PDA

View Full Version : Weather update

jimsumner
01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Could be a problem Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.wral.com/weather/story/2321442/

jjasper0729
01-18-2008, 12:56 PM
yeah... kinda hoping it isn't so my wife doesn't make me miss the game saturday night

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Two to four inches of show! You people who live in Southern states crack me up. Quick, to Food Lion! There's a run on milk!

Carlos
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
hurley - there's a difference between driving in the snow in the South and driving in the snow in the North where road crews have more plows and salt trucks to handle the situation.

Stray Gator
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
So much for my plans to fly up tomorrow morning for the Clemson game. :(

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 01:10 PM
It was 9 degrees (F) this morning. I still walked to work. Don't forget batteries, BTW.

Clipsfan
01-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I thought that this thread was going to be another 9F...

allenmurray
01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Two to four inches of show! You people who live in Southern states crack me up. Quick, to Food Lion! There's a run on milk!

I was talking to my sister-in-law once, who lives in central Massachusetts. School was closed here in Durham due to about 1 inch of snow. She was bragging about how they go to school with 2 feet of sonw, blah, blah, blah . . . My response? "You go to work when there is two feet of snow and it is -7 degrees outside. When we get even an inch we stay home, rent movies, drink hot chocolate, and play with the kids. And you think you have the better system?

Clipsfan
01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
I was talking to my sister-in-law once, who lives in central Massachusetts. School was closed here in Durham due to about 1 inch of snow. She was bragging about how they go to school with 2 feet of sonw, blah, blah, blah . . . My response? "You go to work when there is two feet of snow and it is -7 degrees outside. When we get even an inch we stay home, rent movies, drink hot chocolate, and play with the kids. And you think you have the better system?

You'd love Los Angeles then...we stay home if it rains too hard.

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Don't forget bread. You're gonna run out of bread too.

I have climbed mountains in far worse weather than anything Chicago is getting today or NC is getting tomorrow.

DukieInKansas
01-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Where do snow shovels go over the summer? Every year, when the first snow is predicted around here, and it actually arrives, there is a run on snow shovels. I can't believe there are that many new residents in the area that would cause such a run that stores are out of shovels. Do people throw them out at the end of winter thinking they won't use them again?

I hope the weather stays nice enough for people to get to the game. When I was attending the games, we always played well in the snow.

jimsumner
01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
RE: snow and the South. Carlos makes the key point here. If it snows 20,
30, 40 inches every single winter, then you're darn well going to have the best snow removal equipment available and lots of it.

If it averages a few inches a year, then it become more problematic. Budgets are tight, there are a lot of demands for services, and this stuff is expensive. So it's not realistic to expect Raleigh or Durham or any other southern city to have as much snow removal equipment as Buffalo or Minneapolis or Colorado Springs. So when that two inches of snow stays on the road, gets crunched down into compacted ice, and folks start sliding into ditches, then you stay home with that hot chocolate Allen is talking about.

Tappan Zee Devil
01-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I have climbed mountains in far worse weather than anything Chicago is getting today or NC is getting tomorrow.

I grew up in upstate New York where I had to walk a mile to the school bus stop through a foot of snow in driving wind carrying a 40 lb backback and a saxophone - uphill both ways!

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 01:39 PM
People, just admit you're weather wimps.

And remember beer.

DukieInKansas
01-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Besides, it is more difficult to clear the snow when Georgia, South Carolina, and eastern North Carolina have to share the snow plow that they jointly own. :D

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
So when that two inches of snow stays on the road, gets crunched down into compacted ice.

Wrong, that's not what snow does in the south. It melts the next day, or more likely that afternoon. Geez, you people think you can fool me. You want to see snow compacted into ice, try walking on the sidewalks up here when it hasn't been above freezing in two weeks.

jjasper0729
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM

RIGHT ON!

I was in Kalamazoo, Michigan last week and they were talking about how they got a couple of feet of snow like it was nothing. my reply was that there is a very good reason i live in the south

GMR
01-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I live just north of San Diego, after having lived in the midwest most of my life, so I've seen both sides of the coin, too. Where I now live, we don't even need a hard rain to get weather warnings about flooding, and not driving on the wet, slick roads.. just a moderate, easy rain throws the whole community into a tizzy.

GMR

mehmattski
01-18-2008, 01:50 PM
As a self-aware carpetbagger, born and raised in rural New Jersey, I say I must at once agree with hurleyfor3 on how funny it is for people in the south to freak out about a couple inches in the snow. That said, and even with years of snow-driving behind me, I absolutely will not leave my apartment until all the snow/ice has melted off the roads, because I am terrified of North Carolina drivers when there's snow on the roads. In fact, if the snow starts to fall after the Clemson game, I may be scared to walk on Towerview back to my apartment...

I do, however, need to go to the store today. Hopefully not many people have seen a weather forecast and don't see any warning in today's weather (high 40s, blue sky).

dyedwab
01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Wrong, that's not what snow does in the south. It melts the next day, or more likely that afternoon. Geez, you people think you can fool me. You want to see snow compacted into ice, try walking on the sidewalks up here when it hasn't been above freezing in two weeks.

My freshman year at Duke (1987-88), we got a snowstorm on the first day of classes 2nd semester. For a Jersey boy, it was interesting to see how little snow equipment actually existed, and because of a nice cold snap, the roads stayed icy for 2 weeks. I'm gonna say that I think Wake County schools were out for almost two weeks because of it.

Besides, I live in Washington, where we panic over an inch or two, even though it actually snows here pretty regularly.

Bringing this back to hoops, I recall a game against State during that era when it snowed as we were waiting in line to get into the game. Cameron got so hot that late in the game, all the moisture that we had brought it had condensed on the rafters, and we were treated to a bit of "rain" indoors

Good times

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-18-2008, 01:57 PM

Did you voluntarily choose to live in the Chicago area?

My sister lives in Downers Grove so I hear about how you folk deal with snow. The snow which falls here is a heavier, wetter snow than you typically get in the Chicago area. From what I observed there on visits, the people in the Chicago area have just as much trouble navigating ice as the rest of us ..... and I seem to recall that OHare has a large inventory of folding cots for special occasions when weather holds passengers hostage.

A couple of classmates from Duke live in Naperville. They've talked about having so much snow that the dog had to poop on top of the grill in the back yard. To each his own!

The best news about the snow is that Duke traditionally plays well when there's snow.

jimsumner
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
"Wrong, that's not what snow does in the south. It melts the next day, or more likely that afternoon."

We haven't had a lot of snow here recently. But a lot of the ones we've had have been followed by hard freezes. The night after our record 22" snowfall in January 2000, the temp dropped to about 2F and that stuff didn't melt for weeks. Literally weeks.

FWIW, it's supposed to be 14 Sunday A.M. with a high around 30. So, if we do get substantial snowfall, it might be around a few days at least. So in addition to the men's game v. Clemson Saturday night, it could impact the women's game v. NCSU Sunday afternoon. Two for one, if you will.

Saratoga2
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM

That's a flurry in upstate NY.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2008, 02:04 PM

Actually, tomorrow's snow will stick around for a few days. The forecast low for Saturday night is mid teens, high Sunday of 30 and then a low of 10 on Sunday night. No melting of anything until at least Monday or Tuesday.

I'm planning on getting to Durham early tomorrow. If I have to crash somewhere on campus tomorrow night, so be it. Maybe even K'ville! Oh, wait, it'll be 14 degrees tomorrow night. I'll pass on K'ville, and I'm sure almost all of the natives will too.

jimsumner
01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
A prediction of 2-4 inches means it will either be 50 degrees and sunny or we'll get a foot.

As a life-long southerner, I actually kind of like snow if three conditions are met.

1.Not too much.
2.Doesn't stick around too long.
3.No place I want to drive

Unfortunately, number three doesn't apply this weekend so I'm rooting for 50 and sunny.

DukieInKansas
01-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Does food services still put out the old trays when snow is forecast so that the newer trays aren't taken out on the hills?

I still have the one I took - unfortunately, no Duke logo on it. :)

365Duke
01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
People, just admit you're weather wimps.

And remember beer.

Uh. We never forget something like that:D

Just you wait until it's 97 and 100% humidity your way and see how wimpy you are;)

Cavlaw
01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
It was 9 degrees (F) this morning. I still walked to work. Don't forget batteries, BTW.
It was 9 this morning? That explains the people huddling under the heat lamp at the Wellington station.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Anybody remember the home game against Virginia during the Gminski era when there came a big surprise snow during the game? Everybody walked out of Cameron in shock. The parking lots were filled with big mounds of snow that gave no hints as to which cars were underneath which ones!

The professor made me sit in the back end of the station wagon for ballast in our attempt to get up the slight incline to the turn onto 15-501.

It had been a close game we pulled out at the end or the slippery ride home would have been truly exasperating!
Love, Ima

hurleyfor3
It was 9 this morning? That explains the people huddling under the heat lamp at the Wellington station.

Yep. 9 at 7am. It's supposed to go below zero Saturday night.

http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KORD.html

Wellington was "my" L station before I moved to the Gold Coast. I usually biked to work back then, actually.

jjasper0729
A prediction of 2-4 inches means it will either be 50 degrees and sunny or we'll get a foot.

As a life-long southerner, I actually kind of like snow if three conditions are met.

1.Not too much.
2.Doesn't stick around too long.
3.No place I want to drive

Unfortunately, number three doesn't apply this weekend so I'm rooting for 50 and sunny.

if i'm not mistaken, jim, the last time they said 2-3 inches was when we got 23 inches... i wasn't liking it then... but it was better than that ice storm in 2002 for sure.

elvis14
01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
A couple of comments:

First, you do realize that this is a Duke forum and that Duke is in Durham, right? We don't need to hear your crap about our lack of heavy equipment to clear the roads.
Talking with a friend yesterday after crews were out the night before treating the roads with some stuff to prevent the roads iceing over. He brought up the fact that Durham had one truck for this. One.
Speaking of ice, that's the problem down here. Yes, we get some snow and then it gets up to 40 the next day and it melts some during the day. Then it freezes over HARD at night on the roads. The next day it gets to a high of 40 the so some of the ice melts then it refreezes at night again! We don't have a bunch of equipment to clear it. So before you brag about walking to work in the cold, remember that we choose to live here and like the fact that it snows so little that we only have to worry about it a few days a year. When it does show up, yes people do tend to stock the cupboard. Why? Because they are likely to not be able to drive on covered (not snow, ice) roads for a couple of days. And we have been in that situation in the past.
A friend of mine from NY got out of his car one day in a parking lot. Looked down, stomped on the ice cap (about 4 days after is snowed) and said that in 20 years in NY he never saw anything like this. I explained to him about the melt/refreeze cycle :D
It's 15 miles from my house in the suburbs to my office. I don't care what the temperature is, I'm not walking that.
I don't own a snow shovel, a snow blower or anything else designed to clear snow from a drive, yard, sidewalk. This makes me happy!
If anyone is worried about the weather tomorrow and don't want to risk going to CIS for the game, please let me know so I can come by and purchase a ticket from you on my way to the game :D

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 02:17 PM
FWIW, it's supposed to be 14 Sunday A.M. with a high around 30.

If it's sunny, it'll still melt. Also, checking Raleigh temperatures the past few days, the ground won't be frozen, which makes a big difference in how much sticks in the first place.

You people have no idea how snow works, do you.

blazindw
01-18-2008, 02:18 PM
First, a couple snow stories from the great state of Michigan:
1. My first ever campout in the woods, the morning low was -20. There was ice on the inside of mine and my dad's sleeping bags from the condensation from our breaths freezing. Water didn't fall to the ground as ice, but it was slushy.

2. In high school outside Detroit, there was a 2-day blizzard that dropped 7 feet of snow. 7. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 FEET! We only missed school for one day while they cleared the road (partly because of what we called the Headmaster Rule, where if he could walk from his house on the high school campus to the front doors, we can certainly drive to school) and went to school on the 2nd day of the blizzard. Roads were clear and traffic flowed.

When's the last time that it didn't snow in North Carolina? It's snowed there at least once since the year before I arrived (where there was a blizzard that people still talk about). It's not too much to ask that they learn how to do minor things that will help make the roads a lot safer and that anyone who's ever lived in the north would assume is common knowledge.

A. ROCK SALT. Not sand.
B. In the fall, trim the tree branches around the power lines. This way, when there's an ice storm, branches do not fall off onto the power lines and knock out power (a common problem during the '02 Ice Storm)
C. How many people in the South have pickups? You don't need massive trucks to clear streets. More than half of the roads in Michigan are cleared by average Joes with a pickup truck and a shovel attached to the grill.
D. When the first inch falls, you start clearing the roads. Then you come back every few hours if it's a major snowstorm. You don't wait for the storm to pass and then clear. Saves a lot of grief and prevents people from attempting to drive on fresh snow and compacting it into ice. And again, you use rock salt to help melt the snow and make it easier for cars to gain traction, not sand that can also freeze and become slippery and damages paint on the bottom of cars.

I will still be driving to Durham tomorrow with my roommate. In a Hummer. Old Man Winter will not harm me ;)

dukepsy1963
01-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Warm/mild weather in general (especially winters)
Beaches
Barbeque

...etc.

Plus, we get to stay home when there is even a hint of snow....:)

Can't beat it!!!!

365Duke
01-18-2008, 02:24 PM
C. How many people in the South have pickups? You don't need massive trucks to clear streets. More than half of the roads in Michigan are cleared by average Joes with a pickup truck and a shovel attached to the grill.

I don't have a pickup, will this do?:D

http://www.laidbackracing.com/PhotoRecaps/1BMS06/snowplow.jpg

dukepsy1963
01-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Michigan has the greatest outmigration of any state. I could be wrong but I think that is right... Wonder if has anything to do with those "harsh" winters..

blazindw
01-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Michigan has the greatest outmigration of any state. I could be wrong but I think that is right... Wonder if has anything to do with those "harsh" winters..

No, that's the lack of jobs and the rising number of foreclosure because of said lack of jobs.

Devil in the Blue Dress
Anybody remember the home game against Virginia during the Gminski era when there came a big surprise snow during the game? Everybody walked out of Cameron in shock. The parking lots were filled with big mounds of snow that gave no hints as to which cars were underneath which ones!

The professor made me sit in the back end of the station wagon for ballast in our attempt to get up the slight incline to the turn onto 15-501.

It had been a close game we pulled out at the end or the slippery ride home would have been truly exasperating!
Love, Ima
I posted a little story about that game as my contribution to the pre-game thread for the Virginia game. The game was on February 6, 1979.

Some inside Cameron were aware that snow was possible. (I was a school principal in Durham then and had to keep up with such events.) There was an announcement about snow falling before the tip off. A big cheer went up and the game began in earnest. People who went outside at the half came back inside talking about how much it was snowing.

People at the game were unaware or unconcerned about the snow outside because the game was SO close. Our team had lost to Virginia by a big margin when they played in Charlottesville earlier in the season. Our fans wanted a victory.... which we got ... by one point. The biggest surprise was that there was no one to direct traffic leaving the campus at all. Some who parked on the football concourse had to make multiple tries to get up the grade to leave via the West Gate, each slide and new attempt making it more difficult for the next car to try. The ride home was about four times longer than usual. I made it because I had a straight gear car and took a route which avoided hills and bridges. My sister was pregnant with my nephew. Not a good night for a pregnant woman to be out riding and sliding! What a night!!!!!

blazindw
I don't have a pickup, will this do?:D

http://www.laidbackracing.com/PhotoRecaps/1BMS06/snowplow.jpg

Does it have 4-wheel drive? ;)

allenmurray
01-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Yes we do.

It snows.
We go to the grocery store and buy goodies.
We rent a few movies while we are out.
We stay home from school or work and play with the kids and dog.
We think to ourselves, "wow - there are people who live up in the frozen north, who talk about what he-men they are because they can do anything in the snow. Really, they are just jealous".
We recognize that we are smart for living here.

throatybeard
01-18-2008, 02:45 PM
This whole thing is amazingly pathetic. I've spent my entire life in the South save the last five months. If you can't drive in 2 inches of snow, you're just a sorry driver. It's very simple. Slow down a little and don't fall in love with the brakes. The way people act with snow is pathetic.

Ice, now ice is a whole nother bag of fish, one with which we've actually got more experience than Yankees. You don't screw with ice.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-18-2008, 02:45 PM
If it's sunny, it'll still melt. Also, checking Raleigh temperatures the past few days, the ground won't be frozen, which makes a big difference in how much sticks in the first place.

This discussion about the superiority of the way of life in the Chicago area reminds me of two things about Chicago .... a city I truly love to visit.
(1) "Vote early and vote often" is a concept of democracy in action.
(2) Your mail could end up under a bridge.

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
This discussion about the superiority of the way of life in the Chicago area reminds me of two things about Chicago .... a city I truly love to visit.
(1) "Vote early and vote often" is a concept of democracy in action.
(2) Your mail could end up under a bridge.

These two things are, in fact, related. Mail here ends up at the bottom of the Chicago River, which is where you'll also find thousands of 1960 election ballots from Republican precincts.

My two least favorite months for living here are not January and February, but March and April. These are spring months in the South, but still winter here.

jimsumner
01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
"If you can't drive in 2 inches of snow, you're just a sorry driver."

Perhaps. But even if one is a great driver in the snow, it doesn't do any good if you're on the road with people who can't drive in the snow. All it takes is one fender-bender and I-40 comes to a screeching halt.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-18-2008, 03:06 PM
These two things are, in fact, related. Mail here ends up at the bottom of the Chicago River, which is where you'll also find thousands of 1960 election ballots from Republican precincts.

My two least favorite months for living here are not January and February, but March and April. These are spring months in the South, but still winter here.

Yes, I'm aware of the two being related.... a good Duke education including the study of political science does have some value!

I would also observe that it's interesting and unfortunate how many more negative stereotypes there are of the south than other regions of the country.

Jumbo
01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
hurley - there's a difference between driving in the snow in the South and driving in the snow in the North where road crews have more plows and salt trucks to handle the situation.

Eh, you're still pansies. ;)

chris13
01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Hurley,

You remind me of one of my favorite Triangle bumper stickers:

"I don't care how you did it up North."

Nittany Devil
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
If you can't drive in 2 inches of snow, you're just a sorry driver.

Not all 2-inch snowfalls are created equal. I live in central PA, which averages over 40 inches of snow a year, so we are pretty good with snow removal. Yesterday we got a couple of inches of snow. It was fairly mild and the snow was coming down fairly gently, so the snow had little impact on my day. There still were some slick spots on the roads, but it wasn't bad. A few years ago I thought I was going to die or at least crash in a 2-inch snowfall. There were no warnings or advisories because the total snowfall was no big deal here. The difference is that the snow was coming down hard for a relatively short time, and the temperature was about 20 degrees. Visibility was poor and the snow was not melting on the roads. (It didn't help that I was driving through the so-called mountains around here at the time.)

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention that temperature and snowfall rate have a big impact on driving conditions, even on heavily salted roads. It seems like low temperatures won't be an issue in NC on Saturday, but I guess you'll have to see if the snow comes down in a hurry or not.

Carlos
01-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Eh, you're still pansies. ;)

Pansies... I got chucks of guys like you in my stool.

Cavlaw
01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
My brother and his family live in Raleigh now. I'm reminded of a story from a few winters ago. My sister-in-law was driving after a snowstorm, and had to go down a very small hill. The neighbors were out and shouting at her that it wasn't safe because there was ice. She told them she could handle it, and began to head down the slope, properly turning into the slide where necessary. The native southern neighbor, seeing but not understanding the slide, actually ran out and attempted to jump in front of her SUV to grab hold of it as though he might somehow "save" her from the ice.

This of course almost got him killed, and made navigating the hill (and avoiding crushing him as she rolled past) a great deal more difficult for her. The neighbor and his wife then actually started yelling at her that she would surely crash and they would call the police.

Naturally she arrived safe and sound at the bottom of the hill moments later.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Not all 2-inch snowfalls are created equal. I live in central PA, which averages over 40 inches of snow a year, so we are pretty good with snow removal. Yesterday we got a couple of inches of snow. It was fairly mild and the snow was coming down fairly gently, so the snow had little impact on my day. There still were some slick spots on the roads, but it wasn't bad. A few years ago I thought I was going to die or at least crash in a 2-inch snowfall. There were no warnings or advisories because the total snowfall was no big deal here. The difference is that the snow was coming down hard for a relatively short time, and the temperature was about 20 degrees. Visibility was poor and the snow was not melting on the roads. (It didn't help that I was driving through the so-called mountains around here at the time.)

Anyhow, just thought I'd mention that temperature and snowfall rate have a big impact on driving conditions, even on heavily salted roads. It seems like low temperatures won't be an issue in NC on Saturday, but I guess you'll have to see if the snow comes down in a hurry or not.
The type fo snow seems to make a difference, too. Dry snow is easier to deal with than wet snow. Dry snow is common in the regions of the country where many of our experts reside. Wet snow is more common in warmer regions.

DukieInKansas
01-18-2008, 03:46 PM
It's all in what you get used to regardng snow/cold. My cousin in the Oswego NY area laughs at my snow questions because I can't fathom snow piled so high around the roads that you feel like you are driving in a tunnel. (A benefit that I see from this is that the shoulders are very wide on the roadways and make for great bicycling!) They also get the joy of having to shovel their roofs. The snow gets cleared to a field in town and they have a contest to see who can guess when the last of the pile will melt.

Around here, people stock up at the grocery store as if they will be trapped for days in their houses when a winter storm is forecast. I can't figure that out because it's not like people typically get trapped in their houses due to snow and run out of food. We are fortunate to get enough snow to warrant quite a bit of snow removal equipment around the area.

However, along with losing snow shovels, people seem to have to re-learn how to drive in snow when it snows for the first time each year. If the snowfalls are bunched together, then one re-learning day seems to work. If it snows in November and then not again until February, they have to re-learn all over again. It is entertaining to watch and makes me glad I have a very short commute to work.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
It's all in what you get used to regardng snow/cold.

However, along with losing snow shovels, people seem to have to re-learn how to drive in snow when it snows for the first time each year. If the snowfalls are bunched together, then one re-learning day seems to work. If it snows in November and then not again until February, they have to re-learn all over again. It is entertaining to watch and makes me glad I have a very short commute to work.

My sister says the same thing about her experiences with snow in the Chicago area.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Raleigh will have 60 to 70 snow plows ready to roll in Raleigh and Wake County. They been serviced and tested, and the drivers have done a "dry run" on the routes they'll drive tomorrow. They have already sprayed the major roads with a salt brine solution.

Sounds like we're in as good a shape for this event as possible. The weather folks just don't know exactly what track the storm will take, so the rain/snow line is unknown.

3rd Dukie
01-18-2008, 05:13 PM

I guess if we wanted to do all that, we might choose to live there. Pardon me, but I don't see any stampede, tough guy!

What's causing all your excitement? Snowbound? In Chicago? God, just shoot me!

Indoor66
01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Darn, it's 77° here at 5:20 PM. What's the problem?

devil84
01-18-2008, 05:32 PM
When's the last time that it didn't snow in North Carolina? It's snowed there at least once since the year before I arrived (where there was a blizzard that people still talk about). It's not too much to ask that they learn how to do minor things that will help make the roads a lot safer and that anyone who's ever lived in the north would assume is common knowledge.

I live in Cary. My daughter is 19, and has been driving since she got her permit at age 15. She has never had a chance to drive in snow. The snowfalls have not lasted long enough for her to get a chance -- we're waiting to take her (and now her brother) out to a snow covered vacant parking lot to learn about slipping and sliding. So, if the entire population of those 19 and under in the state has never had the ability to drive in snow, I'm trying to figure out how we can get them experience... (the news just confirmed it: the last snow was '03-04, with several ice storms since.)

Between the youngest drivers having no experience in the snow, and the macho transplants who "know" how to drive in snow, I'm perfectly content to close the city. The youngsters are kept safely at home, and the transplants can be safely towed out of the ditches. Northern climes don't generally have a layer of ice underneath the snow, or slush, slippery, wet snow because it's barely freezing outside. And they have curbs to bounce you back into play should there actually be an unplowed area. Welcome to the South, y'all. When we talk about "black ice" and y'all say, "what's that?" do us all a favor and don't assume that your knowledge of nice, dry snow and plowed roads with plenty of salt (and curbs) and your 4 wheel drive megalith of an SUV will handle the southern version of snow/ice with ease. We'll stay home and enjoy the mental health day, and watch the live feed of all y'all being pulled out of the ditches.

I lived for 10 years in Dayton, Ohio as an adult. I'll drive in snow there ANY day. It's different -- less slick. And plowed. Down here? A different story..

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I guess if we wanted to do all that, we might choose to live there. Pardon me, but I don't see any stampede, tough guy!

What's causing all your excitement? Snowbound? In Chicago? God, just shoot me!

It's just funny watching how defensive you folks get and how you won't admit to being the weather wimps you are.

Some of you may be surprised to know I attended Duke as a North Carolina resident and spend a week or so in the NC mountains (you know, the part of the state that's pretty used to snow) every winter.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Down here? A different story..

Interestingly enough, the highest percentage of vehicles pulled out of ditches in Colorado during/after snow storms are 4 wheel drive pickup trucks and SUVs.

Wander
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
You know why people say Duke fans are nerds? This thread is why.

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Come on, four-page threads about the weather are fun. Or would you rather see a four-page thread about some school that's not supposed to be our rival?

DukePA
01-18-2008, 06:18 PM
It's just funny watching how defensive you folks get and how you won't admit to being the weather wimps you are.

Some of you may be surprised to know I attended Duke as a North Carolina resident and spend a week or so in the NC mountains (you know, the part of the state that's pretty used to snow) every winter.

I grew up in NC and spent 13 years in Northbrook, IL from '89 to '03. I loved the snow and had no problem driving in it up there given the excellent road clearing and flat terrain. I handle the snow in NC just fine as long as the roads don't become ice skating rinks. I'm no weather wimp but I do love having an excuse to hibernate and have winter holiday. It seems to me that Chicagoans drive much better in the snow than in the rain. I have never understood that. I'll happily take a snow day here and enjoy it, although I don't think the white stuff is going to make to Emerald Isle :(
GO DUKE!!!

blazindw
01-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I live in Cary. My daughter is 19, and has been driving since she got her permit at age 15. She has never had a chance to drive in snow. The snowfalls have not lasted long enough for her to get a chance -- we're waiting to take her (and now her brother) out to a snow covered vacant parking lot to learn about slipping and sliding. So, if the entire population of those 19 and under in the state has never had the ability to drive in snow, I'm trying to figure out how we can get them experience... (the news just confirmed it: the last snow was '03-04, with several ice storms since.)

Between the youngest drivers having no experience in the snow, and the macho transplants who "know" how to drive in snow, I'm perfectly content to close the city. The youngsters are kept safely at home, and the transplants can be safely towed out of the ditches. Northern climes don't generally have a layer of ice underneath the snow, or slush, slippery, wet snow because it's barely freezing outside. And they have curbs to bounce you back into play should there actually be an unplowed area. Welcome to the South, y'all. When we talk about "black ice" and y'all say, "what's that?" do us all a favor and don't assume that your knowledge of nice, dry snow and plowed roads with plenty of salt (and curbs) and your 4 wheel drive megalith of an SUV will handle the southern version of snow/ice with ease. We'll stay home and enjoy the mental health day, and watch the live feed of all y'all being pulled out of the ditches.

I lived for 10 years in Dayton, Ohio as an adult. I'll drive in snow there ANY day. It's different -- less slick. And plowed. Down here? A different story..

I learned about black ice when I was 5 years old and slipped running across the street to get some snow for my fort. I learned from that bump.

cbarry
01-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I live in Morrisville, and plan to make the 20-mile drive Saturday night to the Duke-Clemson game. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone selling an extra ticket in snowy weather! I usually don't have too much trouble when the weather is good.

Indoor66
01-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Interestingly enough, the highest percentage of vehicles pulled out of ditches in Colorado during/after snow storms are 4 wheel drive pickup trucks and SUVs.

Maybe because that is the highest percentage of vehicles on the road in the snow out there???? :D

cbarry
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Maybe because that is the highest percentage of vehicles on the road in the snow out there???? :D
Or because the drivers of these vehicles have a false sense of security and don't drive as safely as they should!

Indoor66
01-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Or because the drivers of these vehicles have a false sense of security and don't drive as safely as they should!

Maybe a little of both....:rolleyes:

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-18-2008, 09:02 PM
And your point is......

77devil
01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Wrong, that's not what snow does in the south. It melts the next day, or more likely that afternoon.

Not always. When I came back to school in January of freshman year a few inches on snow had compacted and frozen solid on the roads and the Durham schools were closed for a week. I don't think Durham County had any snow removal equipment back then.

weezie
01-18-2008, 09:37 PM

Never mind the milk. Just make sure there's enough beer in the fridge.

hurleyfor3
01-18-2008, 10:11 PM
And your point is......

You're the one who referred to others with "negative stereotypes of the South." I still find a lot of reasons to go back. But you're still wimps.

Hurley2Hill
01-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Duke fans are arrogant, southerners can't drive in the snow, it's just another day in paradise...:D

Seriously though, I have lived here all my life and snow has never affected my driving. I drove to the Wake/Miami game in WS a couple years ago in the middle of a pretty intense snowstorm. I was literally the only car on the interstate for miles...that i could see, anyway. :cool:

"I used to drive 90 minutes in a snowstorm to see two mediocre teams play, and I was thankful for the opportunity and I LIKED it!"

devildeac
01-19-2008, 08:31 AM

and bread and water and DVDs.

hughgs
01-19-2008, 09:09 AM
and bread and water and DVDs.

I finally figured out why there's always a run on milk before snow storms. It snows, you're trapped inside the house, and your two year wants some milk. Try explaining to him that the ice won't allow you to get to the store and get more!

jimsumner
01-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Update.

It's about 40 degrees, steady but moderate rain. Still expected to turn to snow later on but with an accumulation of a mushy inch or so.

DukeDevilDeb
01-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I grew up in NC and spent 13 years in Northbrook, IL from '89 to '03. I loved the snow and had no problem driving in it up there given the excellent road clearing and flat terrain. I handle the snow in NC just fine as long as the roads don't become ice skating rinks. I'm no weather wimp but I do love having an excuse to hibernate and have winter holiday. It seems to me that Chicagoans drive much better in the snow than in the rain. I have never understood that. I'll happily take a snow day here and enjoy it, although I don't think the white stuff is going to make to Emerald Isle :(
GO DUKE!!!

Hey, I grew up in Glencoe and taught at Highland Park High School. And there IS something different about driving in snow up there and down here. I totally agree with the ice comment... give me 10 inches of snow over any ice at all.

The forecast seems to be changing by the minute. The last time I looked at weather.com, it seemed as though the hit that Durham would take would be less intense!

Karl Beem
01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
It's sticking in Atlanta.:eek:

EarlJam
01-19-2008, 11:58 AM
It's sticking in Atlanta.:eek:

Like a MUG! And no signs of ending soon.

I think Wilson's in Kentucky, but he is a fellow snow lover. Wilson, if you're out there, CHEERS!

Temps are also dropping. It was 39 degrees a couple of hours ago. Now it's 33.

So cool.

-EarlJam

Olympic Fan
01-19-2008, 12:10 PM
It's amazing how this event seems to be fizzling -- at least here in Durham.

When I first saw the snow forecast Thursday night, they had a 6-12" belt just south and east of Raleigh. Durham was smack in the middle of the 3-6" belt.

Friday night, the 6-12" belt was gone and Durham was barely on the edge between the 1-3" and 3-6" belt..

This morning (the latest snow forecast at 11:30 a.m.) the 3-6" belt is gone and now the meat of the snowfall is predicted at 1-3"-- again south and east of Raleigh. Durham is now right on the fringe of the trace-1" belt.

One more piece of good news. According to the national weather service, the temperature is not supposed to fall to freezing until approximately 10 p.m. -- which means that with the warm weather we had yesterday (and warm ground), whatever falls is likely to remain slush and not turn to ice until very late tonight or early tomorrow (although VERY cold weather expected Sunday).

For those of you out of towners wondering whether to risk the trip to Durham, I live three miles from Cameron and as I type this at noon, we've only had a very few sprinkles this morning. It's not raining now and I haven't seen a snowflake.

As I type this now

allenmurray
01-19-2008, 12:20 PM
You're the one who referred to others with "negative stereotypes of the South." I still find a lot of reasons to go back. But you're still wimps.

It is certainly possible to have spent a few years in the South and still harbor negative stereotypes. Case in point - this Hurleyfor3 guy.

DevilAlumna
01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
I just hope folks heading into and out of the Duke/Clemson game take care if the weather does turn for the worse! We don't need any stories of accidents and road rage between ACC fans. ;)

Is this precipitation doing anything to help ease the drought/water restrictions in either NC or GA?

DukeDevilDeb
01-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Unfortunately, not much. We need about 4 months of steady, fairly hard rain to get the relief we need. I can't remember what one inch of snow equals in terms of rain, but it is far less than 1 inch of rain.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Karl Beem
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately, not much. We need about 4 months of steady, fairly hard rain to get the relief we need. I can't remember what one inch of snow equals in terms of rain, but it is far less than 1 inch of rain.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

10 to 1?

jjasper0729
01-19-2008, 02:47 PM
think i remember 10 inches of snow = 1 inch of rain... what karl beem said

gadzooks
01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
10 to 1?Yup. (http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/346/)

jimsumner
01-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, there are big, white, fluffy snowflakes coming down in West Raleigh. But it's 35 degrees so nothing's accumulating. Temps are dropping, however, so we might end up with an inch or two.