PDA

View Full Version : Duke's all-time best -oubek

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 06:19 PM
It may be a little early for this poll. Still, the big guy has people talking.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Something I wasn't aware of until I was looking up something recently: Greg started every game of the '91 tournament run.

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
The man could play defense.

Duvall
03-12-2007, 06:26 PM
It pretty much has to be Zoubek, right? I mean, if the guy were just a raw project big man with as-yet untapped potential, we wouldn't see people suggesting convoluted ways to get him into the game every single day, would we?

Bob Green
03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I voted for Koubek because he produced. Zoubek has unlimited potential to produce in the future so if you run this poll at tournament time in 2010, I reserve the right to change my vote.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Zoubek has unlimited potential to produce in the future so if you run this poll at tournament time in 2010, I reserve the right to change my vote.

You gotta remind me. I'm a little foggy sometimes.

Fess up, folks, who voted for Zoubek?

Cisco
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Hands down babe!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Excellent throwback...

/wants to vote

MChambers
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I must have missed this poll when it first came out, so I voted now. I was torn, especially because I couldn't vote for my first two choices, which were Brian Koubek and Greg Zoubek, because Mike Patrick said both were great.

So I went for Brian Zoubek.

killerleft
04-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Greg Koubek was much more consistent for a much longer time frame. But I'd take both of them on MY team any day of the week!

MChambers
04-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Greg Koubek was much more consistent for a much longer time frame. But I'd take both of them on MY team any day of the week!

I don't remember Koubek being all that consistent. He came in with high expectations, having been co-MVP of the McDonald's game, as I recall (with Larry Johnson), and never really lived up to them, although he had a fine career.

In the Big East-ACC Challenge in November 1990, against Georgetown, Koubek looked totally lost. Given that he was a senior, I really wondered how much he would play. And then, much like Brian this year, part way through the season he found his role, and did a very nice job, although he certainly wasn't as key as Brian.

Son of Mojo
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I always remember the game on the road against Arizona where Koubs hit a three that later on was ruled a two. Even the replays showed it was a three but the refs changed call stood and we lost in OT. That one game frustrated me so badly that the one time I met Christian Laettner I had to ask him about it. I was 16 at the time and didn't think that he'd have to NOT give an opinionated answer but a standard response :p . The best thing to think on the poll is that BOTH have national titles.

Cisco
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
All i Know is, ZZZZZZZZoubek is the guy who challenged Hayward's first Game winning miss, and the guy who corralled the free throw After that miss.

RelativeWays
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Greg Zoubek obviously!

In all seriousness, I went with Brian for two reasons.

1. I remember Koubek, but my memory is getting foggier of him. I remember he did step up big time as a senior off the bench and was more of an offensive threat than Brian. Brian is more recent and endured a lot of hate and mocking from Duke's own fans. So he deserves it.

2. Zoubeard could choke slam Greg Koubek through a table. What other reason do you need?

CameronBlue
04-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Fans are fickle, polls are silly. It's always "what have you done for me lately?"

Huh Zoubs, huh??!!

Oh, yeah, almost forgot, that National Championship thing....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

mr. synellinden
04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, now every -oubek has one a National Championship in their senior year.

Koubek has the advantage of playing in four final fours.

Zoubek has the advantage of being a more vital part of a championship team, although it's close.

Saratoga2
04-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Brian really made the difference this year after his awakening. Greg in my mind was more of a middle of the road player. Last I knew, Greg was still living in Clifton Park, NY

weezie
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Zoubeard

Totally!

DukieInBrasil
04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I vote for Brian b/c there is no way Duke gets to the F4 or gets the trophy w/o him. Koubek was a fine player in his own right and a valuable member of those F4 teams, which also had Laettner, Hurley, a couple of Hills. I believe those other F4 teams very well could have gotten that far w/o Koubek, or w/ any other player who would have received that scholarship, due to the abundance of talent otherwise.
This year's Duke team, with all of it's flaws and weaknesses, was able to mask the weaknesses and overcome the flaws specifically b/c of what Z was able to do in the paint. Z had all sorts of flaws and weaknesses as well, which were very well covered by the rest of the team, so it was a perfect fit.
No amount of 'mis'underestimating should be done when considering the toll that foot injuries took from Zoubek's development at Duke. This poll would not even need to be conducted if not for those foot injuries b/c it would abundantly evident how awesome Z was.

greybeard
04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Brian. I know people will laugh, but I think that he sacrificed for much of the season his entire offensive game which, as we saw at the end, when they went to him on pick and roll and made lead passes that required athletic catches, or got it to him down low also in a way that required serious catches, was far from shabby.

Perhaps this was a work in progress and he developed into making these plays. I saw it in him his freshman year, so I would like to think that he had more to offer offensively than was asked of him. When K asked, at the beginning of the Baylor and Butler games, Zoubek delivered. Hurting both teams at the rim with Zoubek added a whole new thing that Duke's opponent in each game needed to be concerned with.

To me, what contributed to Brian's extraordinary season was, I believe, an ability to see and understand the game that is VERY, VERY UNDER RATED.

Brian gave of himself in many ways this past season, including foregoing the typical glory offensive plays. He invented new and outstanding glory offensive plays which were more integral to Duke's attack than if he had been deployed conventionally and averaged 12 a game.

Brian was smarter on the court than any center he played against. He hurt teams in ways that left them scratching their heads and hanging them at the end.

Brian Zoubek also gave voice to the toughness that this team displayed. He did it with his play. He literally during time outs beseached Miles and Mason not to let him down. He let the stars on this team know that he was taking a back step for no one, which I think at first amused them, but later, hey, he was a muscular giant whom everyone, even they, had to reckon with.

Brian Zoubek, boys and girls, never ever to be underestimated again.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
All I know is that *oubeks win championships. K needs to lock down on any future kid with this golden name.

Tappan Zee Devil
04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Tell me more about Other Oubek ;)

Cameron
04-13-2010, 10:28 PM
From March 2007:

I voted for Koubek because he produced. Zoubek has unlimited potential to produce in the future so if you run this poll at tournament time in 2010, I reserve the right to change my vote.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Truer words have never been spoken. Well done, my friend.

Johnboy
04-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Tell me more about Other Oubek ;)

Well, for starters, no one will ever wear his number (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=216) at Duke again! More recently, he expressed confidence in this year's team, in January saying he thought (http://www.lostlettermen.com/2010/01/greg-koubek-podcast-dukes-shot-at-final-four-is-best-in-years/) they had a great chance to make the Final Four.

Here's some more stats (http://www.dukeupdate.com/Alumni/greg_koubek.htm) and biographical info.