PDA

View Full Version : Had to post this (from Inside Carolina)

Lord Ash
03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
A link, supposedly, to a piece of writing done by everyone's least favorite "pest who stole the ball from JWill while JWill was talking to coach, doesn't he know that is private time" guy while he was at Maryland.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021213114039/www.wam.umd.edu/~blakes/project1.html

If this is real, this rocks. And from what I can tell... it's real.

Oh man.

Jumbo
03-12-2007, 07:28 PM
A link, supposedly, to a piece of writing done by everyone's least favorite "pest who stole the ball from JWill while JWill was talking to coach, doesn't he know that is private time" guy while he was at Maryland.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021213114039/www.wam.umd.edu/~blakes/project1.html

If this is real, this rocks. And from what I can tell... it's real.

Oh man.

Oh, it's real. It was my signature on the DBR for like two years, until Blake's page disappeared. I don't understand the miracle that brought it back, but I feel whole again. "Johnny Rockets, a restaurant that brings people happiness." Oh, how I missed you. Updating sig now...

Jumbo
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
A link (http://web.archive.org/web/20030221054005/www.wam.umd.edu/~blakes/)to all the rest of his "papers."

notacolour
03-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Heeheeeee...

"Seeing the original American flag is like meeting a relative that you know a lot about but you see this relative for the first time."

Jarhead
03-12-2007, 10:10 PM
My wife and I discovered Johnny Rockets in Shiloh, Illinois. It was as described in the link, but I was especially pleased when a Jim Croce song came on the juke box, and waitresses danced the shag. Just where did four kids from Illinois learn the shag?

SeattleIrish
03-13-2007, 02:26 AM
Honestly, the "Blake Paper" always seemed just too damn sad to be funny. Just seems like an indictment of college athletics to me.

That said, I always got a chuckle out of Jumbo's old sig-line. But it was a sad little chuckle...a dirty little chortle at the joke that is on all of us. While I don't remember the player named, I remember a link on IC to a paper/e-mail/letter from a Duke player that was not high-five to the educational process.:eek:

s.i.

Cameron
03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
All these reasons bring me happiness.

What a moving way to conclude his thesis lol.

SharkD
03-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Just seems like an indictment of college athletics to me.

Depressingly, I saw remarkably similar work from non-athletes during my college days (1997-2001) at GW.

I firmly believe that this is indicative of the general decline in the american public education system, more than the shortcomings of the focus of high-visibility collegiate athletics.

mph
03-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I thought this was gone forever. I remember the first time I heard the Crazies chanting "Johnny Rockets! clap, clap, clap, clap, clap." I posted a message to the DBR asking if I was hearing things correctly and what it meant. Jumbo was only too happy to comply.

juise
03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
I was in line for the Marlyand game my juinior year (Blake's senior year). We were in tent 2, which meant we were lined up near the corner of Card that is clostest to Cameron. Blake's essays had been passed out with the cheer sheets. We were all reading them and laughing (many of us had seen them online previously) when someone in tent 1 recognized Blake's parents walking down the patch between Card and Cameron. Immediately, a bunch of guys from tent one started loudly reading the essay for their listening pleasure (or terror). I was never really comfortable with that scenario, but I can assure you that this essay did not pass by without notice.

Jeffack
03-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm actually the guy from tent 1 (2004) who had printed the essay out. I was handing it out to Maryland fans walking toward Cameron. I gave one to one of them and said "Would you like to see something your point guard wrote" and he said "I sure would. He's my son." I couldn't believe it. I guess it was just a good luck- I never would have been brave enough to hand it to him if I had known he was Steve Blake's dad.

Clipsfan
03-13-2007, 03:31 PM
As bad as Blake's essay was (and I'll admit that I thought it was humorous at the time), what saddens me is the number of athletes who manage to graduate without actually being able to read or write. Blake, at least, can read the contract he signed when he went pro. However, there are players who can't do that (SEC anyone?) The complete disregard for the academic discipline and the cheating which is required to get through the process (from SATs to grades in classes) is sickening.

juise
03-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, just to be balanced here, I should also note that the "Steve Blake's family tree" sign (which featured a straight line) from 2001 is probably my favorite Cameron sign of all time.

Lord Ash
03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Certainly not saying all of our guys are scholars (I lived in Hastings back before ALL Freshmen were on east) and man... Joey Beard was PAINFULLY dumb. Carmen Wallace, however, was always a very nice guy to chat with.