PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Boynton recruitment

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick Yates
07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/kevin_armstrong/07/11/boynton/index.html

The above is a very good article on Boynton, who Duke recently offered (class of 09). This a huge recruit for Duke, one that I think Duke is well situated for. He sounds very impressed with Duke and K.

I know Ken has been on our radar for a few years, and the timing is right. He is a 6-2 combo guard. His frosh year is the Sr. year of Paulus. Right now Ken operates as a off-guard, but his size and ball skills mean that he will move to the pg. He is an athletic scoring pg, not unlike J-Will, who would be a good fit at Duke given our need for GP's eventual replacement, and his need to take a year to acclimate to playing PG at college. He may end up at Oak hill next year.

This is a big battle for Duke. I like us as well as anyone, cause FL, who I feared was a lock for him, got a 4 year Pg last year, opening Boynton up. IF we can get Boynton, then that could start a river of recruits heading to duke to play with an elite PG prospect. Fingers Crossed.

Patrick Yates

Bob Green
07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I've been impressed with everything I've read about Boynton. He is indeed special. He is Class of 2009, so Paulus will have graduated when (if) Boynton arrives at Duke.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Patrick Yates
07-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Yeah my bad on the math. I was posting as the ol' boss was yapping about something.

Instant Starter for KB, depending on where Nolan Smith ends up, but it could very well be that by the 09-10 season at Duke, there are plenty of minutes in the backcourt, leaving K free to run two pgs at once, a la 01-02.

Get in the truck KB.

Patrick Yates

ryan21baller
11-14-2007, 12:35 AM
They are doing a documentary on Kenny Boyntons team and Coach K comes to visit.. also nice footage of KB practicing.

Watch: http://benoticedproductions.com/portfolio.shtml

also the elite 24 game is coming on ESPN 2 right now after the UCLA game (12:30 am/et)

watzone
01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Get ready Cameron Crazies! Duke's top 2009 prospect, Kenny Boynton Jr. will visit Durham during the Duke-UNC game on March 8th at 9:00 EST.

My members knew this, but seeing how ESPNU just messed with my milk money;)

Seriously, I will have to remind you of this very important visit during a very important game. BTW, Boynton had 23 points at the half this evening.

SeattleIrish
01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
I know there are some current students who will be attending the game (if they get in) - I'm hoping some creative folks can put together a nice welcome for KB.

s.i.

365Duke
01-15-2008, 10:50 PM
he ended up with 43 pts..... unfortunately the rest of his team combined only scored 27 more in a blowout loss:( he is very impressive though:D

2001dukechamps
01-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Plain and simple from what I saw he is even more J-Will like then I thought. His team to say the least IMO looked like a below-average HS team. So they had no other option but to let Boynton touch the ball on almost every possesion. While he did force things a bit (so did J-Will a few times during his career) he had to unless his they would have got beat alot worse then 20+. From what I saw he hit about 4 or 5 3's, some were from NBA range and his quickness and speed...oh boy!...IMHO he easily rivals Lawson. He also has a exceptional handle and he can dribble through traffic. If their is one thing he needs to improve on is his shooting motion but he does have a pretty floater even when he was off balanced. At first I didn't know or believe he was as good as most of us were saying but now after seeing him with my own eyes, I must admit this kid has a chance to be VERY VERY SPECIAL. The sooner K locks him up the better. He is a typical Duke championship calibur guard to say the least.

2001dukechamps
01-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Hopefully after seeing the Cameron Crazies at their best and us beating the holes, he will immediately commit to Duke and fight the good fight...:D

DukeBlood
01-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Can anyone else comment on how good he is or could be?

I was helping friends and lost track of time. I was disappointed that i couldn't watch the game. Oh well, Still was a good night.

Sounds like he has alot of positives. What about the negatives?

Bob Green
01-16-2008, 05:03 AM
His team to say the least IMO looked like a below-average HS team.

Kenny Boynton's team, American Heritage, played without two starters: 6'10" Center Eloy Vargas and Point Guard Ray Taylor.

Uncle Drew
01-16-2008, 05:27 AM
I realize The Crazies will be and always are in top form for UNC. But might not it have been better to get Kenny Boynton to visit Cameron on a game other than UNC this year? A game we know we are going to win (or are a HUGE point favorite)? Yes no ACC game is a guaranteed win, and if Duke pulls out a win against the hated heels all the better.

I'm sure people will say a win or loss when a high profile guy is in the building doesn't matter. We had that Alex Rodrigez guy in the building for several basketball games and he never signed on to play Duke baseball.

Bob Green
01-16-2008, 06:27 AM
...But might not it have been better to get Kenny Boynton to visit Cameron on a game other than UNC this year?

IMO, the UNC game is the absolute pefect date for Boynton to visit Duke. He will be able to experience the rivalry first hand. Bringing KB in to watch Duke play Carolina in Cameron is our trump card.

Jumbo
01-16-2008, 06:29 AM
It's a good thing they have two months to prepare! ;)

Uncle Drew
01-16-2008, 07:05 AM
IMO, the UNC game is the absolute pefect date for Boynton to visit Duke. He will be able to experience the rivalry first hand. Bringing KB in to watch Duke play Carolina in Cameron is our trump card.

It's impossible to tell what is going through most recuits heads these days and what truly matters most to them. I agree the Duke / UNC game will show him a Duke home game at it's most crazy, on a national stage and I think we all know the crazies will have some cheers in mind just for him.

That being said if Duke were to (God forbid) get blown out I hope it wouldn't deter him from giving Duke a verbal. (He isn't considering UNC too correct?) I do know football recruits that were considering Michigan and Ohio State in previous years have been brought to that big game by both schools. And it's no surprise the winner seemed to get verbal commitments soon after.

Troublemaker
01-16-2008, 08:34 AM

I was helping friends and lost track of time. I was disappointed that i couldn't watch the game. Oh well, Still was a good night.

My impression of Boynton from seeing him about a year ago (I didn't watch last night) is this:

Start with J-Will.

Now, subtract some quickness, speed, leaping ability, strength, and overall physical explosiveness. Don't get me wrong, Boynton is plenty athletic but I wouldn't compare his speed to Lawson nor his overall athleticism to J-Will. Of course, at the time I saw him, he was just a sophomore in high school so he can and should grow athletically. Also, subtract some point guard skills. Boynton's biggest adjustment in college will be learning to play with teammates, make them better and share the ball.

Okay, here's the good part. ADD better free throw shooting, better pull-up (a signature of his), better overall midrange game, better body control in the lane and around the basket (he's elite here), and better use of the glass to score (he really understands angles). He's very nifty in getting his shot off with touch. Boynton is an elite-level scoring guard and probably the most skilled scorer at guard in his class. He's already doing things skill-wise (like his pullup) that most guards don't learn until they're upperclassmen in college or perhaps never learn at all. His ability to shoot well at all 3 levels (3-pt, midrange, basket) makes him arguably the best shooter in high school.

2001dukechamps
01-16-2008, 08:35 AM

Well since I already mentioned his positives, I'll mention his negatives:
(Based of that one game I saw)

He tends to force some things whether it is a shot or a flashy pass..
He has a slightly awkward shooting motion, it is quick and has a nice ark to it though...
His defense at this stage is below-average...but K and Co. can fix that easily since he has the skill and athleticism to become a good or even great defender...I think part of it is his technique...
oh and he didn't have that "Duke" hustle in him...K will fix that too...

Carlos
01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Mr. Boynton will not be the only recruit in town that game either. I think he'll be joined by one of the characters from Entourage.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
It's impossible to tell what is going through most recuits heads these days and what truly matters most to them. I agree the Duke / UNC game will show him a Duke home game at it's most crazy, on a national stage and I think we all know the crazies will have some cheers in mind just for him.

That being said if Duke were to (God forbid) get blown out I hope it wouldn't deter him from giving Duke a verbal. (He isn't considering UNC too correct?) I do know football recruits that were considering Michigan and Ohio State in previous years have been brought to that big game by both schools. And it's no surprise the winner seemed to get verbal commitments soon after.

I don't think Carolina is recruiting him. They already have Marshall and Larry Drew to go along with Frazier for the next couple of years (assuming Lawson leaves) so they are in no real need of another point guard. Besides, they have to be about out of scholarships aren't they? :confused:

Troublemaker
01-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Re: Boynton's shooting motion, he kinda does the Larry Bird thing where he cocks the ball a bit farther back. He's probably been doing it since he was 5 and I don't think any coach will tinker with it because, well, the ball goes in when he shoots it.

I would say the quick summary of Kenny Boynton would be great shooter/touch from all over the floor and needs to learn how to share the ball.

speedevil
01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
nice job with the heading of this topic watzone, not vauge like someothers

watzone
01-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Mr. Boynton will not be the only recruit in town that game either. I think he'll be joined by one of the characters from Entourage.

That's milk money:)

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
That's milk money:)

I have heard the same as well. Two recruits at the Carolina game!!!

watzone
01-16-2008, 10:42 AM
I have heard the same as well. Two recruits at the Carolina game!!!

It's true, but I can't give all the milk money out. While it may seem trivial, subscribers pay to get info well ahead of the curve at my site. For what it's worth, that info is now on three pay sites. I will tell you that it is one of three players. That at least narrows it down for some. Trust me, well before gametime, I will make sure everybody knows.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
It's true, but I can't give all the milk money out. While it may seem trivial, subscribers pay to get info well ahead of the curve at my site. For what it's worth, that info is now on three pay sites. I will tell you that it is one of three players. That at least narrows it down for some. Trust me, well before gametime, I will make sure everybody knows.

I've already heard the name too, my brother told me I just can't remember who the other is. But I won't ruin your info Watzone and keep it to myself. ;)

watzone
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I've already heard the name too, my brother told me I just can't remember who the other is. But I won't ruin your info Watzone and keep it to myself. ;)

Well, as I said on the premium (not that expensive) boards at the Blue Devil Nation, "Every ridiculous incident costs money unless real people have Yahoo."

allenmurray
01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I will be glad to go to the effort to mnake nice "Welcome" banners to be displayed at the game. I know it is a lot of work, so if you'll just give me your tickets . . .

crote
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Tarvold's going to be there?

Carlos
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Well played...

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I will tell you that it is one of three players. That at least narrows it down for some. Trust me, well before gametime, I will make sure everybody knows.

Well I hate to break it to ya but he already gave away the name with his clue below.

I won't reveal it, but a quick glance of the 5 main characters on entourage vs. our 4 recruits makes it pretty easy. I mean we arent recruiting anyone named Ari, Vince, Turtle, or Johnny...

watzone
01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, as I said on the premium (not that expensive) boards at the Blue Devil Nation, "Every ridiculous incident costs money unless real people have Yahoo."

Well, if you can't figure it out between what Carlos said and the quote above ...:eek:

Whoops! Thars a mispellin letter hint in the clue.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Whoops! Thars a mispellin letter hint in the clue.

huh? I know who we are talking about and I don't see any mispellings in carlos' post and i don't see how the "thars" is related to this guys name.

are you talking about the two diffrerent ways you could potentially spell this recruit's first name (and the fact that he uses the less common form)?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Quote:
"Tarvold's going to be there?"

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I hope Ari does commit. His energy and aggressiveness would really do wonders for Duke (and I hear he and Lloyd are a package deal) :)

Carlos
01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Credit goes to Jumbo on the Entourage reference.

Also, I'm not sure how great a player Ari would be, but he would be a great assistant coach on the recruiting trail.

alteran
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM

Also, I'm not sure how great a player Ari would be, but he would be a great assistant coach on the recruiting trail.

I'd worry about NCAA violations-- but Ari could probably fix that, too.

dukelifer
01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Maybe it is me- but I find High School basketball almost unwatchable- it is so up and down- poor fundamentals - lots of one-one-one- hmmm sounds a bit like the NBA- but is with young kids trying to play like NBAers. Anyway- in the small part of the game I watched- I like Boynton- he is smooth- does not try to impress with some dazzling play when not needed- has a great handle and is a competitor. He had a bad thumb last night which may have affected him- but all in all- he is an elite guard. If Duke gets him- they will get a fine player. Coming to Duke will improve his D which is probably behind his O.

phaedrus
01-16-2008, 06:40 PM

"I paid two grand for these seats! I'll get out there and launch a three if I want!"

watzone
01-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Oh well! The cryptic visitor just commited to Florida over Duke.

yancem
01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Does anyone know why we didn't recruit Vargas? Was he a shoe in for FL or were we not interested? I watched a game with him and Boynton a month or so ago and he looked pretty impressive.

mepanchin
01-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh well! The cryptic visitor just commited to Florida over Duke.

Oh that sucks. Hope we still look good with Painter

shadowfax336
01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I loved the cryptic hint anyway Watzone...

"Carolina often doesn't even see any reasonable explanation for undertaking nonsense taught in most every school"

ya know... like learning things

ivduke
01-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I love the sound of this kid.....

My question to others on DBR is this:

Is anyone else worried that hi mother wants someone (Coach K preferrably) to say that they need Kenny?

Is that something anyone here thinks will come out of K's mouth?

I ask because I think this kid is someone we should get, but I know in the past we have lost kids because we don't make committments to kids on playing time/touches, etc (and rightfully so--not here to argue that point).

Appreciate any reasoning you may be willing to offer.

Patrick Yates
01-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Loathe though we are to admit it. He is good, and we will probably have good players when he arrives. Almost certainly, Smith, Scheyer, and Williams will be here when he arrives. But, there is a high probability that Hendo and/or Singler will not be here when he arrives. A good summer from Hendo will get him ready for next year, a projected weak draft in a year when he could well be one of the best players in the ACC. Same for Singler.

When Boyton arrives, for the 09-10 season, Duke may be looking at a year when we have to replace one of, if not both of, our best scorers. Boynton will fit that need. And I read thatguote in the article not as a request for x number of minutes or shots, but rather a family's desire that their star player child goes into a situation where he has the ability to play early and often. I think Duk will fulfill that desire, given K's willingness to play a boat load of guards.

However, I do have a question for the board. Everyone here has been gung ho on this player. At the same time, many here have expressed a desire to avoid going after the so called one-and-done type of players, usually the elite bigs in a class.

Given that he is drawing comparison to Iverson, Wade, and Kobe, at least so far as point production, how long do you think he will spend in college? If he is this good of a scorer, he might not be here more than one or two years. He might not say it, but few of the one-and-dones come right out and say as much. Does anyone else think this kid sounds like a short term player (not that that is in any way, shape, or form, a bad thing), or is just me?

Patrick Yates

mr. synellinden
01-22-2008, 12:49 PM
It sounds to me like he is everything we could want out of a recruit these days. He is obviously supremely talented and can score from anywhere on the court. He comes from a family that has expressed the importance of education ("graduation rate matters") ("Academics will play a role") ("makes sure her son stays in his books") and the coach-player relationship ("Boynton says he is looking for a strong relationship with a coach, a chance of playing as a freshman, a running style" - which of those don't we offer) in the recruiting process. Boynton himself in the article says: "I just want a good image, good character traits for people to remember me as."

That SOUNDS like the exact kind of player we want. And it sounds like we offer everything he wants. Will he stay in college only 1 year? Maybe. Will he stay four years? Maybe. Did we think Deng was going to leave after 1 year? The point is you never know.

I don't understand how can there be any negativity after reading this. I realize there's always some pessimism when it comes to recruiting. But I read that and say to myself - this is a match made in heaven.

And I don't think we NEED any recruit nor would Coach K ever say so. If we don't get Boynton, I am sure we will find enough players to field a starting team in 2009.

SeattleIrish
01-22-2008, 01:39 PM
It sounds to me like he is everything we could want out of a recruit these days. He is obviously supremely talented and can score from anywhere on the court. He comes from a family that has expressed the importance of education ("graduation rate matters") ("Academics will play a role") ("makes sure her son stays in his books") and the coach-player relationship ("Boynton says he is looking for a strong relationship with a coach, a chance of playing as a freshman, a running style" - which of those don't we offer) in the recruiting process. Boynton himself in the article says: "I just want a good image, good character traits for people to remember me as."

That SOUNDS like the exact kind of player we want. And it sounds like we offer everything he wants. Will he stay in college only 1 year? Maybe. Will he stay four years? Maybe. Did we think Deng was going to leave after 1 year? The point is you never know.

I don't understand how can there be any negativity after reading this. I realize there's always some pessimism when it comes to recruiting. But I read that and say to myself - this is a match made in heaven.

And I don't think we NEED any recruit nor would Coach K ever say so. If we don't get Boynton, I am sure we will find enough players to field a starting team in 2009.

Boynton's dad also offered up a quote suggesting he would be in college long enough to come close to getting his degree (3 years, with a lot of summer work, at Duke!).

The comment by his mom certainly jarred me, but one can't put too much emphasis on a single quote culled from a single article - who knows the context for that quote? Everything else about KB sounds like he's EXACTLY the type of player that would represent Duke well and be fun to watch. I'm sure hoping he signs.

Heck, if Coach K won't say it, I will. "I NEED YOU, KENNY!" Not sure that will pull quite as much weight, though :-(

s.i.

NYC Duke Fan
01-25-2008, 03:16 AM
If Ken Boynton is as good as he is suppose to be why would he consider coming to Duke when he would be sharing time in the backcourt with Smith, Henderson , Scheyer and Williams ? He could go to a school and be ,"the guy", right away similar to Jason Williams, Bobby Hurley, Lawson at UNC to name just a few .

thomas
01-25-2008, 05:40 AM
...that recruits and their families do read these boards. Not that they are naive,but don't you think we should leave the negative recruiting to the competing programs, and stay on the positive, welcoming road? Furthermore, we have no idea what the staff knows about players going pro or transferring (not that anyone is that I know of).

Having watched Boynton on tv, he is a special player. He will play wherever he goes.

Just my opinion.

Bob Green
01-25-2008, 05:51 AM
If Ken Boynton is as good as he is suppose to be why would he consider coming to Duke ...?

1. He will receive a quality education.
2. He will play for the best coach in the business.
3. He will play on National TV all the time.
4. He will compete for Championships...

...shall I continue?

dukemomLA
01-25-2008, 05:52 AM
If Kenny is looking for a GREAT BB experience and also the best education possible, he and his family would be fools to not get him to Duke. Can't say more............. So Boytons -- the decision is easy. Welcome Kenny!!

Bob Green
01-25-2008, 05:56 AM
It would help if we could at least spell his name correctly...it is BOYNTON.

Carlos
01-25-2008, 08:41 AM
If Ken Boynton is as good as he is suppose to be why would he consider coming to Duke when he would be sharing time in the backcourt with Smith, Henderson , Scheyer and Williams ? He could go to a school and be ,"the guy", right away similar to Jason Williams, Bobby Hurley, Lawson at UNC to name just a few .

Maybe for the same reason that some recruit named Brand decided to come to Duke in a class that included Chris Burgess and Shane Battier.

freedevil
01-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I've expressed a lot of angst over Duke's frontcourt recruiting on this board. I wish Duke would cast a wider net, focus more on the frontcourt, etc. I also have some issues with Duke's talent evaluation of frontcourt recruits before they even offer schollies...

BUT - I'm starting to notice people here trying to convince the rest of this board that we aren't recruiting the right backcourt players? Am I wrong here? Duke's guard recruitment has always been phenomenal. NYC Duke Fan and PY and Silky, I may be taking your posts the wrong way, but Kenny Boynton would be an outstanding addition to Duke. Why is this even up for discussion?????

Uncle Drew
01-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Heck, if Coach K won't say it, I will. "I NEED YOU, KENNY!" Not sure that will pull quite as much weight, though :-(

s.i.

Ummm Irish, that sounds really bad and I hope when Coach K says it he says Duke needs Kenny. I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

I would like every school to say this quote if we are fortunate enough to get a letter of intent from Boynton, "Oh my God Duke signed Kenny, you bastards"!

sagegrouse
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM

As Coach K days: "You can come to Duke and play with the best, or you can go to another school and play against the best."

sagegrouse
' The 270+ inches of snow here is making it difficult for my namesake bird to find food'

NYC Duke Fan
01-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe for the same reason that some recruit named Brand decided to come to Duke in a class that included Chris Burgess and Shane Battier.

Brand came together with them. Boynton would be coming with 4 established players on the team.

That said, I agree that Duke is one of the best places to play basketball given everything that it has to offer. I sincerely hope from what I read that Boynton does choose Duke. I f I had an influence over him I would travel down to Florida and try and convince him and his family to choose Duke right now.However, I think that one would have to be naiive to think that Duke is the ONLY great place to play basketball

NYC Duke Fan
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
1. He will receive a quality education.
2. He will play for the best coach in the business.
3. He will play on National TV all the time.
4. He will compete for Championships...

...shall I continue?

The same argument could be made for him going to UNC

ivduke
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
A thousand death wises to you for even suggesting he go to hell (kurlina)

somewhat sort of kidding but I think my point is easily identifiable.:mad:

SilkyJ
01-25-2008, 12:57 PM
BUT - I'm starting to notice people here trying to convince the rest of this board that we aren't recruiting the right backcourt players? Am I wrong here? Duke's guard recruitment has always been phenomenal. NYC Duke Fan and PY and Silky, I may be taking your posts the wrong way, but Kenny Boynton would be an outstanding addition to Duke. Why is this even up for discussion?????

I have NO idea what post you are referring to, but let me clear up my viewpoint: in no way shape or form am I dissatissfied with our backcourt recruitment and I believe KB would be an OUTSTANDING addition to Duke. As far as I'm concerned this is not up for discussion.

(now that I think of it, I think you might be referring to mine and troublemaker's discussion of whether we will have a "dearth" of guards when KB arrives. This had absolutely nothing to do with KB. We were just projecting out what our lineup would be in the 09-10 season, sans any freshman that might come, since none have committed yet. Again, if KB or his family are reading this: PLEASE COME TO DUKE!!!!!)

SilkyJ
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
The same argument could be made for him going to UNC

well, Duke is a better education, and you can only have one "best coach" in the business, and imho, its K, not Roy.

Got_Duke
01-26-2008, 01:58 AM
If Boynton wants to REALLY compete for championships he should really look at who Duke will most certainly (at this point) have once he arrives in 2009. That list looks like this:

Nolan Smith
Gerald Henderson (crossing fingers, i think he'll be a 4 year player)
Kyle Singler
Taylor King
Elliott Williams
Jon Scheyer
Lance Thomas
Marty Pocius (if marty got a redshirt?)
Olek Czyz

Then he should really look at who else Duke has their sights on for the 2009 class:

Lance Stephenson
John Wall
Leslie McDonald
Terrell Vinson
Deshawn Painter
Jamil Wilson
Mfon Udofia
Elijah Johnson
Jon Hood
Greg Echenique

*Those in BOLD = my wish list, i think those in bold, along with Boynton would meld greatly!

*These are all recruits within the Top 50 for 2009 (according to Rivals)

tecumseh
01-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I think bringing home the gold and being the heros of the 2008 Olympics will help our recruiting A LOT for this class. We all know the Olympics is hyped to death. The US does not seem to have a to have too many huge stars in other events except Michael Phelps. Heck if Coach K is smart and we know he is imagine if he went straight from Beijing to the high school of the number one target. As Casey Sanders said when Coach K is sitting across from you and offers you a scholarship "No" is not the first thought that pops into your head.

Madrasdukie
01-26-2008, 01:04 PM
he and his family would be fools to not get him to Duke.

I don't think it is in good taste to call Boynton's family "foolish" if they might consider sending him to a school besides Duke. It's a subjective decision.

More to the point, like a lot of people have stated we seem to be a great fit for Boynton, and the kid seems to be intrigued in us as well.

yancem
01-26-2008, 01:15 PM
If Boynton wants to REALLY compete for championships he should really look at who Duke will most certainly (at this point) have once he arrives in 2009. That list looks like this:

Nolan Smith
Gerald Henderson (crossing fingers, i think he'll be a 4 year player)
Kyle Singler
Taylor King
Elliott Williams
Jon Scheyer
Lance Thomas
Marty Pocius (if marty got a redshirt?)
Olek Czyz

Then he should really look at who else Duke has their sights on for the 2009 class:

Lance Stephenson
John Wall
Leslie McDonald
Terrell Vinson
Deshawn Painter
Jamil Wilson
Mfon Udofia
Elijah Johnson
Jon Hood
Greg Echenique

*Those in BOLD = my wish list, i think those in bold, along with Boynton would meld greatly!

*These are all recruits within the Top 50 for 2009 (according to Rivals)

I'm not sure that Duke is even considering half of those recruits! Even if they are, you think that Duke should sign 3 guards and only 1 big man? I think that we would be better off with Boynton, McDonald, Echenique and either Painter or Riley (which isn't on your list but I believe that Duke is now considering)

NYC Duke Fan
01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
well, Duke is a better education, and you can only have one "best coach" in the business, and imho, its K, not Roy.

Agree about the education. Roy may not be better that Coach K but he is surely his equivalent

jimsumner
01-26-2008, 02:46 PM
"Lance Stephenson
John Wall
Leslie McDonald
Terrell Vinson
Deshawn Painter
Jamil Wilson
Mfon Udofia
Elijah Johnson
Jon Hood
Greg Echenique"

To the best of my knowledge, Duke is not currently recruiting Stephenson, Wilson, Udofia, or Johnson. Wall is a longshot, Painter is on the maybe list, and Hood is a backup. Vinson may be an option.

Duke hopes to sign two of Boynton, McDonald and Hood and two big men from a list that starts with Echenique and includes with varying degrees of interest Painter, Plumlee, Riley, Kelly, and maybe a couple of others.

I believe the only firm scholarship offers are on the table to Boynton, McDonald, and Echenique.

2001dukechamps
01-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Agree about the education. Roy may not be better that Coach K but he is surely his equivalent

Now thats just BS, Roy is not and will never be K's equivalent the only thing Roy has over K is his winning percentage and thats it. K OWNS him in everything else. The only person from the holes who may have a arguement of being K equivalent is the Nose as of now but by the time K retires he will be superior to him as well.

Saratoga2
01-26-2008, 03:30 PM
"Lance Stephenson
John Wall
Leslie McDonald
Terrell Vinson
Deshawn Painter
Jamil Wilson
Mfon Udofia
Elijah Johnson
Jon Hood
Greg Echenique"

To the best of my knowledge, Duke is not currently recruiting Stephenson, Wilson, Udofia, or Johnson. Wall is a longshot, Painter is on the maybe list, and Hood is a backup. Vinson may be an option.

Duke hopes to sign two of Boynton, McDonald and Hood and two big men from a list that starts with Echenique and includes with varying degrees of interest Painter, Plumlee, Riley, Kelly, and maybe a couple of others.

I believe the only firm scholarship offers are on the table to Boynton, McDonald, and Echenique.

One big man you didn't mention is DaShonte Riley who recently has been mentioned in an article but who is not recognized by Scout.com as a Duke target. He is 6'10" , 220 and a 5 star recruit.

Saying that, we may have Nolan Smith, Jon Sheyer, Elliot Williams, Marty Pocius returning and possibly even Gerald Henderson. My guess is at least one of this group will go pro by 2009. Coming into a team with seasoned guards to learn from would be the best scenario for a young player like Kenny Boynton. He would get a lot of playing time on a team with national exposure and possibly a national championship caliber team. I would love to see his parents up in the crowd rooting him on starting in 2009.

The big men we would have coming back could be Kyle Singlar, if he stays for 3 years, Lance Thomas, Brian Zoubek and Taylor King. Add Echenique and one of your list above or Dashonte Riley and we have a terrific front court.

A team with 10 or more quality players would give depth, experience and excellent skill. I think coach K has put to bed any thoughts about only going with 6 players this year. When he has the quality players, he uses them.

jimsumner
01-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I did mention Riley.

FWIW, Echenique is the only one of the big men with whom Duke is currently involved that couldn't use a few pounds. The others are all on the wrong side of some protein shakes.

Madrasdukie
01-26-2008, 03:54 PM
The only person from the holes who may have a arguement of being K equivalent is the Nose as of now but by the time K retires he will be superior to him as well.

Even he, is a championship short of K amongst other things.

Blueequalslife23
05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Has Kenny set a decision period or is his decision just going to come whenever he chooses?

JasonEvans
05-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Has Kenny set a decision period or is his decision just going to come whenever he chooses?

No mater when he makes it, I think it is safe to say that the decision will come when he chooses. No way it comes before he chooses and the very definition of decision would seem to rule out it coming after he chooses ;)

Yes, I am just being difficult.

--Jason "I have not heard about a timetable, but we are in a period now where most kids do not decide -- they focus on the summer basketball camps which is where the rankings come from" Evans

CMS2478
05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
He is likely to announce his intentions in the fall.

watzone
05-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Our/Duke's most coveted prospect will play in Cameron at 11:00 on Saturday. You can see Boynton and super teammate Brandon Knight. Give them a good Duke turnout.

http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/5/22/3705749.html

GopherBlue
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Are tickets required to attend? If so, can you get single game or venue tickets, or must you buy a package? What are costs?

I'd love to catch some of the action, but can only make it for an hour or so, with kids in tow.

watzone
05-22-2008, 02:35 PM
adults are 5.00 for the day or 10.00 for the tournament

crote
05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
super teammate Brandon Knight. Give them a good Duke turnout.

I remember reading somewhere that Knight is Duke's (and a lot of people's) top target in 2010. Is that correct?

El_Diablo
05-22-2008, 03:52 PM
It looks like Favors is playing right after Boynton/Knight too...

watzone
05-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Yes, Favors plays right after Boynton and yes Knight is a target in 2010. Boynton is the man of the moment though. Don't forget Mason plays on Friday evening in Cam.

watzone
05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Plumlee's team will be at Cameron on Saturday too. 6:30 tentative

Dukebacker
05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
How nasty would a backcourt of Kenny Boynton and Branden Knight be in a couple of years..

:eek:

Add Elliot Williams and Nolan too that.

Wow.

graybead
05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
So, does Mason Plumlee play with Blessed IJN or Indiana Elite One?

The Herald Sun article said he played with Blessed IJN, which is at Reynolds tonight.

I think I'm headed to Chapel Hell tonight to see John Wall at 8:00 and Boynton, Knight and Favors at 9:30.

watzone
05-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Trust us AAU perts' in that Plumlee plays for Indiana Elite. My members have a list of 12 names Duke has shown interest in that are in the tournament. That's why I listed an article here yesterday in that I know a lot of the media gets teams and players mixed up. So, go by my shchedule and you'll be okay. I will give you a few of the names -

Mason Plumlee - Indiana Elite
Kenny Boynton, Brandon Knight - Team Breakdown, Florida
Nick Russell - Dallas Mustangs
John Wall - D2 Sports
Derrick Favors - Atlanta Celtics

You can see three of the above in Cameron on Saturday and Mason tonight

Ben Cohen
05-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Mason Plumlee scored 14 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in his Cameron debut Friday night. He spoke to a huddle of media members after the game. There's a quick summary (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/plumlee-posts-14-points-in-cameron-debut/) of his night, with photos coming later tonight, up at dukechroniclesports.com

roywhite
05-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Mason Plumlee scored 14 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in his Cameron debut Friday night. He spoke to a huddle of media members after the game. There's a quick summary (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/plumlee-posts-14-points-in-cameron-debut/) of his night, with photos coming later tonight, up at dukechroniclesports.com

Thanks for posting, Ben. Enjoyed the update and the pictures.

watzone
05-24-2008, 01:27 AM
He scored in multiple ways on route to 33 in his teams opening night win at the Dean Dome. "I have a great relationship with Coach K."
Teammate Knight had 11 and is brilliant as well.

http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/5/24/3708724.html

moonpie23
05-24-2008, 08:57 AM
i can't make the games today, i just CAN'T work it out....but i encourage everyone who can to get over there and make all of our recruits welcome..

dukeimac
05-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Did the Duke faithful show these guys the love?

Ben Cohen
05-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Kenny Boynton scored 18 points and teammate Brandon Knight dropped 27 in the highly-rated guards' first games in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Boynton talked to a group of reporters after the game (http://www.dukechroniclesports.com), saying he talks to Mike Krzyzewski more than any other coach and plans on visiting Duke again in June. For more, check out dukechroniclesports.com.

Dukebacker
05-25-2008, 09:25 AM
The front page mentions Kenny likes UNC, but in the actual article it has no mention of him liking them. Am i missing something? His schools were Duke, Memphis, GTech, Flordia and Texas. I saw no UNC?

I wonder if Coach K going away for Olympics this summer is going to hurt the recruitment at all or maybe give other teams the edge. I know that K said not to take it as a bad thing, but im just wondering if all the other coaches talking to him and K not will lose a lean, if in fact there is a Duke lean.

devildeac
05-25-2008, 09:39 AM
The front page mentions Kenny likes UNC, but in the actual article it has no mention of him liking them. Am i missing something? His schools were Duke, Memphis, GTech, Flordia and Texas. I saw no UNC?

I wonder if Coach K going away for Olympics this summer is going to hurt the recruitment at all or maybe give other teams the edge. I know that K said not to take it as a bad thing, but im just wondering if all the other coaches talking to him and K not will lose a lean, if in fact there is a Duke lean.

I would place a small wager that someone (or more) of our staff will remain in contact with him when they are allowed during the summer months;). You are right, though, that K's "absence" (among other things we have discussed on multiple occasions here:o) could be used by other coaches against us.

Indoor66
05-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I would place a small wager that someone (or more) of our staff will remain in contact with him when they are allowed during the summer months;). You are right, though, that K's "absence" (among other things we have discussed on multiple occasions here:o) could be used by other coaches against us.

I don't understand this thinking. Do you imagine that these kids are ignorant of what is going on in the basketball world? First, I am sure that K has spoken to each Duke prospect and told them about his summer situation and that his non-contact for a period is because of the Olympics, not lack of interest. Second, I am sure that there is a designated Duke person that will keep in touch. These kids are not stupid. They know what is going on and they will hear much more about K on ESPN than they will about any other coach. Get a grip.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-25-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't understand this thinking. Do you imagine that these kids are ignorant of what is going on in the basketball world? First, I am sure that K has spoken to each Duke prospect and told them about his summer situation and that his non-contact for a period is because of the Olympics, not lack of interest. Second, I am sure that there is a designated Duke person that will keep in touch. These kids are not stupid. They know what is going on and they will hear much more about K on ESPN than they will about any other coach. Get a grip.

That designated person is Coach Nate James. He's not going to China and will be around to take care of business in Durham. That was mentioned in one of the articles after Nate was hired.

Indoor66
05-25-2008, 10:48 AM
That designated person is Coach Nate James. He's not going to China and will be around to take care of business in Durham. That was mentioned in one of the articles after Nate was hired.

You are correct but I could not recall where I read that and was sure someone would request a link on the point so I stated it in generalities. :)

dukefan47
05-25-2008, 10:51 AM
i like it how mason says he will try to sell duke to boynton

devildeac
05-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Are you sure you wanted to quote me and tell me to get a grip:confused:? Look at my quote tags and emoticons and how/where/when they were used. They were used in response to a prior poster who seems to have a significant worry about K and the Olympics, "no contact", and other "recruiting negatives." That's why I also mentioned the other arguments/tactics (without elaborating) that I think can be/are/have been used against us (probably for many years, in fact:(). I have privately expressed concerns and discussed our recruiting issues but don't think I have ever publicly criticized them and did not intend to with my post above. PM me if you wish any further discussion/clarification.

feeze11
05-25-2008, 12:05 PM
If you guys go back and look in the pic that Ben Cohen posted about Mason, does the guy in the blue shirt look like Pocious?

Ders24
05-25-2008, 12:27 PM
If you guys go back and look in the pic that Ben Cohen posted about Mason, does the guy in the blue shirt look like Pocious?

Yup, he was there.

kydevil
05-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Wonder if the girl with him in the picture is the the poster that was on here speaking of all the great things Marty was doing in practice? :D

mike88
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I had a chance to see Kenny Boynton's team play in the semi-finals today at Cameron. After trailing double digits in the first half, Boynton led a second half comeback with several consecutive three pointers. HIs team was able to score in the last 10 seconds to gain the lead for the first time and win by 1!

devilboomer
05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
^ does that mean that it is Kenny Boynon vs. Mason Plumlee in the final?

beach rev
05-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Did I miss something in the article about Boynton - I didn't see UNC on his list of favorites (Nolan Dennis listed them, but not Boynton).

devilirium
05-26-2008, 01:37 AM
You didn't miss anything. Someone on DBR missed the course on reading comprehension. Nolan Dennis is the one looking at UNC. Kenny Boynton isn't considering UNC.

watzone
05-26-2008, 10:05 AM
Mason Plumlee's team lost in the quarterfinals. Boynton's team had a comeback victory in Cameron to make the finals, but lost to the Atlanta Celtics in the final in Chapel Hill. Boynton had 33 and 29 in those two games. Favors won the MVP, but intentionally cold cocked an Indiana Elite player with an elbow and was ejected from their win over Plumlee's team in the semi final. As for Favor's comments in Stevens artricle ... he can thank me for listening in over my shoulder. I will have over ten interviews, many one on one in the coming days in the premium section of my site. I will have a photo gallery on Kenny Boynton in the free section late today. I worked over 25 hours during the TOC to get the skinny. Overall, the Duke prospects faired well on a busy recruiting or prospect watching funfest.

mike88
05-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Based on watching one game Saturday and one game Sunday, I was impressed by Kenny Boynton's strength and end to end speed. His shooting was a little streaky, but once he got it going, he showed great range and a very quick release.

Clipsfan
05-27-2008, 12:51 PM

How could you see that? I looked at the pic and couldn't tell who it was.

watzone
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
How could you see that? I looked at the pic and couldn't tell who it was.

Pocius took in the game in Cameron with his gf.

91.92.01DUKE
07-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Rivals has changed Duke's position on Boynton's list of college choices to #4.

Ignatius07
07-01-2008, 12:05 PM
From what?

dukemomLA
07-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Dear Kenny,

If you are reading this, which I KNOW you are, don't even consider any place than Cameron Indoor, the Blue Devils, and Coach K. (Unless you don't value an education along with playing some BB).

Get it together dude. Come share the love you will experience both on and off the court. We await your arrival at Duke.

watzone
07-02-2008, 05:55 PM
My friend on the recruting trail, Mark Maggard, interviewed Kenny Boynton and Brandon Knight live last evening for his newly formed and cool national recruiting show. Here is your opportunity to hear these guys for yourself. He wanted me to let Duke fans know of this podcast. It lasts 22 minutes and I am sure recruitniks will love it. Here is the link - (and it is free)

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=18884&cmd=tc

If you want to see original (free) articles on Elliot Williams, Scheyer, Paulus and Hendo. Please visit the new BDN site. Three were written by Bob Green. I will be getting away from links on my site (for the most part) and concentrate on original material from here on out and of course, my usual schtick.

wallyman
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
if you listen, kb is quite emphatic that he has five schools on his list -- duke, fla. texas, memphis, ga. tech -- and that he has no clear favorite. he talked about fla's success in recent years and its proximity to home. it's very, very hard to listen to this and have any confidence he's more inclined toward duke than any of the other schools on his list. sigh.:confused:

dukemomLA
07-03-2008, 05:52 AM
I listened closely to the broadcast. Thanks for the link.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your posts and input to DBR!! Bless you.

And, again, Kenny B -- get your butt to Duke!

BlueintheFace
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/07/08/boynton/?eref=sircrc

The response that left some recruiters quizzical about the questionnaire was to the question: What current college player would you like to play with? Boynton's answer: Duke sophomore Nolan Smith.

Fine by me!!!

Oriole Way
07-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Nolan Smith seems to be quite a popular kid. He's best friends with Michael Beasley, and he seems to be friends with/liked by a lot of recruits I read about - Leslie McDonald, Boynton, Hairston, Dawkins, etc.

shadowfax336
07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
works for me...

and have you seen Nolan during warmups? He seems to be a life of the party type guy, I definitely believe that others want to play with him.

SilkyJ
07-09-2008, 08:08 PM
*cough*startingpointguard*cough*

excuse me

NYC Duke Fan
07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/07/08/boynton/?eref=sircrc

Fine by me!!!

If that is the case and it seems like a strange answer to me then why doesn't he just commit to Duke so Coach K can focus his recruiting to others.

Duvall
07-09-2008, 09:36 PM
If that is the case and it seems like a strange answer to me then why doesn't he just commit to Duke so Coach K can focus his recruiting to others.

Reading the article, it doesn't sound like he's close to deciding on Duke, just that Nolan Smith is a guy he knows and likes that's still playing college ball at one of the schools he's considering. It's certainly a positive sign, but it's hardly decisive.

wisteria
07-09-2008, 10:28 PM
since Nolan is mentioned, did anyone see the Chronicle article about how Nolan was together with Beasley half the summer training for (Beasley's) NBA draft? Gerald was there ( in Philly, his home) too working out and practicing his left hand skills.

SMO
07-10-2008, 11:01 AM
since Nolan is mentioned, did anyone see the Chronicle article about how Nolan was together with Beasley half the summer training for (Beasley's) NBA draft? Gerald was there ( in Philly, his home) too working out and practicing his left hand skills.

Could you please post a link?

wisteria
07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Smith trains with Beasle (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/07/08/MBasketball/Smith.Trains.With.Beasley-3387502.shtml)y

Edouble
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
...it sounds like they asked him a couple times and he didn't answer the question, then he said "Nolan Smith" just to keep the reporter from bugging him further. It's nice that he said that, but we can't let up on him yet.

Classof06
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
*cough*startingpointguard*cough*

excuse me

Haha, yup..

footballfan
08-10-2008, 10:45 AM
link (http://www.gatorcountry.com/basketball_recruiting/article/franz_beards_basketball_confidential27/4163)

Sorry can't read the whole article but doesn't look good for Duke. Would be a huge loss for us.

SupaDave
08-10-2008, 11:53 AM
link (http://www.gatorcountry.com/basketball_recruiting/article/franz_beards_basketball_confidential27/4163)

Sorry can't read the whole article but doesn't look good for Duke. Would be a huge loss for us.

Just some guys' opinion. Besides, you can't miss what you've never had. We didn't get Kobe Bryant or Lebron but I believe we turned out OK then too...

footballfan
08-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Just some guys' opinion. Besides, you can't miss what you've never had. We didn't get Kobe Bryant or Lebron but I believe we turned out OK then too...

Yes some person's opinion, but I wouldn't consider him just some guy. He clearly has inside knowledge of UF's recruiting.

I miss what we don't have all the time. Imagine if....

Yeah we didn't get Lebron or Kobe, but we got Elton Brand, Jason Williams, Deng, etc. Boynton is equivalent to these players. It would be a huge loss for Duke... even more so considering Boynton is/was a huge Duke fan.

Question: is it quiet period in basketball recruiting now? We missing out since Coach K and staff (except for James) are in China?

yancem
08-10-2008, 01:48 PM

I would be very interested in what Watzone has to say about this. Duke seemed to be in the lead or at least at the top as little as a couple of weeks ago. I wonder what has changed?

Edouble
08-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Difficult to comment, as I can not read the whole article either. The fact that there is an article alone, without reading it, does not alarm me to much, but maybe I am being naive.

Did Boynton watch the USA take apart China this morning, me wonders?

4xduke
08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Franz Beard is the gator recruiting guru who I hear on the radio a few times a week. I referred to him in another thread when he came on one day and said both Boynton and Knight would be Gators. That may turn out to be true, but it's hard to know since every kid out there he says will be a Gator. And every kid who has become a Gator will be an All-American, and turn out to be all-NBA once Billy gets to coach them for a bit in college.

Hard to be in Gainesville and have to listen to this dreck all the time.

Indoor66
08-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Franz Beard is the gator recruiting guru who I hear on the radio a few times a week. I referred to him in another thread when he came on one day and said both Boynton and Knight would be Gators. That may turn out to be true, but it's hard to know since every kid out there he says will be a Gator. And every kid who has become a Gator will be an All-American, and turn out to be all-NBA once Billy gets to coach them for a bit in college.

Hard to be in Gainesville and have to listen to this dreck all the time.

Move to Perry and get some relief. :D

Ultrarunner
08-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Question: is it quiet period in basketball recruiting now? We missing out since Coach K and staff (except for James) are in China?

There's a lot of evaluation ongoing and, yes, coach K pulled himself off the recruiting trail. Quoting him, "We are trying to win a gold medal. If any recruit doesn't understand, that's too bad."

That doesn't mean that K has given up - it means that others are working the camps. K is trying to deliver on a promise that he has made to secure the Gold - and I know, he didn't promise - but can you imagine him aiming for anything less? He has a fairly high profile right now so it isn't as though he's vanished from sight.

Personally, I don't see a single recruit making or breaking the Duke program. Maybe I'm just not good at the whole chicken little routine.

I have every confidence that Duke will secure the services of a quality individual that will be a good addition to the program - that recruit might not be the equal on the court of Boynton but (heresay alert) my criteria never includes winning 82 consecutive NCAA championships.

Humiliating Carolina at every opportunity - yeah, that one is in there. :D

So is supporting a quality program that turns out terrific young men.

Blueequalslife23
08-10-2008, 07:31 PM
notice the big words GATOR on top if it said BLUE DEVILS or TIGERS the article would be the exact thing just saying that Duke or Memhis was in the lead. Don't listen to the guys who are specialist in their own team.

quickgtp
08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Rumors, rumors, rumors. This source has been saying Knight & Boynton will be Gators for a long time. Last time I checked Kenny hadn't made a decision, and will be waiting until November to do so.

We still have just as much shot @ landing Kenny as UF does.

ice-9
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
notice the big words GATOR on top if it said BLUE DEVILS or TIGERS the article would be the exact thing just saying that Duke or Memhis was in the lead. Don't listen to the guys who are specialist in their own team.

You mean like Watzone?

Jarhead
08-10-2008, 11:20 PM
You mean like Watzone?
No, Watzone is the exception.

SupaDave
08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
You mean like Watzone?

In defense of Watzone, he focuses on Duke targets but he generally covers a LOT of kids.

What most of you seem to forget is that our targets tend to be the best of the best so EVERYONE is looking at them.

We'd love to have Boynton but we're looking at a lot of good kids.

WE are not Kansas State. One recruit is not necessary to put us on any map. That's why these kids choose us in the first place.

footballfan
08-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Well I agree: no one recruit is bigger than the program. But with that said, you just can't keep saying that as an "excuse" for not getting your #1 targets. In order for Duke to continue to be a premiere program, we need to get the top players. I think we can all agree about that.

Now with Coach K in China and holding off recruiting. Mixed feeling here to be honest. I love it that Coach K is coaching for his country. To see this US team being treating with so much respect in China and playing with class... that's a big reflection on Coach K. However, on the other hand, Coach K is being paid by Duke and recruiting is the life blood of college basketball. Now hopefully our targets realize all this and are watching Coach K and The "Redemption" team kicking butt in China. But you never know these days. Seems like they need to be called and pampered on an hourly basis these days. Who on earth knows what Billy D is telling Boynton??

Comments? All I know is that I want Duke to kick major butt... including UNC's. We need players like Boynton!

Jarhead
08-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Is that you, Chicken Little? Not to worry, Coach K won't let the sky fall. The smart recruits (we only accept smart ones) can see him in Beijing, and can see what he is doing with the best of the NBA. This is a recruiting advantage for Duke. When he returns, and makes recruiting visits, he'll be wearing the gold medal. Still working on 1,000 posts. Just went over 900.

footballfan
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Is that you, Chicken Little? Not to worry, Coach K won't let the sky fall. The smart recruits (we only accept smart ones) can see him in Beijing, and can see what he is doing with the best of the NBA. This is a recruiting advantage for Duke. When he returns, and makes recruiting visits, he'll be wearing the gold medal. Still working on 1,000 posts. Just went over 900.

Hopefully you're right. But am I worrying too much? Seems like Duke has missed out on some big targets over the past 3-4 years. Maybe the tide will turn...

CameronCrazy'11
08-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Kenny is not making his decision until after he takes his official visits. Between now and then, the "rumor" about where he's gonig will change over and over again. Remember back in June when he visited Duke and everyone was sure he was coming here? Now he went to a Florida camp and everyone thinks he's going there. In all likelihood we won't hear anything reliable about him for a few months, so just sit tight, and try not to worry too much :)

dball
08-11-2008, 01:19 AM
When he returns, and makes recruiting visits, he'll be wearing the gold medal. Still working on 1,000 posts. Just went over 900.

If the USA can pull it off, only players would receive the gold. I know Coach K is working hard to help them accomplish that goal (gold).

Uncle Drew
08-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Well I agree: no one recruit is bigger than the program. But with that said, you just can't keep saying that as an "excuse" for not getting your #1 targets. In order for Duke to continue to be a premiere program, we need to get the top players. I think we can all agree about that.

Now with Coach K in China and holding off recruiting. Mixed feeling here to be honest. I love it that Coach K is coaching for his country. To see this US team being treating with so much respect in China and playing with class... that's a big reflection on Coach K. However, on the other hand, Coach K is being paid by Duke and recruiting is the life blood of college basketball. Now hopefully our targets realize all this and are watching Coach K and The "Redemption" team kicking butt in China. But you never know these days. Seems like they need to be called and pampered on an hourly basis these days. Who on earth knows what Billy D is telling Boynton??

Comments? All I know is that I want Duke to kick major butt... including UNC's. We need players like Boynton!

Whomever started this thread I first want to thank you for putting a question mark at the end of Kenny Boynton a Gator so I didn't prematurely ram my head through the screen in disgust. Part of me wants to say something wise $#$ like, "of course he'll come to Duke, we get any guard we go after". But if the so called experts (me not being one) say Boynton is our #1 target and we need him by God I hope to get the guy in a Duke jersey.

The thing is more than a few of us still feel misled by Monroe and the recruiting sites that said he was Duke's to lose. (Again NOT Watzone's site!) And in the Patterson incident I'm pretty sure he had some inside info before it all went down. Watzone knows a lot not only about who Duke is recruiting, but he stays in the know about where a lot of guys might be leaning and how that could affect Duke. So unless I hear from Watzone or Sumner some inside info I'm going to stay off the ledge.

I too am glad Coach K is concentrating on the US team and hopefully leading the team to a gold medal this week. That being said, some of us think that gold medal will bring more influence than others of us do and some sooner than later. I really can't see any recruits waiting to see IF the US actually wins gold to commit to Duke. But hey, if some recruit actually commited to a school in football because he liked their jerseys I guess anything is possible.

But I have to agree with one thing football said and anyone who doesn't think it's on the money is nuts. We have no idea what the Florida or any other coaches are telling recruits. (Florida was the main school who started text messaging to contact recruits more and thus the entire practice had to be reigned in by the NCAA. And if I'm not mistaken they are very much into using their "camps" to get recruits extra visits to the school.) While I think we all can understand Coach K's comments about not recruiting this week. If you take that very same quote out of context, it looks like very good ammunition in the recruiting wars. All I'm saying is recruiting can get as sleazy and dirty as politics at times. In fact politics is a really good example because we're wanting to elect KB to our team for four years and so do other schools.

I'd love to make a list of Duke's top five targets over the last five or six years (presuming we actually knew who were the top five targets) and list if they didn't end up at Duke and then why. We as fans are biased, and if Coach K offered me a chance to play for Duke I'd shoot my moms' dog. (Relax PETA people she doesn't even own a dog.) We can't understand why anyone would turn down the chance and that's what makes getting snubbed, or potentially snubbed so frustrating.

watzone
08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Most of you know what I do, so there are times when I cannot say much in oublic forums. FWIW, I addressed this issue before it even went to print and know the author personally. In short, anything can happen in recruiting, but I expect Kenny to take his visits and wait until the Olympics are over.

footballfan
08-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Most of you know what I do, so there are times when I cannot say much in oublic forums. FWIW, I addressed this issue before it even went to print and know the author personally. In short, anything can happen in recruiting, but I expect Kenny to take his visits and wait until the Olympics are over.

What do you do? And what "issue" did you address?

SilkyJ
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
What do you do? And what "issue" did you address?

He runs a website focused on Duke with both premium and free content. Its mainly a Duke basketball recruiting website, though like DBR he occasionally discusses Football and other sports. (http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com). He has many connection inside the program and is considered one of our best sources for Duke recruiting info. ("our" being the DBR community's)

The "issue" has to do with the article linked on page 1 (first post) that discusses whether or not Boynton will be committing to Florida. I couldn't read the article so I'm not sure of the details here.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not subscribe to Watzon'e site, but very much enjoy reading his posts and the free content.

CameronCrazy'11
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
The article on the front page of what site?

SilkyJ
08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
The article on the front page of what site?

the first page of this thread. not "front page." page 1 of this thread. first post.

verga
08-11-2008, 11:25 PM
as with all posts on the internet, they should be taken with a grain of salt. I have been reading about Boynton's recruitment for 2 years. He has stated many times that he's going to take his official visits, i believe him. If for some reason he was to commit to say, (Florida), during the time K is in China, then we have lost a guy, who we didn't know as well as we thought we did. I believe Boynton when he says he'll wait till later in the fall to make his decision, because that's what he told our coach and thats what he's told everyone. The guy who wrote the article about Kenny's imminent commit to Florida, is a Florida guy, wishing with all his might that his wish comes true. When K returns and gets in his recruiting licks, we'll all feel better, that doesn't mean we will get Boynton, it means Boynton has kept his word and given all the finalist a fair shot. As to missing our primary targets, Patterson was not a primary target, he was a back up for Blake Griffin. Monroe was in fact a main target but he never once set foot on campus. The internet said he was a Duke lean, not Duke. We have secured in the last 4 years, Josh McRoberts, Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler and Elliott Williams, now to me thats a very good list of primary targets and the last time i looked, with the exception of McRoberts (who had 2 very good years at Duke) all 3 are on campus and ready to make a run at a final four. You must find out who speaks the truth in recruiting and who has a vested interest (see the Gator guy) in what he writes. We'll be fine, we'll be fine quicker with Kenny Boynton so let the drama play out, you might like the final results.

quickgtp
08-12-2008, 08:55 AM
as with all posts on the internet, they should be taken with a grain of salt. I have been reading about Boynton's recruitment for 2 years. He has stated many times that he's going to take his official visits, i believe him. If for some reason he was to commit to say, (Florida), during the time K is in China, then we have lost a guy, who we didn't know as well as we thought we did. I believe Boynton when he says he'll wait till later in the fall to make his decision, because that's what he told our coach and thats what he's told everyone. The guy who wrote the article about Kenny's imminent commit to Florida, is a Florida guy, wishing with all his might that his wish comes true. When K returns and gets in his recruiting licks, we'll all feel better, that doesn't mean we will get Boynton, it means Boynton has kept his word and given all the finalist a fair shot. As to missing our primary targets, Patterson was not a primary target, he was a back up for Blake Griffin. Monroe was in fact a main target but he never once set foot on campus. The internet said he was a Duke lean, not Duke. We have secured in the last 4 years, Josh McRoberts, Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler and Elliott Williams, now to me thats a very good list of primary targets and the last time i looked, with the exception of McRoberts (who had 2 very good years at Duke) all 3 are on campus and ready to make a run at a final four. You must find out who speaks the truth in recruiting and who has a vested interest (see the Gator guy) in what he writes. We'll be fine, we'll be fine quicker with Kenny Boynton so let the drama play out, you might like the final results.

Well said! I think some people are reading way too far into this. Kenny is a smart kid and will take his time IMO.

footballfan
08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Well said! I think some people are reading way too far into this. Kenny is a smart kid and will take his time IMO.

Well, if he commits to UF now... does that make him a stupid kid? I don't think so. Right now Kenny is in a win-win situation. Both Duke and UF are great basketball schools and will provide solid educations.

My point is you just don't know what Kenny will do, but this has nothing to do with being "smart".

Devilsfan
08-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Duke is known for their smart kids. If your smart why pass up the chance to play for the top active college coach at a top ten academic institution? Speaking of Coach K, he has Kobe, Lebron, and Company passing the ball and playing D. An amazing accomplishment in itself.

roywhite
08-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Well, if he commits to UF now... does that make him a stupid kid? I don't think so. Right now Kenny is in a win-win situation. Both Duke and UF are great basketball schools and will provide solid educations.

My point is you just don't know what Kenny will do, but this has nothing to do with being "smart".

I know many of us, myself included, follow recruiting pretty closely and worry about getting the best possible future players.

But don't let some pro-Florida website guy proclaiming a "strong Florida lean" bother you too much. And what can we do about it anyway, especially now with the staff deeply involved in the Olympics.

It's not like Coach K is going to suddenly drop what he is doing and jet back to Florida to woo a high school kid.

Diddy
08-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I think the problem with Homer sites, and Watzone has been bitten by this once or twice as well, is that they sometimes underestimate a recruit's media savvy while at the same time overestimating their own ability to "read people."

I don't want Wat to take this the wrong way, because I know what I said sounds like a slam, but I do not mean it that way. We all overestimate our own ability to "read people" and estimate their honesty.

For most top recruits, they have had extensive exposure to the media, both as the interviewee and as a fan who consumes tons of interviews by their favorite players, coaches, and other sports figures. Top players now know what to say in an interview. If it is a "neutral" journalist, then the answers tend to be very vague, coplementing all programs under consideration while giving little or no favor to any school.

With so called homer journalists, the recruits are smart enough to be a little more lavish with their praise of said home school. This ensures that the local fans like the player even more if and when he does commit. If not, well, those fans aren't going to like him, and he can't do much to change that. I think that most homer journalists don't recognize how the kids are telling them what the homer wants to hear. This is coupled with the homer's natural human folly of overestimating his own deductive powers. Essentially, the homer takes some glowing statements that are meant as mere puffery, which are what the homer WANTS to beleive, then convinces himself that the kid is giving him a scoop. Homer then reports it as near fact to his salivating readers, who interpret it as bedrock fact.

I am not picking on Watzone, because he is very good at not doing this. The only examples I can really point to are Monroe and Patterson. But Patterson was apparantly telling the staff bald faced lies, so I can't throw rocks at that one, and there is some question as to how up-front Monroe was. Wat got fooled, but so did EVERYBODY in recruiting.

I don't trust homer sites. Unfortunately, Watzone and the DBR fall under this. Take everything with a grain of salt until Rivals, SCOUT, or ESPN report it as a done committment.

watzone
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I think the problem with Homer sites, and Watzone has been bitten by this once or twice as well, is that they sometimes underestimate a recruit's media savvy while at the same time overestimating their own ability to "read people."

I don't want Wat to take this the wrong way, because I know what I said sounds like a slam, but I do not mean it that way. We all overestimate our own ability to "read people" and estimate their honesty.

For most top recruits, they have had extensive exposure to the media, both as the interviewee and as a fan who consumes tons of interviews by their favorite players, coaches, and other sports figures. Top players now know what to say in an interview. If it is a "neutral" journalist, then the answers tend to be very vague, coplementing all programs under consideration while giving little or no favor to any school.

With so called homer journalists, the recruits are smart enough to be a little more lavish with their praise of said home school. This ensures that the local fans like the player even more if and when he does commit. If not, well, those fans aren't going to like him, and he can't do much to change that. I think that most homer journalists don't recognize how the kids are telling them what the homer wants to hear. This is coupled with the homer's natural human folly of overestimating his own deductive powers. Essentially, the homer takes some glowing statements that are meant as mere puffery, which are what the homer WANTS to beleive, then convinces himself that the kid is giving him a scoop. Homer then reports it as near fact to his salivating readers, who interpret it as bedrock fact.

I am not picking on Watzone, because he is very good at not doing this. The only examples I can really point to are Monroe and Patterson. But Patterson was apparantly telling the staff bald faced lies, so I can't throw rocks at that one, and there is some question as to how up-front Monroe was. Wat got fooled, but so did EVERYBODY in recruiting.

I don't trust homer sites. Unfortunately, Watzone and the DBR fall under this. Take everything with a grain of salt until Rivals, SCOUT, or ESPN report it as a done committment.

When I started reading this I was more than okay with your opinion. As I read further it seemed like more of an agenda and a slap at DBR and my site. You made the comment, you will beleive it when Scout, Rivals or ESPN says it is a done commitment. Really? Those guys have been wrong many times before and sources close to DBR or others close to the program stand back more often than not when they spew faulty information.

Furthermore, you are judging me based on limited knowledge other than what you have read here or on public message boards. You can harldy cast such a blanketed judgement without more facts.

Pattersons family did play the media. I mentioned that I thougt Kentucky was the one in the last two weeks, but was told different from those exceptionally close to Duke and eventually talked out if it. Well, guess what? I learned a lesson and noe go with my on feel.

Monroe? Yes indeed I was fooled with the rest. He disssed Duke, not even paying a visit. Duke move on and so did I.

As for tainted reports, yes I am a homer, but I do work for other venues which requires objectivity. Yes, I will paint a Duke blue picture, but I keep it real.

And for what it is worth, I talk to all prosepcts over the phone as a national source, meaning I don't tip my hand in order to get honest answers. The sites you allude to as trusted come in with their school colors flying other than ESPN.

I never take glowing statements as you say I do and certainly not more than others you seem to pump. I'm not in to Enquirer like headlines, but will indeed entice with some marketing. People who read me, know I tell it like it is without the butter in private forums.

So, I understand where you are coming from, but your take is as flawed as what you deem is my style. And DBR is certainty pro Duke and the oldest site around. I am not too sure how they were lumped into recruiting, for they only report the facts.

As Jim Rome would say, you gotta have some better facts to bring your take. Still, you are certainly welcome to feel like you do. Homers can be objective and are often, possibly more trusted by those who count!

DBR and myself are homers, but we are not nearly as tainted as you seem to think.

quickgtp
08-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Well being smart could involve taking the visits before rushing to a decision after one UF visit. Of course I don't know what Kenny will do, but neither does the writer of the original article. BTW....when did the word "stupid" enter this post? Let's not go that far.

Watzone....I am somewhat new to this board but I think most appreciate your postings here, so thank you for any information you can share.

footballfan
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Kenny has been to Duke how many times? I'm sure he's played in Cameron a few times as well. Does he really "need" an official visit? Maybe to bring the folks by.

This whole recruiting stuff has gotten way out of hand. Sure, kids are smarter these days. They know what they say will be on thousands of internet message boards within minutes. That just leads these recruiting sites to be even more aggressive into finding the "true" motives of the players. Yet the "truth" is out there! Now this has nothing to do with Kenny, but it would be ideal if we knew what was going on in his mind.

Some kids play with the media. Some are very quiet and go through a rigid process. Some commit at the first place they like and visit no more. Some commit yet continue to take official visits.

dwater
08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Kenny has been to Duke how many times? I'm sure he's played in Cameron a few times as well. Does he really "need" an official visit? Maybe to bring the folks by.

This whole recruiting stuff has gotten way out of hand. Sure, kids are smarter these days. They know what they say will be on thousands of internet message boards within minutes. That just leads these recruiting sites to be even more aggressive into finding the "true" motives of the players. Yet the "truth" is out there! Now this has nothing to do with Kenny, but it would be ideal if we knew what was going on in his mind.

Some kids play with the media. Some are very quiet and go through a rigid process. Some commit at the first place they like and visit no more. Some commit yet continue to take official visits.
Are you trying to educate us on recruiting? This post adds nothing to the conversation.

SilkyJ
08-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Which is my endless speculation (or mental masturbation as it has become known here) is really just pointless. As I said in another thread (2010 recruiting) and at least a thousand times before we just have to sit back relax and trust in K. Hopefully we get boynton. If we don't, we have a ton of other guards on out roster, in the pipeline, and one already wrapped up for 2010. We'll be fine, everyone just chill and wait and see what plays out...

If you're really anxious, watzone and others who have been around for a while tend to post when something of actual significance occurs, so just wait for him or someone with a solid reputation on the board to post something and dissect that to your heart's content.

watzone
08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
My first reply was rushed without edit in that I covered today's Duke Football scrimmage and had just minutes to get there when I came by the post I responded to.

It's easy to sit back and have an opinion, but to state it almost as fact and to refer to other sites while taking what might be considered a mild shot at DBR and ole watzone is a bit odd in nature. I mean, what makes that person the expert on recruiting sources? Furthermore, why try to take on anyones credibility with limited facts?

As for Monroe and Patterson, I never called them to Duke. I said Duke was the team to beat for Monroe a year before his decision and I also reported that Georgetown had made up ground and that the scene had changed later. I mean recruiting is like the wind in that it changes direction.

I take varying factors and apply them to an ever changing scale with the information at hand. As the recruiting winds blow or information comes in you adjust that prospect on this imaginary scale. It's as simple as a percentage or a pie diagram. While it is not perfect, it has proven to show a fairly accurate picture.

Emotion, body language and glee do not always translate well on message boards. That said, it is hard to show the emphasis where needed in the following quote. "We shocked the world, we shocked the world," said Tywanna Patterson. This was seconds after her son Patrick picked Kentucky and pretty much showed calculated deception. I mean she jumped to the mic with unbridaled glee! They even told Florida PP was coming the day before. In Patterson's case, they played the media. The family seemingly reveled in the hype, foolery and wasting the recruiting budgets of a couple of schools for whatever reason.

As an analyst, I simply adjust and move on. It's all I can do. Still, I learn more every year and it helps with the aforementioned imaginary scale.

I stay positive because I choose too which I would do homer or not. I am not in the doom and gloom club or the glass half full, or is it half empty? If I consider a player a strong lean, I say so (when I can). If he is on the fence, I remain somewhat positive by choice and certainly don't call him a lean to any school.

It's funny that people will ask you where you think prospect X will go, trying to pin you down. I don't have a crystal ball, just a few facts to go on and that doesn't always paint a clear picture. However, sometimes you get tidbits from impeccable sources which makes it easier to make a call with confidence.

Prospects will play you! That's why I approach them as Sports Nation Network which is a name I own the rights to. I learned long ago that you let them know you are from a Duke site only if they have figured it out, which is sometimes the case with in person contacts at various events. At that time, I will ask some Duke related questions, but I certainly realize their answers could be swayed by who they are speaking to.

I never claimed a perfect track record, but I don't recall calling any prospect to Duke which I missed, especially Monroe and Patterson. So, I guess thick skin is a must in that people will only remember when you were wrong or when "they" think you were wrong. In the case of this poster, he seemed intent to point to watzone and his supposed errors while avoiding others.

I took the bait in that the poster was stating that I report things in a way that is inaccurate or tainted by Duke Blue glasses. If I am a homer and DBR is a homer, the how are the sites mentioned not considered the same? Most sites are run by homers. In the case of DBR, the owners have some affiliation to Duke and a rich history at that. Besides, they rarely speculate and almost always state the facts. In my years here they have been a trusted source, careful not to deal in rumors.

Misrepresentation always hooks me;)

footballfan
08-13-2008, 02:08 AM
My first reply was rushed without edit in that I covered today's Duke Football scrimmage and had just minutes to get there when I came by the post I responded to.

Misrepresentation always hooks me;)

so watzone in your opinion why isn't Duke getting the dominate big men?

watzone
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM

Please, find another pond to fish in. I feel certain those in Gator land
have been to your liking.

quickgtp
08-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Football fan, are you now a self proclaimed recruiting guru? LOL, your last response didn't address what I was referring to. I really think you are just here to start an altercation.

Try stopping back by when you have legitimate information. Thanks,

Turtleboy
08-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Are you trying to educate us on recruiting? This post adds nothing to the conversation.What does this one add?

Diddy
08-13-2008, 01:20 PM
http://gary-parrish.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/6271764

The above is a link to CBS's Gary Parish Blog. He is the same guy who did the "Duke doesn't get all the calls" stats analysis last week. He answers mail each day, and the most recent question addressed who he THINKS will go where at the top of the class, and it does not bode well for Duke.

First, he has Favors heading to Tech. That is dissappointing, but certainly not unexpected.

Then there is Boynton, who he picks for Florida. I have seen no credible statements about KB's leanings, but Parrish is a pretty middle of the road guy with no obvious likes or dislikes among colleges (outside of the less savory coaches and programs). This is only his opinion, but Parrish is a sharp guy.

Wat, I am sorry that you took my statments the way you did. My only intent was that if a site had the name of a program in the URL, then it might be wise to take any info therein with a grain of salt.

That said, I saw on rivals that Duke had been checking out a kid named Avery Bradly at one of the camps. It seems like his game is eerily similiar to Boynton, and that Bradly had exploded in July. Do you know if Duke is pursuing that, or was it a one-off evaluation, or whatever?

watzone
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
http://gary-parrish.blogs.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/view/6271764

The above is a link to CBS's Gary Parish Blog. He is the same guy who did the "Duke doesn't get all the calls" stats analysis last week. He answers mail each day, and the most recent question addressed who he THINKS will go where at the top of the class, and it does not bode well for Duke.

First, he has Favors heading to Tech. That is dissappointing, but certainly not unexpected.

Then there is Boynton, who he picks for Florida. I have seen no credible statements about KB's leanings, but Parrish is a pretty middle of the road guy with no obvious likes or dislikes among colleges (outside of the less savory coaches and programs). This is only his opinion, but Parrish is a sharp guy.

Wat, I am sorry that you took my statments the way you did. My only intent was that if a site had the name of a program in the URL, then it might be wise to take any info therein with a grain of salt.

That said, I saw on rivals that Duke had been checking out a kid named Avery Bradly at one of the camps. It seems like his game is eerily similiar to Boynton, and that Bradly had exploded in July. Do you know if Duke is pursuing that, or was it a one-off evaluation, or whatever?

Why are you asking me? I don't want to add anymore salt to your diet?:)

DDB4208
08-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Some KB videos in case anyone is interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_i9a1yxCRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFEPWDB8hg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GR-v02tKqc

SupaDave
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Why are you asking me? I don't want to add anymore salt to your diet?:)

Yes - b/c many of these folks are suffering from over-eating (aka "too much information")...

DDB4208
08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Kenny Boynton reminds me of Jason Williams, anyone else agree? I think that he is definitely the best player in the country for our program. I really hope he comes to Duke over Florida.

miramar
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Florida is prime territory for Duke undergraduates, but for some reason it seems to be just the opposite for basketball recruiting. Other than Casey Sanders, I can't remembers any recent recruits from Florida. With UF and UM improving their recruiting, it won't get any easier.

watzone
08-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes - b/c many of these folks are suffering from over-eating (aka "too much information")...

And to think some pay to over indulge, LOL! I'll see if I can add less insignificant indulgences to the buffet in an effort to help constrict ones daily dose of TMI. I must admit I have been looking for ways to trim the fat and may join the DBR workout club:)

I will try to avoid the bait!

yancem
08-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Kenny Boynton reminds me of Jason Williams, anyone else agree? I think that he is definitely the best player in the country for our program. I really hope he comes to Duke over Florida.

Yes, very much so. The even have a similar looking jump shot.

Newton_14
08-13-2008, 08:25 PM

Please name these "dominant big men" we have missed on, and the teams they now play for? And Patrick Patterson does not count as he has not proved "dominant" as of yet.....

Kansas and Florida own the last 3 titles, what "dominant big men" did they have??? As I recall, in those same 3 years, the teams with the "dominant big men" saw their season end with a loss just like everyone else. (OSU-Oden, UNC-Hanswalks, Memphis-Dorsey, GU-Hibbert, UCLA-Love, etc, etc, etc)

Meanwhile, the teams with "dominant guards and wings" cut the nets down...

DDB4208
08-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Please name these "dominant big men" we have missed on, and the teams they now play for? And Patrick Patterson does not count as he has not proved "dominant" as of yet.....

Kansas and Florida own the last 3 titles, what "dominant big men" did they have??? As I recall, in those same 3 years, the teams with the "dominant big men" saw their season end with a loss just like everyone else. (OSU-Oden, UNC-Hanswalks, Memphis-Dorsey, GU-Hibbert, UCLA-Love, etc, etc, etc)

I think their point Boozer is that Duke hasn't had a really good center since Shelden and we have missed Patterson and Monroe but those are just the guys who had us as one of their final choices. I'm sure there have been other centers who just haven't considered us at all, even if we recruit them (like Derrick Favors). And Florida had Joachim Noah and Kansas had Darrell Arthur. They are pretty good big men and both are making money in the NBA now. Although I don't know your definition of a dominant big guy, I think that Noah and Arthur are both better than Dorsey.

This is off-topic though. This forum is supposed to be about Kenny Boynton. So let's try to keep it about him.

Double DD
08-14-2008, 12:09 AM

Florida had Al Horford and Joakim Noah. I think having two top ten picks in your frontcourt counts as having a dominant big man combo.

Diddy
08-14-2008, 08:29 AM

OSU-National Championship Game 07
UNC- Final Four 08
Memphis- National Championship Game 08
GU- Final Four -07
UCLA- Final Four 08

These are not the best examples to use when stating that Dominant, True Low Post big men are not important to team success. Yes, they all fell short of the ultimate goal, but if those teams were failures, what does that make Duke in those years?

SupaDave
08-14-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm wondering if Boynton will try and DUNK on a dominant big man. Now that's what gets folks to their feet!! I've heard all about his shooting but not as much about his dunking. Like an Olek conversation in reverse so to speak.

Carlos
08-14-2008, 09:40 AM

Why is it that Joey Dorsey is considered dominant with his 7 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks but Patterson is not dominant with 16 points, 8 rebounds and 1 block is not dominant? Hibbert averaged 13 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks and is dominant... is it the blocks that makes one dominant?

As someone else has pointed out, if you define success by winning the championship then you're setting the bar pretty high. But just looking at the last few Final Fours you'll see that most of the participants have had the kind of strong interior game that Duke lacked last year.

bulldog44
08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm wondering if Boynton will try and DUNK on a dominant big man. Now that's what gets folks to their feet!! I've heard all about his shooting but not as much about his dunking. Like an Olek conversation in reverse so to speak.

One of the best dunks I have ever seen was when Duke was playing Georgetown and Phil Henderson drove from the right side of the court and dunked on Mutumbo I believe. Awesome.

hedgehog
08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
One of the best dunks I have ever seen was when Duke was playing Georgetown and Phil Henderson drove from the right side of the court and dunked on Mutumbo I believe. Awesome.

Alonzo Mourning and yes, it was awesome.

bulldog44
08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Alonzo Mourning and yes, it was awesome.

Yup my bad. I thought it was Mourning but for some reason put Mutombo in. The newscasters went wild and praised Henderson for taking it straight to a known shot blocker.

phaedrus
08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Why is it that Joey Dorsey is considered dominant with his 7 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks but Patterson is not dominant with 16 points, 8 rebounds and 1 block is not dominant? Hibbert averaged 13 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks and is dominant... is it the blocks that makes one dominant?

As someone else has pointed out, if you define success by winning the championship then you're setting the bar pretty high. But just looking at the last few Final Fours you'll see that most of the participants have had the kind of strong interior game that Duke lacked last year.

Does anyone else get confused when "Boozer" and "Carlos" go back and forth? It's like there's someone with multiple personalities in the room.

bleeddukeblue
08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Who cares can we get back to Kenny Boynton! I hope that he comes to duke. I talk to Nolan Smith at the Pro-Am Tourn. and he seems to think that he will. Smith and Singler spoke very high of Boynton. Smith says that him and Boynton are good friends and he talks to him on the phone alot. I hope that Smith has a break out year I really like him. And he really wants to play with Boynton.

mo.st.dukie
08-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Who cares can we get back to Kenny Boynton! I hope that he comes to duke. I talk to Nolan Smith at the Pro-Am Tourn. and he seems to think that he will. Smith and Singler spoke very high of Boynton. Smith says that him and Boynton are good friends and he talks to him on the phone alot. I hope that Smith has a break out year I really like him. And he really wants to play with Boynton.

That's good to hear. It sounds like Smith is friends with a lot of guys, he may be valuable on the recruiting front over the next three years.

Huh?
08-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Florida is prime territory for Duke undergraduates, but for some reason it seems to be just the opposite for basketball recruiting. Other than Casey Sanders, I can't remembers any recent recruits from Florida. With UF and UM improving their recruiting, it won't get any easier.

William Avery.

Channing
08-14-2008, 03:13 PM
William Avery.

wasnt avery from Augusta Ga.?

Edouble
08-14-2008, 03:14 PM
William Avery.

Avery was from Georgia and played at Oak Hill.

Huh?
08-14-2008, 08:50 PM
My bad, I don't even know what the fifty states are, I'm talking out of my butt.

Newton_14
08-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Sorry guys, a little irritated when I posted that, so apologies.. My point was we are only 2 years removed from a "dominant big man" in Shelden, and it's not like a 10 year drought or something... Our day will come sooner than later..... and yes, Florida and Kansas had very solid big men, above average even, but not what I would deem as dominant... but enough of that...

I still think we have a good shot at KB, the guy who wrote the article that started this thread is a big homer trying to wish KB to the Gators.. We are likely still a few months from the decision, so no need to panic... Hopefully a gold medal for the US is secured and helps sway KB as well as others....

ice-9
08-15-2008, 03:02 AM
My point was we are only 2 years removed from a "dominant big man" in Shelden, and it's not like a 10 year drought or something...

Another way to look at it though is that it's been six years since we recruited Shelden. To the recruiting staff's credit we did get McRoberts, whom many expected to be dominant.

mgtr
08-15-2008, 08:05 AM
My bad, I don't even know what the fifty states are, I'm talking out of my butt.

I thought that there were 57 states.

SupaDave
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I thought that there were 57 states.

I'm 120% certain that Washington, D.C. is a state. Don't know about places like South Carolina however. :)

As far as big men go - it's all SUPER subjective. How many of you would actually have liked to have Roy Hibbett? Or that kid Ryan from Florida State? Or even think Joey Dorsey would have fit in?

Jamal Boykin was expected to be something great too but never got off the blocks just right. Same with Boateng.

Guys like Horford, Noah, Tyrus Thomas were not highly regarded recruits on some levels but they exceeded pretty much every expectation just like a guy named Big Baby Davis...

As far as Boynton is concerned, I wonder what number he'll wear...

Diddy
08-15-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm 120% certain that Washington, D.C. is a state. Don't know about places like South Carolina however. :)

As far as big men go - it's all SUPER subjective. How many of you would actually have liked to have Roy Hibbett? Or that kid Ryan from Florida State? Or even think Joey Dorsey would have fit in?

Jamal Boykin was expected to be something great too but never got off the blocks just right. Same with Boateng.

Guys like Horford, Noah, Tyrus Thomas were not highly regarded recruits on some levels but they exceeded pretty much every expectation just like a guy named Big Baby Davis...

As far as Boynton is concerned, I wonder what number he'll wear...

I agree with you regarding Horford, Noah, and Thomas. They were underrated by the so-called recruiting services. It is my very sincere hope that our Coaching staff does not rely solely on those services to evaluate prospects. That is the point of going to camps, watching videos, and recruiting evaluation in general. The staff is supposed to find the next great players, not simply rely on others to do that for them. Horford and Noah were reasonably smart young men from very stable family and financial situations. They would have done great at Duke.

I do not buy the argument (not necessarily what you were saying but in general) that it is OK to have not gone after a player who became an elite college player just because he was not elite in high school. That is a spurrious argument. The staff should be able to find these diamonds in the rough. It is my hope that OC and Plumlee the elder are steps in the right direction, but we might not know for a couple of years.

My main points of contention involve Boykin and Boateng. Boateng was a McD's AA, but he was widely regarded as a project. He passed the look test, as far as height, muscle, and general athleticism. He certainly had a huge upside. But he was not a Basketball players. For whatever reason he did not have the drive, skills, coordination or whatever to be a significant player at a high level. He played in a well regarded area at a prep school, so people were high on him. Had he been at a middling school in a flyover state, he might not have been so highly regarded.

As for Boykin, say what? He was a role player from Day 1 of his recruitment. He won the cali player of the year, but was not regarded as a top 25 player by anybody. Barely top 50 or 75, depending on the service. He was generally regarded as too small and too unathletic to be a significant player at the high level, and that has been born out. His POY status was mainly based on the fact that Private school players in cali are very rarely chosen for the honor, and a couple of truly elite Cali public school players were complete D-Bags, so the media nd other coaches hated them. Outside of some die-hards on this board, no one expected even mediocrity out of Boykin. I think rational hopes had him being a solid roll player, whose main value would be hustle and a warm body for practice. He had tremendous heart, and so some people gave him a pass, but he simply was not a good ball player.

To sum up, I am not sure that anyone expected great things from either Boateng or Boykin. I hoped for good things from Boateng, but Boykin actually exceeded what I thought he could produce.

SilkyJ
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree with you regarding Horford, Noah, and Thomas. They were underrated by the so-called recruiting services. It is my very sincere hope that our Coaching staff does not rely solely on those services to evaluate prospects. That is the point of going to camps, watching videos, and recruiting evaluation in general. The staff is supposed to find the next great players, not simply rely on others to do that for them.

Fear not. I'm sure the staff doesn't rely one single milliliter on recruiting services. The fact that you would even suggest that is almost baffling.

DDB4208
08-15-2008, 03:22 PM
This forum is about Kenny Boynton.

Here is a link that talks a little bit about his style of play.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kenny-Boynton-1288/

And this is a link to an article about KB.

http://bigeastbasketball.blogspot.com/2008/07/kenny-boynton-gunnin-for-top-spot.html

Also here is a video of him playing.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1283221817&channel=1215674518

dukebb444
08-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I can't read the whole article, but it looks like we still have hope..... his final four are Duke, Florida, Memphis, and Texas. Come on down Kenny we love guards in Durham. https://secure.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=rivalshoops%2Erivals% 2Ecom&sid=910&script=content.asp&cid=839126&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

watzone
08-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I can't read the whole article, but it looks like we still have hope..... his final four are Duke, Florida, Memphis, and Texas. Come on down Kenny we love guards in Durham. https://secure.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=rivalshoops%2Erivals% 2Ecom&sid=910&script=content.asp&cid=839126&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

There has never been lost hope. Also, there are a ton of threads this could have gone in. Especially, with the title not mentioning Boynton.

dukebb444
08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
There has never been lost hope. Also, there are a ton of threads this could have gone in. Especially, with the title not mentioning Boynton.

Thanks!

bleeddukeblue
08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Thats good news. Like I said before Nolan Smith really wants to play with him. His eyes lights up when you mention Kenny Boynton name. I think that we will be a great back court. That back court would be compared to the back court we had a couple of years ago with Jason Williams and Chris Duhon. I know that where ever he goes he wants to win right away! He will at DUKE!

watzone
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Thats good news. Like I said before Nolan Smith really wants to play with him. His eyes lights up when you mention Kenny Boynton name. I think that we will be a great back court. That back court would be compared to the back court we had a couple of years ago with Jason Williams and Chris Duhon. I know that where ever he goes he wants to win right away! He will at DUKE!

There would be a serious press going on which would lead to highlight reel plays.

SupaDave
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
There would be a serious press going on which would lead to highlight reel plays.

I love Boynton but we'll have that anyway wont we? We've already got a guy by the name of Elliott Williams.

Personally, I'm already giddy at the fact that we could have a line-up of Smith, Williams, Henderson, Singler, and Lance Thomas in a game.

Boynton will be coming into a GREAT situation. That's what I hope he sees.

watzone
08-18-2008, 11:21 PM
I love Boynton but we'll have that anyway wont we? We've already got a guy by the name of Elliott Williams.

Personally, I'm already giddy at the fact that we could have a line-up of Smith, Williams, Henderson, Singler, and Lance Thomas in a game.

Boynton will be coming into a GREAT situation. That's what I hope he sees.

A three headed monster works fine for me.

Diddy
09-05-2008, 01:16 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=846353

The above link goes to Jerry Meyers weekly mailbag at Rivals. He says that the consensus on Boynton has him down to Duke and Florida, and that Meyers thinks that Florida has the edge. He stresses that he does not follow Boynton super closely (although he does keep tabs on all the top prospects). He states that the Florida lean is purely intuitive on his part, so take that for what it is worth. However, he did call Monroe for Georgetown at a time when everyone on this board, and I mean absolutely everyone, had Monroe inked into the Duke lineup.

I really think that Duke and Florida's on court performance this year will be key to what Boynton does. He is used to playing AAU with Knight, a great PG. The PG at Florida, Nick Something, is very good, but I expect him to go pro this year. If that happens, FL will be left with some smallish PGs, who are OKish to goodish. If Nolan has a good year and really establishes himself as the next great Duke PG, then that might sway Boynton here.

Regardless, I like Meyer's work, and have always found him to be very neutral, forthright, and accurate. Thus, I wanted to pass on his opinion for the board.

jimsumner
09-05-2008, 01:24 PM
"I really think that Duke and Florida's on court performance this year will be key to what Boynton does"

This is only relevant if Boynton elects to wait until spring. I have heard nothing to suggest that he is even remotely considering such a possibility. Every indication is that he will sign this fall.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Me neither... I think he will be committing somewhere this fall. My fear is that he will wait until midnight madness or some huge Florida football game and commit on the spot when he is there (sort of like Monroe).

watzone
09-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Me neither... I think he will be committing somewhere this fall. My fear is that he will wait until midnight madness or some huge Florida football game and commit on the spot when he is there (sort of like Monroe).

Ah, details are important. I like Jerry too, but he has a couple of errors or lack of fact checking issues in his latest Q & A. When you cover the entire nation, it's hard to keep up with the Boynton sweepstakes or a certain teams beat.

-bdbd
09-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Don't forget that most of our staff was gone for most of the Summer. Since returning, gold medals in hand, I am sure K and staff have been all over him. We've stated that he's our #1 target this year, so I'm sure he's feeling the focus. Will be interesting to see how much watching K in the Olympics impacts him (and other recruits).

That said, I've read a couple places that he plans for a Fall commitment. Let's hope that our late push wins the day. He's an important 'get' for Duke...

-BDBD

Diddy
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
"I really think that Duke and Florida's on court performance this year will be key to what Boynton does"

This is only relevant if Boynton elects to wait until spring. I have heard nothing to suggest that he is even remotely considering such a possibility. Every indication is that he will sign this fall.

I couldn't remeber what his time frame was for making a decision. Lets all hope that he does wait, because I really feel that Duke could seal the deal if only he were to watch us play. Otherwise Duke may be boned.

Just looking at Florida's football schedule, if Boynton is visiting Florida on the weekend of October 11-12, we may be in bad shape. That is the home LSU game, and it is Florida's only home game of note this year. That could well be the Game of the Week that week, which would ensure maximum coverage for Boynton to make his announcement. Let's hope that is not his Florida visit weekend.

MChambers
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
We've stated that he's our #1 target this year, so I'm sure he's feeling the focus.
-BDBD

I don't remember Duke ever saying that a player is a target, or a #1 target. Is it even allowed under NCAA rules?

watzone
09-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I couldn't remeber what his time frame was for making a decision. Lets all hope that he does wait, because I really feel that Duke could seal the deal if only he were to watch us play. Otherwise Duke may be boned.

Just looking at Florida's football schedule, if Boynton is visiting Florida on the weekend of October 11-12, we may be in bad shape. That is the home LSU game, and it is Florida's only home game of note this year. That could well be the Game of the Week that week, which would ensure maximum coverage for Boynton to make his announcement. Let's hope that is not his Florida visit weekend.

While football is a fun activity, do you really think a likely one and done Boynton will base his decison on the LSU game?

Wait? Are you kidding me? The wait has been gruelling and he knows how Duke will play and use him already. Interesting how you know UF's only home of game of note;)

Quite simply, UF's main pull is his close friend already being on the roster and the fact it is his home state. Spin, spin, spin, worry, spin! One can make the case that ALL of the Duke basketball games are on TV and some of them have Vitale calling them. Now, that's what I call national exposure. Can you hear Dick? "Duke has signed the sensational diapper dandy Kenny Boynton! I'm telling you now, watch our for the Dukies, they are my pick to win the national championship." If he were to sign with Duke, he stays in the national spotlight. Answer this honestly - does Florida or Duke BB get more hype? How many honors have Duke players won over the years?

Diddy
09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
While football is a fun activity, do you really think a likely one and done Boynton will base his decison on the LSU game?

Wait? Are you kidding me? The wait has been gruelling and he knows how Duke will play and use him already. Interesting how you know UF's only home of game of note;)

Quite simply, UF's main pull is his close friend already being on the roster and the fact it is his home state. Spin, spin, spin, worry, spin! One can make the case that ALL of the Duke basketball games are on TV and some of them have Vitale calling them. Now, that's what I call national exposure. Can you hear Dick? "Duke has signed the sensational diapper dandy Kenny Boynton! I'm telling you now, watch our for the Dukies, they are my pick to win the national championship." If he were to sign with Duke, he stays in the national spotlight. Answer this honestly - does Florida or Duke BB get more hype? How many honors have Duke players won over the years?

Allow me to establish a time line.

I post the thread.
I continue to eat lunch.

10 minutes later, I see that my thread already has two replies. I realize that I had forgotten that Boynton wants to early commit. I also realize that the 3rd post made a very salient argument re: KB committing at a big Florida event such as Midnight madness or big Football game.

In the next two minutes I went to Scout, which I bookmark, went to college team pages, Florida team page, and Football schedule. Remarkably, Scout makes the football schedule of the second largest University, a school with a recent football record that far surpasses Duke's recent basketball record, readily available. I don't know how long it takes you to look up a playing schedule for any team, much less a major team, but if it is longer than a couple of minutes, WOW.

That is how I knew what Florida's schedule was. I follow college football. Real college football. I don't know what they do on Saturdays in ACC land, but it is not college football. I like the SEC because I have family in SEC country, and they play (the only) real college football. Thus, after looking at Florida's schedule, and realizing that Boynton is not at Fl this weekend for the Miami game, FSU is on the road, and that the Tenn game is at UT, and UGA is at Jacksonville, LIKE ALWAYS, and that LSU is the only other team of note that FL plays, at home no less. After taking a few precious seconds to discern that LSU plays on Oct 11, in prime early signing territory, I posited that a Boynton - Florida visit on that date could spell Doom for Duke.

It is called the internet. It makes finding out things like visit dates, key football matchups, and the like remarkably easy.

I am getting very tired of the McCarthyism by some of the long-tme posters. You don't love Duke anymore than we do. And given Wat's stellar track record going back to Patterson and Monroe, I don't believe you are any more knowledgable than anyone else here.

I went to Duke. My tag refers to a nickname I got on a Duke study abroad. I saw Battier win his national championship while I was at Duke, and I will not have my allegiance questioned by the likes of you.

BD80
09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
... One can make the case that ALL of the Duke basketball games are on TV and some of them have Vitale calling them. Now, that's what I call national exposure. Can you hear Dick? "Duke has signed the sensational diaper dandy Kenny Boynton! I'm telling you now, watch our for the Dukies, they are my pick to win the national championship." If he were to sign with Duke, he stays in the national spotlight. Answer this honestly - does Florida or Duke BB get more hype? How many honors have Duke players won over the years?

HALLELUJAH BROTHER!!

There goes Wat, preaching to the choir again, but I for one am digging it. Can I get an AMEN??

Coach K got to display his offensive philosophy on the world stage and it looked goood! Kenny is bright enough to see that he would fit in well at Duke and be getting an education from the best coach in the business, all while showcasing his skills for the next level.

I think the best "sales pitch" would be for him to visit and see how well the team gets a long with each other. It is more than the subtraction of McRob, it is the maturation of guys like Greg, Nolan and McClure. This is a TEAM that will fit a guy like Kenny like a glove.

ugadevil
09-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Maybe he'll come to Duke on the weekend of the Miami football game (October 18th) and announce he's coming to Duke! He'll have been at The Swamp the previous weekend and then he'll come to Durham and see the passion at packed out Wallace Wade stadium and decide Duke is the place for him.

BlueintheFace
09-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Watzone, we always seem to have the best selling points in the country, but some kids are swayed by things like huge pep-rallys and enormous sporting events at a big school or lots of girls. These are 16-18 year olds as you well know. If they always acted logically, Duke might have had a few big-time recruits in the past that slipped through our fingers...

jv001
09-05-2008, 03:13 PM

I am getting very tired of the McCarthyism by some of the long-tme posters. You don't love Duke anymore than we do. And given Wat's stellar track record going back to Patterson and Monroe, I don't believe you are any more knowledgable than anyone else here.

I went to Duke. My tag refers to a nickname I got on a Duke study abroad. I saw Battier win his national championship while I was at Duke, and I will not have my allegiance questioned by the likes of you.

Oh to have been there when Shane and Duke won the national championship. I wish I could have been so blessed. However you are a little hard on Watzone. When you are dealing with kids this young and immature, it is not an exact science when it comes to recruiting. He has been right more than he has been wrong and I for one like his close ties to the Duke coaching staff. We get more facts that way. There is no way anyone can call em all correct. No not anyone. We all love Duke and we should stick together. Give our grief to unc tarholes.

yancem
09-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Ah, details are important. I like Jerry too, but he has a couple of errors or lack of fact checking issues in his latest Q & A. When you cover the entire nation, it's hard to keep up with the Boynton sweepstakes or a certain teams beat.

If you are going to snipe on a fellow recruiting guru about errors in his writing, it would come off better if you actually pointed out the errors. Just saying he made mistakes with out presenting evidence sounds kind of childish and self serving.

mgtr
09-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I guess people are getting tired waiting for the season to start, and are getting a little snippy. I think we all are Dukies here, and need to pull in that direction.

watzone
09-05-2008, 04:16 PM

I post the thread.
I continue to eat lunch.

10 minutes later, I see that my thread already has two replies. I realize that I had forgotten that Boynton wants to early commit. I also realize that the 3rd post made a very salient argument re: KB committing at a big Florida event such as Midnight madness or big Football game.

In the next two minutes I went to Scout, which I bookmark, went to college team pages, Florida team page, and Football schedule. I don't know how long it takes you to look up a playing schedule for any team, much less a major team, but if it is longer than a couple of minutes, WOW.

That is how I knew what Florida's schedule was. I follow college football. Real college football. I don't know what they do on Saturdays in ACC land, but it is not college football. I like the SEC because I have family in SEC country, and they play (the only) real college football. Thus, after looking at Florida's schedule, and realizing that Boynton is not at Fl this weekend for the Miami game, FSU is on the road, and that the Tenn game is at UT, and UGA is at Jacksonville, LIKE ALWAYS, and that LSU is the only other team of note that FL plays, at home no less. After taking a few precious seconds to discern that LSU plays on Oct 11, in prime early signing territory, I posited that a Boynton - Florida visit on that date could spell Doom for Duke.

It is called the internet. It makes finding out things like visit dates, key football matchups, and the like remarkably easy.

First of all if you can find that I called Monroe or Patterson to Duke anywhere, I will leave this board 4ever. I may have said that Monroe was a Duke lean a year and a half before he made his decision.

It's far too obvoius that in your twenty or so posts, you seem to have an agenda, IMO. But that is my opinion and not others. It is far too easy to have seen your Florida affinity as well. This is the first time that's come out to my knowledge.

Oddly, I have never seen you around here until recently, yet you seem to "think" you know my history and have reffered to me as a homer who is incapable of being objective.

This statement of yours while true, smells Gatory -Remarkably, Scout makes the football schedule of the second largest University, a school with a recent football record that far surpasses Duke's recent basketball record, readily available.

You mention that finding visit dates is remakably easy. If that's the case, why haven't you figured out when KB is visiting the swamp? Whether you went to Duke or not, statements like "REAL FOOTBALL," shows what seems to be a lean.

As Forrest would say, I may not be more knowlegable, but I like Duke FB and Basketball, but my family "was" from ACC Country;) I know about a visit or two as well. It's my job to know and I specialize in Duke recruiting and I study the heck out of it.

Seriously, if you love Duke - why be so harsh on the football program and why point out UF's dominance in a thread talking of Kenny Boynton?

watzone
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Watzone, we always seem to have the best selling points in the country, but some kids are swayed by things like huge pep-rallys and enormous sporting events at a big school or lots of girls. These are 16-18 year olds as you well know. If they always acted logically, Duke might have had a few big-time recruits in the past that slipped through our fingers...

Well of course some are swayed. But some are not. Some can see the exposure Duke gives and the pull a legend has. It's more than likely one year for KB and there are girls everywhere. So, he gives up a arguably better situation for his career for a years worth of active hormones? Once he is in the NBA he will have plenty of time to sew his oats if he chooses to do so.

So, three or four years? I could see your point, but one year? I can make a case in hoping he can see the big picture.

Troublemaker
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
This thread has served its purpose; a link has been shared. Now we're just wading into pointless bickering. Therefore, I am locking this baby. Y'all can hash it out over PMs if needed. Thanks.

CLT Devil
09-05-2008, 04:38 PM
FWIW:
In home visits; Duke Sept 9, Florida Sept 10.

"I've been to Duke and Florida before, so I don't think I'll take official visits to those schools. I'm still considering them. I'm probably going to make my decision in October after taking some official visits," Boynton said.

I dunno, maybe we can get him on campus after the in-home. Sounds like he really enjoys the recruiting process since he's going to these other schools that are basically out of the picture. I would be a little worried if he didn't do an official visit to Duke though.....

watzone
09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
FWIW:
In home visits; Duke Sept 9, Florida Sept 10.

"I've been to Duke and Florida before, so I don't think I'll take official visits to those schools. I'm still considering them. I'm probably going to make my decision in October after taking some official visits," Boynton said.

I dunno, maybe we can get him on campus after the in-home. Sounds like he really enjoys the recruiting process since he's going to these other schools that are basically out of the picture. I would be a little worried if he didn't do an official visit to Duke though.....

Ughhh! This is actually pretty old. I have a legitimate source who says that he will take an official to Duke. It could change of course, but I will go with what I was told in that they are rarely wrong. September 9th is the very first day coaches can be out and visiting. Duke wanted the first visit. FTR, prospects can say a lot of things when the media constantly hounds them. Make no mistake in that this is a very tough battle for his services and as I have maintained for a long time, it is a two horse race, imo.

I can't remember where this quote was from, but was asked to address the comment in another forum.

miramar
09-05-2008, 06:53 PM
It doesn't make a lot of sense for someone from Plantation FL (near Ft. Lauderdale) to make an unofficial visit to Durham. It's not like it's in the neighborhood and he's going to drop by unannounced.

jimsumner
09-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Boynton would be making an official visit this fall. He has already made an unofficial in conjunction with his team being in the area, IIRC. Mark can add details, I'm sure.

El_Diablo
09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Boynton would be making an official visit this fall. He has already made an unofficial in conjunction with his team being in the area, IIRC. Mark can add details, I'm sure.

I'm not watzone, but I will confirm that yes--Team Breakdown played a tournament in the Triangle area (including in Cameron) in May. Both he and Brandon Knight looked great.

I'm not sure what he did on his visit other than play ball, though.

texas
09-06-2008, 09:05 AM
i thought it was a two school race between duke and florida but texas still has an outside shot and apparently Boynton is to visit Austin before making his decision. we're closing in on a great class with possibilities of Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, and Shawn Williams. frankly, i still think he goes to duke but if he doesn't come your way we would LOVE to get this kid.

jv001
09-06-2008, 03:28 PM
i thought it was a two school race between duke and florida but texas still has an outside shot and apparently Boynton is to visit Austin before making his decision. we're closing in on a great class with possibilities of Avery Bradley, Jordan Hamilton, and Shawn Williams. frankly, i still think he goes to duke but if he doesn't come your way we would LOVE to get this kid.

Hey I'm still mad at you guys for stealing Coach G for your ladies BB team.

watzone
09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Coach K and company will make their way to the Boynton home tomorrow evening. This will be the first day coaches can get back out on the trail. Hopefully, all will go well. There is no secret that Blue Devil fans covet Boynton.

http://bluedevilnation.wordpress.com/

BD80
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update Wat!!!

I've got a feeling Coach K will come loaded for bear on this visit. He has had weeks to concentrate on this presentation, he has the full Olympic videotape arsenal as well as video on Jason Williams and Kenny's future teammates to show the Boynton family. Duke's video director is also fresh from the China Olympics experience having worked on the scouting videos - I imagine the product prepared for Kenny will be top notch - and full of content not glitz.

Coach K has the Olympic experience to share with glowing reviews from Kobe (every high school player's idol) and Wade - the local hero in Miami. Coach K is also fresh from his vacation.

Kenny is a fine young man and a fine student - a perfect fit for Duke; and Duke has the academic institution, the team, the Coach, the wide-open offense, the facilities, the exposure, the fans, the NBA alumni, etc. which is a perfect fit for Kenny.

I say Coach K hits this one out of the park. Way out of the park.

Travi_K
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
One of my Gator coworkers just told me that Boyton and Knight were at the game on Saturday doing the Gator Chomp. I so hope that is not true, but as some other posters have mentioned, that would be and electric environment to bring a recruit too. I have no confirmation of this being true and apologize if anyone has already posted this.

miramar
09-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I guess we're concerned about the Gators, but it turns out that the Gator fans are also concerned about Coach K's recruiting prowess following the Olympics.

Let's hope they're right.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=69615

kramerbr
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
One of my Gator coworkers just told me that Boyton and Knight were at the game on Saturday doing the Gator Chomp. I so hope that is not true, but as some other posters have mentioned, that would be and electric environment to bring a recruit too. I have no confirmation of this being true and apologize if anyone has already posted this.

Hopefully he sees that Florida is a football school and Duke is THE basketball school.

studdlee10
09-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Not really worried about this. They were at a Florida/UM game, they jsut got caught up in the moment. Shaun Livingston use to show up to Illini games and wore Illinois t-shirts all the way up to his commitment to Duke.

Doesn't mean anything.

BlueintheFace
09-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Has he played ball with our players at all? I seem to remember Dawkins citing this as a huge reason why he committed. He really liked the dynamic and chemistry...

watzone
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Has he played ball with our players at all? I seem to remember Dawkins citing this as a huge reason why he committed. He really liked the dynamic and chemistry...

Yes. He played with Mason Plumlee and some of our players when his team visited.

BlueintheFace
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Alright Watzone, gun to your head... Who does Boynton choose today if forced to choose?

watzone
09-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Alright Watzone, gun to your head... Who does Boynton choose today if forced to choose?

I don't have a crystal ball and only make a prediction if I feel certain of the outcome. So, please take the gun away;)

roywhite
09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't have a crystal ball and only make a prediction if I feel certain of the outcome. So, please take the gun away;)

Thanks for your updates, watzone. Everything I read indicates this is a very competitive recruiting situation; Duke certainly has a chance, but UF could be the choice.

Question---in your contacts with KB and learning about him, do you think he may well be a one year and done player, who is looking for a fast track to the NBA? Or more likely to "unpack" at least two years, and get the college experience?

SupaDave
09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for your updates, watzone. Everything I read indicates this is a very competitive recruiting situation; Duke certainly has a chance, but UF could be the choice.

Question---in your contacts with KB and learning about him, do you think he may well be a one year and done player, who is looking for a fast track to the NBA? Or more likely to "unpack" at least two years, and get the college experience?

There are so many factors that play into this kind of question. Injury, missing home, adjustment to the college game, girlfriends, and family situation. Just ask Bill Walker....

BD80
09-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Was Luol more likely to "unpack" or a one and done?

Add to the list of advantages at Duke Coach K's NBA contacts - which have grown through the Olympic experience to include closer relationships with at least D'Antoni, McMillan, Jerry Colangelo, David Stern and a host of NBA scouts. Coach K can get a better read on the draft status and preparedness for the NBA of his players. When the iron is "hot" the players go - Dunleavy and Luol are great examples. When they get to the pros, they are considered to be well coached.

Doesn't sound like the same is true with Billy the kid. His dalliance with the Magic probably did not endear him with NBA folk, and his players are considered head cases, albeit talented ones, see e.g. Roberson, Miller, Noah.

I wonder if Coach K alludes to the reputation factor of Duke's NBA players in his presentation to recruits? I would love to be a fly on the wall during an in-home visit.

Good luck tonight Coach K!!!

rthomas
09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I hope potential recruits watch people like Lebron talk about playing for Coach K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzCIuyS0Is

and like Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-alR0hg70&

Skitzle
09-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I hope potential recruits watch people like Lebron talk about playing for Coach K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzCIuyS0Is

and like Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-alR0hg70&

Doesn't Duke bring a video to each in home visit? I'm sure Collins/Wojo show this to a recruit before they meet Coach K

wilko
09-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Coack K is there with KB and his family.

K is making the pitch and gets a call on his cell.. K checks the caller ID and says "Pardon me.." and its either Kobe, Lebron, Howard, Wade, (pick a guy from the US team) and they want to to talk to KB and family...

How much impact would that carry?
Heck.. I'd do it if I were him...

Unless of course it was somehow a violation of recruiting rules.

But still that kind of endorsement... it has to have some play.

SupaDave
09-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Is it ok if part of me is a little creeped out by this situation? Love KB to death but I remember what Patrick Patterson did to us and it helps me keep things in perspective. PP was supposed to be a possible one and done as well. Look at his situation NOW.

wilko
09-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Love KB to death but I remember what Patrick Patterson did to us and it helps me keep things in perspective. PP was supposed to be a possible one and done as well. Look at his situation NOW.

I think its ok to be excited and anxious.

One could make the argument that if PP HAD come to Duke would have been a 1 and done... Which would be motivation to one inclined to pursure that route.

Bsim412
09-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Do you have any late information on Kenny Boynton, Watzone?

SilkyJ
09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Do you have any late information on Kenny Boynton, Watzone?

I think you can rest assured that Watzone will post an update here when appropriate. Not to speak for him, but he undoubtedly must cater to his premium members first before giving us any real nuggets of info. I would be patient and wait for him to come to us, he usually does.

Or Kenny, if you want you can just make it all easier on us and commit right now :D

watzone
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I think you can rest assured that Watzone will post an update here when appropriate. Not to speak for him, but he undoubtedly must cater to his premium members first before giving us any real nuggets of info. I would be patient and wait for him to come to us, he usually does.

Or Kenny, if you want you can just make it all easier on us and commit right now :D

I can tell you that Coach K is in his living room as I type;) Info will come in, but I prefer to wait until after UF is in tomorrow night to dig.

Newton_14
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
So let's hope Coach K is blowing KB away right now! If he committs this could be the start of new "momentum" with recruiting... wouldn't be great if this is the beginning of a whole new string of signing the best of the best recruits that leads to another 6 or 7 Final Fours in a row with multiple titles? Along with about 6 or 7 straight bowl games for our gridiron boys as well? The tide is turning guys...time for good things to happen in waves!!! Keep The Faith!

Kenny B, come on down, you are the next star in Duke Basketball history... we are preparing the spot for your jersey to hang in about 5 years!!!

BD80
09-09-2008, 09:30 PM
So let's hope Coach K is blowing KB away right now! If he committs this could be the start of new "momentum" with recruiting... wouldn't be great if this is the beginning of a whole new string of signing the best of the best recruits that leads to another 6 or 7 Final Fours in a row with multiple titles? Along with about 6 or 7 straight bowl games for our gridiron boys as well? The tide is turning guys...time for good things to happen in waves!!! Keep The Faith!

Kenny B, come on down, you are the next star in Duke Basketball history... we are preparing the spot for your jersey to hang in about 5 years!!!

Oh man, I thought I'd been dipping too much into the dark blue Kool-Aid.

Dude, you've been freebasing the stuff!!

Of course, I agree with every word you've said! (You didn't mean BCS bowl games did you? That would be Amy Winehouse level of substance abuse!)

Bsim412
09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Watzone I am sorry I keep on asking you questions, but is there any possible way Kenny Boynton could commit tonight?