PDA

View Full Version : Wrdu

Tommac
01-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know what happened to 106.1 WRDU FM station in the Raleigh/Durham area? Several months ago, I turned to that station and heard country music. WRDU was the station I turned to after the old WQDR station also changed to country in the early/mid eighties. WQDR was one of the first AOR stations I had ever listened to and was greatly appreciated during my high school and college years in the seventies. I live in Alamance County and now listen to Rock92 92.3 and the Buzzard 100.3. These stations still primarily play classic rock.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know what happened to 106.1 WRDU FM station in the Raleigh/Durham area?

Well, they broadcast carolina games. No telling how that has affected their brains. You remember that old TV commercial -- this is your brain, this is you brain on carolina....... :D

devildeac
01-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know what happened to 106.1 WRDU FM station in the Raleigh/Durham area? Several months ago, I turned to that station and heard country music. WRDU was the station I turned to after the old WQDR station also changed to country in the early/mid eighties. WQDR was one of the first AOR stations I had ever listened to and was greatly appreciated during my high school and college years in the seventies. I live in Alamance County and now listen to Rock92 92.3 and the Buzzard 100.3. These stations still primarily play classic rock.

You are correct. Several months ago they changed formats from classic rock to country:( :( . I think they are part of Clear Channel Communications and that is what the area wanted to hear, more country. I likewise used to listen to WQDR in the 70's and 80's before they became a country station. Now, it's CD's and/or XM.

wilson
01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I promise you don't have it as bad as you think...Atlanta has the worst collection of stations for any major market. The only "classic" rock station here vacillates between things Zeppelin (good), Steve Miller (palatable...sort of), and Third Eye Blind (not good or classic). We don't even have an oldies station. If you want oom-pah Tejano music, however, we have three choices.

Master Shake
01-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I promise you don't have it as bad as you think...Atlanta has the worst collection of stations for any major market. The only "classic" rock station here vacillates between things Zeppelin (good), Steve Miller (palatable...sort of), and Third Eye Blind (not good or classic). We don't even have an oldies station. If you want oom-pah Tejano music, however, we have three choices.

You should try 88.5-- Ga State's 100000 watt station. Very eclectic. Tues nights between 8 and 10 they play the best 60s and 70s underground. Then from 10-midnight they play classic country. Then after midnight its classic blues. They have tons of good shows. Ga Tech's 91.1 is pretty great too.

aimo
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
100.7 "The New River" is supposed to have replaced 106. They play a lot of Steve Miller Band, Eagles, and Boston.

cf-62
01-22-2008, 05:00 PM

Dude, this is why I hate the ClearChannel model of buying up all the local stations. They try to "spread out" the music. They didn't have a country station, so they reformatted RDU (no warning) to "The Rooster" (no joke - that's what they called it).

Then they took their oldies channel (100.7) and reformatted it to "Classic Rock," but a more appropriate type for this would be "Rock Oldies" because it's just soft rock.

The new channel worth listening to is 96.1, where some of the RDU DJ's ended up (just like the QDR DJ's went to RDU back in 84).

I like the Buzzard (100.3) but west raleigh is about the limit of reception.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Dude, this is why I hate the ClearChannel model of buying up all the local stations. They try to "spread out" the music. They didn't have a country station, so they reformatted RDU (no warning) to "The Rooster" (no joke - that's what they called it).

Then they took their oldies channel (100.7) and reformatted it to "Classic Rock," but a more appropriate type for this would be "Rock Oldies" because it's just soft rock.

The new channel worth listening to is 96.1, where some of the RDU DJ's ended up (just like the QDR DJ's went to RDU back in 84).

I like the Buzzard (100.3) but west raleigh is about the limit of reception.

In Winston-Salem ClearChannel bought up a station, changed the format to country and renamed it "The Wolf." ClearChannel's programming is too limited and their news reported by people at some distance from the actual events. So much for local flavor!

snowdenscold
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
I promise you don't have it as bad as you think...Atlanta has the worst collection of stations for any major market. .

Really, I found that LA had the worst selection of radio stations relative to its population. I mean, in DC or the Triangle I can find 6 or 7 stations I don't mind as presets. In LA I had trouble finding 3.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-22-2008, 07:31 PM
100.7 "The New River" is supposed to have replaced 106. They play a lot of Steve Miller Band, Eagles, and Boston.

I used to listen to 100.7 when it was oldies (like me). When it changed to the "river", and whateverthehell kind of new age music they played, I stopped listening to music in my car all together (yes, I have CD's in the car but they are too much bother). Now, in my Sonata, I have XM radio. Channels 6 (60's), 7 (70's) and 46 (top tracks, mostly 60's and 70's music) are my rotation. Also, XM broadcasts ACC sports (you get the home team broadcasts) and MLB, plus necessities like CNBC simulcast. Absolutely love it.

YmoBeThere
01-22-2008, 08:05 PM
All the reason to get satellite radio like Ozzie mentions.

PS Snowden is right about LA, atrocious radio for 10+ million in the listening area.

wilson
01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Really, I found that LA had the worst selection of radio stations relative to its population. I mean, in DC or the Triangle I can find 6 or 7 stations I don't mind as presets. In LA I had trouble finding 3.

Point taken, but here in Atlanta, my presets are NPR (our NPR station isn't even that good), the Braves station, the Falcons station, and an empty button.

rockymtn devil
01-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Point taken, but here in Atlanta, my presets are NPR (our NPR station isn't even that good), the Braves station, the Falcons station, and an empty button.

KBCO here in Boulder/Denver is an excellent station, on par with KFOG in the Bay Area (I assume they're owned by the same group).

If you're looking for good radio at work, both can be streamed online, and I know that at least KBCO streams their Studio C channel which is all live stuff from their studio.

DevilAlumna
01-22-2008, 10:03 PM
my presets are NPR

I knew you were good people, Wilson. :D

And if folks are looking for a good internet radio station, I highly recommend our local, public, KEXP (http://www.kexp.org/home.asp). Its top albums have a high correlation to the "top albums of 2007" thread on this board.