PDA

View Full Version : Coach K and El Deano numbers

IStillHateJimBain
01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Here's a statistical oddity:
K trails Dean Smith in career victories (879 to 790), by the same margin -- 89 wins -- that he trails El Deano in ACC wins (364 to 275). Three more years at Duke probably would yield enough wins to pass Smith on the NCAA list. Do you think he will be around long enough to reach 365 ACC wins? Let's say he averages 12 ACC wins a year. That would be another seven years at Duke at that pace. I think Gary Williams is No. 3 in all-time ACC wins now. That's pretty good considering everyone who's coached in this league.

Lotus000
01-21-2008, 09:34 PM
K trails Dean Smith in career victories (879 to 790), by the same margin -- 89 wins -- that he trails El Deano in ACC wins (364 to 275). Three more years at Duke probably would yield enough wins to pass Smith on the NCAA list. Do you think he will be around long enough to reach 365 ACC wins? Let's say he averages 12 ACC wins a year. That would be another seven years at Duke at that pace. I think Gary Williams is No. 3 in all-time ACC wins now. That's pretty good considering everyone who's coached in this league.

I don't see Coach K staying another 7 years, and averaging 12 ACC wins over 7 years is not the easiest thing at all...definitely not a gimme.

I am not sure if he'll even get to 900, like the General.

mus074
01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I am not sure if he'll even get to 900, like the General.

I predict both K and his mentor reach four digits.

Lotus000
01-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I predict both K and his mentor reach four digits.

I mean, it could certainly happen, that's for sure. Knight is 67 and Coach K is 60. I could see Knight getting around 20 wins for the next 5-6 years and banging out 1000 wins.

The deal with Coach K is this...while I'd love to have him around for a very, very long time, he's got a couple of bum hips and not the best back in the world. How much longer does HE want to coach? Could he coach until he was 75? That'd be great--but WILL he. Personally, I just don't see that happening. I'm thinking maybe 5-6 more years, personally, and that puts him around 120 more wins, give or take.

In the end, who knows how long he'll want to coach. Obviously he has a job for life, and I think it's more than evident that Dawkins will be the next head coach here. In the end, it's up to K to write his own story, as it were, regarding how long he wants to stay.

johnb
01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm thinking maybe 5-6 more years, personally, and that puts him around 120 more wins, give or take.

I'm thinking 5-6 years would mean between 160 and 190 wins, but that's just me.

By the way, perhaps we could discuss some other topic than K's retirement....

yancem
01-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Do wins in the ACC tournament caount as ACC wins? If they do, that could add a couple of wins each year.

pamtar
01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
My dad is 60. He has two fake hips and a bad back from a spinal cord injury he suffered playing football at State. He has the same work ethic as Coach K. and for all intensive purposes he is a workaholic. I don't see him stopping any time soon. He may retire around 70, but will probably keep doing his 'less physical' jobs until he dies. He's a college professor, landscaper, and owns a car wash that he treats like the Taj Mahal.

I see K as the same type of person. There is no quit in him. Other than his back and hips he's in good health. My estimate is he'll keep coaching until 75, or at least 70. Thats 10 more years and ~300 more wins. Hell, look at Bowden and Peterno(sp?).

2001dukechamps
01-22-2008, 10:49 AM
IMO K will coach atleast 10 more years. So any record Dean has can be broken by K. Heck he already has more NCAA titles and NCAA tourny wins then Dean.