PDA

View Full Version : More love from Bristol

wisteria
01-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Another headline Duke story by Dinich. Very nice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3218060

4decadedukie
01-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Very nice (her termination notice just left the printer at ESPN headquarters).
:D

Indoor66
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Another headline Duke story by Dinich. Very nice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3218060

And Heather writes coherent sentences. What a joy.

wilson
01-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Along with CBS Sportsline's Gary Parrish, ESPN's Joe Lunardi now has us projected as a #1 seed:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

I still haven't come all the way around to believing that this team will be a 1, but I'm starting to believe that it's at least distinctly possible. A 2, in my mind, is very reasonable.
Lunardi has only 4 ACC teams in his projected field: Us, kuralonna, Climpsun, and Miami. BC and FSU both listed among the last teams to miss the field.

Classof06
01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
The way we're playing right now, I don't think Lunardi had much of a choice. It is worth noting that Lunardi has said since November that he would not be surprised if Duke ended up as a 1 seed.

dukerev
01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Because a bracketology in late January is exactly what'll happen (ha!) a few thoughts about Lunardi's latest work:

The light (awful) blue crowd down 15-501/751 will be frothing at the mouth that Joe has them going out west and Duke in Raleigh/Charlotte.

I'm so glad we're matched up with Tennessee as the #2 seed in our region. I'd rather face them than UCLA. (Again, as if this is really what'll happen, AND as if you can project 4 games into the tournament). Actually, even the 8/9 teams we're paired with don't scare me the way they usually do.

Frankly the best part of us being a projected #1 seed is that now I can look at what Lunardi has to say about us without being an espn insider.

Duvall
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM

We want Wagner.

mbd1mbd1
01-28-2008, 02:50 PM
The light (awful) blue crowd down 15-501/751 will be frothing at the mouth that Joe has them going out west and Duke in Raleigh/Charlotte.

Technically UNC is in the west regional, but because of the pod system, they are slated (along with Duke) to play the first two round in Raleigh. You think that would be a tough ticket?

dukerev
01-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I see where they'd be in the Raleigh pod. But they'll be upset about going out west for the regionals where we'd be in Charlotte. Again, this is all exceedingly speculative, but I'd bet that there are Heels who are unhappy about Joe Lunardi today precisely because of that.

As an aside, assuming that Duke and UNC both do play in the Raleigh pod, that is not necessarily a good thing for Duke. I remember years past where there were a lot of anti-Duke folks in the crowd and really got going during tourney games. Of course, this year's squad seems to have that "it" factor I keep hearing Bilas and others talk about that makes them respond positively in hostile environments.

Tom B.
01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Technically UNC is in the west regional, but because of the pod system, they are slated (along with Duke) to play the first two round in Raleigh. You think that would be a tough ticket?

Something similar happened a few years ago when both UNC and Duke were in different regions, but both played the first two rounds in Charlotte. For Duke, it might as well have been in the Dean Dome. I'd prefer DC (as long as Maryland isn't playing there as well), or possibly even Tampa or Birmingham, to sharing the RBC Center with the Heels and 15-16,000 of their fans.

hurleyfor3
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Something similar happened a few years ago when both UNC and Duke were in different regions, but both played the first two rounds in Charlotte. For Duke, it might as well have been in the Dean Dome. I'd prefer DC (as long as Maryland isn't playing there as well), or possibly even Tampa or Birmingham, to sharing the RBC Center with the Heels and 15-16,000 of their fans.

I'd prefer 2004, when unc got stuck out in some other time zone as a six-seed and we had Raleigh all to ourselves :D

TampaDuke
01-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I'd prefer DC (as long as Maryland isn't playing there as well), or possibly even Tampa or Birmingham, to sharing the RBC Center with the Heels and 15-16,000 of their fans.

Tampa would be nice!

billybreen
01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Something similar happened a few years ago when both UNC and Duke were in different regions, but both played the first two rounds in Charlotte. For Duke, it might as well have been in the Dean Dome.

It was that quiet?

alteran
01-28-2008, 04:01 PM
It was that quiet?

Oh no -- UNC fans get quite loud for us. Sometimes, they even dial the amps to 11.

billybreen
01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Oh no -- UNC fans get quite loud for us. Sometimes, they even dial the amps to 11.

As long as we don't have to smell the glove . . .

heath_harshman4
01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Lunardi has us as a #1...

in the east bracket starting in Raleigh and moving through Charlotte...how nice would that be?

ArtVandelay
01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I'd be more pumped about being paired against Tennessee than where we play. Obviously this is not what the bracket will look like (or, if recent history is an indicator, not even close), but you'd have to like Duke's chances against a team like Tennessee. UCLA, G-Town, and Wash St would all be much tougher draws, due to their style of play. Tennessee would be looking to run and gun against a team that, in my view, is better than them at running and gunning. But this is too far down the road. If I were a betting man, I would still say Duke ends up a 2 seed, although I must admit they've been surprising me. If we were, the question would then be - who would you rather play out of the "top four" (i.e. Kansas, UNC, Memphis, or UCLA)?