PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or...?

jsimmons
01-16-2008, 10:44 PM
It seems like something happened to this team over Christmas. What happened to that high octane new duke offense that we saw before christmas break. Sunday and tonite we did the old duke offense of watch the point guard dribble at the top of the key, and have the rest of the players standing on the wings, and in the corners. I know that the quality of competition has changed but it seems so has the way we are playing offense.

Secondly, what happened to that zone defense we saw before the break? I thought we were going to use that occasionally to throw off the other team. It has been at least 4 games since I saw that zone. Something happen thee I dont know of?

Good game tonite...bring on clemson.

ugadevil
01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
We used the zone for a short time tonight. During that time, FSU proceeded to take open 3's, get offensive rebounds, and drive the lane at will.

JBDuke
01-16-2008, 10:49 PM
It seems like something happened to this team over Christmas. What happened to that high octane new duke offense that we saw before christmas break. Sunday and tonite we did the old duke offense of watch the point guard dribble at the top of the key, and have the rest of the players standing on the wings, and in the corners. I know that the quality of competition has changed but it seems so has the way we are playing offense.

Secondly, what happened to that zone defense we saw before the break? I thought we were going to use that occasionally to throw off the other team. It has been at least 4 games since I saw that zone. Something happen thee I dont know of?

Good game tonite...bring on clemson.

Two comments on the zone - we did see it tonight, at least once. Duke went zone on an FSU out-of-bounds play. Patrick and Bilas even commented on it. Then, when FSU missed their shot and got an offensive board and stickback, we were no longer in the zone.

Also, one thing I've seen us do a lot is play a man to man but with us switching on every screen. This is effectively a lot like a matchup zone D. We've been using that a lot this year, and some last year, especially when our quicker big guys are on the floor and they can handle the switch to a perimeter guy if needed.

We used a lot more of the zone when Zoubek was in the game. Now that he's out for a while, I expect we'll continue to see it only in spot situations.

Bob Green
01-16-2008, 10:49 PM
The zone isn't needed. IMO, the zone was a strategy to assist Pocius and Zoubek. Both are hurt. Zoubek will be back soon but I don't expect to see much zone defense.

Jumbo
01-16-2008, 11:02 PM

There was very little "new" about the Duke offense. Duke has always been a high-octaine team. Duke has always been among the nation's scoring leaders. Duke has always looked to push the ball. The only difference involved spacing in the half-court set, and even that was more of a tweak than a revolutionary change, because K has often played 4-out on offense.

Duke used the zone a tiny bit tonight. But why would you want to see a zone when Duke's man-to-man D has been so good? Plus, given the fact that Duke is a small team, it would be even more difficult to rebound out of a zone.

Jarhead
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
...and we did out rebound FSU 40-27, tonight. We got more boards on the defensive end also, 10-9, I think.

dyedwab
01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
...at least to me, was that Nolan Smith was our second leading rebounder with 7.

Doesn't have a larger meaning, but it wasn't what i expected

crimsonandblue
01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
There was very little "new" about the Duke offense. Duke has always been a high-octaine team. Duke has always been among the nation's scoring leaders. Duke has always looked to push the ball. The only difference involved spacing in the half-court set, and even that was more of a tweak than a revolutionary change, because K has often played 4-out on offense.

Duke used the zone a tiny bit tonight. But why would you want to see a zone when Duke's man-to-man D has been so good? Plus, given the fact that Duke is a small team, it would be even more difficult to rebound out of a zone.

I would think the reason you might have wanted to go to some zone was the comeback was fueled almost entirely by penetration and then penetration and kicks. Still, I assume K was more interested in playing through that on the road, than trying to find the right defense to get away from the problems.

Jumbo
01-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I would think the reason you might have wanted to go to some zone was the comeback was fueled almost entirely by penetration and then penetration and kicks. Still, I assume K was more interested in playing through that on the road, than trying to find the right defense to get away from the problems.

I'd say it was fueled mostly by Duke's turnovers.

elvis14
01-17-2008, 12:43 AM
The zone isn't needed. IMO, the zone was a strategy to assist Pocius and Zoubek. Both are hurt. Zoubek will be back soon but I don't expect to see much zone defense.

I wouldn't say it isn't needed. I like the idea of switching on occasion to make an opponent think and change something up. But I also thought the zone was used primarily with Marty and Brian.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-17-2008, 01:14 AM
Wouldn't have hurt to have a strong shotblocking presence inside either. Just sayin' . . .

CDu
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I'd say it was fueled mostly by Duke's turnovers.

Yeah, it was fueled by Duke's turnovers and our general ineptitude on offense for large stretches. We had a stretch of 4 minutes in the first half without a point and 3 minutes in the second half without a point. Aside from that 16-point burst over about a 2 minute stretch in the first half, we scored only 44 points in the first 38.5 minutes of the game. That's pretty poor offense.

FSU didn't really make a big run - they only scored 35 points in the second half, and it was fairly well spread out over that time. We just spent a LOT of time not scoring points.