PDA

View Full Version : If you think the FSU game was physical

rthomas
01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Wait until tomorrow. Clemson has some big bodies. And they play rough.

Chard
01-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, so what is the strategy to defeat this style of play? Spread the floor on offense and drive the open lanes or kick to the open shot? Create mismatches with Singler or King? On defense, pressure the ball handler before they get the ball to the bigger interior players? Collapse on the ball when it does enter the paint with an extra defender?

Anyone?

hondoheel
01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Georgia Tech is WAY rougher than Clemson. Be glad you don't have to travel to either one of those places this season.

SilkyJ
01-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Georgia Tech is WAY rougher than Clemson. Be glad you don't have to travel to either one of those places this season.

why? cause they almost beat you too?

hondoheel
01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

No, because Smith and Peacock beat the hell out of opponents. At least Dickey is not playing this season, that was a brutal front line.

SilkyJ
01-18-2008, 12:41 PM
No, because Smith and Peacock beat the hell out of opponents. At least Dickey is not playing this season, that was a brutal front line.

those guys weigh like 230. they are the same size as mike dunleavy, a real enforcer.

CDu
01-18-2008, 12:42 PM
those guys weigh like 230. they are the same size as mike dunleavy. a real enforcer.

Smith is, absolutely, an enforcer. He's as rough and dirty as they come. I don't generally agree with Hondo, but in this case he's absolutely right. The less we have to see of him, the better.

Clipsfan
01-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Maybe style of play has something to do with it? Some guys who weigh 230 play much differently than others. There's such a thing as a soft 270, for instance.

hondoheel
01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
those guys weigh like 230. they are the same size as mike dunleavy, a real enforcer.

They are like 6'7", 235 lbs of muscle. Same as Trevor Booker. If Dunleavy was the same height but with the build he has now he'd be about 210.

greybeard
01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
My bet is that the game is called extremely tight. The FSU game really was not good.

SilkyJ
01-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Smith is, absolutely, an enforcer. He's as rough and dirty as they come. I don't generally agree with Hondo, but in this case he's absolutely right. The less we have to see of him, the better.

(pst, he's a tar hole fan. he's inherently wrong)

bluedev_92
01-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Be glad you didn't come away with 2 losses...;)

MrBisonDevil
01-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Maybe style of play has something to do with it? Some guys who weigh 230 play much differently than others. There's such a thing as a soft 270, for instance.

I don’t see a basketball player’s height & weight as a true measure of his ability to be a bruiser. I tend to think the true measure would be his Reach and the ability to channel "Iron Fist"-like Superpowers. (See Chris Paul) ;)

CDu
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
(pst, he's a tar hole fan. he's inherently wrong)

I'm aware of that by the name. Which is why I said I usually disagree with him. :)

He just happens to be right in this case. Something about blind squirrels seems appropriate here.

Classof06
01-18-2008, 02:58 PM

When Hansbrough comes away from a game beat up, you know the opponents are as physical as they come. Between Smith and Peacock, Hansbrough was roughed up like you rarely ever see him. This is why I think when UNC plays a team with a deep front line (ahem Kansas, UCLA) they are going to be in a world of trouble. Wednesday night was a glimpse into some of UNC's major flaws.

I agree with rthomas, I think Duke is in for a real fight tomorrow. I think behind Pitt, this is going to be arguably the toughest game of the season to date. I said the FSU and Clemson games would tell us a lot about this team. The FSU game did exactly that and so will tomorrow.

hondoheel
01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree with rthomas, I think Duke is in for a real fight tomorrow. I think behind Pitt, this is going to be arguably the toughest game of the season to date. I said the FSU and Clemson games would tell us a lot about this team. The FSU game did exactly that and so will tomorrow.

Nah, Clemson is not the same team on the road. Stitt and Oglesby will look like the freshmen they are in CIS.

mus074
01-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Nah, Clemson is not the same team on the road. Stitt and Oglesby will look like the freshmen they are in CIS.

Clemson will be tough, but not as tough as UNC got.

I think it equally likely Duke will play some defense. On Wednesday, Tech's offense looked as good as UNC's. Its not, to be sure. But UNC's defense some times looks like old school Loyola Marymount. No one can run as fast for as long, so they just let it become a track meet. Duke plays a different game. They can't put up the same offensive fire power, so they actually defend.

dukeENG2003
01-18-2008, 04:03 PM
There's such a thing as a soft 270, for instance.

Yup, his name is Brendan Haywood

mus074
01-18-2008, 04:19 PM

I think you mean Brenda.

SilkyJ
01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Something about blind squirrels seems appropriate here.

They can't see too good?

(i hope everyone realizes i'm just bustin chops here...slow day at work...)

agreed.

bahahaha

I think you mean Brenda.

BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Jumbo
01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
When Hansbrough comes away from a game beat up, you know the opponents are as physical as they come. Between Smith and Peacock, Hansbrough was roughed up like you rarely ever see him. This is why I think when UNC plays a team with a deep front line (ahem Kansas, UCLA) they are going to be in a world of trouble. Wednesday night was a glimpse into some of UNC's major flaws.

How quickly we forget Marquette. (And Wisconsin, interestingly enough.)

Wander
01-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't know if I consider Clemson better than Marquette or not overall, but I think that Clemson matches up better against Duke than Marquette does.

Of course, Clemson's at home and Marquette was neutral. It's a close call.

CDu
01-18-2008, 05:19 PM
How quickly we forget Marquette. (And Wisconsin, interestingly enough.)

Marquette and Wisconsin are entirely different animals compared to Clemson in my opinion. Those were nice wins, but the matchups weren't that similar. Marquette was athletic, but their strength was on the perimeter (the Marquette game was also a war of attrition due to fatigue). Wisconsin had big guys, but lacked the athleticism to keep pace.

Clemson may or may not be as good as Marquette, but I feel that they MAY be a tougher matchup. They're athletic everywhere, have a talented point guard, and have both size, talent, and athleticism inside.

All are important tests of where we are - just very different tests.

77devil
01-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Nice. That's my boy

jimsumner
01-18-2008, 09:52 PM
FWIW, Nelson said tonight that Duke would try to wear out the Clemson bigs by making them run and chase. A lot.

Attack seems to be the order of the day.

devildeac
01-19-2008, 08:26 AM

You're just learning that? (see ismael muhammed-not sure of the spelling; see Daniel Ewing's wrist several years ago after a HARD GT foul)-welcome to the club of teams playing GT with Hewitt's(uh) aggressive style of coaching.

devildeac
01-19-2008, 10:43 AM

Whaddaya think about Seth Greenberg's rugby, err, men's BB team over the last few years? Or, for that matter, f$u's new gridiron edition to the hardwood?

MChambers
01-19-2008, 11:39 AM
FWIW, Nelson said tonight that Duke would try to wear out the Clemson bigs by making them run and chase. A lot.

Attack seems to be the order of the day.

Clemson likes to press, and we like to run, and need to run against bigger teams. I see Nolan as having an exceptional day.

hondoheel
01-19-2008, 01:07 PM
You're just learning that? (see ismael muhammed-not sure of the spelling; see Daniel Ewing's wrist several years ago after a HARD GT foul)-welcome to the club of teams playing GT with Hewitt's(uh) aggressive style of coaching.

Yeah, just like they broke Justin Gray's jaw, right?

Paul Hewitt's teams have always been thuggish. Michael Isenhour (RIP) was the goon on his original team.

devildeac
01-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Yeah, just like they broke Justin Gray's jaw, right?

Paul Hewitt's teams have always been thuggish. Michael Isenhour (RIP) was the goon on his original team.

Forgot about Gray's jaw-thanks for the reminder. My nurse is a big heels fan 'cuz 2 of her kids went to unc(she also had 1 go to ncsu and 1 went to unc-w) and she bemoaned the fact that teams were soooo rough with Tyler. Needless to say, I have little(if any) sympathy for her, or Hanstravel, considering the thuggish play we have been subjected to recently. Don't get the impression I wish injuries on any player from this post, either. I just get really disgusted with our guys getting their heads bounced off the floor(Ewing), or ambushed by gt/vt/f$u thugs and then seeing little, if any, stern discipline from the refs or head of acc officials.