PDA

View Full Version : What type of scoring do you prefer?

MikeS
01-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Do you like a balanced scoring team like this years Duke team with about 3-4 guys around 12 pts and some other guys huvering around 10, or like the 05-06 team which had JJ and Shelden both doing the bulk of the scoring with some other guys getting around5-8 points?

MikeS
01-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I think you can win more games with balanced scoring just b/c it easier to stop 1 or 2 guys but in a close game with the game on the line I would rather have 1 or 2 dominate guys were you know what guys to go to.

Bob Green
01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
I love the balance scoring team. We have seven players with the ability to light it up on any given night. On a team with only two scorers, one player struggling really hurts your chance to win.

captmojo
01-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Team balanced scoring makes the defense work harder. It also can create a unknown for the defenders to focus on.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2008, 05:30 PM
In terms of strategy, maybe balanced scoring is like the old saying about not putting all one's eggs in the same basket. I enjoy seeing different guys step up to become the high scorer in different games.

pamtar
01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I like the kind where we have more points than the other team> :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Go Duke!

Mike Corey
01-20-2008, 05:40 PM
I'd submit that in a Coach K-offense, balanced scoring makes Duke's system all the more lethal.

Presumably, Coach K also prefers one, two or three players that can also be entrusted with the ball in their hands in key situations.

If only there were a metaphor to describe such an offensive philosophy. There must be something better out there to describe Coach K's preferred offense...hmm...

:)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-20-2008, 05:47 PM

My thoughts EXACTLY! You took the post right out of my keyboard.

MikeS
01-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Ya I perfer balanced scoring but I do believe this team would lose to the 05-06 team not b/c of JJ but b/c nobody could stop Shelden.

mapei
01-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I think watching JJ play was such a delight that I'd have to put that in a special category, an exception to my general rule of finding it more aesthetically pleasing and fun to watch balanced teams.

Jumbo
01-20-2008, 05:58 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about basketball vs., well ... something else.

Jumbo
01-20-2008, 05:59 PM
I think you can win more games with balanced scoring just b/c it easier to stop 1 or 2 guys but in a close game with the game on the line I would rather have 1 or 2 dominate guys were you know what guys to go to.

Pet peeve -- the word is "dominant," not "dominate." Dominant is an adjective. Dominate is a verb.

Jumbo
01-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Ya I perfer balanced scoring but I do believe this team would lose to the 05-06 team not b/c of JJ but b/c nobody could stop Shelden.

It's certainly fortune that they won't be travelling into a time-warp to play the 2005-06 team, then.

dukestheheat
01-20-2008, 06:14 PM
this is a good question, seriously, but the bottom line for me is this:

we need one more point than the team we are playing. that's all i care about.

dth.

MChambers
01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Whatever kind of scoring allows us to beat Kerlina.

elvis14
01-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I really like our balanced attack and think it can take us far...so I'll say in terms of being able to win the tournaments (ACC, NCAA) balanced is great. At the same time, my goodness did I enjoy watching JJ light up opponents. It was just so much fun watching him roll up 20, 30, 40 points!

Cameron
01-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I definitely agree that I LOVE watching our current offense work its magic. It is so exciting to see what guy is going to show up and light the scoreboard up that night. However, at the same time, Redick was in a world of his own in terms of viewing pleasure. JJ Watching was practically an art form. I was like a giddy school girl the hours leading up to his games. And I say "his games" because I'm not so sure I even remembered the rest of the team by the end of that season. I was so concerned with how many points JJ was going to heat up a team on any given night that I think I lost perspective of what really mattered. I can admit that. And even though I know that sounds terrible, I absolutey loved keeping track of his points in my head. It ranked right up there with, well, you know what. Perhaps even more enjoyable:)

JJ Counting was quite addictive, and something that we will never experience again. At least not for a long, long time. He was truly unique.

Uncle Drew
01-20-2008, 10:20 PM
It's always best to have a balanced scoring attack and a team where any given night a couple of guys can put up 20+ points on you. That being said I ALWAYS prefer balanced inside AND outside scoring. The announcer yesterday commented on how Duke was getting it's points in the paint a very non-traditional way. (Which also led to open 3's.) But when a team is hawking the three point line and quick enough to stay with the penetration it would be nice to have a low post player in the paint sometimes. (Not trying to open a can of worms, just stating an opinion.)

speedevil
01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
i would like to see lance score

devildeac
01-21-2008, 08:34 AM
i would like to see lance score

Dave, also, please.

devildeac
01-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about basketball vs., well ... something else.

now, now Jumbo, remember this is a family or G-rated(well, maybe PG-13) site;)

4decadedukie
01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Balanced scoring:
1. Far more difficult to defend
2. Less vulnerable to an injury
3. Less adverse influence from an individual “cold streak”
4. Less impact from a graduation/NCAA year’s exodus
5. Likely to enhance teamwork and team sprit
6. Probably better for player-development
7. Better exploits Duke’s proactive defensive pressure

MChambers
01-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Mostly because I think it helps play an attacking game, both on offense and defense, and that's my favorite type of basketball. More support for balanced scoring in this article:

http://www.nysun.com/article/69852

mgtr
01-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Much as I loved to watch JJ, I believe a balanced scoring attack will succeed better. While we cannot go back and play the 05-06 team, we will have a rough (very rough) comparison in how far this team goes in the NCAAs vs. the 05-06 team. If you are relying on one guy (even JJ), one bad shooting game and you go home.

mapei
01-21-2008, 02:35 PM
I think balanced scoring is more effective, but just watching someone go off (eg, Scheyer in the first half against FSU) in spectacular fashion can really be special to watch.