PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. Maryland Pre-Game & In-Game Thread

Billy Dat
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Our team has me very excited; they're tough, talented yet workman-like, and all of the other words in the old Roget's.

Winning Maui was great, beating Wisconsin was too, starting the ACC 4-0 is encouraging...

Every ACC game is big, ACC road games are that much bigger, Maryland is a hated rival, etc. Sunday's game is BIGGER then those reasons.

To me, getting swept by Maryland last season was particularly galling. They were an average team, and both times we played we showed nothing. The first meeting, at Comcast, we were coming off the two heartbreakers against UVA and FSU and the disheartening loss to UNC. We should have had all the motivation in the world and we mever showed up. Worse was the rematch at home. We were coming off the 4 game winning streak that started at BC and featured a solid road win at Clemson, and a revenge win home against Tech. It looked like we had turned a corner and we ready to start playing some ball. Instead, at home no less, we had no life, laid an egg, and began our 4 game season ending slide.

Those two games, more then any other, to me, personified the flaws of last year's team.

I want to believe that this team is different. All evidence supports that this year's team is different. A win Sunday night at Comcast against a fresh legged Terp squad will prove it to me. It's that kind of game.

LET'S GO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beltwayBD
01-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Can't wait. Vasquez pissed me off so many times last year. Looks like we're better and they're worse than last year, so we've got a good shot at redemption Sunday.

gw67
01-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I’ve watched about 2/3 of the Maryland games so far this year so I thought that I would provide a review of the Terps.

Season to Date – The Terps started very slowly and, other than the win at UNC and a handful of wins at home against so-so teams, they have played poorly as a team. Their record is 12-7 but they have won 6 of their 7 games since their home loss to American. Their ACC record is 2-2 and their RPI is in unfamiliar territory. Nevertheless, the Terps normally get up for the Devils and last weekend’s game against the Heels showed that they are capable of being competitive. The following is a detailed look at the team:

“the good”

Although the Terps have not played well as a team for most of the season, there have been some “good” aspects to their play:
· The team defense has been good. They lead the ACC in FG % defense; blocked shots; and are second to Duke in 3-pt FG % defense. Maryland fans cry crocodile tears about the lack of quickness in the backcourt but Vasquez and Hayes are tall, have good reach, put forth good effort and play good fundamental defense. Vasquez has played Lawson very well the past two years.
· The backcourt play of Vasquez and Hayes has been solid. They average 27.4 ppg and 11.4 apg. Hayes takes care of the ball and has an a/to of 2.65.
· Vasquez is averaging 16.6 ppg, 6.3 apg and 5.4 rpg. He has shot poorly in a handful of games but in those games his floor play was very good. When he is on his game, he is one of the top ten players in the ACC.
· At times, Gist and Osby have had some good games and their recent performances may be an indication that they are ready to play well for the remainder of the year.

“the bad”

· The Terps have six freshmen and a sophomore who had not played much last year. These players occupy one starter position and the first four players off the bench. The lack of production from these players and their mistakes/turnovers has been the principal reason behind the slow start of the Terps. Only Milbourne and Tucker have shown glimpses of being productive players and none of the four big men have stepped up. I am probably being very unfair to these youngsters but it is not apparent whether they are just taking time to adjust to the speed of the game and size of the opponents or whether their problems are not temporary and the ACC is just above their level of play. This is a big issue for this year as well as next year.
· The Terps are not a good outside shooting team and this may be a reflection of their coach’s philosophy of pounding the ball down low, no matter what. The times the team has looked good, IMO, is when Williams has loosened the reins and let the team do more free lancing.
· Of the young players, only Milbourne can be counted on to make a free throw.
· The frontcourt players, starters as well as subs, are turnovers waiting to happen.

“the ugly”

· Bowie has the potential to be a good defensive player and he is outstanding at driving to the basket; however, his shooting motion from the field and foul line is, perhaps, the ugliest in the ACC. His field goal % is 53% but that is built on layups and dunks. From beyond two feet, he throws the ball at the hoop and it isn’t pretty.
· As discussed above, Vasquez has played very well; however, there are two ugly aspects to his game. First, he has a tendency to go one on five at times. More often than not this results in a fast break basket for the opposition. The other ugly aspect of his game is sometimes a strength – his emotional play. Personally, I was taught to not show up an opponent and he occasionally does so after a good play. He also is very hard on himself and sometimes carries this to an extreme – witness the pounding of the basket strut, which probably cost the Terps a win against BC.

Prediction vs. Duke

I am always amazed when the Terps give the Devils a good game or defeat them. They play an offensive scheme that relies on passing and inside play, which plays right into the defensive scheme used by Coach K. Even when they had Blake and Dixon, the Terps would turn the ball over numerous times and the current backcourt, while good, does not measure up to those guys. Further, they don’t make a good % of the few three pointers that they shoot. These offensive issues combined with the fact that the Devils spread things out on offense and rely of one-on-one play and good outside shooting negate any inside advantage the Terps have. I think that the Terps will put forth a good effort but will fall short by 8-10 points to the better team.

I am a fan of both teams and when they play, I just sit back and enjoy the game and not worry about who wins. I expect a competitive and emotional game. I note that one poster in one of the post-Tech threads mentioned that he/she expected dirty play in the Maryland game. To date, I’ve not noticed any dirty play by the Terps. Vasquez is chippy and Osby is physical but neither player has been dirty in games to date.

gw67

Bob Green
01-25-2008, 09:49 PM
gw67,

Thanks for a very informative post. Based on your scouting report, I expect we will concentrate on cutting off passing lanes and converting turnovers into transition points. I also believe Duke's small line-up will see significant playing time as Coach K will try to force Gary Williams to adjust to our style of play.

I'm excited about the matchup and predict another win on the road for our Blue Devils.

Troublemaker
01-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Great post, gw. Appreciate it. If it weren't for MD's performance in Chapel Hill and also their 7-day break to prepare for Duke at home, I'd think little of the Terps' chances to win. I'd have expected a similar game to the VT contest, not in physicality, but in how the underdog just doesn't have enough ball-handling and offense overall to threaten Duke for an entire game. I think I'll regard the victory at UNC to be a fluke but the 7-day break does give me some pause. Maybe Gary will throw a wrinkle or two at Duke that we haven't seen yet? In any case, I still expect that Duke wins this game against Maryland the vast majority of the time. It's all about Vasquez; the Terps won't win unless Greivis plays great, and we'll hound him enough with our bevy of perimeter players to prevent him from playing great the vast majority of the time.

dukegirlinsc
01-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't think anyone truly expected duke to be this good. Hell, I surely didn't. And I'm loving this team even more after each game.

But, that of course means, like usual...every team is going to bring their A game. I'm veryyyy excited for this game. They played UNC very tough, and I expect them to play Duke even tougher.

Keep it up boys.
:)

sandinmyshoes
01-26-2008, 07:20 AM
It's hard to get a handle on this game. Is Maryland awakening, or did UNC just have a bad game? Osby won't be as effective on defense against us, I don't think, since Kyle has much more range and ball handling ability than any of UNC's bigs. Rebounding is probably my number one worry.

CDu
01-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Thomas, King, and McClure are important in this one (in my opinion). They need to contain either Osby or Gist (whomever Singler isn't going against). This will free up Nelson/Henderson to guard Vazquez. I don't think Paulus is a good matchup there, and would feel more comfortable if Paulus was guarding Hayes. Vazquez is more aggressive and more of a game breaker, and against Paulus he had a tendency to "see blood" and attack.

We're better overall, but Maryland has a few dangerous players. We have to minimize Vazquez's effectiveness and not let Maryland's athleticism/aggressive hurt us on the boards. That said, they aren't nearly the same team as last year, when they had Strawberry, Jones, and Ibekwe. This team lacks those three, and while Milbourne and Osby have stepped up and been solid (and Vazquez has become their star), they just don't have the weapons they used to have.

This one should be more of a challenge than the Va Tech game, because they are more talented, have better backcourt play, and have better big men than the Hokies did. It should be just as physical, but much less chippy than the Va Tech game. Vazquez can be annoying, but he doesn't really do anything dirty. And the rest of their team is pretty vanilla in terms of chippiness level.

Classof06
01-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I think this game is going to be a war.

dukestheheat
01-26-2008, 03:06 PM
everybody,

This is going to be a very tough game for Duke.

1) That arena is hostile; indeed, they hate us.
2) They used to throw stuff at our players and at our player's families.
3) There are going to be signs and chants all over that arena.
4) Maryland is working on a resurgence for this year after beating Carolina; they're more confident and they need this game.
5) Gist is a freak of nature in the leaping department and they are going to work to get Singler out of the game or in foul trouble so he can't contribute as much.

All said, we are going to have to play great to win this game in my opinion.

Look for a lot of emotion from their crowd and their players, and Sweat Gary Sweat will be in Duke-ready form.

THROTTLE UP DUKE!

dth.

jjasper0729
01-26-2008, 03:36 PM
how exaclty did maryland get to have 7 full days between games for us to come to town?

jzp5079
01-26-2008, 04:07 PM
my house is going to be crazy. my roommate happens to be Miss Maryland 2006. Shes bringing her enemy friends over...I'm having the fellow Dukies over... tense environment in the house already...

Hope those twerps are ready for a big loss tomorrow.

365Duke
01-26-2008, 04:12 PM
my house is going to be crazy. my roommate happens to be Miss Maryland 2006. Shes bringing her enemy friends over...I'm having the fellow Dukies over... tense environment in the house already...

a bet waiting to happen. Maybe you should poll DBR and see what the losing fans have to do. Of course, you could tell them if they lose, their punishment is going back to being UM fans;)

wilson
01-26-2008, 04:27 PM
SWEAT, GARY, SWEAT!

One of my favorites.

Lavabe
01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
SWEAT, GARY, SWEAT!

One of my favorites.

Speaking of sweating ...

jzp5079: To give your roommate a truly Duke experience, turn off the AC, turn up the heat, get a fire going, and insist that everyone stand shouolder to shoulder. OH YEAH ... and plenty of face paint!

FWIW, Miss America is on tonight. You might have some practice antagonizing her with a little commentary about THAT competition.

Cheers,
Lavabe

jzp5079
01-26-2008, 05:48 PM
she informed me that she competed in the Miss USA section (apparently it is different from America, whodathunk)

I actually am laying off the game time chatter because her and her friends have spent all day baking me and my buddy cookies while we waste away the day with halo 3 (and by waste, I mean waste... we are just waiting to go see some guys from Reno 911 do some standup on campus tonight). Only two semesters left being a college student... I won't go out without Duke beating the terps at their place...

I actually hate the terps more then UNC.

mus074
01-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Maryland's offense is mediocre at best. The recent game at Chapel Hill was their recent best, and exceeded only by their games against Delaware, Morgan St., Lehigh and North Florida, the latest of which was a month ago. I don't see this as a trend, as the two previous games (VPI and WFU) were much more terrestrial and in line with the season's average. The trend is better correlated to UNC's ability to make mediocre offenses look superb.

Maryland's offense runs on offensive boards, while both shooting and turning over in the bottom third of all D-1. Duke's offense runs on its defense turning over the opposition, and Maryland looks to play that role well. Maryland takes very few threes and misses a lot of them. Their offense looks to pass to the open man for a 2 and corral a lot of the misses. UNC let them make lots of entry passes. Don't expect the Duke perimeter to be so porous.

Maryland's defense gets a very high percent of blocks and owns the area inside the arc. That said, their offensive SOS has been very weak, and that number includes UNC's 2nd ranked offense. Finally, their defense in highly correlated to getting turnovers, but they rank in the exact middle of the country in that category.

Maryland will be up for the game and look to continue last week's momentum back at home. The first ten minutes will be tight or even in Maryland's favor on adrenaline and drive. But their shallow bench (which ranks 298th for % of minutes) will let their starters wear down in the transition game. Duke going away.

devillighter
01-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Looks like I found two tickets to head up to college park with a fellow tent one member for tomorrows game... Hoping to survive with our lives :)

I think we may be wearing duke blue hard hats...

Lavabe
01-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Looks like I found two tickets to head up to college park with a fellow tent one member for tomorrows game... Hoping to survive with our lives :)

I think we may be wearing duke blue hard hats...

KEVLAR. Get a vest of the stuff. It'll save your life.

As an alternative, you could wear an American University t-shirt!

Will be looking for your hard hats on TV. GREAT idea!
Good Luck and Cheers,
Lavabe

Troublemaker
01-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Thomas, King, and McClure are important in this one (in my opinion). They need to contain either Osby or Gist (whomever Singler isn't going against). This will free up Nelson/Henderson to guard Vazquez. I don't think Paulus is a good matchup there, and would feel more comfortable if Paulus was guarding Hayes. Vazquez is more aggressive and more of a game breaker, and against Paulus he had a tendency to "see blood" and attack.

We're better overall, but Maryland has a few dangerous players. We have to minimize Vazquez's effectiveness and not let Maryland's athleticism/aggressive hurt us on the boards. That said, they aren't nearly the same team as last year, when they had Strawberry, Jones, and Ibekwe. This team lacks those three, and while Milbourne and Osby have stepped up and been solid (and Vazquez has become their star), they just don't have the weapons they used to have.

This one should be more of a challenge than the Va Tech game, because they are more talented, have better backcourt play, and have better big men than the Hokies did. It should be just as physical, but much less chippy than the Va Tech game. Vazquez can be annoying, but he doesn't really do anything dirty. And the rest of their team is pretty vanilla in terms of chippiness level.

Nice post as usual. I agree that I wouldn't want to see Paulus defending Vasquez, who I think should be Duke's primary focus in this game. I'm not sure I would put Paulus on Hayes, either, because I'd like to see Henderson/Scheyer spend most of the time on Maryland's best shooter and hopefully shut him down. With Nelson/Smith slated for duty on Vasquez (at least in the matchups in my head), I would suggest putting Paulus on Milbourne/Tucker, especially Milbourne who is shooting 38% from the field including 33% from behind the arc. Paulus can then be a designated double-team guy since the Terps like to pound it inside. The one thing I like about Greg on defense is that he has quick hands and I can see him being effective crashing down and stripping their big men, especially Osby, who is turnover-prone.

dukestheheat
01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I just want him to block out all that junk he's going to take from those students, and put his head down and GO! Block all of it right out.

Here's to Greg having one turnover for the game and hitting 15 points and getting 5 steals, and paving the way for Nolan to come in and just blow right by those guards to dunk or dish.

Let's go Duke!

dth.

dukestheheat
01-26-2008, 09:15 PM
mus074-

i read you correctly on maryland's offense, but remember that for the last couple years, particularly up there, they've been a real thorn in our side.

and, they did just beat the Holes, so they have something in the tank.

again, we're going to have to play very well to win this one game and we can do it!

dth.

jjasper0729
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
this was on one of the blogs at wral as well. dunno if it's been posted, but haven't seen it anywhere

99.9 The Fan blogger (http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/blogpost/2356685/)

dukestheheat
01-26-2008, 09:46 PM
this was on one of the blogs at wral as well. dunno if it's been posted, but haven't seen it anywhere

99.9 The Fan blogger (http://www.wral.com/sports/999thefan/blogpost/2356685/)

and i'm thinking that our win up at tech will have prepared us better for playing at a place like the comcast center; i'd much rather be playing than having to wait to play 8 days and maybe that will work against Maryland, at least initially.

dth.

allenmurray
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
I predict that the Maryland fans will shout vile things.

I predict that the Maryland fans will throw things at the Duke fans, Duke bench, and player's families.

I predict that Gary Williams will do nothing to try to get the crowd to stop this behavior, as he never has.

I predict that after the game, irrepsective of who wins, maryland students will start fires on Route 1, burn things, at least one person will be hurt, and property will be damaged.

I predict that the administration of the unviersity of maryland will do nothing about any of this as they have shown that having a winning basketball team is more important to them than the image their fans project.

Ever since the arrival of said Mr. Williams I have been quite embarassed to be a graduate of the university of maryland.

Go Duke!

IStillHateJimBain
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the Garyland scouting report.
If Bowie's free throw motion is worse than that of Virginia's Ryan Petinella, he must be the worst FT shooter in basketball history.
Petinella was shooting about 15 percent the last time I checked.

loran16
01-27-2008, 01:47 AM
I have no question, that for the last couple of years, since their championship team, that we have had the better team.

But when it's at Maryland, its always a toss up for a few reasons:

1. The team gets into it. See the carolina game, Sweat Gary Sweat always gets his team into these games to their maximum potential.
2. The fans are insane. And i dont mean Duke-UNC insane. When Duke beats maryland @Maryland, i always think they need a platoon of security guards to protect our players. They are violent, swearing, ugh. And its hard not to let that impact both teams.

I dont take anything for granted with them. We SHOULD win. It does not mean we will.

lilpaulus3
01-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for all the rundowns.

One things for sure, this is going to be an awesome game.

I saw the Maryland-UNC game, and the fact that they could almost completely shut down Hansbourough [they were best in the first half] was amazing. We'll definately need King, Paulus, Nelson, and Singlar with the three's.

Let's Go DUKE!!!

banneheim
01-27-2008, 10:13 AM
The only concern I have is keeping Gist and Osby off the O boards and keep Vasquez from penetrating, which I don't think Paulus can do. Do you all think Smith will get more PT or will Coach K put Nelson on Vasquez?

CDu
01-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Nice post as usual. I agree that I wouldn't want to see Paulus defending Vasquez, who I think should be Duke's primary focus in this game. I'm not sure I would put Paulus on Hayes, either, because I'd like to see Henderson/Scheyer spend most of the time on Maryland's best shooter and hopefully shut him down. With Nelson/Smith slated for duty on Vasquez (at least in the matchups in my head), I would suggest putting Paulus on Milbourne/Tucker, especially Milbourne who is shooting 38% from the field including 33% from behind the arc. Paulus can then be a designated double-team guy since the Terps like to pound it inside. The one thing I like about Greg on defense is that he has quick hands and I can see him being effective crashing down and stripping their big men, especially Osby, who is turnover-prone.

Yeah, Hayes is a good offensive player. But he's less of a threat off the dribble. Paulus can chase guys around fine. It's dribble penetration that has given him trouble. I think he'd be fine against Hayes. I wouldn't put him on Milbourne or Tucker because they are 6'6"/6'7" and athletic. Such a matchup would lend itself to those guys being a factor on the offensive glass with their athleticism and size advantage. Putting a designated double-team guy on them encourages the possibility of them disappearing along the baseline and finding easy tip-ins or catching passes for baseline drives to the rim.

There are pros and cons to putting Paulus on either Hayes or Milbourne/Tucker. I tend to think that keeping him on Hayes is the better matchup for Paulus. But, we'll see how it plays out.

devildeac
01-27-2008, 10:40 AM
The only concern I have is keeping Gist and Osby off the O boards and keep Vasquez from penetrating, which I don't think Paulus can do. Do you all think Smith will get more PT or will Coach K put Nelson on Vasquez?

I think we'll see Nelson or Smith on Vasquez to reduce dribble penetration and GP on Hayes. I would also worry that they may try to post-up our guards with the size mismatches. JS or GH on Milbourne/Tucker-less size mismatches there. Clemson killed us on the glass-do you think we can TO the twerps enough to negate what looks to be a weakness here for us? Very interesting that they lost SO much with Ibekwe/Jones/Straw from last year yet still appear to present real problems for us again this year.

Constantstrain 81
01-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Game starts - fever pitch

MD takes a 10-4 lead early - crowd is loud, Duke is tight, MD is pumped up.

Duke fights back as they find their stride, subs come and go, and the early adrenaline for MD wears off. MD 15-13

We settle into a battle for the rest of the half. MD's shooting falls off and Duke's depth plays a role late in the half. However, size and offensive rebounding still work for MD. 37-37 at the half.

Second Half begins - MD is pumped up again - despite a good halftime session with K, the Devils are knocked back and K has to call a time out down 48-41.

Duke claws back over the next seven minutes. MD has cut down the turnovers from the first half and they still pound the boards. They maintain a slight lead, so the crowd is still heavily in it. Only poise and focus allow Duke to slowly whittle away to tie 61-61 with 8 minutes to go.

Now comes the test. Everyone is tired, foul trouble, the 3 point shooting isn't falling - but still our poise and depth should be better than MD. We begin to grind out a lead. If we lose our nerve at any moment, we lose the game.

With 2 minutes to go, we lead 73-70. It becomes an agonizing free throw contest. Duke holds on to win, 79-76.

Keys -

Everyone contributes
Free throw shooting at 68% or better.
Some key 3 pointers at times, overall a low percentage (unfamiliar rims and an opposing team that is all very tall). If King hits even 2 or 3, that is big, if he doesn't hit any - that is trouble.

Nerve, nerve, nerve - we are going to be in a game. Don't expect a blowout. If we get a big lead, don't expect a blowout.

My thoughts

dukestheheat
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM

....so long as we 1) Keep Kyle Singler in the game and out of foul trouble so he can be competitive and 2) control the ball, hold turnovers way down, hit free throws and at least our average on the 2 ball and the 3 ball.

And I don't know if Vasquez will warrant more time with Nolan (maybe I'm mistaken) from a defensive standpoint, but Duke must work to wear down Maryland with intensive rotation and true ball pressure. Do that along with everything I mentioned in this post and we will win it. Duke looks good right now, though.

I bet a 50 stamp K has our team mentally prepared to go up there and play them. I am sure he's talked about the history of Duke/MD up there what with their crowd. This should be a great test for Duke and an exciting game. If they beat Carolina, they are totally worthy of respect and throw out their record as they've surely got something under the hood.

LET'S GO DUKE!

dth.

HumboldtDevil
01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Some random thoughts about tonight's game:

- Most seem to think that Maryland's seven-day break between games is an advantage, but I disagree. The Terps haven't been a good team this season. They've struggled mightily to find any consistency and having a week without a game following their best performance of the season isn't the way to improve. A team like Maryland would've been well served to get back on the court between these games. Sure, Maryland might be fresh, but the Terps need to find a groove.

- It is really important that Duke plays well early, especially on defense. Maryland has trouble with turnovers and has generally been inconsistent offensively. Like I mentioned, I think having seven days without a game is more of a negative than a positive for a Maryland team that is trying to improve and "find itself". They aren't suddenly going to be nails on offense. Still, if they are able to get easy baskets early and feed off the crowd then they might just stay hot.

- Maryand has done stuff like this before. I'm not talking about playing really well and beating Duke, but about Maryland teams that go from looking very average early in the ACC and out of conference to one of the hottest teams in the country. It happened last season and back in 2001. This team isn't nearly as talented and won't be as good as any of the legit good teams Maryland has had under Gary Williams, but they should continue to get better.

- Don't forget that nobody thought Maryland had a chance in hell last weekend. Maryland is different at home, but they were 11-7, 1-2 before beating Carolina. It isn't suddenly a world beater because it played a good 40 minutes against a team that was living on the edge and a tad overrated.

- Whereas I would've been annoyed with anything but a comfortable victory at VT the other night, I'll settle for any kind of win tonight. The Terps will be up for this one and the crowd will be crazy. They'll make some runs, blah, blah, blah. The key here is Duke. If Duke does what it has been doing then it'll win.

- McClure and/or Thomas need to play well. Singler will be fine as long as he doesn't get into foul trouble. If he doesn then David and Lance will just have to step up more.

- Can I see Maryland winning? Yeah, I guess. That's only because I know better than to just expect Duke to cruise at the Comcast Center by now. In reality Duke is way better than Maryland and just has to avoid being outtoughed or outhustled. Maryland will have to play better than it is to win, just like last weekend.

stals
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM

I'm sure those Dukies will console Miss Md when the Terps lose tonight!

stals
01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Duke 81-67

MikeS
01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Duke 83-71

Big game for Scheyer (25points)
Nelson 18
Henderson 14
Singler 11
Paulus 8

micah75
01-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Duke 81-67

No.

84-72

micah75
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Duke 83-71
Paulus 8

No.

Paulus= 14 points

heath_harshman4
01-27-2008, 05:35 PM

well, i was more afraid of James Mays and Trevor Booker in the post for Clemson and KC Rivers at point for clemson than I am now of Maryland's guys. Still I don't expect a blowout, but with how we have been playing against maryland the last few years I expect Coach K to get the guys pumped and a double digit win for Duke...I'll say 87-75. With Henderson gettin 22...I expect a big game from him.

devildeac
01-27-2008, 05:43 PM
md79-Duke71 with 5 Devils fouling out and md shooting 35-40 FT, just like 3-4years ago when we finished OT with JJ, Markie(I think) and 3 walk ons and STILL only lost by 7.

Bob Green
01-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Attempting to predict game scores is fun so I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Duke 76 - MD 71

However, trying to predict how many points the individual players will score is a bit over the top, IMHO.

dukegirlinsc
01-27-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm wayyyy anxious.
But in a GREAT way.

dukegirlinsc
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
md79-Duke71 with 5 Devils fouling out and md shooting 35-40 FT, just like 3-4years ago when we finished OT with JJ, Markie(I think) and 3 walk ons and STILL only lost by 7.

OUCH.

jimsumner
01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
"md79-Duke71 with 5 Devils fouling out and md shooting 35-40 FT"

And people will still claim that Duke got all the calls. :)

devildeac
01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
"md79-Duke71 with 5 Devils fouling out and md shooting 35-40 FT"

And people will still claim that Duke got all the calls. :)

I was just trying to lighten things up a bit but your comment is even funnier. LMAO.

Karl Beem
01-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Looks like we'll miss the first half, once again.:(

godukerocks
01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Gahhh.

The worst delay of a game was Gonzaga last year.

FreezingDevil
01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Looks like we'll miss the first half, once again.:(

At least the GT-UVA game is a good one. Singletary's shot to tie the game with 4 seconds was absolutely ridiculous.

watzone
01-27-2008, 06:50 PM
ridiculous in that he walked

watzone
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Maryland 13 -12

CameronBlue
01-27-2008, 06:51 PM
see above.....

Law Talking Guy
01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm not chatting, so maybe this has been discussed already: Why is Vasquez made up like Raggedy Andy (red dots under both eyes)?

loran16
01-27-2008, 07:40 PM
End First Half-Duke losing by 9.

A combination of poor shooting and Defense is killing us. Whereas clemson was similar in their skill at outrebounding us, our D is not forcing the same turnovers as in that game, and we can not afford to allow maryland above 40 points in a half.

CatfiveCane
01-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm sorry this guy is just not very helpful to Duke. Yes, he plays decent defense, but he's not a good rebounder and he has ZERO inclination to score.

That last play before half where Singler gets the offensive foul. It was McClure's man who took the charge. Where was McClure? He should have been waiting under the basket for the easy dish and nice dunk. Instead he's sliding towards the three point line? Why? Everyone knows he's never going to shoot it from there.

Just very frustrated here. Duke's lack of inside presence is really being shown here tonight.

duke211
01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Not to put down the team but we always get out played by Maryland. It always looks like Williams is one step ahead of coach. We need this win!

Mike Corey
01-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm sorry this guy is just not very helpful to Duke.

This is just a mean and inaccurate thing to say.

mus074
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Anyone see how/why K got T'd up? Couldn't tell what he said or did, but he was obviously unhappy with the officiating.

CatfiveCane
01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
This is just a mean and inaccurate thing to say.

Yeah it is a bit mean. You're right: you have to have some role players to be a successful team. But c'mon. McClure needs to step up his game. He floats behind the three point line.... so can't grab offensive rebounds. He never takes the open shot. It gets frustrating.

dukestheheat
01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
well, our shots just are not falling tonight; i think we're rattled.

hopefully, we can get the cranks out at the half and make this game competitive; right now, maryland is getting the rebounds/follow shots which i knew would happen, but i had counted on at least hitting our shots.

we're going to have to have some big stops and some emotional play going forward and we are truly in for a fight. i think K's T was much more to defibrillate Duke and much less his question of the play.

LET'S GO DUKE!

dth.

vango
01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I know this team is on a high, they're at home, confident, they get up for us big time (I always chuckle at the MD fans I know - they want to be our nemesis so bad - they don't get it so I stopped trying to explain), and I know they've had some inconsistent play and tons of turnovers (plus some bad shooting nights) but how they've lost some of the games they have against some of the opponents on their schedule - baffles me.

Maybe I just answered my question. I'm sure their fans are baffled too....

We're in a fight. We can pull it out but they're combating our strengths and depth isn't a big issue for them. Win or lose - great experience for our guys come March/April. Very interested in how we come out and fight in the second half.

dukegirlinsc
well i'm pretty stressed.

duke's gotta find something to do down in the post. not sure what the heck that could possibly be, but they're getting murdered down there. :confused:

feldspar
Anyone see how/why K got T'd up? Couldn't tell what he said or did, but he was obviously unhappy with the officiating.

My guess is he was upset with the lack of a basket interference call, because he was directing his "displeasure" with the official on the cross-side of the court, and not with the official under the basket, who would have been responsible for any foul call on the play.

dukegirlinsc
01-27-2008, 07:49 PM
however...if duke's shots start falling, maryland could be in trouble.
they need to get hot.
FAST.

CatfiveCane
01-27-2008, 07:50 PM

well i think it's because Gist pushed Scheyer to get the put back... not about goaltending.

DukeDevil
01-27-2008, 07:50 PM
These annoying announcers on FSN are really bugging me, from the local cable channel. They could only be more pro terps if they worse maryland T-Shirts.

yeesh.

House G
01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Gist and Osby have one foul between them at half--hard to believe.

dukelifer
01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Not to put down the team but we always get out played by Maryland. It always looks like Williams is one step ahead of coach. We need this win!
Always is not quite right. Recently perhaps. Williams is a good coach and his kids get up for big games and the game with Duke is the biggest. They are built to beat Duke. Duke right now is getting rattled- particularly at the end of the half. We will see if it continues. I think Duke is playing hard- but a lot of wide open shots are not dropping. Duke is getting killed on the boards- but there is no surprise there. As for getting outplayed- this was a 2 point game with 2 minutes left in the half and then the wheels fell off on a series of mistakes. That is getting rattled and not out played.

mus074
My guess is he was upset with the lack of a basket interference call, because he was directing his "displeasure" with the official on the cross-side of the court, and not with the official under the basket, who would have been responsible for any foul call on the play.

Was it because he was out of the box? Mouthing off? Called the ref a mother-flipper?

Delaware
The announcers of course got it wrong... they thought K was upset with Gist goal tending on the dunk, but it appeared to me he was complaining about the obvious push in the back on Scheyer by Gist on that play.

captmojo
01-27-2008, 07:54 PM
ridiculous in that he walked

A thread could be started to discuss if this is the worst year ever for ACC officiating. Singletary may as well tucked the ball under his arm and took off for the hoop like a halfback. Our game is full of makeup calls. Is the game going too fast for the refs to properly keep up? How much of the ball has to be out of the cylinder to pass for not being interference? I thought it was all of it.

Maybe the game is too fast for me? At least Coach thought the same as I did about interference, or lack thereof.

The big question for this outcome will be if the guys in white can keep up their torrid field goal percentage. Get tough Devils!

Law Talking Guy
01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
These annoying announcers on FSN are really bugging me, from the local cable channel. They could only be more pro terps if they worse maryland T-Shirts.

yeesh.

If you're talking about Chick Hernandez and whoever Comcast has on location in College Park, I agree. As for the courtside team, Brando gets behind whoever is playing well that nanosecond (and, IMHO, is mostly harmless) and Mike Gminski--despite that #43 hanging in Cameron--comes across as fairly impartial considering.

feldspar
01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Was it because he was out of the box? Mouthing off? Called the ref a mother-flipper?

Prolly some sort of combo of the three.

feldspar
01-27-2008, 07:59 PM
A thread could be started to discuss if this is the worst year ever for ACC officiating. Singletary may as well tucked the ball under his arm and took off for the hoop like a halfback.

The play was legal. Singletary took two steps on the play and released the ball a split second before his pivot foot hit the ground.

MikeS
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Nelson really needs to complete this 3 point play.

redick4pres
01-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Did anyone else see that cheap shot in the lower back of Singler by Vasguez a couple mins ago after a Maryland foul? There was not reaction from Kyle, but you could see him punch him in the back pretty clearly!

Troublemaker
01-27-2008, 08:18 PM
I believe Singlers 4th foul just caused the snrub chat to blow up.

note: whoops, it's back.

CatchTheFox
01-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Question: how obnoxious are those psychedelic spinning things the MD fans hold up for our free throws?! I'm surprised those are legal... I mean, why don't they just bring strobe lights while they're at it? I've never noticed those before.

A-Tex Devil
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Good second half thus far. Crossing fingers.

I really don't enjoy watchng Vasquez. On the flip side, I really like Osby. Too bad he's a Twerp.

CatfiveCane
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
win or lose: Demarcus Nelson is the man!

Cali-Duke
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
I saw it happen. It wasn't that bad. He didn't pull his arm back or anything.

mus074
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Demarcus Nelson is the man!

Our combo of Hendo and Demarcus is the best combo of athletic slashers/scores I can remember Duke sporting at the same time in a long while.

DukeDevil
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Did you see Thomas (I think) try to help the maryland guy up and the other guy pushed his hand aside? Maybe that's why people don't help each other up anymore...

kramerbr
01-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Henderson has put the team on his back and kept us in the game so far.

fisheyes
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Anyone notice how quiet it is at Maryland? Since when did they join the wine and cheese crowd?

mus074
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
So far, 19 points (not including FTs) coming from 12 shots from the field. An eFG of .792. The awakening?

kramerbr
01-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Has Duke taken a charge yet in this game?

CatchTheFox
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
wow. How good is Nolan Smith? Huge.

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Nolan´s on fire!!! The kid can play!!!! Sorry bout theDickie V relapse there....

bloodevil
01-27-2008, 08:37 PM
WoooHOOO ! ! ! Here comes the slowdown! Hell Yesssss!!!!!

kramerbr
01-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Anyone see what happened to Nolan? He looked like he was in a lot of pain.

banneheim
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Did anyone see what happened to Nolan? Also, not to stir up the pot but when does Coach K start Smith?

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Nelson just grabbed a key board and put-back score...clutch!!!!!!!!

DukieInBrasil
01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
And LT coolly buries a pair of FTs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banneheim
01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Nelson's hustle when he beat out Hayes for a loose ball just exemplies what this team is about! I love it....

vb5678
01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Did anyone get a really weird flashback just a moment ago when there was a timeout w/ 54 seconds left? The Maryland band started playing Take on Me, and I just got a flashback to the gone in 54 seconds game against Maryland in 2001. Anyone else reminded of that right there? The moment just seemed eerily similar, except that we were up at that point.

Karl Beem
01-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Nananana, Nananana, Nananana

freedevil
01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I absolutely love when Duke beats Maryland.

WHO DOES GARY WILLIAMS YELL AT? WHO?

Go Duke!

CatfiveCane
01-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm impressed. What a totally different second half. Duke attacked. Played pressure defense. Denied the entry pass.

Demarcus Nelson took his game to another level.
We see the emergence of Nolan Smith
Lance Thomas with some quality PT

Now if King can just play better defense!

Indoor66
01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I said it the other day, Thomas has had a light bulb experience. He gets it!