PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Virginia Tech

Jumbo
01-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Virginia Tech?

heath_harshman4
01-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Kyle "NO BLOOD BUT ICE IN THE VEINS" Singler... He almost single-handedly built up our lead for sure early in the 2nd half...great game.

redick4pres
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Kyle "NO BLOOD BUT ICE IN THE VEINS" Singler... He almost single-handedly built up our lead for sure early in the 2nd half...great game.

Yeah, I agree that he single-handedly kept us going early there in the 2nd when it looked like VT might make a run at us again. He continues to impress me game after game.

weezie
01-24-2008, 09:36 PM
But Dmarkie kept the tempo under control. He showed some great poise, regardless of Karl's interventions.

mgtr
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I voted for Singler, but a lot of guys played very well. For the first time since he became a Dukie, I was impressed with the play of Thomas. A tough guy. I really didn't see a single Duke player who didn't play well.

Jumbo
01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Singler is a fine choice -- you won't get an argument from me. But I went with Lance Thomas. I thought he stabilized the action on a number of occasions and his stat line was quite good.

heath_harshman4
01-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Singler is a fine choice -- you won't get an argument from me. But I went with Lance Thomas. I thought he stabilized the action on a number of occasions and his stat line was quite good.

very very true...he did something i havent seen him due in...well...ever. he went and got some tough rebounds. and thats what we need more of out of him.

Duvall
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Definitely a team effort, but Singler's fine second half deserves recognition. Nothing wrong with 16 points and 9 boards.

Notably, in a game with 49 fouls, Singler ended with up only 3, one of which was a joke.

ETA: I still think Deron Washington deserves consideration for his decision to ignore the basketball game for a dramatic performance.

Karl Beem
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
The team.

4decadedukie
01-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Singler -- and he's only half through his FRESHMAN season!

watzone
01-24-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree with everybody;) I picked Singler at my site, but the team (LT included) is a good one. Then there is Nelson whose numbers across the board are really good ... and then there is his defense which locked Vassalo up in the second half.

Indoor66
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I voted for Greg. I agree it was a team effort. Having to choose 1, I felt Greg controlled the game. He made all his teammates better.

heath_harshman4
01-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I voted for Greg. I agree it was a team effort. Having to choose 1, I felt Greg controlled the game. He made all his teammates better.

3 assists, no turnovers

devildeac
01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Kyle. Not much of a 1st half but a fine 2nd half to finish with 16/9 and not fouling out. got us out to a nice lead early after a brief sluggish start in the 2nd half. 9 guys scored!!! and 8 played 10+ minutes. another solid TEAM effort(except FT:( )

Madrasdukie
01-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Kyle was an easy choice but like most have already noted it's hard to find anyone who didn't play well.

DeMarcus: That "rock" analogy makes more and more sense.

Paulus: Had a steadying influence. Tough luck on missing the 4-point play.

Henderson: While this wasn't his best offensive game (free throws included) he still finds ways to contribute. His driving ability and rebounding ability clearly were critical.

Lance: He definetly seems like he's emerging. I love the way he reacts in huddles even when Duke hasn't gotten the call.

Nolan: His speed and quickness is marvellous to watch and undoubtedly helped us in that regard. I particularly liked the way he attacked the rim three times in close intervals, adjusting his move each time and being undeterred by the initial block of his shot. Tough.

Jon: Smart as always.

Taylor: What a way to give Duke back the momentum at the end of the half.

McClure: Solid moves to score.

dukelifer
01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
It was a team effort tonight- but Singler broke it open in the second half hitting shots inside and out and had the best assist of the night- with the behind the back dish. Singler is becoming very consistent and does love to take the big shot- he will start to hit those early open jumpers- and when he does- watch out.

pamtar
01-25-2008, 09:35 AM

I agree. Plus he had to deal with the taunting the whole game. (I do have to hand it to the VT fans. "Teabag Paulus" was pretty damn clever.) Instead of letting it get to him he kept his head in the game and provided great leadership. Also, if he gets that four point play he's in double digits.

captmojo
01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Kyle, for his successful performance when the team needed it most.

DeMarcus, for fine leadership through a very physical contest.

Anyone who was being guarded by the thug, Deron Washington.

OldPhiKap
01-25-2008, 11:50 AM
This game was about toughness and leadership.

Kyle may have hit the big shots (and I'm sure glad he did), but to me this game was about Nelson's leadership. I think in many ways, this game will go a long way towards getting our team ready for March.

Jumbo
01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
3 assists, no turnovers

A/TO ratio is a bit of a red herring for Paulus this year. Why? Because he's not functioning as a true point guard. Greg brings the ball up, but then he's not asked to make plays. Essentially, he passes to the wing and then moves into a position to spot-up shoot. He's not creating in the lane and not even handling the ball that much. So, his turnovers should be low.

I can't fathom choosing Paulus as the MOTM. He shot 3-for-9 and didn't exactly play great defense. He wasn't bad by any means, but other guys played a lot better.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I opened this thread intending to vote for either Nelson or Lance, but captmojo made a point that swayed me. Kyle struggled (a LOT) early, came on late, and, as always, his numbers reveal a better game than I noticed as I watched (he's the anti-McRoberts in this respect). What swayed me, however, is the fact that Kyle was matched up with Washington for a lot of the night. Given that he took the brunt of the dirty play, defended against the second coming of Vlade Divac, and rarely lost his cool makes his game all the more impressive for me.

socaldukie
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Overall a good team effort. Great focus and poise on the road. For that reason my vote would be for K. Since he is not listed I think LT or Singler proved to be the biggest difference makers. I choose Singler.

SilkyJ
01-25-2008, 01:05 PM

I voted singler, but liked Lance's play as well. Tough D, good rebounding, had a couple steals. Don't know if I'd call his stat line "quite good" but I'd definitely say it was quite good FOR HIM.

A/TO ratio is a bit of a red herring for Paulus this year. Why? Because he's not functioning as a true point guard. Greg brings the ball up, but then he's not asked to make plays. Essentially, he passes to the wing and then moves into a position to spot-up shoot. He's not creating in the lane and not even handling the ball that much. So, his turnovers should be low.

I've brought this up before myself, but I think its a two way street: yes his TOs are lower, but so are his assists since he isn't penetrating/creating as many plays, b/c as you said, he's basically becoming a spot-up shooter. So individually I think those numbers (assists and TOs) are a red herring, but I think the RATIO is a significant stat.