PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the Midwest

JasonEvans
03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Vote in the poll and then post a comment

feldspar
03-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Florida. Too much experience. Too much depth. Too much Noah.

I hate making this pick, because I can't stand Florida, I can't stand Billy Donovan, and I can't stand Joke-kim. But, I have to face reality.

Confidence factor: 80%

throatybeard
03-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Oregon's doing well... (!)

devildownunder
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I voted for Wisconsin, although I would be much happier to see Oregon win it.

Dar95
03-12-2007, 07:19 PM
It's probably nuts to go against Florida, and I know recent history (UConn, UNC) has implied that teams can turn it on down the stretch, but I watched the Gators a number of times this year, and they just seemed to be missing something. Sure, they played well in the SEC, but who did they play? Maybe it's Arizona, maybe it's Maryland, but someone takes them out.

So, if not Florida, who? I want to say Maryland (actually, I don't want to say Maryland, it's the last thing I want to say, other than "UNC 2007 Champs!"), and if they beat Davidson, I think they make it. But I don't think that they beat Davidson. Wisconsin looks shot; Oregon is the kind of team I stay the heck away from; Butler is shot, and Notre Dame is going to lose to Winthrop... who could beat Oregon... and Wisconsin (almost did it already)... and at that point, might as well put them through.

Troublemaker
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I picked Oregon but I couldn't really say why. Maybe they'll stay hot and continue to burn up the nets. I don't want to put 4 #1 seeds into my Final Four, so I went with Oregon and TAMU, the latter of which I'm much more confident about. I have UNC and Kansas as the #1 seeds advancing to Atlanta.

Cameron
03-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I have Arizona knocking off Florida in round two. The Cats play zero defense but when they are hot, they are hot and can beat anyone in the country. And what is a better time to be hot than against Florida and the hated Joakim Noah? I like this pick.

But, it will be that lack of defense that will keep the Cats from winning the Midwest. I'm leaning towards Oregon right now, but I just don't think the Ducks have what it takes. Since I didn't go with Florida, this has been a ridiculously hard region to pick. I will be in workshop all week:)

superdave
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Wisconsin is hurting without Butch and I have no idea why people get excited about Oregon.

Cameron
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
^^I agree, superdave. I just have a really, really tough time believing Oregon can do it. I keep hearing about how great Price's perfect shooting performace was the other night, but I'm still not buying it. Their best chance at a Final Four was with the Lukes.

Arizona is looking like an eye candy pick right now; I really want to do it. I'm just not sure if they will be able to keep up the hot shooting long enough to do so. We know they can out score anyone in the country when they are clicking offensively, but, if the points are hard to come by at any point in a game, the Cats' opposition can, and will, run away with the W. Arizona has zero capabilities on the other end of the floor, so they better be scoring in the high 80s and into the 90s nearly every time out to reach Atlanta. And I'm just not sure if they can sustain that effort for four consecutive games.

Still workshopping:)

77devil
03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Just kidding. It's hard not to pick Florida but I have Oregon in one of polls. Hedging my bets.:D

hurleyfor3
03-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Four or five teams in that upper prong have a decent shot to get to the final eight. I'm not convinced Flawda had developed the mindset necessary to be a one-time champion (pretending someone else won last year), much less a repeat champ.

Take all the programs in the past 30 years that had good enough teams to repeat. Among them, where would you rank flawda? Clearly behind Georgetown '85, Unlv '91 and Ky '97 and certainly no better than Duke '02. Curlonna '94 seems like the best comparison, or perhaps Arky '95, which at least got to the championship game. Maybe better than Sparty '01, but given the choice between dunnavan and Izzo I know who I'd rather have.

Buckeye Devil
03-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I am afraid that the Gators will be crowned national champs in basketball too.

I do wish God would put Noah on a boat, make it rain for say 40 days or so, and have him float away.

captmojo
03-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Wins by any of the above and it's victory for the terrorists.

adam
03-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Assuming Arizona gets past Purdue, they could give Florida some trouble. If Florida can get by AZ in the 2nd round, it's going to be tough for anyone else in the Midwest bracket to take them down. I'll be rooting against them the entire way, though. :)

Go Duke!!!

Bob Green
03-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Oregon will win because 2 or 3 of the #1s have to lose and Florida is destined to lose. They cannot repeat! Maryland will beat Florida in the Sweet 16.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

JasonEvans
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Bump, vote and then vote again ;)

mph
03-13-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm not in love with any of the top seeds in this bracket and could totally see a low seed emerge out of the Midwest. As it is, I'll take Wisconsin. I agree with those that think Florida's tendency to take games off will catch up to them.

feldspar
03-13-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm not in love with any of the top seeds in this bracket and could totally see a low seed emerge out of the Midwest. As it is, I'll take Wisconsin. I agree with those that think Florida's tendency to take games off will catch up to them.

Agreed, although I think I'm going to go with Oregon. They will be this year's Florida (2006), Michigan State/Louisville (2005).

JasonEvans
03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I picked Maryland here and am surprised more folks don't like them.

Aside from that aberration against Miami, the Terps have been one of the best teams in the country for the past month. They won 7 in a row IN THE ACC including 3 in a row on the road in the ACC. They won 5 of the 7 games by double digits.

Did one loss to Miami undo all that good will?

-Jason "one bracket always is full of upsets-- I think the Midwest is it this year and Maryland will be the last team standing when it is done" Evans

duke03
03-13-2007, 05:25 PM

Aside from that aberration against Miami, the Terps have been one of the best teams in the country for the past month. They won 7 in a row IN THE ACC including 3 in a row on the road in the ACC. They won 5 of the 7 games by double digits.

-Jason "one bracket always is full of upsets-- I think the Midwest is it this year and Maryland will be the last team standing when it is done" Evans

Two reasons to pick against Maryland:

1) They got the toughest 13 seed by far in Davidson, a team which is by no means an easy out.

2) They match up poorly against Florida. The Terps generally thrive on being more athletic than their opponent, which is something that won't be true against the Gators. Additionally, Ibekwe isn't going to be able to contain Noah.

Having said that, if Maryland can get to the Elite 8, they match up well against either Oregon or Wisconsin.

Troublemaker
03-13-2007, 06:20 PM

In some of my brackets, I have Maryland eliminating Florida. I think it's hard to commit to Maryland, an inconsistent team, as a Final Four team because you could easily picture them losing to Davidson or Butler. I think their size in the backcourt could cause Florida some trouble if they get that far, though.