PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the west?

JasonEvans
03-12-2007, 05:10 PM
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!

Kewlswim
03-12-2007, 05:11 PM
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!

Hi,

Ibid.

GO DUKE!

feldspar
03-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Argh. My heart says Duke can pull it together, but my head says no way.

This is the toughest region for me. I'm split evenly between Kansas and UCLA. Have to go with Kansas by default because they've done better down the stretch and I think the Pac-10 is sub-par this year (what's new?).

Confidence factor: 50%

toughbuff1
03-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm rooting for Duke, of course, but I think it will be UCLA. I have Duke in the sweet 16.

BCGroup
03-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Can't vote for anyone else...

FewFAC
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I would have a 12 seed going to the FF from this region if the 12 wasn't Illinois.

Karl Beem
03-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Duh!:p

Silly extra characters.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!
GoDuke!!

Well said Jason.

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 06:48 PM
I can't answer until I know whether Zoubek will get at least 20 minutes of PT against Virginia Commonwealth.

dahntaysdawg
03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I can't answer until I know whether Zoubek will get at least 20 minutes of PT against Virginia Commonwealth.

we need to know how many traveling turnovers to expect

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
we need to know how many traveling turnovers to expect

Sort of depends on the number of touches he gets.

Cameron
03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I have Kansas knocking us off in the Elite Eight (with us knocking off Gonzaga in the Sweet 16.)

This is a risky pick, but I really do think we have the talent to make the Regional Finals. It will come down to (and pardon the cliche) how bad we want it.

Dar95
03-12-2007, 07:25 PM
After the last two years, can't pick Kansas. Can't pick UCLA after their fade. I think Duke finds a way past Pitt. Va Tech is way too unpredictable. No go on Kentucky, Indiana, Nova, Gonzaga.

So, Duke or Southern Illinois? Don't get greedy... don't get greedy... plus, objectively, we'd have a hard time scoring 50 against the Salukis, and our defense might not be able to quite get back to that point. So, SIU it is.

Though if Zoubek goes for 20 and 15, maybe that changes things! :cool:

Madrasdukie
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
...but mostly 'cause I want 'em to. It is not impossible.

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 08:00 PM
I just want to see Illinois play Southern Illinois. Freaky.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I just want to see Illinois play Southern Illinois. Freaky.

Winner gets... Interstate 57, I guess.

Buckeye Devil
03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Two weeks ago I would have said UCLA, but I think Kansas has the guns this time.

Duke does have a good chance to, and I think will beat Puttsburgh if they meet. You could not ask for a better set-up for the Devils to get to the Sweet 16.

captmojo
03-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Do 'ya really 'gotta know why?

Bob Green
03-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Why Duke of course:)

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Clipsfan
03-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Argh. My heart says Duke can pull it together, but my head says no way.

This is the toughest region for me. I'm split evenly between Kansas and UCLA. Have to go with Kansas by default because they've done better down the stretch and I think the Pac-10 is sub-par this year (what's new?).

Confidence factor: 50%

I think that the conference strength has to lean heavily towards UCLA over Kansas, given that the PAC-10 was considered the toughest conference by RPI most of the season (and still may be, but is at the worst 3rd after the ACC and the Big East). One of the reasons that Kansas' RPI is 12 or something and UCLA's is #1 is their relative strength of conference.

Clipsfan
03-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Two weeks ago I would have said UCLA, but I think Kansas has the guns this time.

Duke does have a good chance to, and I think will beat Puttsburgh if they meet. You could not ask for a better set-up for the Devils to get to the Sweet 16.

True, getting to the sweet 16 would be nice, but I don't see how we'd beat either UCLA or Kansas, much less both of them. Even so, I'd like to advance one game at a time, so let's beat VCU first.

Forrest
03-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Though if Zoubek goes for 20 and 15, maybe that changes things! :cool:
Is that 20 touches and 15 travels? ;)

MrTeeny
03-13-2007, 12:11 PM
After the last two years, can't pick Kansas.
I'm not terribly confident about a Final Four run either, but 7 of KU's top 8 were in high school when the Jayhawks fell to Bucknell. The one who did play (Kaun), only got 3 minutes. They were mostly freshmen when they lost to Bradley, a senior-laden team with a lottery pick at the center position.

The only constant over the last 3 years is the coaching staff. The same staff that was an overtime away from the Final Four the year before Bucknell.

Last year, I picked Florida to bow out in the first round, given Billy D's history of first round flops.

duke03
03-13-2007, 01:22 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is saying that a potential matchup against Pitt is a good thing for Duke. I've seen Pitt play numerous times, and if Aaron Gray brings his A game, nobody on Duke is going to stop him. He has been coming back from an injury, and so his numbers have been a bit lower recently. He also had a terrible game against Georgetown. But trust me, he is capable of dominating the post on both ends of the court. He can outmuscle McRoberts easily. Pitt is also an extremely good defensive team, and given Duke's inability to create shots and scoring opportunities, this isn't a good thing. Granted, Pitt may be a better draw for Duke than Texas A&M (Acie Law might go for 30 if that game happened) but given how Duke has fared recently against other big men (Costner, Hansbrough) the prospect of facing Aaron Gray is not one I would take lightly.

mph
03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
I'll be hoping to lose the pools I enter, but if we make it to the Sweet Sixteen, I think we'd better hope someone else took care of UCLA. They seem like exactly the sort of team with which we've struggled. Great guards.

UCLA over Kansas is a tough call, but I'll go with Afflala as the difference maker in the clutch.

Troublemaker
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is saying that a potential matchup against Pitt is a good thing for Duke. I've seen Pitt play numerous times, and if Aaron Gray brings his A game, nobody on Duke is going to stop him. He has been coming back from an injury, and so his numbers have been a bit lower recently. He also had a terrible game against Georgetown. But trust me, he is capable of dominating the post on both ends of the court. He can outmuscle McRoberts easily. Pitt is also an extremely good defensive team, and given Duke's inability to create shots and scoring opportunities, this isn't a good thing. Granted, Pitt may be a better draw for Duke than Texas A&M (Acie Law might go for 30 if that game happened) but given how Duke has fared recently against other big men (Costner, Hansbrough) the prospect of facing Aaron Gray is not one I would take lightly.

Consider the alternatives. Look at the matchups Duke would've had if we had received a 7 seed or 8 seed. What about the possibility that we could've drawn TAMU as our 3 seed? I think we should be thrilled with a 6 seed and drawing Pittsburgh.

duke03
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Consider the alternatives. Look at the matchups Duke would've had if we had received a 7 seed or 8 seed. What about the possibility that we could've drawn TAMU as our 3 seed? I think we should be thrilled with a 6 seed and drawing Pittsburgh.

Of course we're better off with a 6 seed (and 3 seed opponent) than a 7 or 8 (although I think we'd match up fairly well against Wisconsin, which is without Butch). What I was saying is that people seem to be discussing how they think that we can get past VCU and Pitt but will run into trouble against UCLA. I think that analysis is flawed. Pitt is not going to be an easy team to beat. If we face them, there is a better than 50% chance that we lose. I don't understand how someone can say "I think we can get past Pitt" without explaining why that's the case. The only ways that I see that happening are 1) Aaron Gray has a terrible game or 2) Nelson, Scheyer, Paulus or Henderson gets red-hot from three and knocks down about eight three-pointers.

Clipsfan
03-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Of course we're better off with a 6 seed (and 3 seed opponent) than a 7 or 8 (although I think we'd match up fairly well against Wisconsin, which is without Butch). What I was saying is that people seem to be discussing how they think that we can get past VCU and Pitt but will run into trouble against UCLA. I think that analysis is flawed. Pitt is not going to be an easy team to beat. If we face them, there is a better than 50% chance that we lose. I don't understand how someone can say "I think we can get past Pitt" without explaining why that's the case. The only ways that I see that happening are 1) Aaron Gray has a terrible game or 2) Nelson, Scheyer, Paulus or Henderson gets red-hot from three and knocks down about eight three-pointers.

I agree...Pitt did have the #4 RPI after all, so they've played a tough schedule and done relatively well against it. I don't know why everyone says that Pitt is a team we'll beat, but I do know why I think that we have a chance. Their offense is not likely to put up a ton of points, which means that our slightly anemic offense can stay in the game. Additionally, although Gray has been good, he hasn't dominated like people thought that he would this year. They don't have any dominant scorer who can take over the game and will them to victory (like Krauser used to try to do), so they match up well on that front as well (we don't have a go-to guy). Basically, other 3s look scarier (Texas A&M) and some 4s look scarier (Texas) so I think we're just happy to get Pitt. Let's just hope we get to that game!

Troublemaker
03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
What I was saying is that people seem to be discussing how they think that we can get past VCU and Pitt but will run into trouble against UCLA. I think that analysis is flawed. Pitt is not going to be an easy team to beat. If we face them, there is a better than 50% chance that we lose. I don't understand how someone can say "I think we can get past Pitt" without explaining why that's the case. The only ways that I see that happening are 1) Aaron Gray has a terrible game or 2) Nelson, Scheyer, Paulus or Henderson gets red-hot from three and knocks down about eight three-pointers.

I think there will be more Pitt analysis once both teams advance. I would consider Duke the (slight) favorite but first things first, VCU.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Is there any chance Wright State will beat Pitt? Stranger things have happened, and usually the 14/3 upsets are ones NOBODY picks.

heyman25
03-14-2007, 03:52 AM
Hope we can play Pitt. Guess who does color? The man whose jersey was first hung in Duke Indoor Stadium I think before they changed the name to Cameron.Baseball hall of famer Dick Groat:p

heyman25
03-14-2007, 03:53 AM
And Aaron Gray's uncle is Steve Gray from the 78 team:rolleyes: