PDA

View Full Version : Zoubek's Return

mddukefan
01-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I have been a fan of this site for the past 4-5 years and have always read your posts with interest. I finally decided to join and add my 2 cents, so this is my first post. I was just curious if there was any update's on Brian's health? I'm assuming he won't be used against VA Tech this week, with Jeff Allen being sidelined with a suspension.

After seeing Maryland beat UNC I wouldn't mind having him back for that game. Living in Maryland i have seen their fans talk trash about their own team all season and now after 1 win, they have all kinds of things to say to me about this upcoming weekend. I'm confident but i wouldn't mind having Zoubek in the rotation against Gist and Osby.

That said i'm looking forward to being a part of the posts!! Thanks!!

Devilsfan
01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Obviously you haven't seen him play against talented opposition. We all want him well, however.

mddukefan
01-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I'll give you that. But i would like to have 5 more fouls to use on their bigs and a few minutes of rest for Kyle...

4decadedukie
01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Welcome, we're glad you're aboard. Duke's current "small" lineup -- starters and rotation -- is crystallizing nicely and can potentially defeat a "big post" approach with athleticism, speed, defense, and outside shooting. This leads me to wonder if Zoubek will not be medically red shirted for this entire year?

Jumbo
01-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Welcome, we're glad you're aboard. Duke's current "small" lineup -- starters and rotation -- is crystallizing nicely and can potentially defeat a "big post" approach with athleticism, speed, defense, and outside shooting. This leads me to wonder if Zoubek will not be medically red shirted for this entire year?

Zoubek cannot be medically redshirted this year -- he has played too many games to qualify. He'll be back this season, and hopefully soon.

dukegirlinsc
01-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Obviously you haven't seen him play against talented opposition. We all want him well, however.

amen to that.

4decadedukie
01-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Zoubek cannot be medically redshirted this year -- he has played too many games to qualify. He'll be back this season, and hopefully soon.

You're right: Twelve games > (.2)(30).

DukieInBrasil
01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
My conception of this team has changed dramatically since ACC play started. Previously I thought that this team needed at least nominal offense from McClure, LT and Z. When Z went down again (maybe for the year?), I was concerned that an already depleted frontcourt would become so thin that it would be too easily exploited. Since then LT and Dave have combined for nearly no production on O, and yet Duke has run off 3 double digit wins and shown an impressive amount of verve. To be fair, LT and Dave provide a valuable presence in certain situations, most notably on half-court pressure D, which is where a lot of Duke's O starts.

Our depth and versatility on the wings is impressive and has been extremely effective of late. We've got 3 guys (DN, GH and NS) whose MO is getting into the lane or to the rim, and they've been more than a handful lately. Only DN is a strong threat from 3 lately. Singler is not a "slasher" necessarily but his ability to shoot 3s definitely makes his inside game more effective. So we've got 4 guys who are getting a major portion of their scoring from inside/around the lane. Paulus, though slumping badly in the last 2 games, has shot well from 3 this year and seems to have a knack for getting key layups in clutch situations. Paulus won't be confused with a "slashing" guard but he scores in the lane too. Scheyer has been seriously effective as a 6th man and can come into any game and be an inside/outside threat depending on what the D is giving. So our guards + Singler have given Duke an inside presence, with only Paulus and Smith not really forces on the boards. It is an inside presence based on getting there, not necessarily about starting there.

We beat Clemson, who has a strong and deep frontcourt and who also gave UNC fits, even though they destroyed us on the boards. The box score shows that they beat us in the frontcourt, but Nelson, Henderson, Scheyer and Smith were on fire inside. Singler nailed 3 3pointers but he also shot well from 2. So the box score doesn't reflect where we were scoring from.

I want to see how Duke responds to UNCs depth in the frontcourt before this idea becomes deeply rooted, but if he still has eligibility to do so, why not red-shirt Z? If we show that we can consistently play at an elevated level with our personnel now, why force Z to lose a year of eligibility when his ability to contribute has been very compromised by injuries? One of the main elements of Z's recruitment was that he was going to be a project player, so why not let him recover more thoroughly and let him work on fundamental skills for being a C? He could then have 3 years remaining at Duke to develop from project to serious presence. However, if in the next 6 games we show that we are not able to maintain an elevated level of play without more interior presence, we may need Z back more than I imagine. However, this all becomes moot if he has played in too many games to redshirt this year, so, anybody got word on Z's eligibility for getting redshirt status?

Dukefan4Life
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Living in maryland i get bashed all the time for loving duke too. I hope Z can come back soon, we need him big time! we need his size and presence in the middle! i think we are one bigman away from winning it all!

natedog4ever
01-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Don't know if anybody heard the interview with Brian on the pregame radio show, but it did not sound promising. Sounds like he had another x-ray lately and he is back to doing only strength-type stuff and watching practice. I think if you are counting on him to make a big impact this season, you are probably going to be dissapointed. I feel bad for him - one of the ways he described the injury was "sad".

Uncle Drew
01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I have been a fan of this site for the past 4-5 years and have always read your posts with interest. I finally decided to join and add my 2 cents, so this is my first post. I was just curious if there was any update's on Brian's health? I'm assuming he won't be used against VA Tech this week, with Jeff Allen being sidelined with a suspension.

After seeing Maryland beat UNC I wouldn't mind having him back for that game. Living in Maryland i have seen their fans talk trash about their own team all season and now after 1 win, they have all kinds of things to say to me about this upcoming weekend. I'm confident but i wouldn't mind having Zoubek in the rotation against Gist and Osby.

That said i'm looking forward to being a part of the posts!! Thanks!!

Welcome to the board, I too think Duke will need Brian more than a lot of people would like to admit after Duke's last two games. I hope he is pain free and at least practicing again ASAP.

As for being in Maryland my condolences. It has nothing to do with the state, university or anything other than my ex-wife who was born in Towson and spent her formative years in Owings Mills. Just the sheer mention of those towns sends chills down my spine and makes me divide up half my belongings to have her cart them away. (Poor cat didn't even know what hit her!) :D

I don't think Brian can red shirt at this point can he?

Saratoga2
01-26-2008, 10:59 AM
The report on Brian on January 8th was that he broke his foot and would be back in 1 to 3 weeks. That would mean around the end of this month. We are nearly at 3 week time frame and no word seems to be coming out about him. Clearly when he comes back he will need to work to get into game shape, he has probably been on the bicycle in the interim so his cardio should be pretty good but there may be a couple of weeks for him to get ready for ACC play.

Does anyone have any details on his progress. We could use a big player Sunday, but that obviously that will be too early. I would love to see him back for UNC where he has given Hansbrough some trouble in the past.

jjasper0729
01-26-2008, 11:34 AM
in the radio pre-game, they did an on-court interview with Zoubek. He said that a couple of days earlier, they did another x-ray and it didn't look like they thought it would by this point so he's back to trying to stay off of it and just doing his cardio and other lifting exercises to stay in shape rather than get back on the practice floor.

that's the last I've heard

wilson
01-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't think Brian can red shirt at this point can he?

No. He's already played in too many games. I think the formula is that you can only redshirt after playing in less than 20% of your team's games.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-26-2008, 11:56 AM
No. He's already played in too many games. I think the formula is that you can only redshirt after playing in less than 20% of your team's games.

They modified the rule to less than 30% of a team's games. Saw this on TV this past week, I think on the Duke - VT telecast.

Lavabe
01-26-2008, 12:01 PM
They modified the rule to less than 30% of a team's games. Saw this on TV this past week, I think on the Duke - VT telecast.

You believe everything you hear on TV ... from the mouths of Patrick and Elmore?;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

SeattleIrish
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM

Should have gone with the smiley/winkie there, Devilsfan. Brian certainly isn't much of an offensive force, but he can alter shots - even those of talented opposition.

Not sure how he would fit in with the current rotation, but another physical game like VT (please, god, lets not have another one!) might mean a big body that can alter shots would be sorely needed. I, for one, was really looking forward to having him D-up on Hans.

s.i.

p.s. - welcome to the boards, MDdukefan!

jjasper0729
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Blog Update (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=zoubek_easing_back_in&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

On the ACCNow regarding Zoubek's status

Madrasdukie
02-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Blog Update (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=zoubek_easing_back_in&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)

On the ACCNow regarding Zoubek's status

Definetly encouraging.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Anybody else think Z will dramatically return just in time for the Carolina game?

Indoor66
02-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Anybody else think Z will dramatically return just in time for the Carolina game?

Odds are 100 x 1 against, IMO.

mph
02-01-2008, 12:52 PM

So you're saying there's a chance.

Indoor66
02-01-2008, 12:54 PM

If you like them odds, make the bet. It is a little long for me. Heck, I got 16 x 1 for Duke to win it all.

DukeDevil
02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I believe Duke will put 4 people on the floor for the game, and then, just as the opening tip is thrown up, Zoubs will burst through the floor into the air, grabbing the tip, convert the jump into a Blanka (see: Street fighter 2) style cannonball spin, and end off in a monster gorilla dunk shattering the rim along with the grad student section of the stands.

Carolina will bow down in submission, proclaiming Duke forever champions in the Duke-Carolina games.

it could happen.

Ignatius07
02-01-2008, 01:18 PM
If you like them odds, make the bet. It is a little long for me. Heck, I got 16 x 1 for Duke to win it all.

That's a movie reference (highly appreciated by me, mph).

Even if Zoubek does play against UNC - which I doubt - he will not be returning dramatically. We really should temper our expectations of Zoubek in his first few games other than maybe 3-5 minutes of fouls and a rest for the other guys. Hopefully he will be able to contribute meaningfully (~10 mpg plus decent rebounding and defense) by mid-March, which is not an unrealistic goal given this news.

Indoor66
02-01-2008, 01:20 PM
That's a movie reference (highly appreciated by me, mph).

Even if Zoubek does play against UNC - which I doubt - he will not be returning dramatically. We really should temper our expectations of Zoubek in his first few games other than maybe 3-5 minutes of fouls and a rest for the other guys. Hopefully he will be able to contribute meaningfully (~10 mpg plus decent rebounding and defense) by mid-March, which is not an unrealistic goal given this news.

I fully agree with you. His conditioning will be poor, if he plays at all this year.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I believe Duke will put 4 people on the floor for the game, and then, just as the opening tip is thrown up, Zoubs will burst through the floor into the air, grabbing the tip, convert the jump into a Blanka (see: Street fighter 2) style cannonball spin, and end off in a monster gorilla dunk shattering the rim along with the grad student section of the stands.

Carolina will bow down in submission, proclaiming Duke forever champions in the Duke-Carolina games.

I like it, but I'm thinking more of a Zangief piledriver on Hans. :)

No, seriously, I just meant that Z was expected back "in 2-3 weeks" 2-3 weeks ago. It would be a dramatic turn if he wasn't expected to play but came off the bench for 5-7 minutes of solid D against Hansblahblah. Sounds like that's not expected to happen though.

3rd Dukie
02-01-2008, 01:25 PM

it could happen.

I think Henderson has already done that twice this year, no?

tbyers11
02-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Maybe the home Carolina game in March ;). That probably wouldn't be too dramatic though.

heath_harshman4
02-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?

GREAT movie btw...

ice-9
02-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Zoubek is dressing for the Miami game! http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=zoubek_to_dress_vs_miami&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

This is very encouraging news. Even though Zoubs' contributions do not pop out on paper, I believe his big size can and does make a difference in games. Coach K thought so enough to start him a couple games too.

Go Duke!

DoubleDuke Dad
02-02-2008, 06:20 AM

it could happen.
Think Willis Reed of the Knicks when he started Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals.

helpedhttp://www.sportingnews.com/archives/sports2000/moments/165947.html

DoubleDuke Dad
02-02-2008, 06:23 AM

Let me try that link again.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/sports2000/moments/165947.html

devildeac
02-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Think this may be just a wee bit far-fetched...;)

Jumbo
02-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Zoubek is dressing for the Miami game! http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=zoubek_to_dress_vs_miami&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

This is very encouraging news. Even though Zoubs' contributions do not pop out on paper, I believe his big size can and does make a difference in games. Coach K thought so enough to start him a couple games too.

Go Duke!

This is great. If he can dress, he can play. Hopefully we can blow Miami out and work him into the lineup a bit to get his feet wet for potential spot duty against Carolina.

socaldukie
02-02-2008, 02:00 PM
This is a good sign indeed. I know K on Monday (weekly acc call)said Zoubek was out for NC State and questionable for Miami. So he must have progressed enough to warrant suiting up. I hope he gets a few minutes.

devildeac
02-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Did anyone take you up on your bet? The payoff would have been outrageous. I certainly would not have expected his return today.

Indoor66
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Did anyone take you up on your bet? The payoff would have been outrageous. I certainly would not have expected his return today.

No one did, thank goodness! :D

Classof06
02-02-2008, 06:13 PM
During the game today, they said Zoubek practiced yesterday (Friday), which explains why he dressed. If Brian's cleared to play against UNC, then I'd have to believe he'll get minutes. Though he didn't play extensive minutes in either, Brian did start for one of the UNC games last year.

loran16
02-02-2008, 07:12 PM
He looked his normal self in practice today, pulling 1 dunk and numerous 2 pointers.

But the fact that he sat on the far side of the bench was telling. Also during the 2nd time duke took the floor for warmups, zou left first before anyone else by about 5 minutes.

I say he's still a week or two away and K doesnt need to use him, so they'll be careful with him.

Olympic Fan
02-02-2008, 10:10 PM
K said after the Miami game that Zoubek is progressing, but must pass one more x-ray exam early next week before he's cleared to play.

He said he doesn't expect Zoubek to play against UNC, but hopes to get him back for the BC game next Saturday.

He also said that Zoubek has been working very hard and he'll be in game shape as soon as he's cleared to play. I assume he's been working hard on the stairmaster or in the water to keep his wind up -- I do remember Bobby Hurley returning from a broken foot after missing two-plus weeks and showing no ill effects due, they said, to his hard work in the pool.

devildeac
02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
K said after the Miami game that Zoubek is progressing, but must pass one more x-ray exam early next week before he's cleared to play.

He said he doesn't expect Zoubek to play against UNC, but hopes to get him back for the BC game next Saturday.

He also said that Zoubek has been working very hard and he'll be in game shape as soon as he's cleared to play. I assume he's been working hard on the stairmaster or in the water to keep his wind up -- I do remember Bobby Hurley returning from a broken foot after missing two-plus weeks and showing no ill effects due, they said, to his hard work in the pool.

I thought in one of K's books that Hurley and Bilas had a stairmaster 'pi$$ing' contest where one would post his # of 'flights' and in the next day or two, the other would come back with a higher #. I forgot who won(I think it was Hurley) and Bilas said something to the effect "he's a machine" or "he's not human" and "he kicked my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." and had done 850+ flights(wish I could remember which book it was). One of you better historians out there with a better memory-HELP!

banneheim
02-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Maybe Zoubek can return on the home game versus Carolina, just like Brand did in 98, where he dominated! I will be satisfied if he just sent back a couple of Hansflopper shots.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-02-2008, 10:59 PM
You're right: Twelve games > (.2)(30).

The rule was changed to 30% of a team's games, so .3x30=9, still less than 12 though.

blev23
02-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Why change things now. Not to take anything away from Z but duke has been playing great without him. Besides, he will almost surely be at duke for 4 years so do we really want him taking a chance and creating some type of long term damage? I say let him heal properly and completely and continue his development at the current pace.

Olympic Fan
02-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Maybe Zoubek can return on the home game versus Carolina, just like Brand did in 98, where he dominated! I will be satisfied if he just sent back a couple of Hansflopper shots.

Actually, Brand returned after a two month absence in 1998 for the UCLA game, one week before the UNC home game. He also played at Georgia Tech in the midweek game before the UNC finale, which was his third game back.

He did dominate in the second half, however, as Duke rallied for one of the sweetest wins in the series.

ugadevil
02-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Why change things now. Not to take anything away from Z but duke has been playing great without him. Besides, he will almost surely be at duke for 4 years so do we really want him taking a chance and creating some type of long term damage? I say let him heal properly and completely and continue his development at the current pace.

Fair enough. However, if he is completely healed and ready to play, then it would help the team if he could be out there. It's not like our post situation couldn't use some help. Even if Brian could come in and help keep Singler and Thomas out of foul trouble, we really need someone like that. Kyle's got to have some relief so that he doesn't have 4 fouls with 9 minutes left in every game.

MChambers
02-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I thought in one of K's books that Hurley and Bilas had a stairmaster 'pi$$ing' contest where one would post his # of 'flights' and in the next day or two, the other would come back with a higher #. I forgot who won(I think it was Hurley) and Bilas said something to the effect "he's a machine" or "he's not human" and "he kicked my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this." and had done 850+ flights(wish I could remember which book it was). One of you better historians out there with a better memory-HELP!

I believe the book you are remembering is A Season is a Lifetime, by Bill Brill and Coach K.

gofurman
02-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Any chance Zoubek is back by tomorrow?

Ignatius07
02-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Coach K has said several times that Zoubek will not play tomorrow. However, perhaps he is pulling what many people have suggested Roy is doing - acting as if he will not play and then throwing him out there. Of course, Z's impact would not be nearly as huge as Lawson's, and I don't think the crowd would be as excited...

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Coach K has said several times that Zoubek will not play tomorrow. However, perhaps he is pulling what many people have suggested Roy is doing - acting as if he will not play and then throwing him out there. Of course, Z's impact would not be nearly as huge as Lawson's, and I don't think the crowd would be as excited...

If Coach K says Zoubek is not playing, you can take it to the bank.
Love, Ima

Heelkiller1
02-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Z will be missed but I think he needs to tke his time coming back,because even though i HATE the tarheels Having him for the tourny would be a real good thing.Plus we do play them twice so he will get his chance.:D

UrinalCake
02-07-2008, 11:40 AM
A thought occurred to me yesterday while watching the game... there's kind of an eerie similarity between Shaq being traded to the Suns and Zoubek returning to the Devils. In both cases you have a team that's playing great using an up-tempo style, yet there are questions as to whether they can survive in the postseason without a dominant big man. At the same time, you wonder if adding a big man will disrupt the chemistry and/or playing style, which is already working.

I'm not saying that Zoubek is Shaq, or that the offense will be as reliant on him when he comes back, but I am curious how things will play out for both teams.

Olympic Fan
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
When K met with the press Monday, he said he hopes to have Zoubek back Saturday for the BC game.

I think his return would be welcome. He's not going into the starting lineup or anything, but he can offer a few minutes relief in games where Duke is being pounded inside. He gives Coach K an option that he doesn't have now.

In a way, I think he'll be like Taylor King -- in three games out of four, he'll make a token appearance and you won't miss him. But in that fourth game, he'll be huge off the bench!

gofurman
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Any word on Zoubek's return - the team is playing wonderfully but it would be nice to have him as an option. Also, I would just like to hear that he is healthy - hate for a kid to go that long with injuries

jimsumner
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Good chance he'll play a few minutes today.

Devilsfan
02-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Who?