PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here...

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Just now found this bulletin board and decided I needed to join (Can't believe its not blocked by my works firewalls).

Have been a lifelong Duke fan with my dad bringing me up that way (since before I could walk as evidenced in old family photos), my first memories of watching Duke come from the 85/86 season during Dawkins and Co's run to the title game only to lose to Louisville and Nervous Pervis. (I still hate Denny Crum :) )

Anyways, glad I seem to have found a good Duke board to post on, and look forward to many conversations on here with all of you.

dukebballcamper90-91
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
welcome, your Duke story sounds identical to mine, first memories....etc.
This is a cool place.

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Thats cool, and thanks for the welcome. I just replied in another thread you had commented in about being at Duke BBall camp the same years you were, according to your screenname.

As for that title game, I remember it like it was yesterday, my dad yelling at Dawkins to "Shoot the **** ball!!!" during the 2nd half, some of Louisville's players sitting on the rim after the game (for some reason that stood out to me as a 9 year old at the time).

elvis14
01-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Just thought I'd say welcome. You might find this forum a bit different than most.....we are actually civil to each other and posts tend to be meaningful :D I love the signal to noise ratio here, something you won't find on too many boards.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
welcome, your Duke story sounds identical to mine, first memories....etc.
This is a cool place.

similar to my first memories too. I wrote one of my essays in my application to Duke about going to the '86 final four as toddler (1.5 yrs old) and chanting "al-a-rie! al-a-rie!" up and down the aisles of the plane. I don't really remember it but ive seen the pictures...

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Glad to hear that. I own a bb myself for the NFC South (Panthers fan here) and its not very often that we have a serious football discussion on there, mainly fans fighting back and forth that I end up having to sort out, so thats a nice change of pace. Thanks for the welcome as well.

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
I have a picture of my daughter in a Duke onesie (She was only about 6 months old in it, now is 2.5 years old) that I am trying to train right from the beginning. I would post the picture now but I don't see the upload feature. Her mother is trying to turn her into a UK fan, but I shouldn't have much of a problem winning, considering Duke is on TV 100% of the time, while UK only is on every so often around our area.

dukebballcamper90-91
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Duke BBall camp was the stuff. I think I played on Brown in the IVY league. And if you really remember anything strange things about people there I was the one with the BATMAN symbol cut in the back of my hair. I remember Bobby Hurley chillin outside of CIS in a Geo Tracker and Laettner (my all time fav) pulling up in like a black honda or acura with some chicks.

EarlJam
01-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Welcome aboard!

Post often, and be sure to visit and post Off Topic as well.

Are you a Blue Jay fan? From Toronto? We discuss a lot of baseball on the Off Topic board. I visited SkyDome (now Rogers Centre) for the first time in September of last year. Very impressive place.

There are a lot of Braves and O's fans on the board. Tilly and I are O's fans. Not much to pull for of late. :mad:

-EarlJam

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 01:58 PM
No, the Jay in my sn is short for my name, Jason, but most people just call me Jay for some reason. I'm a Red Sox fan, but only started following them in the early 90's so I can't claim to be a lifer with them, grew up watching the Braves and idolizing Dale Murphy, but finally got fed up with Ted Turner's crap with not retaining any talent, and soured on them. I guess I follow the Braves in the NL, Red Sox in the AL (and no, I don't own any championship merchandise for them).

As for Camper, I'm pretty sure I remember playing for Cornell in the IVY league as well....interesting we probably played against each other. I recall something about a Batman symbol honestly I think. I have a 'birthmark' on the back of my head, where my hair for some reason is really light and its in the shape of a Batman symbol, but wasn't done intentionally. First year I was down there, I got in a bit of trouble with Gaudet for me and a group of guys running around upstairs in Cameron, and someone broke a trophy case (wasn't me I swear!)

Do you happen to recall on the last day of camp one of those years, when Coach K was coming in to Cameron for a group talk, and they lowered the goals down over Coach K Court and let two teams finish their game on the actual floor there? If you do, that was my team playing and I actually got to play on the real floor instead of those side goals. The guy I was guarding hit the game winning 3 right in my face, in front of the entire camp. Super Cameron memory for me *ha*

dukebballcamper90-91
01-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I can vaguely remember that game. That is awesome and one heck of a memory, not 2 many fans of their team can say the played on their team's surface. My Dad was a worker/coach at Duke camp for a couple of years, I think he did defense stations on the outside courts or something like that, he still has his adidas coaches shirt and clipboard. He developed a good relationship with Gaudet and I think he was cool with David Henderson. Around this same time my brother was a Duke Ball Boy, man was he lucky. I love hearing Duke stories like these. I remember the first year we were there and some guys from Va was on the same floor, said their cousin was coming to Duke, Grant Hill, they had a news paper clipping with him signing, didn't no if they were telling the truth or not but who cares.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the board!!! :D

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

colchar
01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
I was the one with the BATMAN symbol cut in the back of my hair.

That is wrong in so many ways.

colchar
01-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I visited SkyDome (now Rogers Centre) for the first time in September of last year. Very impressive place.

Really?!? We tend to dislike the place. Then again, I guess it might be a case of familiarity breeding contempt.

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Camper, do you happen to remember a kid at that camp, played on my team actually (Cornell) and his name was Jamal? I can't remember his last name, but he was pretty much the star player for our age group and was a Durham local. (Had a fro like Kid from Kid n Play as well)

TillyGalore
01-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Hey BlueDevilJay, Welcome to the board!! Glad to see some natives of NC who are also Duke fans.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Off Topic Board. That place is hoppin' and usually pretty funny, especially when there is down time between seasons (and sometimes during the season).

Tilly

DukePA
01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Welcome! I am pleased to see that you are a fantastic father! Keep up the good work. When something good happens in my family, the first thing we say is, "Go to Hell carolina." My son was the first grandson born into our family, and of course the first time my Dad saw him, the first words out of his mouth were, GTHC! Nothing like excellent family tradition.

Donna

dukepsy1963
01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome, welcome, welcome. This board is the place to talk about all kinds of stuff!! Main board, Off Topic, and Public Policy...they are all good. Good people too with a common love and cause!!!

Are you a bird watcher?................:;)

Go Duke!!!

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 07:49 PM
LOL and thanks for the welcome everyone. Good to be here.

TillyGalore
01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Welcome! I am pleased to see that you are a fantastic father! Keep up the good work. When something good happens in my family, the first thing we say is, "Go to Hell carolina." My son was the first grandson born into our family, and of course the first time my Dad saw him, the first words out of his mouth were, GTHC! Nothing like excellent family tradition.

Donna

That is an awesome tradition!!