out immediately preceeding Parker's final free throws and ensuing in-bounds play, Duke displayed a complete lack of organization on its final possession, which explains the painfully-low-percentage attempt. I'm not trying to be snide, but those are the things you're missing.

Parker is clearly the best player in the women's game. Duke defended her well most of the game. But yes- she is tough to play when she makes up her mind to make a move. The last few minutes of O for Tenn was not a thing of beauty either. They struggled as well. As for the last shot- yes there was a lack of organization- but that was a prayer to get that in, regardless. The game could have been won on Abby's three. She missed by a little- perhaps taken from too far out- but she has made those before. The biggest difference of this team to the last few is the lack of a true star player- there is no Harding, or Currie or Beard who can takeover. Waner is capable but she is in a mental slump. As for shooting woes, some of it is the offensive sets and much of it is just missing. Waner last year was shooting very well from long range - and Harding had a great mid range game. Those two players accounted for much of Duke's good shooting. If anything this team will get after you on D and rebound well. The O will be a challenge- much like the Duke Men's team last year. It will get better.

BlueDevilBaby
01-29-2008, 02:14 PM
The team has played a tough schedule and is still gaining chemestry. They'll be the kind of team you don't want to draw in March. Despite all the complaints here - they were close to getting a win over the number two team in the country.

I agree with watzone and the others who have posted similar thoughts. I was concerned Duke would lose badly in this game because the offense has not been clicking or is not so smooth as in prior years, and after seeing the MD game in person. However, even when the offense was a bit rough, they were still able to hold TN and Parker down for most of the night. A few layups and foul shots fall for Duke, or a prayer of a three by TN at the shot clock buzzer does not go down, and maybe a double team on Parker at the end there (why did they stop doing that?), and it's a happy ending for us. I'm still proud of our girls!