PDA

View Full Version : Kville from the front-lines

Jessica5
01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
In case any of you are curious about the goings on in "the ville" this season, check out the blog written by tent one and company!

Tent 1 Blog (http://web.mac.com/andersc/Tent_Blog/Welcome.html)
The blog page is updated periodically with some of the entertaining stories and pictures from this year's line-of-all-lines.

dukemomLA
01-23-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm a Dukemom (obviously) whose daughter and now son-in-law graduated in 2001. They had (probably) the BEST run of Duke wins in history (in the class with Shane). So, it's exciting to me that (IMO after a couple of years of sub-par students -- in the Crazie sense) TRUE Cameron Crazies seem to be back.

Have a GREAT time tenting. It's something you will carry with you throughout your life. Post some more. Welcome aboard. Another experience you will carry forever is your lurking and posting on DBR.

Lord Ash
01-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Sweet! As a former Tent #1 guy (the Gaudet season; wowzers!) it is fun to see others enjoying it as much as we did!

MulletMan
01-23-2008, 09:23 AM
So, it's exciting to me that (IMO after a couple of years of sub-par students -- in the Crazie sense) TRUE Cameron Crazies seem to be back.

You know what? I'm sure this is just because I haven't had my morning coffee, but as someone who was particullarly involved in Cameron during the time frame that you're speaking of, I'm kind of offended by this comment. While I know that things are never as good as they were 5 years ago, the Crazies over the last 7 -8 years have been pretty damn good. This year's crop is great too, but its not like they've re-invented the dang wheel or anything. Sheesh.

(Love to the 'Ville and thanks for the Tent 1 blog!)

DukeDevil
01-23-2008, 11:36 AM
we tented in the great blizzard of 99/2000. For 6 weeks. I still remember sleeping on a block of ice the first night and actually becoming hypothermic the next morning. We had to sit in hot showers for nearly 40 minutes to bring our body temperatures back up. My buddy's grandfather's circa WWII -40 rated down sleeping backs got us through the rest of that tenting season.

Wow...I'm a grumpy alum already? Damn.

And we walked a mile uphill both ways through the snow to get our free pizza!

SilkyJ
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
You know what? I'm sure this is just because I haven't had my morning coffee, but as someone who was particullarly involved in Cameron during the time frame that you're speaking of, I'm kind of offended by this comment. While I know that things are never as good as they were 5 years ago, the Crazies over the last 7 -8 years have been pretty damn good. This year's crop is great too, but its not like they've re-invented the dang wheel or anything. Sheesh.

(Love to the 'Ville and thanks for the Tent 1 blog!)

Yea word to that. I was a Crazie from 02-06 and can take offense as well. Mulletman and Viking guy did a great job over in the Grad section. I loved the busting out of the Whiteboard to coordinate chants more effectivley. They even led/taught the rest of us the Rock Chalk Jayhawk for Roy's 1st game in Cameron.

But then again consider the source, Mulletman. She's probably never been to Cameron and certainly not since her daughter went there so probably has no frame of reference.

"were you listening to The Dude's story, Donny"

we tented in the great blizzard of 99/2000. For 6 weeks. I still remember sleeping on a block of ice the first night and actually becoming hypothermic the next morning. We had to sit in hot showers for nearly 40 minutes to bring our body temperatures back up. My buddy's grandfather's circa WWII -40 rated down sleeping backs got us through the rest of that tenting season.

Wow...I'm a grumpy alum already? Damn.

Ok, are you sure you're not me? In the '02/03 season we had snow on the ground for 30+ out of 60 days that we were tenting and I also used my grandfathers' WWII -40 rated sleeping bags! I actually still have both of them. Didn't have to walk that far for our pizza though...

MulletMan
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Barefoot, yo. Barefoot.
:cool:

Mike Corey
01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
As a Crazy from '01 to '05, I'll not only attest that MulletMan was one of many phenomenal leaders of the grad student section, but that the undergrads weren't too shabby, either.

We also had the greatest Head Line Monitor in the history of the universe...some kid named Donald Wine. Some of you may have heard of him.

Glad you're enjoying the tenting experience, Jessica5. Stay warm.

blazindw
01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Georgia Tech game. January 2002. Someone on our team gets a flagrant foul of some sort. The Ga. Tech player misses the first free throw. The place goes bonkers. Coach K, over the din, yells something at the player (I was right across from K and heard every word...it is not message-board safe). Coach K gets a technical, he flips out and then motions for Cameron to get on its feet. As that player missed the other free throws, Cameron was by far at the loudest point it ever was in my 4 years there. I even remember stopping yelling at one point and just looking around, soaking it all in, and knew that moment would forever live as one of the greatest moments that I was ever a part of.

The goosebumps are still there from that day. 4 free throw attempts, 0 points, a helluva moment.

blazindw
01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
As a Crazy from '01 to '05, I'll not only attest that MulletMan was one of many phenomenal leaders of the grad student section, but that the undergrads weren't too shabby, either.

We also had the greatest Head Line Monitor in the history of the universe...some kid named Donald Wine. Some of you may have heard of him.

Glad you're enjoying the tenting experience, Jessica5. Stay warm.

I appreciate it Mike :)

365Duke
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
referring to the time where the "we are hungry" chant started. I do not remember all the specifics, but I think K called out the crazies and some of them were left out of the next game, replaced by more crazies.

Of course, the funniest thing about that time was the the first game after the calling out. The dude who was at front and center of every home game that wore the blue cowboy hat (that he admitted he bought at a gas station to Mathew Laurance on the radio) promptly came marching into Cameron, during a TV time out, and slammed 4 large pizza's on the media table in front of the crazies. They had been chanting "we are hungry" the whole game so far. Then he stormed back out the way he came in. Funny:D

DukeDevil
01-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I was at the front of the line and had finished painting myself (took like an horu and a half...it's hard to paint complicated patterns on yourself in the mirror - I'd also like to point out that I believe I was the first crazie to use the blue and white version of the darth maul facepaint as the movie had just come out the summer before) and J-Will's mom came up to me and asked me to paint "K.I.S.S." on her cheek. My finest moment in face painting history. Ever.

The other cool thing from that day was, seeing in a book called "Coach K's little blue book" was my photo along with a few friends in a section about cameron crazies. Sweet. I didn't even remember having my picture taken.

*sniff* now I have to wait outside cameron to try and get tickets for under 100 bucks if I'm lucky, as that's all I can afford. *cue sad violin*

BlueDevilJay
01-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I have nothing relevant to add to this thread other than I enjoy reading the stories from KVille, since alas my dream of going to Duke on a basketball scholarship died back in 92 (my high school years) due to my lack of skills :) Hence I ended up attending App State, but I am envious of those of you who are actually alum. Things haven't been too bad up at the Rock for us Appies the past 3 years in football at least, but I'll always wish I were a Duke alum deep down. Keep the stories coming though, I enjoy reading them.

blueprofessor
01-23-2008, 05:10 PM
:) And that beautiful daughter has Blue Devil written all over her.I think you will win that debate with your wife!Heh,heh.:D
Best regards--Professor of ethics

DukePA
01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
IMO, there is nothing in the world that can compare to being a Cameron Crazy. My parents have had season tickets for 41 years and I have been to lots and lots of games over the years, but had to wait until I was 45 years old to be Duke Student. I was in PA school and participated in the Grad school campouts and camped out for the carowhine-a games both years. I'm sure I often looked like a total idiot to some, but I just didn't care. I wear a Duke Basketball lapel pin on my white coat at work and love telling my patients that I painted my face and camped out. I will treasure the time forever and ever.

The Crazies have rocked, continue to rock, and will always rock!!! GO DUKE!! GTHC

dukegirlinsc
01-24-2008, 10:33 AM
The goosebumps are still there from that day. 4 free throw attempts, 0 points, a helluva moment.

I got chills just reading. :)

mbd1mbd1
01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Georgia Tech game. January 2002.

Come on Donald - the 4 missed free throws by Cota and Haywood at the end of the 77-75 comeback game in '98 were the most awesome missed FT's ever.

blazindw
01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Come on Donald - the 4 missed free throws by Cota and Haywood at the end of the 77-75 comeback game in '98 were the most awesome missed FT's ever.

That was also a great game...but I was referring to the greatest moment in Cameron while I was there. The Cota/Haywood choke job was a couple years before my time, although I was definitely yelling from home on that one.

blueprofessor
01-24-2008, 01:58 PM

:D Ah,memories!Thanks for the posts.The 2-28-1998 UNC game featured a 17 point deficit with 11:33 to play.McLeod(23 points) and Wojo(11 assists with 1 point) were outstanding. Brand was huge off the bench with 16 points.Trajan added17.We were outrebounded 40 to 24 and our foul shooting was subpar(15/25).Our 3point shooting was bad(.273).Duke played 10 players(of whom 2 became NPOY and 2 NDPOY, as well as 5 who became AA),while UNC played 7( 5 played 33 minutes or more) ,including Carter,Jamison,Williams,Cota, Okulaja,and Haywood.
Duke's intense pressure defense was critical: the Devils held the Heels to 2 field goals in the last 11 minutes.One of the 2 loudest games at CIS and probably the hottest I can recall.
:D The other loudest game at CIS I remember is the 12-5-92 Michigan game.The lower stands were filled 40 mins before the game and the upper about 15 mins.There was a tremendous amount of trash talking by some of the Fab Five.We won 79-68.It was special for my Duke freshman daughter--her first game at Cameron.Liked it so much she and her husband named their first child 'Cameron."
Best regards--Professor of ethics

kidslow
01-29-2008, 02:26 AM
I'm inspired to register and share a few of my own reminiscences. These are highly symbolic of the type of kid I was at school, and probably how I still am as an adult. All in good fun. To my recollection, I did tent once, in 1989 as a Freshman for the Carolina game. While that was memorable in and of itself, not quite as much as these other two anecdotes.

Reading through the comments about camping on snow and ice brought to mind my favorite line experience. It was the Kansas game (2/18/1989), and in my mind I recall Danny Manning on the Kansas team, but my archeology suggests he was one-year removed after destroying Duke in the FF in 1988. It was Ferry's and Abdelnaby's senior year. There was a decent amount of fresh snow on the ground, and this game was all line and no tents. Think we started somewhere around the bend in the sidewalk (near tennis courts). One thing led to another and snowballs found themselves launched from my section of the line towards the front. I doubt the original intent was anything more than the boyish joy of launching snowballs. It's possible I instigated it, though unlikely, however almost certain that I participated. The effect was to clear out large swaths of space in front of us, such that the line collapsed forward ... which only went to inspire a further fusillade of snowballs. Needless to say, we moved up considerably through this gambit. I am likely to always look back on how much fun that game was.

By my senior year in 1992 I wasn't so interested in waiting in a tent for the Carolina game, but I sure was interested in going. By that point in my college career I had gathered a bevy of anecdotes about how to sneak into Cameron. I discovered a route earlier in the season almost by accident. So I concocted a somewhat elaborate plan to break into Cameron around the time students were allowed entrance. It involved someone on the inside opening a door, and we even went so far as clock synchronization. We pushed forward with the plan on schedule, but were quickly caught and rousted from just inside of the "secret entrance". A backup plan was quickly hatched, and with the help of another insider we were able to sneak up into the ticketed section of the stadium and drop down into the student section as it was filling up. I'm pretty sure that just two of us actually followed through all the way. My apologies in advance to anyone who is outraged by the thought of a student sneaking into Cameron. I'd guess it still happens to this day, probably even through some of the same schemes & routes.

III
01-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Just wanted to mention that the four of us (three from tent 1, me from tent 2), survived our excursion to College Park for a glorious Duke victory. Look to see a detailed account of our adventure in the coming days. It was truly an experience of a lifetime, though I think once is enough for me and the Comcast center.

DukePA
01-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Just wanted to mention that the four of us (three from tent 1, me from tent 2), survived our excursion to College Park for a glorious Duke victory. Look to see a detailed account of our adventure in the coming days. It was truly an experience of a lifetime, though I think once is enough for me and the Comcast center.

We look forward to reading the account of your excursion. Glad you guys made it back safely!

Happy tenting!

blazindw
01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm inspired to register and share a few of my own reminiscences. These are highly symbolic of the type of kid I was at school, and probably how I still am as an adult. All in good fun. To my recollection, I did tent once, in 1989 as a Freshman for the Carolina game. While that was memorable in and of itself, not quite as much as these other two anecdotes.

Reading through the comments about camping on snow and ice brought to mind my favorite line experience. It was the Kansas game (2/18/1989), and in my mind I recall Danny Manning on the Kansas team, but my archeology suggests he was one-year removed after destroying Duke in the FF in 1988. It was Ferry's and Abdelnaby's senior year. There was a decent amount of fresh snow on the ground, and this game was all line and no tents. Think we started somewhere around the bend in the sidewalk (near tennis courts). One thing led to another and snowballs found themselves launched from my section of the line towards the front. I doubt the original intent was anything more than the boyish joy of launching snowballs. It's possible I instigated it, though unlikely, however almost certain that I participated. The effect was to clear out large swaths of space in front of us, such that the line collapsed forward ... which only went to inspire a further fusillade of snowballs. Needless to say, we moved up considerably through this gambit. I am likely to always look back on how much fun that game was.

By my senior year in 1992 I wasn't so interested in waiting in a tent for the Carolina game, but I sure was interested in going. By that point in my college career I had gathered a bevy of anecdotes about how to sneak into Cameron. I discovered a route earlier in the season almost by accident. So I concocted a somewhat elaborate plan to break into Cameron around the time students were allowed entrance. It involved someone on the inside opening a door, and we even went so far as clock synchronization. We pushed forward with the plan on schedule, but were quickly caught and rousted from just inside of the "secret entrance". A backup plan was quickly hatched, and with the help of another insider we were able to sneak up into the ticketed section of the stadium and drop down into the student section as it was filling up. I'm pretty sure that just two of us actually followed through all the way. My apologies in advance to anyone who is outraged by the thought of a student sneaking into Cameron. I'd guess it still happens to this day, probably even through some of the same schemes & routes.

You'd be surprised where I've found some students before Duke-UNC games in Cameron when we're doing the security sweep of the building. The creativity of our student body doesn't just end at being a Crazie.

That said, DON'T SNEAK INTO CAMERON! :)

Magnolia888
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Reading through the comments about camping on snow and ice brought to mind my favorite line experience. It was the Kansas game (2/18/1989), and in my mind I recall Danny Manning on the Kansas team, but my archeology suggests he was one-year removed after destroying Duke in the FF in 1988. It was Ferry's and Abdelnaby's senior year.

I remember that game well. And the snowballs!

Just FYI: It was Ferry's senior year, but not Alaa's. Danny was class of 89, and Alaa was 90. (Sigh - I wish I wasn't so old as to know this.)

BlueDevilJay
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Just FYI: It was Ferry's senior year, but not Alaa's. Danny was class of 89, and Alaa was 90. (Sigh - I wish I wasn't so old as to know this.)

Yeah Ferry graduated with Quin Snyder and John Smith right? I seem to recall their final home game vs NCSU and someone had made cardboard "jerseys" with their numbers on them and had them on the sideline.

Alaa graduated with Phil Henderson right? I think I was 13 at the time, but I recall some of those things pretty vividly (Especially when I was by myself with Phil in Cameron during camp and tried profusely to talk him out of transferring out of Duke. To this day I still think Im the reason he stayed :) )

Magnolia888
01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah Ferry graduated with Quin Snyder and John Smith right? Alaa graduated with Phil Henderson right?

Yes and yes. Alaa was in the class of 90 with Phil Henderson and Robert Brickey.

BlueDevilJay
01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes and yes. Alaa was in the class of 90 with Phil Henderson and Robert Brickey.

Yeah I remember talking to Brickey that year at camp as well, talked quite a bit about his knee injury that season. Glad my memory is still serving me at least somewhat :)

KBCrazie
01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Alaa graduated with Phil Henderson right?

They were both members of the class of '90, but they definitely didn't graduate together. Alaa took a little while to get his Duke-issued sheepskin and I'm not entirely certain that Phil ever did. I know K kept the 1990 final four banner out of Cameron for a while because all the seniors didn't graduate.

Magnolia888
01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I should have clarified that I wasn't sure about the "graduated" part, only that Alaa, Phil and Robert were part of the same freshman class.

I do know that Quin Snyder graduated though, and iirc, it was with a double major. We applied to law schools the same year, and every law school I visited seem to have a rumor that Quin would be coming next year. (Of course he ended up at Duke, which I never doubted.)

BlueDevilJay
01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
My fault for taking this thread off topic and not clarifying what I meant. I shouldn't have used the term "Graduated" but rather referred to them being in the same class. Now back to the regularly scheduled postings from KVille :)

Jessica5
01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Check out the blog for the newest entry on our epic trip to Maryland!

More soon!

shadowfax336
01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/content.asp?tid=159

throatybeard
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Phil Henderson graduated in 2000.

Clipsfan
01-30-2008, 03:00 PM

It's good to see that our guys do seem to enjoy hanging out together, and Scheyer doesn't seem to be afraid to step in front of the camera. That monster tent seems like a steal for $130...

juise
01-30-2008, 03:04 PM

I MISS IT!

BlueDevilJay
01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
That video was freakin cool. I really like that they make those, so you can kinda get to know the players a little bit off the court as well. Hope they keep them coming.

calltheobvious
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Well, to be fair, both of the back-ends you reference were missed intentionally.

Two other great FT misses of the last fifteen years belong to Serge Zwikker, whose two clunkers allowed Capel's bomb three seconds later to actually matter (though the memory would be less painful if Serge could have knocked one down, or Capel could have bricked).

dukestheheat
01-30-2008, 05:03 PM

blazeindw and magnolia888-

i was in the line for that one, too, and i remember the snowballs and the driving snow, and i also have a great story about that game. man, i wore my boots but my feet got super cold; when we FINALLY GOT INTO cameron (i think we actually got in earlier than the usual 1.5 hrs before the tip) i was walking on two blocks of ice, or so it felt like.

let's just say i warmed my feet that night in an unusual manner and leave it at that. that was such a fun way to warm some feet i can tell ya.

dth.

shadowfax336
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
too much information...

dukemomLA
01-31-2008, 04:23 AM
Yes, my daughter graduated in '01. BUT despite living in L.A. I have been to Cameron 28 times since then. SOOOOOO, STOP your snubs of my posts.

IMHO, the Crazies have diminished their creativity. Again, it's just my opinion. (But then, I'm allowed to have an opinion....ya think).

Sometimes the Crazies are loud and wonderful. BUT....I'd LOVE to hear from ya'll to 'remind' me of a GREAT cheer/taunt in the last 4+ years. Sorry but I need the Crazies to 'step it up' with all the (obvious) brain power at their disposal. Give it your all, current Crazies. Past Crazies and parents are depending on you! You are the supreme "sixth man" on the planet! So, do us proud -- and create something wonderful. Please.