PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Hedge

aav2aav2
03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
I have a question for all of you.

Duke is currently favored by 7 against VCU.

Is it bad karma to bet against Duke? Let's say I bet $200 for VCU +7.

If VCU wins, at least I win $200. If Duke wins by less than 7, best of both worlds. If we win by more than 7, I am still happy, but lose $200.

My wife (also a Duke grad) is standing behind me and yelling "If you bet against Duke, divorce."

Just curious what everyone's feelings on this subject are.

-jk
03-12-2007, 11:56 PM
I have a question for all of you.

Duke is currently favored by 7 against VCU.

Is it bad karma to bet against Duke? Let's say I bet $200 for VCU +7.

If VCU wins, at least I win $200. If Duke wins by less than 7, best of both worlds. If we win by more than 7, I am still happy, but lose $200.

My wife (also a Duke grad) is standing behind me and yelling "If you bet against Duke, divorce."

Just curious what everyone's feelings on this subject are.

I never bet against Duke. Period. I just can't do it.

I lose a lot of pools, too.

-jk

Exiled_Devil
03-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Your up $200, but you are single. I'd think on that for a while.

Kidding aside, I would also say never bet against Duke. Not for sane betting reasons, but for emotional reasons. Just don't bet. Wouldn't it be annoying to win by 6 and lose the money? Wouldn't that irritate you?

Exiled

adam
03-13-2007, 12:27 AM
I pick Duke to win it all every year in the office bracket pools. I know they aren't going to, but I can't bet against them. I'd rather lose my money than bet against my team. Go Duke!!

Cicero
03-13-2007, 12:33 AM
One of my friends bought a ticket to this year's UNC game, and then put money on UNC to hedge his bets. I believe his logic was that he would be willing to pay twice what his seat cost if we won, but wanted to break even if we lost. It's an interesting theory, though I'm not sure I could bet against the Blue Devils, myself...

M. Tullius

Kewlswim
03-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi,

Never bet against Duke, that is BAD karma. Tell your wife I know some good divorce attorneys. Once they hear that you bet against Duke, they are Dukies, they will take everything, you will be lucky to walk out of this divorce with the clothes on your back. I feel bad for your wife. A nice, sweet, honest, caring, loving Dukie and what does she get her troubles a man who bets against the Devils. OUCH. :mad:

GO DUKE!

BluBones
03-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Is your wife cute? What's her number? What sort of things does she like to do when she goes out? It's important you tell us these things. She may be dating soon.

patentgeek
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Your total focus as a Duke fan to is do whatever needs to be done for victory - wear a lucky shirt, sit in your winning chair, improve the feng shui of your home by placing water in the southeast corner of your residence (this has helped on multiple occasions), etc. Your mind can't be cluttered with extraneous distractions like bets. If you place the bet you propose, I will strongly encourage your poor wife to seek other, more like-minded and morally grounded companionship.

Virginian
03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
I've heard of people who will enter a pool twice -- once betting their teams to go all the way and once betting what they think the more likely outcome will be.

I generally don't bet on sports, entering an occasional office pool just to be part of the gang. But when I do bet, I never bet against Duke.

trinitydevil
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
I wish I could get rid of my wife that easy. I'd bet every darn day. When's the next flight to Vegas? She'd aggrevate the horns off a brass billy goat. If we truly want to settle the debateable topics on this board, decide who needs more pt and who needs less pt, when to play zone, etc., we can ask her to join.

I am taking one for you guys and not letting her join though.

Fish80
03-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Are you nuts? You CAN NOT bet against Duke. Very bad Karma. Seriously bad things will happen.

1) You will lose your money
2) You will lose your wife
3) You will lose your mojo

What are you thinking? You had better give the $200 to a worthy charity and then go cleanse yourself in the river for even contemplating such debauchery!

CMS2478
03-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes, indeed donate to a worthy charity. I happen to know of a good one. It is called the CMS2478 fund. If you want further information email me and I can give you the address where you need to send the check. :D

elvis14
03-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Listen to the "Wisdom of the board", if you bet against Duke and you are a Duke fan you will bring bad magic to all that surrounds you. I may get jinxed just for replying to this! Your wife sounds smarter than you....chances are you should keep her around. Bet on our boys or keep your money because they are going to cover that spread!

imagepro
03-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I know your wife. You married WAAAAYYYYY up son. Trust me, you had better stop complaining!!!!! If you don't like how she aggrevates you, can I take her to Vegas? You'd never know anyway, cause "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"... Tell her I asked you, ok??

Oh yea, don't forget to bring that checkbook. You know what I'm talking about
"Tiger".......

killerleft
03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
And all self-respect.