PDA

View Full Version : Home vs. Away/Neutral Court Stats

Delaware
01-17-2008, 05:51 AM
I have compiled some Duke and Opponent Home vs. Away/Neutral court stats and although I knew there would be a descrepancy, it seems bigger than I had anticipated. Duke is scoring 17 more points a game, shooting 6 percentage points higher from the field and 9 percentage points higher from 3 point range. I know the team is young and Cameron is a great advantage, but is there something about this team that accentuates this differential (or is this normal for a Duke team ... I did not try to go back in history to look at the last few years of home vs. away stats). I know some of the opponents are weaker at home could be one reason, of course. Anyone have any historical data to say if this is about normal for a Duke team? Or other insights?

Home Score FG% 3-PT FG% FT%

Duke 92.6 51% 43% 70%
Opp 60.9 41%

Neutral/ Score FG% 3-PT FG% FT%
Away

Duke 75.1 45% 34% 69%
Opp 65.6 39%

Delta
Duke 17.5 6% 9% 1%
Opp -4.7 2%

camion
01-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Using Sagarin rankings I calculate the average rank of our home opponents as 170, neutral court opponents as 104 and away opponents as 68. That might have something to do with the difference.

I consider Davidson, Temple and FSU to be away games with Princeton, Illinois, Marquette and Pitt being neutral court games. Three games is a pretty small sample.