PDA

View Full Version : Nice Cutcliffe feature

wilson
01-16-2008, 10:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3197193&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

He's certainly saying all the right things. Though my head keeps telling me not to, I just can't help but be excited about the Coach Cut era.

Shammrog
01-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Well, it sure sounds like we have the right guy in place... hard not to be excited! Go Coach Cutcliffe!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3197193&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

Bluedog
01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Wilson already linked this article under "Nice Cutcliffe feature." ;) But, anyways, very enjoyable article to read! I'm excited!

Johnboy
01-16-2008, 11:41 AM

He's certainly saying all the right things. Though my head keeps telling me not to, I just can't help but be excited about the Coach Cut era.

I think there's a good reason to be optimistic this time: the commitment of the Administration, which is to say, $$. Duke is finally going to get up off its check book and support the program like it has not in the past. We are going to have a real BCS level program.

wilson
01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I was really surprised when the admins ponied up $2 million for Coach Cut. Then I was really, really surprised to read this morning that our stable of assistants will be paid more collectively than their counterparts at Tennessee. I wonder, however, why the powers that be waited long enough for the program to become a complete embarrassment before making this kind of commitment.

Indoor66
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I was really surprised when the admins ponied up $2 million for Coach Cut. Then I was really, really surprised to read this morning that our stable of assistants will be paid more collectively than their counterparts at Tennessee. I wonder, however, why the powers that be waited long enough for the program to become a complete embarrassment before making this kind of commitment.

Why don't we just enjoy the fact that they did rather than attempt to play a fault or blame game?

wilson
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Why don't we just enjoy the fact that they did rather than attempt to play a fault or blame game?

Trust me, my overwhelming feeling is of excitement and gratitude. However, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask why it took so long. I'm also not really interested in assigning blame, just wondering, why now?

killerleft
01-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I, too, have wondered what took so long.

What is different now than in years past?

One word: lacrosse. I hate to feel like this, but many of the same people who were critical of the administration's handling of the lacrosse fiasco are very happy that Duke will finally have a chance to field a winning football team.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd be very relieved to find out that my conclusion is faulty. But it may always linger in my mind. I don't know that we'll ever find out one way or the other.

OldPhiKap
01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I agree with both of you.

It is wonderful that we are showing top shelf commitment to our program. I, too, wonder how we let it slide to where it was. I don't want blame -- I just want to make sure we identify the reason so we do not repeat it.

In Cut we Trust.

Indoor66
01-16-2008, 01:06 PM

One word: lacrosse. I hate to feel like this, but many of the same people who were critical of the administration's handling of the lacrosse fiasco are very happy that Duke will finally have a chance to field a winning football team.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd be very relieved to find out that my conclusion is faulty. But it may always linger in my mind. I don't know that we'll ever find out one way or the other.

I guess it is just me, but I don't understand why this is an issue. I guess that is why the Enquirer is published - Inquiring Minds Want To Know! Sometimes events have unintended or unanticipated consequences. That can be a good or not so good thing. If the LAX situation results in added Football support, that may be a good thing. To me, the WHY of it is, generally, very unimportant. I like to focus on the IT, not the WHY.

killerleft
01-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I guess it is just me, but I don't understand why this is an issue. I guess that is why the Enquirer is published - Inquiring Minds Want To Know! Sometimes events have unintended or unanticipated consequences. That can be a good or not so good thing. If the LAX situation results in added Football support, that may be a good thing. To me, the WHY of it is, generally, very unimportant. I like to focus on the IT, not the WHY.

I agree, Indoor 66. We are from the same generation. Having followed Duke football for so long, I am delighted that finally - FINALLY! - the Blue Devils will have the chance to be a real college football competitor again. This is like a dream come true.

And I certainly have no concrete evidence that what I surmise is true, anyway. But people DO wonder, why now? I just gave my opinion.

RPS
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Having followed Duke football for so long, I am delighted that finally - FINALLY! - the Blue Devils will have the chance to be a real college football competitor again. This is like a dream come true.The signs are all positive and that's great news. The commitment will need to be ongoing, of course, but I'm cautiously optimistic even about that. Unfortunately, it comes too late for my immediate family (my son has commited to Cal for the fall), but I'll still be looking for my school to begin a lasting and winning football tradition and cheering the team on, even from a different stadium.

cowetarock
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM

I think the day Duke would make a new commitment to football was inevitable once the fight against expansion was lost. I also think the timing has much more to do what our fellow holdout has done recently about its football team and facilities than the lax imbroglio.

killerleft
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I think the day Duke would make a new commitment to football was inevitable once the fight against expansion was lost. I also think the timing has much more to do what our fellow holdout has done recently about its football team and facilities than the lax imbroglio.

I hope that you are correct. My view incorporates some cynicism regarding the administration and it's priorities and motives, obviously.

But saying that a commitment to football was inevitable after all these years is stretching your point a long, long way. To be the program we have been has taken a strong commitment, in my view.

Mike Corey
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM

With all due respect, KillerLeft, I'm not sure this makes much sense: Do you truly think the powers at be at Duke decided to pursue a better football program because they thought it would appease some of those they'd upset during the Year of Discontent?

I'd posit the following:

Duke now has a university president that recognizes the good that will come from having a championship-caliber football program, and recognizes the bad that has come from having a bottom-dweller.

I can't speak to whether or not previous presidents felt similarly, or why they may not have been persuaded in the past, but I feel very confident in saying that the correlation between the lacrosse situation and the attempts at ameliorating Duke football are slim, if existent at all.

365Duke
01-17-2008, 02:57 PM
many of the same people who were critical of the administration's handling of the lacrosse fiasco are very happy that Duke will finally have a chance to field a winning football team.

who specifically? Former athletes? The city of Durham? The NAACP? Jesse Jackson? Why would they be happy about our football team?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-17-2008, 03:20 PM
With all due respect, KillerLeft, I'm not sure this makes much sense: Do you truly think the powers at be at Duke decided to pursue a better football program because they thought it would appease some of those they'd upset during the Year of Discontent?

I'd posit the following:

Duke now has a university president that recognizes the good that will come from having a championship-caliber football program, and recognizes the bad that has come from having a bottom-dweller.

I can't speak to whether or not previous presidents felt similarly, or why they may not have been persuaded in the past, but I feel very confident in saying that the correlation between the lacrosse situation and the attempts at ameliorating Duke football are slim, if existent at all.

No one has mentioned Coach K's comments after a basketball game the weekend after the Carolina game. He was very professional but clear that we should aspire to be champions in every thing we do. When asked whether Ted Roof had had the resources needed for the program to succeed, Coach K simply said that he wasn't sure that the resources were there. Coach K's comments and interest in the football program could have been a helpful influence in getting the administration off the dime. Coincidence? Maybe.

killerleft
01-17-2008, 05:05 PM

I'd posit the following:

I don't necessarily think that the Year of Discontent is the main factor. As others and you have posted, there could be those reasons and others for the turnaround in thinking. And you could be absolutely correct.

Then again, appeasement is not a far-fetched idea at all. Is it a factor? Hope not. Could be. We won't find out, so I guess I shouldn't have brought it up. And I am glad that Football has a chance to be respectable, at the very least.

OldPhiKap
01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I think that Wake's improvement has more to do with it than anything. But it seems reasonable to assume that Alleva and others feel some pressure on them from the LAX issue to show why they should still be in their present positions. So I would not discount it entirely as A factor -- just not THE factor.

JMHO.

Mike Corey
01-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Great point about Wake.

But I think its impact was more indirect rather than direct. I feel justified, based on some conversations I've had with former football players, in saying that Wake's success has empowered alums--and others with the administration's ear--to go to Duke and say, "See, they can do it. So can we. We'll help if you do your part."

The result is the coaching staff we've got. The result will hopefully be the dramatic improvement to facilities. The result will hopefully be the kind of football program that best serves the student body, the school, the community, alums, etc.

buddy
01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
I think there were many factors, but it would be irresponsible to ignore the effect of the lacrosse affair. Many heavy hitters are very interested in football, including some member of the BOT. Brodhead had to satisfy many constituencies in the face of his handling of the lacrosse affair, and one of them was football. The time was right. That said, I'm just glad the administration has made a commitment. I remember when Wade was full on Saturday afternoons (with metal bleachers around the stadium for more seats). Today the students use games as an excuse to get drunk, but rarely sully the inside of the stadium. Opposing fans regularly outnumber Duke fans. I certainly hope that changes. Whatever the reason, this looks like the most promising move with respect to football since Steve Spurrier. And unlike the ol' ball coach, I don't think Cut will bail in three years for greener pastures.