PDA

View Full Version : They always bring their best game . . .

4decadedukie
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
I am continuously amazed that virtually every team Duke plays brings its ”best game” -- at home, in Cameron, and at neutral sites -- almost continuously exceeding its generally demonstrated capabilities. This is not news and, in fact, has been a clear feature of our MBB program for many years. In part, I am sure, this is due to our: (a) long-term performance record and reputation; (b) the program’s prominence (for all the “right reasons”); and (c) Duke’s unremitting ability to sell-out games at all venues.

With this said, however, I believe it creates a major advantage and a concomitant disadvantage for the Blue Devils. The obvious benefit is we are hardened over the long-course of a season, especially during ACC play where – in any given contest – an upset can (and frequently will) occur. The associated impediment is (after a very few “warm-up” games in November) our team rarely has an easy, tensionless contest, which is certain to have a debilitating impact in the long run.

Your comments would be most welcome.

Jumbo
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I am continuously amazed that virtually every team Duke plays brings its ”best game” -- at home, in Cameron, and at neutral sites -- almost continuously exceeding its generally demonstrated capabilities. This is not news and, in fact, has been a clear feature of our MBB program for many years. In part, I am sure, this is due to our: (a) long-term performance record and reputation; (b) the program’s prominence (for all the “right reasons”); and (c) Duke’s unremitting ability to sell-out games at all venues.

With this said, however, I believe it creates a major advantage and a concomitant disadvantage for the Blue Devils. The obvious benefit is we are hardened over the long-course of a season, especially during ACC play where – in any given contest – an upset can (and frequently will) occur. The associated impediment is (after a very few “warm-up” games in November) our team rarely has an easy, tensionless contest, which is certain to have a debilitating impact in the long run.

Your comments would be most welcome.

And yet the Maryland game was the first Duke didn't win by double-digits. And we won by nine.
Duke still has room to improve, and against some of the lesser ACC teams, the next step will be mixing in a couple of blowouts for some of those tension-free victories you mentioned.

DukeDevil
01-28-2008, 01:03 PM
I've already decided that these games can and will one day give me a heart attack...that's why I've taken up an exercise regimen...try and postpone that MI a little.

Wander
01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Did Wisconsin play its best game of the season against Duke? How about Virginia? Maryland? Temple?

wilson
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I dunno that I'd say that absolutely every team plays its best game against us, but they darn sure get more "up" for their Duke game than any other. Some nights, no matter how bad you want it, you just don't have your best stuff. But I agree that we get an inordinate number of other teams' best-possible performances.
kuralonna is in that boat too. Climpsun and maryland both seem to play their butts off against us and the baby blues. State gets into that mix a lot of years too.

JasonEvans
01-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Carolina gets everyone's best shot too. Same with Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA... the list goes on and it includes all the elite programs. Other teams almost always "get up" for the best competition. Sure, they throw some stinkers out there and the elite teams blow some of them out precisely because they are elite, but this is not a phenomenon that is unique to Duke.

--Jason "I might add that we also tend to play extra hard against Carolina and vice-versa" Evans

Classof06
01-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Carolina gets everyone's best shot too. Same with Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA... the list goes on and it includes all the elite programs. Other teams almost always "get up" for the best competition. Sure, they throw some stinkers out there and the elite teams blow some of them out precisely because they are elite, but this is not a phenomenon that is unique to Duke.

--Jason "I might add that we also tend to play extra hard against Carolina and vice-versa" Evans

Most of me agrees with you, Jason. All elite programs get the other team's best shot, especially within conference. But I think there's also something to be said about the fact that Duke is both the most successful and most hated team of the past 25 years. I'm guessing the difference is negligible, but I think teams, ACC teams at least, give a little extra emphasis to playing Duke.

If you took the biggest basketball fan from each ACC school and said "You can only beat one of the two: would you rather have your team beat Carolina or Duke this year?" I'm guessing every single fan would say Duke. We just came off a streak of 7 outta 8 ACC Tourney titles. That sparks the kind of hate you just don't find for UNC. Carolina missed the tournament a couple years ago and it was a blip on the radar. Duke goes 22-11 last year and the ACC is literally rejoicing.

dukestheheat
01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
I've already decided that these games can and will one day give me a heart attack...that's why I've taken up an exercise regimen...try and postpone that MI a little.

dude, i'm with you; i'm going to pop an MI one game as well. i've done better since my crazie days, however; have you seen that paper mache ESPN commercial with the kids/UNC pinata and the guy off to the side in the Duke sweatshirt screaming 'kill that, hit it, hit it hard, kill it!'.

yep, m-e.

for sure.

dth.

Duvall
01-28-2008, 06:36 PM
If you took the biggest basketball fan from each ACC school and said "You can only beat one of the two: would you rather have your team beat Carolina or Duke this year?" I'm guessing every single fan would say Duke.

State.

SeattleIrish
01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
For those who have chosen never to read Inside Carolina, this may come be new information: Carolina INSISTS they get every ACC teams BEST shot.

I believe it's a matter of perspective. I'm guessing UVA feels VT saves their best game for them.

s.i.

devildownunder
01-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Most of me agrees with you, Jason. All elite programs get the other team's best shot, especially within conference. But I think there's also something to be said about the fact that Duke is both the most successful and most hated team of the past 25 years. I'm guessing the difference is negligible, but I think teams, ACC teams at least, give a little extra emphasis to playing Duke.

If you took the biggest basketball fan from each ACC school and said "You can only beat one of the two: would you rather have your team beat Carolina or Duke this year?" I'm guessing every single fan would say Duke.

and 20 years ago, everyone's fave team to beat would have been North Carolina. Whoever has the most success in the recent past always has the biggest target.

sandinmyshoes
01-29-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't think who the teams get up for is directly related to who the fans get up for. The fans have longer lasting grudges, and they are often geographic. NCSU and Wake fans still generally hate UNC more than Duke because so many of them live with so many more UNC fans than Duke fans. And I know, because I live with so many UNC fans, that they are actually torn about who they hate worse, Duke or NCSU. It's Duke's success weighed against the larger number of NCSU fans in state.

The players for the teams almost certainly pick up on some of that, but I also think they feed more off of which top teams they've struggled against, or had bad luck against, or whatever. And, like Jason said, the elite programs all draw fire. It's like being the legendary gunslinger in the old west, the elite teams gain some advantage in that sometimes in the back of the other team's mind they have doubts that they can take down Goliath, but on the other hand there are no other teams they would rather take down.