PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky

Wander
01-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't think we have enough topics about Kentucky on these boards and I'm a little bit worried on the survival of this website as a result. The five on the front page are completely inadequate. Let's start some more Kentucky discussion. Did anyone see them crush Florida International? What a game!

If anyone feels we still don't talk enough about Kentucky, just let me know and I'll start seven more threads.

hurleyfor3
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I had to go to Cincinnati once. I must have gotten on the wrong plane or something, because my flight landed in Kentucky. But every map I checked said Cincinnati was in Ohio. I was confused as all hell.

dball
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Shoot, thought this was a BBQ thread.

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
My wife is a Kentucky fan and hates Duke, and me during basketball season. Thanks for the new thread! Awesome! :)

colchar
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I had to go to Cincinnati once. I must have gotten on the wrong plane or something, because my flight landed in Kentucky. But every map I checked said Cincinnati was in Ohio. I was confused as all hell.

Imagine how confused you'd have been if you had ended up in Oxford at Miami University!!!

KenTankerous
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Funny this, as I am engaged in a conversation on my local social network site wherein the Duke fans swear that UofK fans are overly involved in Duke while the Duke fans could not care less about Kentucky.

I think you Duke fans do care. And it makes Big Blue Nation all warm and fuzzy knowing you are thinking of us.

Wander
01-16-2008, 03:14 PM
I think you Duke fans do care. And it makes Big Blue Nation all warm and fuzzy knowing you are thinking of us.

Depends on the age group. I'm younger than most of the people here, and I honestly don't view Kentucky any differently than, say, Kansas or Indiana (in terms of how I root for teams). The older ones though.... whole other story.

throatybeard
01-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't think we have enough topics about Kentucky on these boards and I'm a little bit worried on the survival of this website as a result.

All these Kentucky threads are obscuring the real purpose of the board: ululating about how our MBB recruiting is going into the pooper.

Clipsfan
01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
All these Kentucky threads are obscuring the real purpose of the board: ululating about how our MBB recruiting is going into the pooper.

Not all of them...some of those UK threads are about how one that got away is a sign that our recruiting is really down the tubes...

You really hate those recruiting threads, don't you? I just stopped reading them, especially after realizing that (in my opinion) many of the comments are simply asinine. It's much more fun to watch this year's team play than worry whether an average recruiting class ranking of #2 over the past 3 years is too low.

hurleyfor3
01-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Imagine how confused you'd have been if you had ended up in Oxford at Miami University!!!

My sister goes to Oxford a lot for work. Except she flies to London to do it. I guess then she flies back to Ohio. Or maybe Kentucky. Or maybe Florida? Now I'm really confused.

DukePA
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Funny this, as I am engaged in a conversation on my local social network site wherein the Duke fans swear that UofK fans are overly involved in Duke while the Duke fans could not care less about Kentucky.

I have to admit that I care but not how you might think. I actually like UK when we're not playing you guys. I have family in southeast KY who are huge Cats fans. They want me to engage in the Duke-UK thing, but I won't. I'll just keep aggravating them by liking the Cats no matter how much they despise Duke :)

Thanks for your terrific posts and welcome.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 07:11 PM

I dont really know why, but i just spit up some coke (no, earljam) through my nose after reading this.

this also made me laugh

The only reason I care is b/c I have a disdain for rick pitino and anyone/school he has ever been involved with.

He is a man of low character in my opinion. Jesus the guy coaches at your biggest rival after now. what a sleeze.

ugadevil
01-16-2008, 10:44 PM

I once drove out of Nashville headed towards Atlanta and didn't realize I was going in the wrong direction until almost reaching Kentucky.

captmojo
01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I once drove out of Nashville headed towards Atlanta and didn't realize I was going in the wrong direction until almost reaching Kentucky.

Did you hear about the Kentucky State Trooper who was spotted in Nashville? People wondered why he had lost his way ending up so far south. In the news interview, it was revealed that his patrol car's right-turn signal had ceased working, and he couldn't figure out how to get off I-65.:D :D

captmojo
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Obviously this trooper was not from Greensboro,NC, where turn signals are viewed as "optional equipment".:D

ArnieMc
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I had to go to Cincinnati once. I must have gotten on the wrong plane or something, because my flight landed in Kentucky. But every map I checked said Cincinnati was in Ohio. I was confused as all hell. I had a similar experience, but in reverse. My daughter was getting her PhD from Kentucky. We went to visit her and ended up in that funny shaped building in Cincinnati. It was all right though. Once she graduated from Kentucky, she moved to Lexington.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Depends on the age group. I'm younger than most of the people here, and I honestly don't view Kentucky any differently than, say, Kansas or Indiana (in terms of how I root for teams). The older ones though.... whole other story.

While it's easy to think that one knows what somebody else is thinking, I learned a long time ago that one never really knows what's in somebody else's mind or heart.

mus074
01-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Last year, Minnesota went 9-22. This year they are now 12-4 after a close loss to a very good IU team. Their offense has improved from 191st to 64th and defense from 92nd to 26th.

Last year, UK went 21-11. So far they are 7-8 this year. Their offense was 9th, now 87th, defense was 34th, now 54th.

Tell that to a Cats fan and watch them shake their head. Tubby knew exactly what he was doing in picking his departure time on his terms.

Hurley2Hill
01-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Wait...there's a Duke-Kentucky THING????

*runs search for Aminu Timberlake* (http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-msgr&p=aminu%20timberlake)

2 mentions of Laettner on the first screen.

*winks at #5*

KenTankerous
01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Tell that to a Cats fan and watch them shake their head. Tubby knew exactly what he was doing in picking his departure time on his terms.

As a Kentucky fan, I'm ashamed at how Tubby was treated at Kentucky. I think he is a very good coach and, had he been given the support that his predecessors enjoyed, he could have built a national championship contender. With what he is doing at Minnesota and the terrible start Kentucky has had under Billy G, I think my fellow fans here in the Bluegrass have been rudely awakened to the fact that elite coaches are not going to want this job unless things - specifically fan and media expectations - change.

It is yet another testiment to the quality of the Duke program that Krzyzewski is a lifer and is grooming Dawkins to take over when he does retire. This should carry Duke for at least another 25 years as an elite program. Who knows, if Duke continues to play at this level for that long, they may - may - one day catch up to Kentucky in head to head games and possibly even Championship Banners.

Carlos
01-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Obviously this trooper was not from Greensboro,NC, where turn signals are viewed as "optional equipment".:D

We don't use turn signals in Raleigh. They're a sign of weakness.

jaytoc
01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Kentankerous-

Of course the Cats have a big lead in national championships. I believe, however, that Duke has a comfortable lead over Kentucky in head to head meetings.

jimsumner
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Kentucky holds an 11-8 overall lead. K is 4-1, however. Kentucky leads 3-2 in NCAA Tournament games.

KenTankerous
01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Here is a link to a nice site that details the history of the series between UK & Duke. Very interesting reading. The stakes are almost always high and the games excellent when we do play each other.

http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/rivalDuke.html

Johnboy
01-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Kentankerous-

Of course the Cats have a big lead in national championships. I believe, however, that Duke has a comfortable lead over Kentucky in head to head meetings.

You must have been thinking of you know who (http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/NorthCarolina.html).

monkey
01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
You must have been thinking of you know who (http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/NorthCarolina.html).

Who - Voldemort?

CrazyCat
01-19-2008, 10:14 PM

Oh no kidding. Although I live in Chi-Town now, I always thought when living in NC that a turn signal was one of those extra added features that I got stuck paying for on my car that I didn't actually need, like the upgraded floor mats.