PDA

View Full Version : Osby admiration

Methodistman
01-28-2008, 12:26 PM
I've got to admit it was really nice to watch a tough, physical inside player who didn't take cheap shots at our players. I really appreciate his tenacity. And since we've had a few games recently where the other team has really given us some cheap shots, I just admired how he could play so tough, but also clean.

NovaScotian
01-28-2008, 12:35 PM
oh, and you've got to love that afro

Duvall
01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Let us not forget scoring the winning basket against UNC and forcing a 6-15 night from Hansbrough.

CMS2478
01-28-2008, 01:02 PM
He played awsome against Carolina. I knew we would have our hands full with him and Gist.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Agree completely. Very good player (and only getting better) and none of the extracurricular. In fact, I came away from the Maryland game fairly impressed overall. I didn't see any cheap shots and there was very minimal woofing. Guys celebrated great plays with their team, but I didn't see many times where a Maryland player got up in a Duke player's face in a nasty way. Maybe it's just good vibes from the Carolina L, but I actually have very little negative to say about this Maryland team.

Clipsfan
01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree as well. I was one of the many who thought VT's tactics were very distasteful earlier last week, but I didn't feel the same way about MD. I didn't want them to win the game, but I wasn't going to feel as poorly if they did because I would have thought that they'd earned it. I respect a team that just goes out there and plays hard, and they did that.

rthomas
01-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Add me to the list. I like the back to the basket old fashioned hooks. I was pretty impressed with Vasquez too.

wilson
01-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Agreed on all points. Their fans, however, are still trash (and their coach isn't far from it).

Exiled_Devil
01-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree with Osby, but on a downer, I saw Grevious* give Singler a little tap/punch in the small of the back before an inbounds. Not anything T-worthy, but a little chippy. I expect that players will touch-up when they cover someone, and incidental contact is one thing, but this looked like a low-ball move.

It may be skewed by my ongoing dislike for MD point guards.

Exiled

*If he breaks out with two extra arms and a bad cough, we're in trouble :p

dukemomLA
01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I also was impressed and surprised by the wonderful play (and restraint) of the MD players. Osby, Gist, Vasquez, Hayes, etc. They are a class act! (And... Gary W..... well, leaves much to be desired... where/how did they learn such decorum?)

This MD team has a HUGE upside. And I also enjoyed every minute of this game. (....I confess....mostly because I NEVER had any doubt that Duke would reign victorious)...

I'd like to add an admonishment to Terps fans. Shame on you!!! To see the stands empty out with minutes to play was what us Dukies would expect from the fair weather fans that frequent the Comcast Center. Disgusting!! I know this is a school who boos their own, and think they are rivals to Duke and UNC..........BUT -- without some class and support of your deserving team (win or lose), you're still second tier. Prove me wrong Terps fans. (I know you read DBR with every breath you take).

GREAT WIN for us!! Again, I LOVE this team.

gw67
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Osby is a feel good story for the Terps. He was not highly recruited in high school (Richmond). He went to New Mexico and did not see much action as a freshman. He left and played junior college ball and had very mediocre stats. The Terps were looking for a big man to back up Ibekwe and Osby was a late signing. The idiots on the Maryland board went crazy and many proclaimed that his was a wasted scholarship. Early last year, it appeared that they may have been correct. He was shorter than advertised (his afro hides the fact that he is probably closer to 6-6 than 6-8), he had no back-to-the-basket moves, couldn’t shoot and was a foul waiting to happen. Chris Knoche of the Terps’ radio team made a funny remark in one of the early games about one of the refs giving him a foul while he was waiting on the sideline ready to enter the game.

Amazingly, he grew as a player last year, adding short hook shots and left hand shots to get over and around the bigger players (I suspect that big man coach, Keith Booth, had a major role in his sudden development). He also started to play much better defense although his strength caused him problems when he would body up on a player and send him flying. This year he has continued his growth as a player and during interviews he comes across as a young man who is living his dream of playing in the ACC. Williams mentioned earlier this year that both of his seniors were on track to graduate on time. I have always admired the kids who stick around, see their chance as a senior, and make the most of it. That certainly appears to be the case for Osby.

With regard to the comment re Vasquez and Singler. I didn't see the play mentioned but I wouldn't worry too much about Singler. He gives as good as he gets.

gw67

BlueDevilJay
01-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Funny thing about this thread is, while discussing the game last night with a fellow Dukie here at work this morning, I mentioned that I actually found a MD player that I liked in Osby. A big guy with an inside presence who plays the game clean, doesn't whine and moan to the refs (Im surprised Sweaty hasn't disciplined him for this yet) and is a pretty good player. Obviously an easy explanation is that he is a Juco transfer, so he has not had 4 years there to be injected with their hatred for Duke I suppose.

Kudos to the guy, he lets his game do the talking on the court. And he became my fave MD player last week when he hit that diving layup to knock off the Holes as well. Good thread.

SeattleIrish
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll pile on top of the praise of Osby - love the toughness.

I've actually liked almost all of the MD players, even though they've given us fits for the last 6 or so years. Like Dixon. Loved Blake (I have a soft spot for players who get the most of their abilities).

However, I simply can't stand their fans. The represent their institution so poorly that it taints the team to some extent.

s.i.

CDu
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I agree with Osby, but on a downer, I saw Grevious* give Singler a little tap/punch in the small of the back before an inbounds. Not anything T-worthy, but a little chippy. I expect that players will touch-up when they cover someone, and incidental contact is one thing, but this looked like a low-ball move.

It may be skewed by my ongoing dislike for MD point guards.

Exiled

*If he breaks out with two extra arms and a bad cough, we're in trouble :p

I saw that play, and didn't quite have the same reaction at all. Seemed like a playful tap/poke in the back to me. I've seen that before while playing pickup when a guy is facing away from you before the ball is checked in. There didn't appear to be any malice in the tap to me, and it obviously wasn't a hard hit as Singler didn't even react to it at all. I could be wrong of course, but that's how I saw it.

This was the first time in a LONG time that I haven't come away from a Duke/Maryland game agree about something or someone from their team. They played hard but seemed to play fair and didn't seem to get into it with our guys. It was a nice change of pace.

4decadedukie
01-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I've got to admit it was really nice to watch a tough, physical inside player who didn't take cheap shots at our players. I really appreciate his tenacity. And since we've had a few games recently where the other team has really given us some cheap shots, I just admired how he could play so tough, but also clean.

You bet; I have great respect for his abilities, doggedness, and attitude.

TravisMcGee
01-28-2008, 03:37 PM
It's a bit long but here is a nice read about Boom. You have to hear him speak in person to appreciate what a uniquely funny, humble guy he really is. I wish he was going to be around a few more years -- not just for basketball reasons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/11/AR2007121102392.html

riverside6
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I saw that play, and didn't quite have the same reaction at all. Seemed like a playful tap/poke in the back to me. I've seen that before while playing pickup when a guy is facing away from you before the ball is checked in. There didn't appear to be any malice in the tap to me, and it obviously wasn't a hard hit as Singler didn't even react to it at all. I could be wrong of course, but that's how I saw it.

This was the first time in a LONG time that I haven't come away from a Duke/Maryland game agree about something or someone from their team. They played hard but seemed to play fair and didn't seem to get into it with our guys. It was a nice change of pace.
Completely agree, I thought Vasquez was tapping Singler to simply say "what's up?"

dukelifer
01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Osby is a throwback. He uses the glass well, makes his throws and is very strong. He could have an NBA future if he continues his hard work. This Maryland team is pretty good- they lack good shooters from the outside and are not very deep in the sense that there is a big fall off when their bench players comes in. But their main guys are pretty good. Gist is playing like a senior and Vasquez has a lot of flash to his game.

gadzooks
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
oh, and you've got to love that afroI know! I'm sure my husband got tired of hearing me say, "Will you look at that HAIR?" I love it.

Oh yeah, kid can play, too. :D

ugadevil
01-28-2008, 04:34 PM
It also looked like Osby was having a good time out on the court. I saw him smile on a couple of occasions, and I think he enjoyed himself. I can't help but laugh at his free throw form though.

Methodistman
01-28-2008, 05:22 PM
That was an ugly looking form, but it was hard to argue with the results last night - 6/9. I laughed at everyone in amazement that it went in!