PDA

View Full Version : UNC - Ga Tech

mr. synellinden
01-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Anyone watching this?

UNC down 3 - under 12 TV TO.

ugadevil
01-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I turned it off after Jimmy Dykes called Tyler Hansbrough the hardest working player in America because he stretches and gets plenty of rest.

bbar7502
01-16-2008, 10:43 PM
i nominate myself as president of the "i hate jimmy dykes fan club"

wisteria
01-16-2008, 10:59 PM
UNC leads 3 with 5min to go.

ACC road game IS tough. I thought UNC was going to whip GT.

DukeBlood
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Uhh.. these threads always jinx the other team.

dyedwab
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
tied, 36.8 seconds left, Tech ball

ugadevil
01-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Hansbrough caught a nasty blow to the face at the end.

Great effort by Ga. Tech. Gotta' knock down tough layups to beat good teams.

uncwdevil
01-16-2008, 11:15 PM
wow, 2 road ACC games for the heels

2 last second wins

dukelifer
01-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Tech punched UNC in the mouth literally and figuratively but could not hit the shots down the stretch. UNC is very strong on the fundamentals- and Tech rushed a bit at times. Still they had a great chance to win this but fell short with two good shots at the end.

wisteria
01-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

UNC just pulled off another last second 1 point ACC road win. I am seriously depressed.

OldSchool
01-16-2008, 11:17 PM
On GT's final shot 4 feet from the basket, Hansbrough in the air, body contact, no call.

wisteria
01-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Now I am feeling a lot better about our win tonight.

It was GT (!) and UNC (!).

Bluedog
01-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Hansblahblah shot 15 free throws....Ga Tech as a team shot 10....I honestly didn't watch the whole game so I'm not saying it's bad officiating, but those types of stats always seem to occur for some reason.

dyedwab
01-16-2008, 11:20 PM
what was interesting to me about Carolina was how they clearly turned the defense on and off. They aren't a bad defensive team - they are just uninterested. When they needed to clamp down they did - and Tech certainly isn't a team of fantastic ballhandlers, but man, for periods of that game, Tech was just getting into the lane really easily

Tough loss for Tech, and I thought the shooter got fouled at the end, but Hewitt's teams have lived by hack, so they'll occassionally die by it.

Highlander
01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Man, Tech had their chances to win this one, but couldn't score when it counted.

They had the ball twice in the last minute of the game with a chance to take the lead, but just couldn't put the ball in the basket. And that turnover with under 3 minutes left was just a gift to Tech, a gift that they turned into a rushed 3 and a quick foul on UNC. I feel sorry for Tech. They certainly didn't outplay UNC during the last 5 min of the game, but UNC left the door open and Tech couldn't walk through it. It reminded me of us from last year, when we couldn't buy a last second shot (well, except for McClure vs. Clemson).

However, I am convinced now that UNC will not go through the ACC undefeated this year. They've played two road games and barely survived both. Sooner or later, someone will make a play against them when the game is on the line. I hope it's us.

yancem
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
So, are these two close road games for UNC going to make them tougher and harder to beat later in the year or are they going to end using up all of their luck/karma and come up on the wrong side of one these types of games later when it counts more?

dukelifer
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Man, Tech had their chances to win this one, but couldn't score when it counted.

They had the ball twice in the last minute of the game with a chance to take the lead, but just couldn't put the ball in the basket. And that turnover with under 3 minutes left was just a gift to Tech, a gift that they turned into a rushed 3 and a quick foul on UNC. I feel sorry for Tech. They certainly didn't outplay UNC during the last 5 min of the game, but UNC left the door open and Tech couldn't walk through it. It reminded me of us from last year, when we couldn't buy a last second shot (well, except for McClure vs. Clemson).

However, I am convinced now that UNC will not go through the ACC undefeated this year. They've played two road games and barely survived both. Sooner or later, someone will make a play against them when the game is on the line. I hope it's us.

It is hard to believe that they will go undefeated in the regular season but... They won in the two toughest places to play (other than CIS) for them and they are not beatable at home IMO- barring injury. Maybe to Miami at Miami? Maybe to BC at BC at the end of the year? It is very likely they could be undefeated going into that last week. The pressure will mount though. Make no mistake- this is a very good team who can outscore anyone.

Joehurley1
01-16-2008, 11:36 PM
How many times did he hit the floor? Great to see him get hammered a couple of times for real and really "earn" those freebies for a change.

dukepsy1963
01-16-2008, 11:42 PM
For as long as I can remember UNC seems to always pull out a victory. I think its unbelievable luck......has to be. Yeah, I know they are good and all that, but time after time they always seem to end up winning. And I have been watching them for decades. Jeez! This gets so old!

feldspar
01-17-2008, 01:17 AM
On GT's final shot 4 feet from the basket, Hansbrough in the air, body contact, no call.

Uhhh, Hansblahblah didn't even come close to contacting him. Both UNC players (I didn't catch who the other kid was) executed just about the best defense you can in that kind of situation. Credit to the Heels on a tough win.

sandinmyshoes
01-17-2008, 07:30 AM
After watching our game, and then the UNC/GT game, I'm left thinking that maybe nation wide the NCAA should work on making college basketball just a wee bit less physical.

jjasper0729
01-17-2008, 09:03 AM
you talk about Jimmy Dykes. what really irked me last night watching that was his constant up the behind of Hansbrough and constantly pointing out that he has made more free throws this year than field goals. also, was his trying to channel Roy with the dad'gum all the time. ugh. made me want to puke

gw67
01-17-2008, 09:14 AM
I enjoyed watching the game. Like Clemson, Tech really competed and almost pulled it off. They double and triple-teamed Hansbrough throughout the game by rotating four big men. He still got 27 points and eleven rebounds. He was fouled several times and only one was questionable, IMO. This game illustrated one way to stay close to UNC. Tech put a lot of pressure on Ellington and Green on the outside, played off Lawson and gave him the outside shot and played team defense against Hansbrough. Hansbrough got his points but Ellington, Green and Lawson were held down.

For Tech, I thought that Smith, Peacock and Lawal played very well and were equal to Hansbrough down low. I also thought that their much-maligned point guards (Miller and Causey) played the UNC point guards to a standstill. Their outside shooters, Morrow and Clinch needed to make another shot or two. Based on this game, you have to wonder why Tech is 7-9 and 0-3 in conference play.

I note that Hewitt went ballistic for the last several minutes of the game. I wonder if the deportment of the coaches is no longer an issue for the refs.

gw67

jjasper0729
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I note that Hewitt went ballistic for the last several minutes of the game. I wonder if the deportment of the coaches is no longer an issue for the refs.

I dont think it is that much any more because Hamilton went nuts in our game... out on the court, a few f-bombs and just a total tirade and they didn't even look his way once to get him to calm down.

as for Hewitt, his assistants got up to keep him from getting way out of line and the refs didn't do much in looking his way as a warning glare either i thought.

RepoMan
01-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Check out the box score of this game. Now compare it to the box score of the Duke game. 2 close ACC games with both Duke and UNC on the road.

For all the seemingly endless talk about Roy Williams's willingness to go deep into his bench, and Coach K's refusal to play all but the few favored sons, who went deeper into the bench?

It just goes to show, bench utilization by these coaches, in all likelihood, is more a function of personnel than philosophy.

Wander
01-17-2008, 10:01 AM
I know everyone's pissed that they pulled it off, but think positive guys: Duke and UNC just played an ACC road game, Duke's opponent was tougher, and Duke still won more convincingly.

Wander
01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
For all the seemingly endless talk about Roy Williams's willingness to go deep into his bench, and Coach K's refusal to play all but the few favored sons, who went deeper into the bench?

Duke is the deepest team in the ACC right now, not UNC.

RepoMan
01-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Duke is the deepest team in the ACC right now, not UNC.

Exactly, and K is using that depth. Its not that Williams suddenly resists playing more guys and K suddenly decided to extend the bench. Its not philosophy. Its personnel.

DukePA
01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
For as long as I can remember UNC seems to always pull out a victory. I think its unbelievable luck......has to be. Yeah, I know they are good and all that, but time after time they always seem to end up winning. And I have been watching them for decades. Jeez! This gets so old!

Same here. I found myself quoting one of my Wolfpack buddies at the end of this game and the unc-Clemson game:

Lucy b- -tards. Ughhhhhh.

CMS2478
01-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Same here. I found myself quoting one of my Wolfpack buddies at the end of this game and the unc-Clemson game:

Lucy b- -tards. Ughhhhhh.

I am not saying that Carolina is not good, by any stretch......But it seems to me that the other teams (Clemson, G-Tech) managed to lose the game rather than Carolina winning the game. Without the over the back and Green's free throw at the end Carolina would have had to come down and score and it could have turned out different in overtime or whatever. But Clemson had a tipin at the end of regulation and G-Tech had a shot at the free-throw line at the buzzard. Just couldn't get it done. :(

Clipsfan
01-17-2008, 12:51 PM
I enjoyed watching the game. Like Clemson, Tech really competed and almost pulled it off. They double and triple-teamed Hansbrough throughout the game by rotating four big men. He still got 27 points and eleven rebounds. He was fouled several times and only one was questionable, IMO. This game illustrated one way to stay close to UNC. Tech put a lot of pressure on Ellington and Green on the outside, played off Lawson and gave him the outside shot and played team defense against Hansbrough. Hansbrough got his points but Ellington, Green and Lawson were held down.

For Tech, I thought that Smith, Peacock and Lawal played very well and were equal to Hansbrough down low. I also thought that their much-maligned point guards (Miller and Causey) played the UNC point guards to a standstill. Their outside shooters, Morrow and Clinch needed to make another shot or two. Based on this game, you have to wonder why Tech is 7-9 and 0-3 in conference play.

gw67

I agree with most of what you say and enjoyed watching the game (I didn't get to see the end, unfortunately, as I headed out to shoot some hoops and didn't set it to record past the 2 hour mark). I do disagree on the fouls re:Hans slightly, though. He may have been fouled, but in a couple cases he took 3 steps and a hop first. It's almost impossibly to avoid contact with someone who travels like that, and it should be called as a travel, not a foul.

UNC is a tough team, but given that we've got 2 shots at them I don't think there is a very good chance that they'll go undefeated in conference. Personally, I hope that we beat them BOTH times, not only once.

Patrick Yates
01-17-2008, 12:52 PM
The recipe for taking down the heels is apparant, it is just not that easy to carry out.

As an above poster pointed out, UNC is uninterested in playing D. When they are on O they sprint down the court. On D, not so much. I am not worried about scoring on UNC. Anyone can.

The rub is stopping UNC. Given that they can be scored upon, it comes down to slowing them down. I think it will take great D at the point of attack, preventing them from passing to Hans, and getting easy transition baskets. Easier said than done. This is where rebounding could hurt us. They guys have to focus on good blockouts. Also good shot selection.

I can see how to beat UNC. Doing it is something else.

Patrick Yates

gw67
01-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Clipsfan - I see the Heels losing two games. One at CIS and another along the way, say at BC or Virginia. It appears to me that 7, maybe 8 teams will be below .500 this year in the ACC with only UNC, Duke, Clemson winning 10 or more games.

gw67

kmspeaks
01-17-2008, 01:20 PM
I turned it off after Jimmy Dykes called Tyler Hansbrough the hardest working player in America because he stretches and gets plenty of rest.

i on the other hand was glued to the tv after learning that the area where tyler plays is not the interior or the paint but "the power part of the floor" i only hope that the rest of the announcers can be as enlightening :p

gw67
01-17-2008, 01:55 PM
If one always finds fault with the announcers, then turn off the sound so you won't get aggrevated. I occasionally do this when I am familiar with the two teams that are playing and I found that I still enjoy the game.

I know that the following is not a popular opinion on this site but I admire Hansbrough's all out effort in the games. Give me a bunch of kids who play as hard. As far as him being the hardest worker in college ball, I don't know how you confirm that; however, R. Williams has stated that he is the second hardest working player that he has been around. The first is Michael Jordan. One of the reasons that Tom Brady has improved markedly from the 6th round draft pick entering the NFL has been the fact that he is one of the hardest workers on the Pats. When teammates see their star quarterback working hard to improve himself and keep fit, it sends a message to everyone. It may be the same for Hansbrough and the Heels.

gw67

OldSchool
01-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Uhhh, Hansblahblah didn't even come close to contacting him.

Actually I didn't mean GT's last shot, I meant the shot before that, where Peacock went up with the ball close to the basket and both Green and Hansbrough left the floor and jumped up and into Peacock. It appeared he got swiped on the arm as he tried to put the ball up. After the game Peacock complained he got hit on that shot, but blamed himself for not hitting the game-winner a few seconds later on a clear look at the basket for a short jumper.

But hey, GT had their chances and one could point to other calls/noncalls during the game. The officials sometimes swallow their whistles at the end of a game, and commentators are often calling for them to "let 'em play" and "the players should decide the game, not the officials."

Devilsfan
01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
If they can ever be coached to play like a team watch out. I doubt if this will ever happen, so they are in fact very beatable. Five great all-stars all playing as individuals can be beat by five very, very good players playing as a team. That's why I believe we have a very good chance of knocking them off and why they probably won't win six in a row in the big dance.

sandinmyshoes
01-17-2008, 03:20 PM
If they can ever be coached to play like a team watch out. I doubt if this will ever happen, so they are in fact very beatable. Five great all-stars all playing as individuals can be beat by five very, very good players playing as a team. That's why I believe we have a very good chance of knocking them off and why they probably won't win six in a row in the big dance.

What? I share your conviction that they probably won't win six in a row in the big dance. First, because most teams don't, so the odds are against them. Secondly, their outside shooting is VERY streaky and I still think they'll have a stinker that knocks them out of the dance.

But to suggest they don't play team ball is more than a stretch. Do not mistake fast break basketball for one-on-one nonsense. Their break is very disciplined for all its speed. Just watch the players who do NOT have the ball, the way they automatically find their lanes as they head down the court. And except for Hansbrough's black hole concept of post play, they are all very unselfish and skilled passers.

If you stop their post play, or at least make it difficult, there is a tendency as the shot clock winds down for some wildness in their shot selection, but rarely do they do that early in the shot clock the way teams that truly lack a team concept are prone to do.

I know we want them to be beatable, and they are. But it seems like our fans are tossing out some possibilities that seem grounded more in wishful thinking than in actuality.