PDA

View Full Version : Davidson

wilson
01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
I went to the Western Carolina-Davidson game the other night and left with a few interesting impressions:

1. Stephen Curry is the real deal, but his body language, I thought, left a bit to be desired. He appeared to "check out" at times, and it was clear that he knew he was the best player on the court the whole night (no shame in that knowledge itself). He didn't always hustle as hard as he could have though, and some of his gestures, facial expressions, etc. struck me as a bit prima donna-ish. That said, he did ho-hum his way to 29 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists. His offensive game is very good, but as for the analysts, etc. who keep wondering how he "tumbled" all the way to Davidson, I think the answer is pretty clear: size. He is tiny, even among SoCon players. No way he could do what he now does in the NBA next year, and I fear he'll never be able to bulk up enough to do so without compromising his strongest assets. I do think he's got a nice career awaiting him in Europe (which can pay pretty darn well itself) if he wants it.

2. The WCU pep band (which is really bad) did the "boink, boink, pass" cheer for fully 10 minutes of the second half. It was kind of weird and definitely ineffectual.

3. Some kid won $10 grand at halftime in one of those "layup, free throw, 3-pointer, and half-court shot in 25 seconds" deals. He just nailed the half-courter. It was impressive.