PDA

View Full Version : Most fetishized low-PT Duke player of the decade

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Of Duke's low-PT players since 2000, who has been clamored for most loudly by internet posters?

(Define "low-PT" however you like--but obviously the player cannot have consistently started).

hurleyfor3
03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Patrick Davidson

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes, but that was always ironically. No one was actually [constantly] suggesting that he play major minutes.

dcarp23
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
is my other. People fetishized him after he left, and a couple of people brought him up even after he had quit the game.

Duvall
03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Of Duke's low-PT players since 2000, who has been clamored for most loudly by internet posters?

(Define "low-PT" however you like--but obviously the player cannot have consistently started).

I don't recall anyone clamoring for Melchionni, Love or Christensen to get any more minutes that they actually did.

No Sanders?

hurleyfor3
03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh, you were for real. Now you tell me. I don't read TDD or anything like that, so I have no idea what "the internet" as a whole has "clamored for most loudly."

hc5duke
03-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I don't recall anyone clamoring for Melchionni, Love or Christensen to get any more minutes that they actually did.

No Sanders?

I voted other, Casey Sanders.

JasonEvans
03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
"fetishized"?!?!?

Way to invent a new word. I can't imagine that is proper inglish but I knew exactly what you meant. Props! ;)

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
You know what, I had Thompson on there but accidentally deleted him. I don't know why. At some point I decided there needed to be an "other."

and a couple of people brought him up even after he had quit the game

That was pretty ROFL.

tbyers11
03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Nick Horvath.

It's got to be Nick Horvath. The annual summer pickup reports that Horvath was morphing into a combination of Laettner and Brand easily trump the fact that Zoubek played well in the Blue-White game.

Lord Ash
03-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Taymon D, baby! Oh wait,that was just me.

Tho I do remember those Horvath rumors:)

Troublemaker
03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Gotta be Marty. In part because, he's pretty darn talented.

EagleDevil
03-12-2007, 07:40 PM
"fetishized"?!?!?

Way to invent a new word. I can't imagine that is proper inglish but I knew exactly what you meant. Props! ;)

Huh? It's a word, all right.

In fact, I hear it often enough that I was shocked not to find in the Oxford English Dictionary (2nd edition) in 1991. It was added in a supplement in 1993.

Maybe you have to be an academic to hear it used... and it probably doesn't hurt to be in a department of religion.

Chris

MChambers
03-12-2007, 07:47 PM
But that won't stop me from voting for Andre Bucker. Uh, Buckner.

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe you have to be an academic to hear it used... and it probably doesn't hurt to be in a department of religion.

Or pretty much any humanities-ish field.

Cameron
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
But that won't stop me from voting for Andre Bucker. Uh, Buckner.

After stepping to plate to take on Doherty, Andre should have been named to the ACC Legends Team:)

superdave
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
He won a title or two. And he played a lot because that 92 team blew so many teams out of the water.

EagleDevil
03-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Or pretty much any humanities-ish field.

Yep. I was just referring to the fact that "fetish" originally referred to a religious symbol used by primitive peoples. I believe the sense in which we use it now (e.g. a "sexual fetish") is basically metaphorical.

OK, veering OT here. ;)

Chris

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
So, according to what you're saying, if one were to build a monument to Taymon Domzalski...

Exiled_Devil
03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I have to agree with Horvath - I recall all of the posts about him each fall.

The player I loved to see go into the game was Reggie Love - I thought cheering for his name was amusing, and then after the win against Carolina which debuted the 3-headed monster (Love, Sanders, Christensen) he had the best interview. It was basically "I love my team! I do what Coach K says; rebound, defend, shoot! I'm just excited to be here and play!". It was an inspiring speech by basicaly a bench player.

Anyone know if he is still bouncing around the NFL? Last I heard (2 years ago) he had changed positions and was on a practice team for someone.

Exiled

EagleDevil
03-12-2007, 09:36 PM
So, according to what you're saying, if one were to build a monument to Taymon Domzalski...

LOL... :D :D

tbyers11
03-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Wanting to build a monument to Taymon Domzalski is why Pete Gillen is no longer the coach at Virginia. :) That and calling all of his timeouts in the first half nearly every game.

FewFAC
03-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I guess this one is a bit before the internets, but the Crazies always clamored for some Ron Burt action. "Ron must score!"

BluBones
03-12-2007, 10:28 PM
There was a strong Horvath fetish, but it wasn't something that occurred during the actual basketball season. Horvath fetishists zipped on their black leather in August and September, when pick-up game reports came out. "He's bulked up!" "He made twelve threes in a row!" "He can play any position!" Don't get me wrong. Nick "I like all shots" Horvath was one of my favorite players, but his constituency took off their handcuffs and their ball gags come November, when the games actually started.

My favorite, all-time, low-PT moment was Duke vs. Clemson in Cameron, 1984. It was the last home game of the season and one senior, a 5'9" walk-on named Richard Ford, hadn't yet been in the game. This was K's first winning season at Duke. The season had started well, at 14-1. Some people on campus thought this guy K might actually be able to coach. The ACC schedule, as usual, was tougher. Duke's ACC record going into that game was 7-5, with many of those games decided by just a couple of points. Every Duke fan in Cameron was itching to win the Clemson game in the worst way. That season had given us our first taste of winning in years, and we liked it. With a minute to go, though, it looked as though it wasn't going to happen. IIRC, we were down by six without the ball. The entire building erupted in a chant of FORD, FORD, FORD, FORD. K consulted with the assistants (he wasn't his K-ness back then, of course, and this decision meant he was effectively giving up on the game. He needed to know his assistants agreed.) and sent Ford into the game. The building erupted.

Duke lost the game by just one point.

unexpected
03-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Remember the UConn game? when we just needed someone to take fouls against Okafor? Thompson would have been PERFECT for that role. I still fetishize for him 3 years after the fact. ARGH! The ANGUISH.

That was our best year to win the title.

As for Reggie Love, he was on the cowboys for a while. By a while, I mean a training camp. Tuna converted him to a linebacker, then cut him before the season. No word on what he's doing now.

JBDuke
03-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Gotta be Marty. In part because, he's pretty darn talented.

Or because imagepro has, in the few days that this board has been in existence, posted approximately 872 posts extolling Marty's virtues.

dukesbetter
03-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Ricky Price...

throatybeard
03-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Ricky Price played a ton!

EagleDevil
03-13-2007, 08:52 AM
...it was a lot easier to second-guess PT decisions this season than in other recent years, given Duke's comparative struggles.

Chris

imagepro
03-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Not my pick, but man oh man did the students adore him!

CMS2478
03-13-2007, 10:37 AM
ImagePro...................that is really weird, I was actually opening this thread to put Carmen Wallace bc nobody else had mentioned his name and you beat me to it. :mad:

Of course Marty is always a good pick too............:D

dyedwab
03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
As for Reggie Love, he was on the cowboys for a while. By a while, I mean a training camp. Tuna converted him to a linebacker, then cut him before the season. No word on what he's doing now.

Reggie Love is working on Barack Obama's presidential campaign as a travelling aide

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0207/Obama_Picks_Up_Free_Agent_Center.html

Clipsfan
03-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Not my pick, but man oh man did the students adore him!

I'm going to second (third?) the Carmen Wallace suggestion, as he really didn't get much playing time (many of the others thrown out here did) and we always wanted him in there. Another part of me says Jay Heap, because despite his stature he really stepped up in one of our games (I can't remember which one?) after our PGs went down.

Matches
03-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Probably Michael Thompson would get my vote (I still recall someone in 2003 bemoaning the fact that Thompson would be a LOCK for 20 ppg/ 10 rpg if only K would play him).

I always rooted for Carmen Wallace, though. I liked his game a lot and thought he was a heckuva nice guy.

VaDukie
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Reggie is working on Obama's campaign? I love it!

RelativeWays
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
CRAWFORD PALMER IS A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about that Clay Buckley kid (I think that was his name).

SharkD
03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
I would think, with his collection of tattoos and body piercings, and his masterful bench-riding, Greg Newton would have been nominated as the most fetishized player of the last decade. ;)

SharkD
03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
What about that Clay Buckley kid (I think that was his name).

IIRC, Clay Buckley (you got his name right) has a place in NCAA history as the first player to participate in four Final Fours (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991) -- since freshmen were not eligible in the Wooden era.

duke03
03-13-2007, 01:33 PM
My memories of Horvath were not wishing that he would get more PT, but rather that he would stop jacking up horrendous three-point shots. He banked in a game-winning three against DePaul his freshman year, and ever since then could be counted on to take a horrible three-point shot every game, often at an incredibly inopportune time.

CMS2478
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I remember wishing he would have never made that bc he hits one game-winning 3 and he instantly thinks he is a 3-point shooter. Some of those 3's were REALLY BAD!!!:eek:

delfrio
03-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Ditto to the Carmen Wallace (serious) / Jay Heaps (not) duo.

calltheobvious
03-13-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm going to second (third?) the Carmen Wallace suggestion, as he really didn't get much playing time (many of the others thrown out here did) and we always wanted him in there. Another part of me says Jay Heap, because despite his stature he really stepped up in one of our games (I can't remember which one?) after our PGs went down.

The Jay Heaps game you're remembering was UNC at home in 1996. Carolina led the whole game, and K started fouling at about the 3:30 mark down 10 or 12. Over the next minute, I think UNC went 9/10 from the free throw line, so K pulled his starters with about 2:30 remaining. In come Todd Singleton, Baker Perry, and Jay Heaps (I can't remember who else was on the floor). In the minute or so that the guys were on the floor (they played too well to be left in!), Perry hit a 3-pt shot from deep on the left wing (he was hit on the elbow with no call), Singleton converted a three-point play in transition, and someone (Singleton?) converted two technicals after Jay Heaps went hard after a loose ball and knocked McInnis into the wooden press row "wall." McInnis was ready to fight Heaps over what was just an aggressive basketball play. The T was McInnis's second of the day, so that was curtains for him.

The 8-1 run by the three walk-ons got Duke to within 5, at which time K brought back Capel, Ricky Price, and Wojo (Chris Collins left the game with a lot of time remaining with a badly sprained ankle). We got it down to four, and Price had a wide-open three from the wing that would have cut it to one with about 20 seconds to play, but Ricky missed, UNC rebounded, game over.

dukehick
03-13-2007, 02:21 PM
That is a nice summary of the last few minutes of the '96 game, one of my favorite Duke-Carolina moments. I was about three rows back from the spot where Heaps collided with McInnis and sent him into the wooden press divider with a "THUD". You never want to see a player get hurt (even a Tar Hole) but I and everyone around me erupted when we saw the aggressive play from Heaps. I think he channeled the collective sentiment of the student body at that point in the game. I have never been to an NHL game but I imagine that is about what it feels like when you watch a player get slammed against the glass right in front of you...

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAPSSSS!!!!!

cato
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Ah, but Jay Heaps did get serious PT. Just not on the hardwood.

Clipsfan
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
The Jay Heaps game you're remembering was UNC at home in 1996. Carolina led the whole game, and K started fouling at about the 3:30 mark down 10 or 12. Over the next minute, I think UNC went 9/10 from the free throw line, so K pulled his starters with about 2:30 remaining. In come Todd Singleton, Baker Perry, and Jay Heaps (I can't remember who else was on the floor). In the minute or so that the guys were on the floor (they played too well to be left in!), Perry hit a 3-pt shot from deep on the left wing (he was hit on the elbow with no call), Singleton converted a three-point play in transition, and someone (Singleton?) converted two technicals after Jay Heaps went hard after a loose ball and knocked McInnis into the wooden press row "wall." McInnis was ready to fight Heaps over what was just an aggressive basketball play. The T was McInnis's second of the day, so that was curtains for him.

The 8-1 run by the three walk-ons got Duke to within 5, at which time K brought back Capel, Ricky Price, and Wojo (Chris Collins left the game with a lot of time remaining with a badly sprained ankle). We got it down to four, and Price had a wide-open three from the wing that would have cut it to one with about 20 seconds to play, but Ricky missed, UNC rebounded, game over.

That is definitely a good summary of what happened against UNC, and your description helps me remember it (I was there, but my memory isn't what it should be). However, I was also thinking about the next game (in the ACC tourney) where Heaps played 9 minutes (by far the most he played in any single game). I forget the exact reason that Heaps got all the playing time, but I think that it had something to do with injuries.

tbyers11
03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
That is definitely a good summary of what happened against UNC, and your description helps me remember it (I was there, but my memory isn't what it should be). However, I was also thinking about the next game (in the ACC tourney) where Heaps played 9 minutes (by far the most he played in any single game). I forget the exact reason that Heaps got all the playing time, but I think that it had something to do with injuries.

Chris Collins didn't play against MD in the ACC tourney b/c of the ankle he tweaked against UNC. He played in the NCAA game against E Michigan but his ankle was still nowhere near 100%. Combine that injury with Carmen Wallace not playing the last 10 games or so due to injury and Trajan's medical redshirt, the pickings in the backcourt were pretty slim. That gives 9 minutes to Jay. I also think Coach K just loved Jay after the tenacity he showed checking McInnis into press row.

hurleyfor3
03-13-2007, 11:52 PM
IIRC, Clay Buckley (you got his name right) has a place in NCAA history as the first player to participate in four Final Fours (1988, 1989, 1990, 1991) -- since freshmen were not eligible in the Wooden era.

Buckley didn't play in the '88 semifinal, nor in either game in '91.

He did, however, provide a famous "assist" to Bobby Hurley in the '91 Unlv game.

throatybeard
03-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Didn't Davis and Laettner see the floor in 1989 though?

Maltedone
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
. . . based on one post. The post was serious, I think, and came right after the Blue/White 28 point performance. In the post, worry was conveyed regarding whether Zoubek might leave early for the NBA based partly on this performance, as well as on the fact that GMs might covet a player of Zoubek's size to match up with Oden.
That, my friends, is suprafetishizationism.

hurleyfor3
03-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Didn't Davis and Laettner see the floor in 1989 though?

Yes, everybody got PT in the game against Satan Hell.