PDA

View Full Version : UNC-Depth?

DukeBlood
01-25-2008, 09:53 PM
The loss of Frasor is really hurting UNC.

I dont see playing 5 minutes a game enough to call them a regular in the rotation. As of right now, UNC is averaging 7 players playing 10 mins or more(not counting Frasor). Thomas, Graves, and Copeland come off the bench for a combined 15 minutes of play.

They were only playing 6 deep when Thompson was out. Now that he is back(and a starter) they are going to 7 man rotation.

I know alot of you think UNC is deep(as i once did), but really go look at it. The Miami game only 7 players played 10 mins or more. Three played 32+ mins. It was never really a "close" game.. The closest it became in the 2nd half was 59-52 with 13:45 left. Outside of that it was a 12+ game.

The last couple years Duke has played a 7-man rotation and we have complained about not being Deep. So, Is UNC deep? The starters are very talented, but the bench is not deep.

weezie
01-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I think you're on to something. But Frasor? Sheesh, outside of his rare threes, was he really that crucial to their game?
Maybe they're just worn out from all that posing for team posters and patting themselves on the back. The ol'ACC regular season has a way of chipping the favs down to size every year.

Wander
01-25-2008, 10:43 PM
But Frasor? Sheesh, outside of his rare threes, was he really that crucial to their game?

You do realize how bad Quentin Thomas is, right? :)

Duke is deeper than UNC this year - I don't know anyone who thinks otherwise.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Frasor served a role for Carolina similar to Nolan. Someone to handle the ball and give some front court defense. I think his loss is more significant than his numbers alone would suggest.

norduck
01-25-2008, 10:53 PM
The loss of Frasor is really hurting UNC.

I dont see playing 5 minutes a game enough to call them a regular in the rotation. As of right now, UNC is averaging 7 players playing 10 mins or more(not counting Frasor). Thomas, Graves, and Copeland come off the bench for a combined 15 minutes of play.

They were only playing 6 deep when Thompson was out. Now that he is back(and a starter) they are going to 7 man rotation.

I know alot of you think UNC is deep(as i once did), but really go look at it. The Miami game only 7 players played 10 mins or more. Three played 32+ mins. It was never really a "close" game.. The closest it became in the 2nd half was 59-52 with 13:45 left. Outside of that it was a 12+ game.

The last couple years Duke has played a 7-man rotation and we have complained about not being Deep. So, Is UNC deep? The starters are very talented, but the bench is not deep.

UNC is currently in a 8 day lull between games. They will be well-rested when they return and dull hopefully.

sandinmyshoes
01-26-2008, 07:18 AM
I noticed that when he was playing Frasor was sometimes used by Williams to refocus or calm down the team when it started losing discipline. I think his loss really does hurt them, although Thomas has been more capable than I would have guessed, in the short run that he gets.

With Frasor gone, our team is deeper, but that doesn't make UNC a team without depth. Stepheson can come in for either of the post positions. Green can come in as a two guard, small forward and even at the power forward at times (it surprised me, but he's done it in at least three games I've watched).

The weak link, depth wise, is Thomas for Lawson. Even if Thomas is playing decently this year, it is a big drop talent wise from Lawson, and Thomas doesn't bring that coach on the floor mentality that Frasor seemed to have.

The key might be Will Graves. The kid can shoot , rebound and even handle the ball, but his defense is not very effective on a team that seems to wander when it comes to defensive intensity. But I noticed that Williams stole a few minutes with Graves on the floor by playing zone against Miami. I wonder if that will be something we see more of as the season progresses for UNC?

Classof06
01-26-2008, 01:49 PM
I noticed that when he was playing Frasor was sometimes used by Williams to refocus or calm down the team when it started losing discipline. I think his loss really does hurt them, although Thomas has been more capable than I would have guessed, in the short run that he gets.

With Frasor gone, our team is deeper, but that doesn't make UNC a team without depth. Stepheson can come in for either of the post positions. Green can come in as a two guard, small forward and even at the power forward at times (it surprised me, but he's done it in at least three games I've watched).

The weak link, depth wise, is Thomas for Lawson. Even if Thomas is playing decently this year, it is a big drop talent wise from Lawson, and Thomas doesn't bring that coach on the floor mentality that Frasor seemed to have.

The key might be Will Graves. The kid can shoot , rebound and even handle the ball, but his defense is not very effective on a team that seems to wander when it comes to defensive intensity. But I noticed that Williams stole a few minutes with Graves on the floor by playing zone against Miami. I wonder if that will be something we see more of as the season progresses for UNC?

Totally agree with this, I think Lawson is the weak link that Duke can and has to capitalize on if they're going to beat Carolina. Lawson getting pressured by a constantly by either a fresh Nolan (who guarded Lawson in practice at Oak Hill every day) or a fresh Paulus is going to wear him out over the course of a game. Personally, I don't believe Quentin Thomas will be a factor if we pressure him the way we're capable of. The Frasor injury is beginning to loom as large as some predicted it would.

Duke is already giving up a sizable (no pun intended) advantage down low; Carolina's depth at the point is an issue they need to exploit.

devildeac
01-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Totally agree with this, I think Lawson is the weak link that Duke can and has to capitalize on if they're going to beat Carolina. Lawson getting pressured by a constantly by either a fresh Nolan (who guarded Lawson in practice at Oak Hill every day) or a fresh Paulus is going to wear him out over the course of a game. Personally, I don't believe Quentin Thomas will be a factor if we pressure him the way we're capable of. The Frasor injury is beginning to loom as large as some predicted it would.

Duke is already giving up a sizable (no pun intended) advantage down low; Carolina's depth at the point is an issue they need to exploit.

Most folks think we will see Markie guarding Lawson a lot.

sandinmyshoes
01-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Nelson's wingspan will help negate some of Lawson's speed, so I could see that. Both coaches are of the stuborn sort (seems like most good coaches are) but I wonder if we'll see anything creative in substitution patterns? With Coach K trying to keep a quick guy on Lawson and resting them when he's out of the game, or Williams trying to sub in Thomas when our quicker guards are getting a rest? At this stage of the season both of them will probably just play their game as usual and see if it's good enough to win.