PDA

View Full Version : Is 'Canadian' a Racist Term?

colchar
01-26-2008, 02:11 PM
According to the story below, there is a bit of an kerfuffle going on because a Texas DA referred to blacks on a jusry as 'Canadians' and the implication is that the term has now become racist code for blacks and/or the N-word.

I've never heard the term used in this way before - is this a common thing down there or is this fairly rare?

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/297666

ugadevil
01-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I didn't know it was racist. I just thought it was another way of saying hockey fan :D

YmoBeThere
01-26-2008, 03:02 PM
First I have heard of it...but I am not on the bleeding edge of things.

murpho
01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes I have heard that Canadian has become a code for describing blacks, espcially among law enforcement and wait staff.

wilson
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
According to the story below, there is a bit of an kerfuffle going on because a Texas DA referred to blacks on a jusry as 'Canadians' and the implication is that the term has now become racist code for blacks and/or the N-word.

I've never heard the term used in this way before - is this a common thing down there or is this fairly rare?

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/297666

I've heard of it too, though not necessarily in relation to a particular group of users (e.g. law enforcement and waitstaff). It's uncommon enough to still be used in such encoded form among certain circles, but it was only a matter of time before a story like this made its way out.

bdh21
01-26-2008, 04:44 PM
The article's take on actual Canadians...

"Long derogated as weak-kneed liberals with lax laws and funny monopoly money"

cspan37421
01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
The article's take on actual Canadians...

"Long derogated as weak-kneed liberals with lax laws and funny monopoly money"

and that money is now more or less on parity with the US dollar!

colchar
01-27-2008, 05:04 AM
and that money is now more or less on parity with the US dollar!

It was worth more than the Greenback a few weeks ago.

Lavabe
01-27-2008, 09:48 AM
According to UrbanDictionary, it's the fifth definition, with 286 thumbs up, 177 thumbs down.

Never heard of it. Then again, I hadn't heard of "word life" until the other day.;)

Fortunately, the fourth definition is beer.

Lavabe

devildeac
01-27-2008, 09:53 AM
According to UrbanDictionary, it's the fifth definition, with 286 thumbs up, 177 thumbs down.

Never heard of it. Then again, I hadn't heard of "word life" until the other day.;)

Lavabe

Did I hear beer? Canadian? Eh? Must be Unibroue:D

Fish80
01-27-2008, 02:58 PM
My brother went to Clarkson, and he and his buddies would cross the border to buy cheap Canadian beer. That started me drinking Brador. Long time ago it was a drinkable cheap beer. Haven't had Brador in many moons.

colchar
01-27-2008, 04:19 PM
My brother went to Clarkson, and he and his buddies would cross the border to buy cheap Canadian beer. That started me drinking Brador. Long time ago it was a drinkable cheap beer. Haven't had Brador in many moons.

I had one last night. I've never really been a fan (my Dad was the plumber at Molsons for almost 30 years so I have tried every one of their beers but just couldn't get into Brador) but it was bought for me so I certainly wasn't about to turn down a free beer.

colchar
01-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Ever noticed how virtually EVERY discussion of anything relating to Canada on these boards always comes round to a mention of beer?

devildeac
01-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Ever noticed how virtually EVERY discussion of anything relating to Canada on these boards always comes round to a mention of beer?

Heck, so did the most recent James Bond film discussion-go figure:eek: (and I even thought about answering with a suggestion of which beer went best with a Bond movie, but better judgment prevailed for that brief moment:D ).

Lavabe
01-27-2008, 05:17 PM

Is there a problem?:o

Lavabe

colchar
01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Is there a problem?:o

Lavabe

The way my head feels today there just might be. Then again, I only had one or two beers last night - I'm actually under the weather because of rye. Damned rye flu.

Bostondevil
01-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Ever notice how virtually every discussion on any topic with an actual Canadian eventually comes around to beer? ;)

colchar
01-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Ever notice how virtually every discussion on any topic with an actual Canadian eventually comes around to beer? ;)

Try living here.

Lavabe
01-28-2008, 06:31 PM

I beg to differ.

Just check out the PPB, and look at how few times colchar has to deal with beer. Put colchar in the same PPB thread with snowdenscold or Gary, and you'll RARELY see any mention of beer.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

cspan37421
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Don't you know you're not supposed to use the C-word? Only Canadian musicians can use it, because for them, it isn't necessarily derogatory. ;)

Oh no! I used it! Who's got my back?

Lavabe
01-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Don't you know you're not supposed to use the C-word? Only Canadian musicians can use it, because for them, it isn't necessarily derogatory. ;)

Oh no! I used it! Who's got my back?

The Atlanta mafia has you covered. Now if you start talkin' 'bout BACK BACON, we'll have to reconsider.;)

Oh Canada ...