PDA

View Full Version : Baylor-Texas A&M...

DukeFencer
01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
According to my computer, just started FOURTH overtime! HOW are they not kicking something off TV to show this! There is NOTHING else on!

DangerDevil
01-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Start of the 5th OT

Bob Green
01-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Baylor wins in 5th OT 116-110. Texas A&M has now dropped three straight games and is headed straight out of the Top 25.

oso diablo
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I went to Baylor undergrad (the oso part of my screen name). This is the best team we've had in a long, long time. No great superstars, but just one of those solid teams that plays hard, with a good mix of veterans and youngsters. An up & coming young coach in Scott Drew (son of the former Valpo coach, and Bryce's brother).

Of course, it's extra sweet coming in the wake of our infamous troubles from 5 years ago with Dave Bliss.

A few years ago, on a Baylor board, i suggested that my alma mater follow the "Duke model" by concentrating on basketball first, both men and women, rather than trying to attack head-on, from a standing start, the Big 12 behemoths in football. Become noted in men's hoops, then perhaps football would follow. I was promptly ridiculed for "not understanding the culture of Texas", despite the fact that i grew up there. Perhaps the disconnect was my belief that the Duke model eventually would include football success.

allenmurray
01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Become noted in men's hoops, then perhaps football would follow. I was promptly ridiculed for "not understanding the culture of Texas", despite the fact that i grew up there.

Or as my brother, who lives in Texas, has pointed out, basketball doesn't just follow football in popularity, it comes in third. Football first, Spring football practice second, basketball third.

hc5duke
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Or as my brother, who lives in Texas, has pointed out, basketball doesn't just follow football in popularity, it comes in third. Football first, Spring football practice second, basketball third.

I've heard that a little different - the saying usually goes [insert sport] comes in fourth behind pro football, college football, then high school football.

weezie
01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Kudos to Baylor. A truly fine rise from the ashes. Good for them.