PDA

View Full Version : A friendly request re: the women's team

gadzooks
01-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Rather than hijack every thread in which someone refers to the Duke women's basketball team as the "Lady Devils," I'll just do this here. Please, folks, the name of the team is the Blue Devils. Yes, that's the same name as the men's team, but I think we're all intelligent enough to be able to figure out which team is being talked about.

The #1 reason to call the women's team the Blue Devils is simply because that is the name of the team. I understand that a lot of women aren't offended by the "Lady" designation--the Tennessee Lady Vols seem to be perfectly fine with it--and that people who do use that name for the team don't intend to be insulting, but there is no team at Duke called the "Lady Devils." Insisting on using the wrong name for the team is a little bit like going to your acquaintance named John and saying, "There are too many guys named John, and I find it confusing, so I'm going to call you Manfred instead." At the least, it's odd, and at worst it's disrespectful. Just use the right name, OK? If you have to say "Blue Devil men" or "Blue Devil women" to make it clear, is that really so hard?

Now, here's the more contentious part, but please bear with me. Many schools have dropped the "Lady" designation for their women's teams because it's sexist. This fellow does a better job than I could in explaining why; it's long, but I think it's a very worthwhile read: If “lady doctor” is sexist-passé, why are “lady” athletes OK? (http://amerikanbeat.net/2007/09/18/if-lady-doctor-is-sexist-passe-why-are-lady-athletes-ok/) I realize that it strays into larger issues of gender and respect that are really not within the scope of this forum (though if anyone wants to have that discussion elsewhere, I'm down with that), but I encourage all to just give it some thought.

And I totally don't want to get into the peeing match about how much money the men's team makes vs. how much the women's team loses, or how many people attend men's vs. women's games, because that is entirely not the point. The women shouldn't have to rake in the bucks to be worthy of respect.

I'm not some crazy PC uber-feminist or anything, not trying to make anybody feel bad, not trying to be any kind of language police here, I'm just sayin'. So, in conclusion, let me just say, GO BLUE DEVILS!

jjasper0729
01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
i'm not a crazy uber-pc person either, but you are correct, as the PA announcer for women's games from 1993-1996, it is not "Lady" Devils. Just Duke Blue Devils

wumhenry
01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
not trying to be any kind of language police here
Gee, you coulda fooled me! :rolleyes:

UncleBill
01-19-2008, 06:17 PM
So Sheldon William and Allison Bailes are cool, too? No, they are erroneous. And the "language police" around here let the guilty parties know when they are wrong. It is calling Duke players and Duke teams by the correct name. Tyler Hanswalker who plays for the Tar Holes is a different story, though.

Bluedawg
01-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Please, folks, the name of the team is the Blue Devils. Yes, that's the same name as the men's team, but I think we're all intelligent enough to be able to figure out which team is being talked about.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've been indisposed over the past week and a half and have not been able to keep up.

I wanted to second your comment. I cringe when I hear "lady devils" and don't see why we can't just acknowledge them as Blue Devils. I view it as an attempt to categorize them and keep them a step below the men's program. Having followed these athletes over the past few years I know that is unfair to them as people and as athletes.

Plus, with the number of men who turn out to watch their games and support them I'd venture to say that the male athletes would your comments.

Indoor66
01-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've been indisposed over the past week and a half and have not been able to keep up.

I wanted to second your comment. I cringe when I hear "lady devils" and don't see why we can't just acknowledge them as Blue Devils. I view it as an attempt to categorize them and keep them a step below the men's program. Having followed these athletes over the past few years I know that is unfair to them as people and as athletes.

Plus, with the number of men who turn out to watch their games and support them I'd venture to say that the male athletes would your comments.

I don't use Lady Devils but I do correspond with some less rabid fans about games being on TV and results, etc. and find that I have to differentiate between two Blue Devil BB teams. I use Women and Men to distinguish. I can understand the simplicity of using Lady Devils to make that distinction.

alteran
01-24-2008, 10:09 AM

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, whatever.

One thing that bothers me is that I know I've heard this on the radio/TV a few times recently. It seems to be catching on.

It'd be nice to nip it in the bud.

jjasper0729
01-24-2008, 10:19 AM
I know Gail was adamant that they were NOT the "Lady Devils" just Blue Devils. It's entirely possible that Coach P is more okay with it than Gail was. I do know that it's not what they are. They are the Duke Blue Devils (not like the Tennessee Lady Vols).

Bluedawg
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't use Lady Devils but I do correspond with some less rabid fans about games being on TV and results, etc. and find that I have to differentiate between two Blue Devil BB teams. I use Women and Men to distinguish. I can understand the simplicity of using Lady Devils to make that distinction.

I usually say "Men's team" or "Women's team" to differentiate

ohioguy2
01-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I remember being in Durham several years ago to watch Duke v Penn State--I told a friend who was with us that I would not want my daughter playing for the LADY Lions. My daughter agreed.