PDA

View Full Version : Carolina /Maryland

keithg
01-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Carolina down 9 at start of second half...Any chance?

DukePA
01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Highly unlikely. Let's not jinx the twerps.

Ben63
01-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Lets not jinx em... but with 15 to go they are up ten. Marlyand has blown ten in 57 seconds though. To Duke BTW.

juise
01-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Heels up 2 at the 8 minute mark. I think we all know the rest. :(

(Trying to conjure up some reverse jinx mojo.)

Ben63
01-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Heels up 2 at the 8 minute mark. I think we all know the rest. :(

We can still hope. And if UNC wins, we can keep it off our mind w/ Duke playing right after.

DukeBlood
01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
You people never learn.. Jinxed the twerps. Cant believe im actually rooting for the Maryland.

Lavabe
01-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Md up 2 by w/442 to go.
COME ON!!

RelativeWays
01-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Is there a way they can both lose?

Ben63
01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
2:57 to go UNC- 75 MD-74

Come on

Lavabe
01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Lawson has 4 fouls, Clever Hans has 3.
122 to go
Tied

mgtr
01-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Maryland was supposed to be in the dumper this year, but they look good to me. Win or lose, they deserve some credit for coming into CH and playing such a tough game. Tied with 43 secs.

Lavabe
01-19-2008, 05:29 PM
43.4 to go
Tied
Md Ball

COME ON!!

Ben63
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
43 seconds to go. 80 apeice. MD ball. Give it to Osby

dukie8
01-19-2008, 05:32 PM
part of me wants maryland to win but then the other part of me wants them to lose so unc will be undefeated when we play them.

Lavabe
01-19-2008, 05:33 PM
1.7 to go Md by 2.

instant replay needed

UNC ball

juise
01-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Before they showed the alternate angle replay on the Ellington miss, I knew there was no way that should have been Carolina ball. It was pretty obvious.

Lavabe
01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Md wins!

pamtar
Hahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

juise
Hans for 3? Really Roy?

Love it. :)

dukie8
why would you call a play for hans taking a 3???

SharkD
That's what Carolina gets for playing a bunch of cupcakes prior to the conference season. Sure, they were unbeaten, but they weren't prepared to handle even mediocre teams.

And now we get to listen to the press laud Gary Williams' "coaching ability." Ugh.

Before they showed the alternate angle replay on the Ellington miss, I knew there was no way that should have been Carolina ball. It was pretty obvious.

I thought the exact same thing. At least it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Indoor66
01-19-2008, 05:36 PM

stupid

RelativeWays
Well the refs tried hard to have UNC win, but to no avail.

dukie8
ucla is going down on cbs as well.

CameronBlue
01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I can hear it now.

dyedwab
Down go the Heels. I only watched the last 10 minutes - but I'm not sure how MD pulled this out

Fascinating

YmoBeThere
"Ding-Dong! The witch is dead!" - The Wizard of Oz

Ben63
Im so happy. This is the only game of the year I will root for MD but Hanstravel for 3, thats hilaroius

juise
Time to flip back over to CBS, where UCLA is down 8 with under 30 seconds left. I love me some non-Duke upsets. :p

DukieInKansas
01-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I just was the score. I love the Twerps - at least today. :)

dukie8
wow #1 and #4 both go down at home to teams not even in lunardi's field this week within a minute of each other.

gotoguy
Big win for Gary and the Turtles. No easy games this year for Duke and UNC:)

BacchusBlue
They finally lost one game, and the Carolina students are crying?! That is soooooo soft.

DukeBlood
01-19-2008, 05:39 PM
There was no Jinx today. Couldnt be more happier about being wrong.

Its a wonderful feeling, but Duke has to win for it to be a wonderful day.

watzone
01-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Meltdown alert. As soon as the buzzer went off, there was five more sudden and magical inches of snow which will keep the Heels in their Triangle homes all day tomorrow:)

77devil
01-19-2008, 05:41 PM

Assumed the fix was in and refs would call a foul.

MikeS
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
All I know is if Duke beats Clemson today they better be ranked higher than UNC. I think Duke is the beater team just based on the fact that they haven't struggled as often against lesser competition.

dukelifer

I did not think UNC could lose at home-but I too am happy to be arong. But if you continue to play close games down to the wire- eventually you are going to lose. Good to see that Maryland could get up for someone other than Duke.

yancem

I was thinking the same thing, why in the world would you draw up that play. Either get the ball to Hans down low or get the ball to Ellington (already made one game winner) or Green from the outside.

This is 3 close games for UNC is it time to question weather they are over rated? For that matter is it time to wonder is the so called big four are overated, USC just beat UCLA. Kansas and Memphis are still undefeated and while Kansas looks very impressive, had Memphis played anyone? Their conference is weak, so do we really know how good they are?

Lavabe
01-19-2008, 05:44 PM
I thought Clever Hans stepped on the line. Who cares ... they lose. Glad to see the Tacky Blues lose, despite being given possession of the ball with 10.7 to go (HOW did the refs give them the ball).

Now ... BEAT THE TIGERS!!

9F

Lavabe

dukie8
if duke wins tonight, we have to move up to 3.

Classof06
Hey Patrick, what was that about Carolina going through the ACC undefeated? You shoulda known better than to say that.

Although I know I will, I don't ever want to hear a UNC fan say Duke gets all the calls. The refs gave the 'Holes every single possible opportunity to win this game and they still couldn't get it done.

I don't want to jinx Duke cuz they're about to play, but how great was it seeing that one Carolina chick cry? Priceless...

dukie8
01-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing, why in the world would you draw up that play. Either get the ball to Hans down low or get the ball to Ellington (already made one game winner) or Green from the outside.

This is 3 close games for UNC is it time to question weather they are over rated? For that matter is it time to wonder is the so called big four are overated, USC just beat UCLA. Kansas and Memphis are still undefeated and while Kansas looks very impressive, had Memphis played anyone? Their conference is weak, so do we really know how good they are?

either they are over-rated or they are getting good practice for close games in the ncaat. i am shocked that they lost to maryland at home. something doesn't seem to be clicking for them right now.

prefan21
01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
After a dreadful Nevada caucus, it warmed my heart to see Hans chuck up an awkward 3 for the loss. :)

Troublemaker
01-19-2008, 05:48 PM
They finally lost one game, and the Carolina students are crying?! That is soooooo soft.

I schadenfreude'd like crazy watching those pansies weep. Let's hope Duke takes care of business in the next couple of hours so I don't feel bad for jinxing us.

As for the final shot, I'm pretty sure the plan wasn't Hans for 3. I assume UNC had run out of timeouts and when the play they actually called was cut off, they had to get it into someone, and with only 1.7 secs left, it's not like Hans could pass...

DukeBlood
01-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Dukelifer- Good point about UNC being at home. It didnt really click untill you said something. If you play with fire, eventually you will get burnt. UNC should of had this game wrapped up, they played lathargic for parts of the game.

I wouldnt say Kansas is overrated. Memphis... Maybe.. They should of lost ot USC(If USC hit some FT's). UCLA? Well, They are streaky. They can be VERY good, or just average. They dominated a pretty good WSU team but cant get up for USC?

edensquad
01-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Okay, I admit it: I am not as evolved as some on this board. A Carolina loss makes me almost as happy as a Duke win.

There. I said it. :D

jzp5079
01-19-2008, 05:57 PM
if duke wins tonight, we have to move up to 3.

seriously doubt it. we are a good team but i don't think we are top 3 quality.

banneheim
01-19-2008, 05:58 PM
How in the hell did Williams get Coach of the Year twice? It is pretty obvious that end of game situations, he only has one play-shoot a three!!! Pretty damn funny Hans for three.... Did anyone catch Ginyard just run over his player- and of course no foul, and before that hitting the ball out of bounds.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-19-2008, 06:00 PM

I may be a bad person, but the shot of the Carolina girl crying about the loss made me laugh out loud.

ArkieDukie
01-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Carolina lost because I didn't turn on the game after learning they were behind. I watched their other close games; that's why they won. (You're welcome.)

Now I just have to figure out the appropriate karma for the Duke-UNC game. Watch so Duke will win? Don't watch so Carolina will lose? The pressure...

DukePA
01-19-2008, 06:03 PM
GO DUKE, GO DUKE, GO DUKE!!!!!!

and of course:

GTHC, GTH, ES!!!

Troublemaker
Even though I'm celebrating the loss, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about UNC from this game. It's a long season and no team plays its best for 30+ games, not even Duke. UNC is still headed for 12+ wins in the league and probably a 1 seed or high 2 seed. And they're still better than Duke, imo, but it's obvious their defense needs to improve.

tbyers11
I schadenfreude'd like crazy watching those pansies weep. Let's hope Duke takes care of business in the next couple of hours so I don't feel bad for jinxing us.

As for the final shot, I'm pretty sure the plan wasn't Hans for 3. I assume UNC had run out of timeouts and when the play they actually called was cut off, they had to get it into someone, and with only 1.7 secs left, it's not like Hans could pass...

I'm almost positive that UNC still had one timeout left

DukePA
01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm almost positive that UNC still had one timeout left

Considering the fact that the holes can't spell or count, they were probably afraid of pulling a Chris Weber (sp?).

GO DUKE!!!

Classof06
01-19-2008, 06:08 PM
either they are over-rated or they are getting good practice for close games in the ncaat. i am shocked that they lost to maryland at home. something doesn't seem to be clicking for them right now.

I said the other day and maybe it's just ACC competition, but UNC seems to struggle against teams with multiple offensive threats in the post. Clemson (Mays and Booker) , Georgia Tech (Peacock and Smith), and Maryland (Osby and Gist) have all given UNC major problems down low which, by the way, kinda concerns me as a Duke fan.

Hansbrough doesn't seem to be getting the necessary support from Thompson and Stepheson and has, quite frankly, looked overmatched at times over the past 2 games.

gadzooks
01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
I may be a bad person, but the shot of the Carolina girl crying about the loss made me laugh out loud.Me too. I felt ever so slightly guilty, but I giggled nonetheless.

CameronBlue
01-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I said the other day and maybe it's just ACC competition, but UNC seems to struggle against teams with multiple offensive threats in the post. Clemson (Mays and Booker) , Georgia Tech (Peacock and Smith), and Maryland (Osby and Gist) have all given UNC major problems down low which, by the way, kinda concerns me as a Duke fan.

Hansbrough doesn't seem to be getting the necessary support from Thompson and Stepheson and has, quite frankly, looked overmatched at times over the past 2 games.

Perhaps the story is just now being told of how much Wright meant to UNC last year. And as giddy as I am to see UNC lose, teams seem to be bodying up on HansB moreso than last year, he's getting knocked around quite a bit. Not that he doesn't dish it out in equal or greater measure, but UNC games have been pretty rough affairs in the paint lately.

Saratoga2
01-19-2008, 07:14 PM

I agree with you. It is great and really UNC has been on the brink of losing the prior two games. The ACC is tough. Now we need to get down to business and win the Clemson game.

Patrick Yates
01-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey Patrick, what was that about Carolina going through the ACC undefeated? You shoulda known better than to say that.

Although I know I will, I don't ever want to hear a UNC fan say Duke gets all the calls. The refs gave the 'Holes every single possible opportunity to win this game and they still couldn't get it done.

I don't want to jinx Duke cuz they're about to play, but how great was it seeing that one Carolina chick cry? Priceless...

I was wrong about UNC going undefeated in conference, but they won't lose many. UNC needs to start playing SOME defense if they want to win. It is pretty obvious that not a single player really cares about D. They just want to be on offense. Even Ginyard is not really that good a defender. It only appears that he is good because he is literally the only UNC player who tries at all on D.

But they are so good on O that it doesn't really matter most nights.

I think UNC is getting ready to experience something that no one on that team has experienced. Being Hunted. I mean truly hunted, the way Duke has been for so many years now. UNC will now be getting the other team's best shot nightly.

Have fun with that Holes.

Patrick Yates

CrazyCat
01-19-2008, 08:11 PM
This is how it works in my house, we root for Duke, and then we root for anyone playing " The Other School." Thrilled Maryland one.

Lavabe
01-19-2008, 08:29 PM
This is how it works in my house, we root for Duke, and then we root for anyone playing " The Other School." Thrilled Maryland one.

And then there were the meltdowns in the postgame:
1) The UNC girl is STILL crying;
2) Roy used the word FRICKIN'

Cheers,
Lavabe

yancem
01-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Perhaps the story is just now being told of how much Wright meant to UNC last year. And as giddy as I am to see UNC lose, teams seem to be bodying up on HansB moreso than last year, he's getting knocked around quite a bit. Not that he doesn't dish it out in equal or greater measure, but UNC games have been pretty rough affairs in the paint lately.

Wonder if this will push him into declaring for the draft after this year? He is really taking a beating. Of course like you said he is also dishing out a beating.

Indoor66
01-19-2008, 08:40 PM

It seems to me your first sentence is the answer to your second point. With Wright gone they do not have the 2nd quality big on offense.

Kimist
01-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I only watched the last five minutes or so, nevertheless:

1 - I could not figure out why the unc fans were not MORE visibly upset after the Ellington play at the end. They are behind by two and Md has the ball with a few seconds left.....(I did see the out-of-bounds play)....but the announcers kept yapping. Ball to unc - what????:confused: - speaking of some home-cookin' !!

2 - HansTravel taking a three-pointer, what an absolute classic! (The only other "shot" I saw him take was an airball from the left side of the paint.) Perhaps he was confused when there was no one in front of him to knock over before getting some more free throws on his customary charge to the rim? ESPN showed he had been getting muscled around pretty well in the first half.

3 - Williams of unc fame spent most of the post-game press conference talking about how "we/I" did all kinds of things wrong to lose the game. One would think he might give at least a little bit of credit to (these words pain me!) the Terrapins?

But on an even brighter note, the Devils looked quite good against Clemson. The game plan worked well against a team that, due to its size and strength, on paper could have given Duke fits.

k

grossbus
01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
"Hanstravel"

i love it!

devildeac
01-19-2008, 10:36 PM

Probably because whenever he touches the ball, it's an automatic foul against anyone who is guarding him, you silly person;) .

shereec
01-19-2008, 10:57 PM
3 - Williams of unc fame spent most of the post-game press conference talking about how "we/I" did all kinds of things wrong to lose the game. One would think he might give at least a little bit of credit to (these words pain me!) the Terrapins?

Because this is a key piece of the Carolina legacy. Remember? Ademola Okulaja beat himself...

upstateny
01-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Actually, Roy gave more than a little credit to Gary and the turtles. As he should have.

RelativeWays
01-19-2008, 11:56 PM
. Good to see that Maryland could get up for someone other than Duke.

Ain't that the truth. Usually if the uniform didn't have D-U-K-E on it, Maryland couldn't be bothered to give a crap.

DukeFencer
01-20-2008, 12:09 AM
For anyone in Cameron around the time this game was ending - one of the greatest GTHCGTH chants I've experienced! (excluding end of game wins against Carolina themselves.) The Crazies always love a good GTHCGTH after a tough-fought game, but the pre-game chant was great! Students were watching the game at the concession stands, on the tv at the scorers table, and talking on the phone getting the scores - everyone seemed to know at the same moment!

loran16
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
For anyone in Cameron around the time this game was ending - one of the greatest GTHCGTH chants I've experienced! (excluding end of game wins against Carolina themselves.) The Crazies always love a good GTHCGTH after a tough-fought game, but the pre-game chant was great! Students were watching the game at the concession stands, on the tv at the scorers table, and talking on the phone getting the scores - everyone seemed to know at the same moment!

The TV at the scorer's table was hilarious. i was checking my phone, when we noticed everyone leaning into the scorer's table tv and we just reacted as they did. SO awesome.

Section 8
01-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Because this is a key piece of the Carolina legacy. Remember? Ademola Okulaja beat himself...

I'm told he still has to shave his palms.

BigTedder
01-20-2008, 01:38 AM
I guess he saw Hibberts hit the game winning 3 and thought he could do it....so Womansbrough....Hibbert's a better post than you...(obviously can hit the game winner better than you too!) BASK IN THE GLOW PEOPLE HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Lavabe
01-20-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks for clarification. That makes MUCH more sense. The TV replay of the Crazies watching the tvs and going crazy at the Md win left me with the impression that we invested in a giant replay screen at Cameron showing the game. Something about Mike Patrick these days yapping away at nothing that bothers me greatly these days.

It was awfully nice to see the Clemson fans watching and chanting along with the Crazies.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
01-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Probably because whenever he touches the ball, it's an automatic foul against anyone who is guarding him, you silly person;) .

You have 1.7 seconds left. You pass it to someone who can receive the ball. As Ellington was off yesterday, I understood why Huck went with a pass to Clever Hans. If the person who receives the ball is arguably your best player, you want him taking the shot, but quickly. At least from the 3 pt range, you have four GOOD things that might happen:
1) He might actually hit it;
2) He might get fouled (3 shots);
3) As devildeac alluded, the refs would call a foul on someone near the shooter (3 shots). I wouldn't do the wink icon, as it is CLEAR that at 10.7 seconds, the refs gave the ball to UNC on an out-of-bounds play that should have been reversed for Md.
4) Perhaps someone underneath might tip it back in for a tie. I don't recall seeing a tacky blue person there.

Seems logical to me. Good D (and not going for the steal on the inbounds pass) seemed to work against the tacky blues.

Fortunately the 5th GOOD thing happened. Md defended well, and he missed the shot!:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

Devilsfan
01-20-2008, 10:19 AM
His normal 5 steps would have gotten him there easily. Did anyone notice how open #14 was under the basket? But everyone knows the "BEST" player in the country doesn't pass.

MChambers
01-20-2008, 10:40 AM
His normal 5 steps would have gotten him there easily. Did anyone notice how open #14 was under the basket? But everyone knows the "BEST" player in the country doesn't pass.

No way he could pass it to someone who would have time to get a shot off. Hansbrough isn't much of a passer, I agree, but this is one time where he can't be faulted for not passing.

What should be of concern for UNC is its defense. Maryland isn't a very good offensive team, but UNC didn't stop the Terps yesterday, at home.

flash
01-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Hope all the UNC fans enjoyed the silly pregame good luck dance by Dancing Danny Green yesterday. Roy and the team seemed to get a big kick out of it as well. In the end Dancing Danny looked pretty stupid when the Maryland player got around him to score the winning basket and Dancing Danny end up on his butt. You know Dancing Danny and probably Roy and UNC fans would have probably traded the Dance for Danny having conserved that energy to make that one defensive stop at the end. Oh well, so much for it being good luck. I myself find it disrespectful to the visiting teams. I appreciate the fact the the Blue Devil players don't have to resort to such stupid ploys to pump themselves and their fans up.

weezie
01-20-2008, 04:21 PM
What fun it was to drive up 85 today while passing sad, dispirited 'hole fans! Especially the guy wearing his Hansbore jersey while driving his Toyota with the Maryland plates. He's going to have a rough day tomorrow at the jerk store.

dukegirlinsc
01-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Okay, I admit it: I am not as evolved as some on this board. A Carolina loss makes me almost as happy as a Duke win.

There. I said it. :D

I agree to the fullest.

dukegirlinsc
01-20-2008, 04:27 PM
I absolutely love that Tyler Hansbrokenface took the last shot. And missed. AHAHAHAHAHA. Mr. Perfect is...well....not so perfect? :(

captmojo
01-20-2008, 05:18 PM
In the end Dancing Danny looked pretty stupid when the Maryland player got around him to score the winning basket and Dancing Danny end up on his butt. You know Dancing Danny and probably Roy and UNC fans would have probably traded the Dance for Danny having conserved that energy to make that one defensive stop at the end.

The out-of-bounds off MD play aside, why was Dancing Danny not called for an undercutting foul on Osby's game-winning shot?

Taco
01-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I was also unclear as to why Ginyard wasn't whistled for a foul during the inbounds at 10 seconds (second to last play) when he put both his hands on a MD player's chest and shoved him all the way across the floor and eventually onto his back

devildeac
01-20-2008, 06:58 PM
The out-of-bounds off MD play aside, why was Dancing Danny not called for an undercutting foul on Osby's game-winning shot?

Because DUKE gets all the calls...

devildeac
01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I was also unclear as to why Ginyard wasn't whistled for a foul during the inbounds at 10 seconds (second to last play) when he put both his hands on a MD player's chest and shoved him all the way across the floor and eventually onto his back

Because DUKE gets all the calls....

Seriously, I would have loved to hear/see Coach Sweaty's reaction if Md had ended up losing that game, especially after the botched OOB call.

Kimist
01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Because DUKE gets all the calls....

Seriously, I would have loved to hear/see Coach Sweaty's reaction if Md had ended up losing that game, especially after the botched OOB call.

I agree completely. If HansTravel had made the final shot, or an "understanding" ref would have called a foul on someone in a red uniform, the MD folks could justifiably have screamed robbery.

The out of bounds ball awarded to unc has to be one of the worst calls of all time, but I guess is reasonably consistent with others in the DumbDome. (Others have mentioned hand checks/shoves that were not called, but those are at least....shall we say..."subjective." That OOB call to me is several degrees higher than "gets all the breaks" - that was an atrocious call that easily could have cost MD their victory.

No, this is not a "Terping" viewpoint, but instead just my opinion of the plays near the end of the game.

k

mapei
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm not sorry that Carolina lost, but I wish it could have been to some other team.

buzz
01-21-2008, 12:51 AM
For those that are interested, you can view the end of the game at the YouTube link below. The out-of-bounds call with 10.7 seconds is best viewed at 5:38 on the video. Absolutely no question UNC was given a major gift on this one.

The Ginyard push/knock-over referred to in an earlier post comes at about 5:57, although it had little impact on that play IMO. The pile-up at 6:10 that gave UNC the ball on the possession arrow was a bit of a maul-fest too. No good replays of that one though. Anyway, I was glad to see that the Heels weren't able to capitalize, despite the extra chances.

Even if you don't care about the calls, it's worth viewing the end just to see the looks on the faces of the Heel fans. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3XWCKSaxq0

Lavabe
01-21-2008, 05:42 AM
I agree completely. If HansTravel had made the final shot, or an "understanding" ref would have called a foul on someone in a red uniform, the MD folks could justifiably have screamed robbery.

The out of bounds ball awarded to unc has to be one of the worst calls of all time, but I guess is reasonably consistent with others in the DumbDome. (Others have mentioned hand checks/shoves that were not called, but those are at least....shall we say..."subjective." That OOB call to me is several degrees higher than "gets all the breaks" - that was an atrocious call that easily could have cost MD their victory.

No, this is not a "Terping" viewpoint, but instead just my opinion of the plays near the end of the game.

k

Considering that Md's next game is Duke, I'm glad that a week of added foment has been avoided by this win over the Holes and their refs.

Cheers,
Lavabe