PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for ACC Weekend Games

gw67
01-18-2008, 09:00 AM
There are six conference games again this weekend. It will be another opportunity for Duke and UNC to continue to separate themselves from the rest and for the bottom feeders to improve their records against similar teams. So far, BC and Virginia Tech have positive records. Will their luck continue? My predictions:

Clemson@Duke – This Clemson team is an improvement over last year but they are playing at CIS where the Devils are relaxed, confidant and driven by the crazies. Occasionally, there is also some home cooking. In any case, it should be a close game with the Tigers clanging some free throws at inopportune times and the Devils winning by 6-10 points.

Maryland@UNC – This is one of the weakest Maryland teams in recent memory and the only way this doesn’t result in an embarrassing beat down by 30 points or more is for the Heels to either have an off game or for Roy to call off the dogs early.

Virginia Tech@Georgia Tech – Based on their game against the Heels, Georgia Tech appeared to be the 3rd or 4th best team in the league. The Hokies were lucky to beat both Maryland and Virginia. I see Georgia Tech winning this game.

BC@Virginia – BC lost Dudley and his cohorts but they still are very competitive. Skinner is one of the best coaches in the ACC and he has reloaded with last year’s reserves and some nice freshmen. Virginia is winless in the ACC and is not as good as BC but I have a hunch they will win this game.

FSU@Wake – Both teams are 1-2 and need a win. FSU is experienced and Wake is very young but I really like Johnson and Teague as well as the other young starters for Wake. This is a pick’um game by Sagarin and Pomeroy figures that FSU will win a close game. I’m going to go against my better judgment and assume that Wake makes a few three pointers at home to barely win.

Miami@ NCState – It is difficult to pick against the home team but Miami is the better team, IMO. It will be interesting to see whether McCauley being hurt somehow improves the chemistry on the floor for the Wolfpack. McClinton breaks out of his slump and leads the Canes to a victory and State falls to 0-3.

I also predict that several posters will be very unhappy with the ESPN color man no matter who it is.

gw67

MChambers
01-18-2008, 09:38 AM
There are six conference games again this weekend. It will be another opportunity for Duke and UNC to continue to separate themselves from the rest and for the bottom feeders to improve their records against similar teams. So far, BC and Virginia Tech have positive records. Will their luck continue? My predictions:

Clemson@Duke – This Clemson team is an improvement over last year but they are playing at CIS where the Devils are relaxed, confidant and driven by the crazies. Occasionally, there is also some home cooking. In any case, it should be a close game with the Tigers clanging some free throws at inopportune times and the Devils winning by 6-10 points.

Maryland@UNC – This is one of the weakest Maryland teams in recent memory and the only way this doesn’t result in an embarrassing beat down by 30 points or more is for the Heels to either have an off game or for Roy to call off the dogs early.

Virginia Tech@Georgia Tech – Based on their game against the Heels, Georgia Tech appeared to be the 3rd or 4th best team in the league. The Hokies were lucky to beat both Maryland and Virginia. I see Georgia Tech winning this game.

BC@Virginia – BC lost Dudley and his cohorts but they still are very competitive. Skinner is one of the best coaches in the ACC and he has reloaded with last year’s reserves and some nice freshmen. Virginia is winless in the ACC and is not as good as BC but I have a hunch they will win this game.

FSU@Wake – Both teams are 1-2 and need a win. FSU is experienced and Wake is very young but I really like Johnson and Teague as well as the other young starters for Wake. This is a pick’um game by Sagarin and Pomeroy figures that FSU will win a close game. I’m going to go against my better judgment and assume that Wake makes a few three pointers at home to barely win.

Miami@ NCState – It is difficult to pick against the home team but Miami is the better team, IMO. It will be interesting to see whether McCauley being hurt somehow improves the chemistry on the floor for the Wolfpack. McClinton breaks out of his slump and leads the Canes to a victory and State falls to 0-3.

I also predict that several posters will be very unhappy with the ESPN color man no matter who it is.

gw67

They'll also be unhappy with the refs and our recruiting, I fear!

Bob Green
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
The home teams dominate but BC and Miami win on the road.

mgtr
01-18-2008, 10:28 AM

gw67

I predict that you don't mess up too often with predictions like this!

Olympic Fan
01-18-2008, 11:05 AM
The most important game of the weekend is IMHO BC at Virginia.

The Eagles are 3-0 in the league with a win at Maryland ... if they add another road win, we have to start taking them seriously as a contender for a top 2-3 spot in the league. On the other hand, Virginia is 0-2 with one home loss already -- a second home loss and an 0-3 start would pretty much eliminate them as a first division contender (which they MUST be to contend for an NCAA bid).

I like a desperate Virginia team pulling off a close win.

The next most important game is Miami at NC State. The Pack started the season with big dreams (most Pack fans I know were pissed that the media picked them third, behind Duke, in the preseason poll). It's easy to write them off at this moment, but the 0-2 ACC mark is not quite as bad as it looks -- the losses came at UNC and at Clemson (not a lot of people will win at either of those two places). Overall, they're still 11-5, so there's some glimmer of hope.

The problem is they've played like $%#@ so far in the league. If they add a home loss to Miami (which I still think is going to finish as a mid-level ACC team) they'd be all but dead.

I like NC State finding a way to win at home.

The big question I have about Va Tech at Georgia Tech is how the Jackets react to Wednesday night's heartbreaking loss. Remember, Clemson followed up its UNC loss with a terrible performance against Charlotte. Va Tech is coming off a big road win at Virginia (did I hear, that was their first win in C'ville since the late 1960s?).

I like the Hokies to further bury Georgia Tech in the basement. I think Ga Tech is going to be like Wake in 2006 -- a talented, but flawed team that got in a hole early and never got out.

I like UNC and Duke at home -- UNC big and Duke tight.

The hardest game to predict is FSU at Wake -- the Deacons have been somewhat better at home, so I guess I'll give them the narrow edge.