PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Boynton recruitment

Pages : 1 [2]

BD80
09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Watzone ... is there any possible way Kenny Boynton could commit tonight?

Jeff Goodman is reporting that Keny has an official visit scheduled at USC this weekend for the Ohio State football game. http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

I doubt any 16 or 17 year old kid would pass up a chance to be treated like a god at USC for a weekend.

SupaDave
09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh man, I thought I'd been dipping too much into the dark blue Kool-Aid.

Dude, you've been freebasing the stuff!!

Of course, I agree with every word you've said! (You didn't mean BCS bowl games did you? That would be Amy Winehouse level of substance abuse!)

Giggle, giggle. Snort, snort. ROTFL.

SupaDave
09-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Jeff Goodman is reporting that Keny has an official visit scheduled at USC this weekend for the Ohio State football game. http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

I doubt any 16 or 17 year old kid would pass up a chance to be treated like a god at USC for a weekend.

The good thing about this statement is that I'm sure he's used to the "good life" as far as attention is concerned. I'm hoping he's just going for the experience. Lord knows I would.

Actually, I'd enroll in USC right now, undecided, walk-on the water polo team, jump on the bowling team in the off-season and go to the Sundance festival every year. Ahhhh, life as a USC jock... Sweet. ;)

ugadevil
09-09-2008, 11:28 PM

I wonder if Reggie Bush would give him any real estate tips in the area?

BlueintheFace
09-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Conversation taking place in Boynton household after K leaves...

Mr. Boynton- Kenny, if you don't go to Duke then you are a D*** fool.
Mrs. Boynton- Listen to your father.
Kenny- I don't know... Coach Donovan said I might see more playing time at UF

(ring, ring)

Kenny- Hello?
Coach K- Sorry to bother you Kenny, but did I leave my National Championship ring at your place?
Kenny- Which one?
Coach K- Exactly Kenny... uhhh, nvmd. I must have left it at Lebron's. I'll hit him up on my cellie. Talk to you soon.

BlueintheFace
09-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I think you can rest assured that Watzone will post an update here when appropriate. Not to speak for him, but he undoubtedly must cater to his premium members first before giving us any real nuggets of info. I would be patient and wait for him to come to us, he usually does.

Getting information from Watzone can be tricky... you have to say the right things and play the waiting games. Sometimes negative provocation is the best method, sometimes not. It's like hunting very clever game. (creepy mischievous smile)...

BD80
09-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Getting information from Watzone can be tricky... you have to say the right things and play the waiting games. Sometimes negative provocation is the best method, sometimes not. It's like hunting very clever game. (creepy mischievous smile)...

Shhhh.

Duck season, or rabbit season?

BlueintheFace
09-10-2008, 12:27 AM
"... I'm hunting wabbit. "

dukeballer2294
09-10-2008, 01:13 AM

Hey I'm going to that game I should just walk by him and be like whoa Duke 54 Navy 7

tommy
09-10-2008, 02:37 AM

That's the benign possibility - that he just wants to go to LA, party, go to a big football game, and enjoy the co-eds. If that's it, go for it.

The other possibility, not so benign, is Tim Floyd using whatever (in all likelihood) unsavory methods he and the USC boosters used to lure O.J. Mayo there when they had no business getting him, and dangling the same carrots in front of Boynton.

Gunnar Kaufman
09-10-2008, 07:52 AM
I hope potential recruits watch people like Lebron talk about playing for Coach K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzCIuyS0Is

and like Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq-alR0hg70&

Potential recruits are well aware of these videos, among others.

moonpie23
09-10-2008, 09:21 AM
so. No word at all??

BlueintheFace
09-10-2008, 11:38 AM
uuhhh... Hey Watzone, I heard a rumor that you don't know anything about boynoton's recruitment. My friend told me you don't even have any information about K's visit to see him!

Gunnar Kaufman
09-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Coach K and Kenny played chess until about 10 at night, during which time they discussed issues of interest to Kenny and his family.

Their game was disrupted by a call from Billy Donovan, who inquired as to what Kenny was up to.

"Playing chess with Coach K," Kenny responded. "You wanna play tomorrow?"

"Sorry," Billy D answered. "I can only play checkers."

CLT Devil
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Boynton is set to make an official visit October 24-25, the date of the Duke v. VA Commonwealth exhibition game. This is definately good news, and hopefully means the in-home visit went well. I think it's great to have him here for a BBall game, rather than a FB game. I'm a FB faithful attendee but BB is a much better recruiting visit.

duke5021
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
According to Watzone, Duke and Boynton have set an official visit date. I like our spot in line.

http://bluedevilnation.net

JasonEvans
09-10-2008, 04:27 PM
That's the benign possibility - that he just wants to go to LA, party, go to a big football game, and enjoy the co-eds. If that's it, go for it.

The other possibility, not so benign, is Tim Floyd using whatever (in all likelihood) unsavory methods he and the USC boosters used to lure O.J. Mayo there when they had no business getting him, and dangling the same carrots in front of Boynton.

In fairness, according to all reports on the matter, USC did not pursue OJ Mayo at all. OJ sent a rep to Floyd's office who said, "OJ Mayo would like to come here. He is on the cell phone right now and would like to make a committment."

Floyd said, "yes."

--Jason "it seems strange, but that is supposedly how it happened" Evans

gotham devil
09-10-2008, 04:47 PM
http://accbasketballrecruiting.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/kenny-boynton-leaning-towards-florida/

"Duke actually comes at me the hardest when they [are] here, but I just feel like I have a better relationship with those coaches, but they definitely come at me the hardest."

ForeverBlowingBubbles
09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Def. gotta be related to the Olympics.

Devilsfan
09-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Sure hope we're not the brides maid in this one. Hell, K wouldn't settle for Silver in the Olympics so I hope he won't settle for anything but gold here.

gotham devil
09-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Sure hope we're not the brides maid in this one. Hell, K wouldn't settle for Silver in the Olympics so I hope he won't settle for anything but gold here.
The complete interview

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2008/09/05/kenny-boynton-staying-in-florida.aspx

NB: [With] [Duke Head] “Coach K” [Mike Krzyzewski having] been in China, has that affected your recruitment with Duke any way, not being able to talk to them as much?
KB: No, he let me know . . . before the fact, so I respected that, but if he didn’t tell me and he just left it probably would have hurt him. . . . He still called actually.

NB: [With] Florida being an in-state school, does that give [it] any type of advantage or disadvantage?
KB: It does have a little advantage because I would like to . . . have my family at the games easily. They [can] drive up [because it’s] right there, but I’m not sure yet.

watzone
09-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Boynton is set to make an official visit October 24-25, the date of the Duke v. VA Commonwealth exhibition game. This is definately good news, and hopefully means the in-home visit went well. I think it's great to have him here for a BBall game, rather than a FB game. I'm a FB faithful attendee but BB is a much better recruiting visit.

Virginia Commonwealth is not on the Duke schedule. Perhaps you were rushed and meant Virginia Union.

Edouble
09-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Dude, VA Commonwealth? C'mon. We're playing Virginia Union. This is normally not a huge slip-up, but considering that VCU knocked us out of the first round of the tournament only two years ago, a good Duke fan, heck even a bad Duke fan, should know the difference.

Furthermore, how could we play an exibition game against a D1 school?

BlueintheFace
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
This seems very.... what's the word... "bad." All of our commits seem to cite their close relationship with coach K as a big reason why they came, and Kenny doesn't even put him in the top 3? Ouch

dukemomLA
09-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Does anyone have an email, address or phone # for Kenny B? I suspect one would not to post it on this board,....if so, send me a PM.

As a Duke mom, I would LOVE the opportunity to 'berate' Kenny B if he doesn't choose Duke, but more importantly I'd like to tell his mom and dad about my experiences as a Duke mom. Duke came through for us time and time again during tough circumstances, financially and with comforting support for my daughter's dad/my husband and his pesky brain tumor.

Duke rules. Both my daughter and my son-in-law are Duke grads (class of 2001). Daughter Alex then graduated with a law degree from USC (...for those of you on the East Coast that's SoCal), and son has started his final year at Stanford Law. Financially and in other ways there is NO WHERE will they give their support except Duke.

I can't tell you how important Duke and a Duke education has meant -- and truly I would like to share these experiences with Kenny B's family. If you can help me make a connection, let me know. A visit from Billy D. from FL doesn't hold a candle to having KB come to Duke.

-jk
09-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have an email, address or phone # for Kenny B? I suspect one would not to post it on this board,....if so, send me a PM.

Um. Please contact Duke before you attempt to contact a recruit. Please!

-jk

BlueintheFace
09-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Um, better yet. NEVER go out of your way to make contact with a recruit. NEVER EVER EVER.

BD80
09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
...All of our commits seem to cite their close relationship with coach K as a big reason why they came, and Kenny doesn't even put him in the top 3? ...

YET!

I take it as a good sign, that Duke coaches are coming "at him the hardest". How many times have we lost a recruiting battle, hearing the recruit say something to the effect "the other school recruited me harder". Doesn't sound like that is going to happen here. Coach K is the master at developing relationships.

It is bad that Chris Collins wasn't mentioned as one of the top three coaches. It sounds like he hasn't connected with Kenny. That may be why Nate Dog also went to the visit, to give Kenny another coach to connect to.

Sounds like we have some work to do, but I still like our chances.

studdlee10
09-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't think anybody knows what to expect out of Boynton. This kid has become the king of misdirection and misinformation. One interview, he's saying he is looking hard at KState, next interview they're not even there. I think he's learned to play the game and is basically fooling the rest of us. I mean, did anybody really believe that he wasn't going to take official visits to UF and Duke? I mean to me, it's almost ridiculous that he would say otherwise.

He may end up at Florida, and I would totally understand why, but at this point I won't believe anything until he makes a commitment.

Bob Green
09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
This kid has become the king of misdirection and misinformation.

I believe this characterization is a bit harsh. IMO, Kenny Boynton is a young man facing an extremely difficult decision, which has life long consequences. He is keeping all options open and taking his time to ensure he makes the right choice. Everything I've read has consistently stated that Kenny Boynton will announce his decision around November. I'm patiently waiting.

dukeballer2294
09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I believe this characterization is a bit harsh. IMO, Kenny Boynton is a young man facing an extremely difficult decision, which has life long consequences. He is keeping all options open and taking his time to ensure he makes the right choice. Everything I've read has consistently stated that Kenny Boynton will announce his decision around November. I'm patiently waiting.

We should throw a party 24 hours before he is supposed to announce. It would be crazy.

JasonEvans
09-10-2008, 08:31 PM

As a Duke mom, I would LOVE the opportunity to 'berate' Kenny B if he doesn't choose Duke, but more importantly I'd like to tell his mom and dad about my experiences as a Duke mom. Duke came through for us time and time again during tough circumstances, financially and with comforting support for my daughter's dad/my husband and his pesky brain tumor.

Duke rules. Both my daughter and my son-in-law are Duke grads (class of 2001). Daughter Alex then graduated with a law degree from USC (...for those of you on the East Coast that's SoCal), and son has started his final year at Stanford Law. Financially and in other ways there is NO WHERE will they give their support except Duke.

I can't tell you how important Duke and a Duke education has meant -- and truly I would like to share these experiences with Kenny B's family. If you can help me make a connection, let me know. A visit from Billy D. from FL doesn't hold a candle to having KB come to Duke.

I think we can all assume this was just a joke. No one should be posting or talking in a serious way about contacting a recruit. Doing so could easily result in NCAA action against Duke and the odds are far greater that you would hurt Duke's chances than help with said recruit.

Again, I think Dukemom was just kidding and expressing what she would say to Kenny if she had his ear.

--Jason "it is easier to get in trouble with the NCAA than you might imagine" Evans

miramar
09-11-2008, 08:46 AM
at least he understands that Coach K was involved in the Olympics, and also mentions that the two have stayed in touch.

He certainly does not come off like Baron Davis, who got upset because Coach K did not stay in touch in the weeks after his mother passed away. Boynton must be in the middle of a pressure cooker, but he seems to be handling it well.

happydays1949
09-11-2008, 09:29 AM
at least he understands that Coach K was involved in the Olympics, and also mentions that the two have stayed in touch.

He certainly does not come off like Baron Davis, who got upset because Coach K did not stay in touch in the weeks after his mother passed away. Boynton must be in the middle of a pressure cooker, but he seems to be handling it well.

Well, I took his quote as another Baron Davis.

BlueintheFace
09-12-2008, 05:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3583835&name=katz_andy

miramar
09-13-2008, 12:10 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3583835&name=katz_andy

I don't think I have ever seen a group recruiting visit like the one that USC has lined up for this weekend. With five official and eight unofficial recruits (plus one recruit lined up already for each of the next two years) they don't need a very high success rate to claim a huge boost for their program.

I hope Boynton gets lost in the shuffle or feels too far from home.

I will also be rooting for Ohio State.

Devilsfan
09-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Go Bucks!

jbond10
09-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Cautious optimism...... (http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=3592275)

BlueintheFace
09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Very interesting... I was getting a little excited while reading it. I'd say if he had to choose now, he would choose Duke. That could all change though. The Nolan/Elliot connection helps a lot.

SilkyJ
09-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Article on Kenny's recruitment...tough to take much away, though he did like the comparisons to J Will

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=3592275&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab7pos1

BlueintheFace
09-19-2008, 02:04 PM
no offense mods, but I think that this article definitely deserves it's own thread since it gives us plenty to talk about (K's recruiting methods, Kenny Boynton, the assistants, Donovan, etc...). Now it is just buried at the end of a long thread. Plus, the original post is a lead into a rare ESPN recruitment article, not just another comment on Boynton's recruitment. There is some real insight here that we don't normally get. I'd leave it as it's own thread.

SilkyJ
09-19-2008, 02:11 PM
no offense mods, but I think that this article definitely deserves it's own thread since it gives us plenty to talk about (K's recruiting methods, Kenny Boynton, the assistants, Donovan, etc...). Now it is just buried at the end of a long thread. Plus, the original post is a lead into a rare ESPN recruitment article, not just another comment on Boynton's recruitment. There is some real insight here that we don't normally get. I'd leave it as it's own thread.

I purposefully placed it in this thread b/c of the consolidation/organization the mods had been asking for. Sorry...

oh and now I realized someone beat me to the punch...sorry...must have posted the same time as me because I had to go searching for the thread...

whereinthehellami
09-19-2008, 03:37 PM

I agree, good article. Looks like UF to me. I don't get the Limo thing with Coach K.

Jaymf7
09-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Is it common for recruits to wear shorts and a tank top to these meetings? I would imagine that most coaches dress up a bit (as the Duke gang did) for these interviews. Maybe it is a generational thing, but I certainly dressed when I had interviews for Duke and grad school. I suppose I did not already have a scholarship offer at that time, though. At the end of the day, I don't think the fact that Boyton dressed down says anything about him -- I just was a bit surprised.

footballfan2
09-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Cautious optimism...... (http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/boys/news/story?id=3592275)

good article. A good behind the scenes look. If I was objective, it looks like Duke still has some ground to catch up with Florida.

footballfan2
09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Is it common for recruits to wear shorts and a tank top to these meetings? I would imagine that most coaches dress up a bit (as the Duke gang did) for these interviews. Maybe it is a generational thing, but I certainly dressed when I had interviews for Duke and grad school. I suppose I did not already have a scholarship offer at that time, though. At the end of the day, I don't think the fact that Boyton dressed down says anything about him -- I just was a bit surprised.

Well if you look at the pictures... Donovan doesn't have a tie on. Coach K is wearing a suit... as is Collins and Nate James.

They also pointed out that Duke came in a limo and Donovan came in a brown mini-van.

Seems like in many ways, Donovan is able to "connect" with the players on a more personal level.

Indoor66
09-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Well if you look at the pictures... Donovan doesn't have a tie on. Coach K is wearing a suit... as is Collins and Nate James.

They also pointed out that Duke came in a limo and Donovan came in a brown mini-van.

Seems like in many ways, Donovan is able to "connect" with the players on a more personal level.

It could also be construed as professionalism and a mark of respect to the family by the Duke coaches. They covey a sense of seriousness for the recruit, family and the decision to be made.

watzone
09-19-2008, 09:20 PM
I find it interesting that Donovan toned it down in that he is rarely casual in other settings. IMO, he was catering to the family, knowing K and company come in professional. There is nothing fake about that for Duke was just being themselves. They didn't change up their recruiting patterns. IMO that's being real. I mean, have you ever seen Donovans cars or his house accross the street from Meyer? Uh huh! He's the common man alright;) They flew in for gosh sakes, why not hire a limo instead of a taxi.

It did read like the family is a UF lean, but how do we know what was left out? The thing in the Gators corner is that they can push staying home and playing with your friend. It'll be a tough get, but will KB do whats best for him or his family?

SupaDave
09-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I find it interesting that Donovan toned it down in that he is rarely casual in other settings. IMO, he was catering to the family, knowing K and company come in professional. There is nothing fake about that for Duke was just being themselves. They which IMO is being didn't change up their recruiting patterns. IMO it's being real. I mean, have you ever seen Donovans cars or his house accross the street from Meyer? Uh huh! He's the common man alright;) They flew in for gosh sakes, why not hire a limo instead of a taxi.

It did seem like the family is a UF lean, but how do we know what was left out? The thing in the Gators corner is that they can push staying home and playing with your friend. It'll be a tough get, but will KB do whats best for him or his family?

Excellent point Watzone. The family probably liked Coach K's limo. "That's just how they roll" is an acknowledgement of the fact that K and Co. are not being 'hollywood' but it is b/c that's normal modus operandi for K and Co.

Hmmmm... Am I the only one that noticed that the family was REALLY impressed with K?

Take it from me, the thing that stuck out to me was the length of the visits. K and Co - 5 hrs. Donovan - 2 hrs and apparently he didn't like the food(I kid!). But still - that's a HUGE discrepency.

His mom is pro-Duke - and I love her. That's VERY obvious from this article. She appears to have high expectations and Coach K is the definition of that in so many ways.

An offense tailored to a player? Yep - we've done that. Just ask Johnny D, J. WIll, Laetner, Reddick, or Trajan Langdon...

This is a great article, one of which that shows Boynton as a typical teenager from a good, close knit family. Boynton is handling his recruitment with class and patience.

He doesn't need to dress up - he wears a uniform everyday! The Coaches want to see him in his element - he's already done most of his auditioning. Besides, he's going to college - there'll be plenty of time to dress up.

Nolan Smith may become one of the most important recruits in recent years due to not only his unbelievable talent but also his leadership abilities that allow him to befriend most of the players that he comes across.

So far the recruitment of Boynton looks GENIUS. They've already given him a big man. He'll be coming into a strong situation and they've already let him know that they'll will be plenty of help on the way.

I'm liking the kid and I'm liking our odds...

(and no - Lil' Wayne can not hold a candle to the Notorious B.I.G.)

ice-9
09-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I agree with the assessment that Duke has some catching up to do. The following are my extrapolations from the article...and yes, I know I did a lot of extrapolating :) but that's what online forums are for.

+ If we get Boynton, Smith and Elliot are going to be big reasons why. Coach K did the right move in opening with the Smith story -- sets a common ground

+ The JWill references are positive, but a little theoretical. Boynton doesn't really know who JWill is and doesn't have the respect and awe that would make the comparison really powerful. I think the coaches may need to shift the point of emphasis in recruiting to a different angle for Boynton's official visit

+ Eating everything is a good move. This will sound stupid, I know, but every time I visit a girlfriend's parents for the first time and they make dinner, I finish every single thing they give me and more. It's just a nice thing to do and says you appreciate their hospitality

+ The Shavlik story the reporter recounted for the Boyntons did us a favor because it showed that Donovan has gone to ridiculous lengths before for a recruit and that his efforts for Boynton aren't all that special. (And oh yeah, that Shavlik still picked Duke)

+ Donavon's nerf gun is cute and creative...but kinda gimmicky. I don't know if the Boyntons would see it the same way but if I was a highly sought after recruit I wouldn't be impressed with such a tactic. If you want to speak from the heart, just speak from the heart. Propping your comments with a nerf gun implies that you're NOT being genuine and that you need a gimmick to draw attention away from your sales tactics

- The fact that Donovan was able to mimic Boynton (in a humorous way) says volumes about how well he knows the kid. Advantage Florida

- Ditto with the dad impersonating Donovan. Double advantage Florida. Overall it seems like the Boynton family connected better with Donovan on a personal level. Hopefully, the Boyntons realize the most important thing about a coach is not that he is someone they can be friends with, but someone who they can listen to and respect; someone who can teach. If they do...advantage Coach K

- The reporter wrote that Dana hopes to see even more when they travel to Durham, N.C., for his official visit, which is tentatively scheduled for the weekend of Oct. 17. "That's when I want them to just bring it," she says. This implies that "it," whatever it is, wasn't brought to the visit. She's still waiting to be impressed

- The wedding ring comment seemed like a dig at Coach K...likely in reference to the fact that our assistants were the ones recruiting Boynton while Coach K was in the Olympics. Kenny Sr's response: He said that's how he was gonna take care of Junior. Personally. So the comment seems well-received...though if it was me, I'd be unimpressed with that subtle dig to Duke. C'mon...it's the Olympics, sacrifice a little!

- The limo (and perhaps the suits) made us look a little too formal. Note how the article quotes Kenny Sr with I guess that's just how they roll. I ain't mad at that at all. The phrasing made it sound like maybe he should've been mad, and perhaps that's something the reporter picked up on

+/- Florida is scheduled for the last visit. This can be good in that there's a chance Boynton could make a decision straight after the Duke visit (unlikely though given how well Florida has been recruiting Boynton). This can be bad in that the Florida impression would likely to be his freshest when he makes a decision

The good news about the article is that it seems clear it's a two horse race between Duke and Florida. Hopefully the Boyntons realize that in terms of education and opportunities for self-actualization, there is no better place than Duke. Come on down Kenny and win us a championship! There are no gimmicks about Duke: you gell well with our players, our coaches are on a class of their own, there's a place for a player like you on our team, and well Duke is Duke. This is the best place for you to realize your dreams and ambitions.

mo.st.dukie
09-20-2008, 12:23 AM
+ The JWill references are positive, but a little theoretical. Boynton doesn't really know who JWill is and doesn't have the respect and awe that would make the comparison really powerful. I think the coaches may need to shift the point of emphasis in recruiting to a different angle for Boynton's official visit

Yeah, he hasn't lost a step at all, either," Boynton says of Williams. "Dude is still niiiice!"

Boynton played pickup games with Williams and other Duke players while visiting the school unofficially in late June. Boynton is giddy when talking about the comparison

skitelz
09-20-2008, 12:29 AM
here's what i got out of the article:

*Kenny's mother really likes Duke. She was the one to set up the first in-home visit with Duke. She really hopes that Duke "brings it" on the official visit. I took the last comment as in "I really hope that Duke impresses Kenny during his official visit because I want him to go there".

*Kenny and his family liked the Jay Williams comparison, but it might be getting a little old, with Kenny's brother especially. I think Kenny likes it, but doesn't want it to be pushed on him.

*He really likes Elliot Williams and Nolan. They seem to be recruiting him hard to come to Duke. This is really good because there is Eloy on the other side wanting him to come to Florida.

*Kenny's dad doesnt really care where he goes. I think that he realizes that its down to Florida and Duke. He also knows that both are excellent choices for Kenny and is allowing Kenny to be his own man and make the decision.

* Coach K and staff employed an excellent recruiting strategy. They rolled up in a limo, but the family was still impressed with how at-home the Duke boys were. And they showed Kenny how he could be used without alienating (sp) him.

*I really really liked Kenny's last quote on the duke part. "I won't lie," Boynton says. "That was cool. I had a good time with them … I'm feeling them even more than I was before tonight." This makes me feel really good. This to me says "I was feeling Duke so much that I didnt think they could make me like them any more than I already do. But they impressed me even more tonite"

*I dont know what the article is talking about with the visit dates. Maybe they mixed up Florida and Duke? Everything Ive heard, including his scout profile, says that Duke will be having the last visit. But what Ive heard has been from free forums and articles so I could be wrong. Watzone, what have you heard?

miramar
09-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Donovan must be a pretty impressive recruiter if he can make a fine family like this think he's sincere about anything. I live in Florida and one of my daughters went to UF, so I really don't have anything against the school. But while Donovan's a fine coach, I've always thought that the guy is a bit of a used car salesman.

As far as the suit vs. the casual approach is concerned, I remember that Coach K told Jeff Capel to dress the way that makes him feel more comfortable, which in his case is (or at least used to be) in shorts. I think that the Duke staff showed what they are about, somewhat formal yet friendly and sincere, and that's all you can ask. I was also happy to see that Nate is accompanying Coach K and Collins, so he's really getting involved as an assistant coach.

Finally, we must really be interested in KB if he already has over 250 posts in this thread.

Ignatius07
09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Finally, we must really be interested in KB if he already has over 250 posts in this thread.

Um, this is not the indicator I would have used, but clearly there is some interest.

moonpie23
09-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Come on kenny....COME TO DUKE!!!

:)

footballfan2
09-20-2008, 11:55 AM
here's what i got out of the article:

*I really really liked Kenny's last quote on the duke part. "I won't lie," Boynton says. "That was cool. I had a good time with them … I'm feeling them even more than I was before tonight." This makes me feel really good. This to me says "I was feeling Duke so much that I didnt think they could make me like them any more than I already do. But they impressed me even more tonite"

i didn't take away the same thing you did from this. Several days before the in-home visits, KB was quoted as saying he had a good bond with x, y, z. Billy Donovan was one of them. KB did not list one Duke staff member. So the general consensus (or at least my opinion) was that KB didn't have a tight relationship with Duke.

So what I took away from this article are two things:

1) Duke made up some ground. After the in-home he's "feeling" Duke a bit more. That's good.

2) The bad is that I think he "feels" Billy Donovan a bit more. Obviously the article can be slanted, but assuming it's not... it seems pretty obvious that KB has a more personal connection to UF while having a more "business" relationship with Duke. I'm not too sure which one is better. As some posters here have already stated, if I'm a top prospect I'm not looking for a friend as a coach. I'm looking for great program, school, etc...

gotham devil
09-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I find it interesting that Donovan toned it down in that he is rarely casual in other settings. IMO, he was catering to the family, knowing K and company come in professional. There is nothing fake about that for Duke was just being themselves. They didn't change up their recruiting patterns. IMO that's being real. I mean, have you ever seen Donovans cars or his house accross the street from Meyer? Uh huh! He's the common man alright;) They flew in for gosh sakes, why not hire a limo instead of a taxi.

It did read like the family is a UF lean, but how do we know what was left out? The thing in the Gators corner is that they can push staying home and playing with your friend. It'll be a tough get, but will KB do whats best for him or his family?
Donovan is an excellent salesman, an underrated head coach, and a good example of the modern version of a "player's coach". He's college basketball's answer to Pete Carroll.

Needless to say, I hope Duke can pull out all of the stops on his official visit. If it takes flying in Kobe Bryant, getting his favorite food and music, a twenty foot poster of him when he walks into the gym at the new Krzyzewski building, Vegas caliber light shows, assuage their concerns about distance, get the nicest limo in NC for his pops, show them homes (if they want to relocate), a year's supply of wings, etc., like the nice lady said, "Bring it." ;)

It'll be a tough get, but will KB do whats best for him or his family?
Hopefully, both options become Duke.

BTW, SupaDave I agree wholeheartedly on the Biggie point.

SilkyJ
09-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I think its tough to tell who is in the lead. I absolutely agree that Billy's showing up in a mini-van, and this whole "common man" act is just that, an act. Nonetheless, recruiting is tricky and it may work for him, but I don't really understand why everyone seems to think Florida is in the lead. If I had a choice between two awesome programs, two awesome coaches, etc. etc. but I had two good friends who I wanted to play with on a another team, well that would sway me. But of course I'm not KB.

Come on kenny....COME TO DUKE!!!

:)

how does this post add to the discussion, which has been quite robust since the posting of the article?

Devilsfan
09-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I bet it comes down to what his mother wants and how far she will permit him to be away from home regardless of the superior education both on and off the court Duke offers her son.

Classof06
09-20-2008, 07:15 PM
One thing that really helps Duke is Boynton's prior relationship with Nolan and Eliot Williams. Patterson chose not to come because he didn't "click" with the Duke players when he visited and whatnot but that doesn't seem to be the case with Boynton.

When you combine that with the other obvious reasons that a kid would want to go to Duke, both on and off the court, I really do like our chances.

As football season has come around, I haven't really kept up with Duke's recruiting but I know enough to know that this is a kid we need to get. Hopefully Kenny makes the right choice :D.

I also thought that ESPN article was interesting, especially when they mentioned that Duke's staff came in a limo again. I know there was some discussion about how that might've rubbed Greg Monroe the wrong way but at the time, I actually thought the whole limo thing was a rumor. Guess not.

gotham devil
09-20-2008, 08:24 PM
One thing that really helps Duke is Boynton's prior relationship with Nolan and Eliot Williams. Patterson chose not to come because he didn't "click" with the Duke players when he visited and whatnot but that doesn't seem to be the case with Boynton.

On the other hand, he's been close friends with Eloy Vargas and Ray Shipman of Florida. In the case of Patterson, Duke, at least, didn't have to deal a pair of his friends recruiting him to their primary competition.

skitelz
09-21-2008, 07:14 PM
On the other hand, he's been close friends with Eloy Vargas and Ray Shipman of Florida. In the case of Patterson, Duke, at least, didn't have to deal a pair of his friends recruiting him to their primary competition.

jai lucas was recruiting him for florida...granted he still didnt go there but...

Edouble
09-22-2008, 12:13 AM
how does this post add to the discussion, which has been quite robust since the posting of the article?

True, Moonpie23's post added little to the discussion... unless KB himself is on here reading all of this and likes the enthusiasm. Although it is a pretty substance-less post, Moonpie23 is generally an engaging participant on this board with interesting opinions and good insight, so I say we forgive him this once. :p

P.S. Kenny! Come to Duke!!!

moonpie23
09-22-2008, 12:51 AM
i actually got busted for senseless posting...or something.....i was just thinking about kenny reading all the "deep, technical disection of his recruitment" and thought....wow.....how about just a shout out?

we all want kenny to come to duke.......

i'll have to do better.....

SupaDave
09-22-2008, 09:47 AM

I believe Patterson's main goal was to stay near home. It was evident from his interviews and was one of the reasons Duke was even in it with Florida. Florida and Duke both had the need and Duke was a better locale.

Kentucky with a new coach who probably also offered Patterson his first born child were only 2.5 hrs from home. The Pattersons were sold.

BlueintheFace
09-25-2008, 10:39 AM
I made one of my occasional trips to the TDD board and found out that Boynton has postponed his visit to Duke because of a scheduling conflict. Is this nothing or probably something bad? It certainly doesn't seem like a good sign...

Devilsfan
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Never a good sign.

yancem
09-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I made one of my occasional trips to the TDD board and found out that Boynton has postponed his visit to Duke because of a scheduling conflict. Is this nothing or probably something bad? It certainly doesn't seem like a good sign...

Didn't Leslie McDonald cancel or postpone a visit? It very well may be nothing more than it appears but anytime I see something like this I tend to suspect the worst.

Cormac
09-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Short of emergencies, I can't see how this is good in any way, shape or form. I mean, if you really wanted to go to Duke, would you turn down a free trip, or even delay it? I know I'd be there asap and reschedule any "conflicting" appointments.

NYC Duke Fan
09-25-2008, 11:00 AM
As Tim Russert said 2 elections ago,, Florida, Florida, Florida

I would be very surprised if Boynton did not wind up in Gainesville, to be followed shortly thereafter by Knight

quickgtp
09-25-2008, 11:09 AM
If this is in fact true, do you think they went overboard with the Jason Williams comparison? Sounds like they are more different than they are similar....

ItalianDevil
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
If Boynton thinks Donovan > K and Duke academics < Fla academics, good for him. I foresee a bad ending, but maybe a bigger door (e.g. Knight, others) will open for us thereafter...

Gunnar Kaufman
09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
http://khairilhusni.blogmas.com/files/2007/12/mcferrin-bobby-dont-worry-be-happy-capitol-1993.jpg

Uncle Drew
09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
The Sky Is Falling!!! Okay just had to get that out of the way just in case Boynton invokes the Patterson-Monroe doctrine. I realize recruits are being pulled in all kinds of directions and school is now going on too. But a "scheduling conflict" sounds similar to, "visiting a sick friend", "I have to wash my hair" and "it wasn't me it was the one armed man". With the rumour mill going around about he and another recruit wanting to go to the same school a delay doesn't sound good at all.

Thankfully we just got some good news in recruiting recently to offset any bad news should it come. (Who knows that good news could have influenced the "scheduling conflict")

ehdg
09-25-2008, 12:34 PM
If Boynton thinks Donovan > K and Duke academics < Fla academics, good for him. I foresee a bad ending, but maybe a bigger door (e.g. Knight, others) will open for us thereafter...

I doubt he thinks that but it's possible that if he is just a one and done type that he'd like to go where the Academics are easier so he wouldn't have to work as hard on the book end and be able to devote more energy towards his game so he's ready for the draft in the summer after the season. Just a thought.

But I wouldn't worry things happen and he still could and might make his visit to Duke and then commit.

whereinthehellami
09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I think this is a case where the home team wins out. Florida is a good basketball school with a good coach and its close to home. Family and friends can see him alot more.

I'm suprised Coach K has been able to win as many out of state battles that he has through the years.

SupaDave
09-25-2008, 02:20 PM
I think this is a case where the home team wins out. Florida is a good basketball school with a good coach and its close to home. Family and friends can see him alot more.

I'm suprised Coach K has been able to win as many out of state battles that he has through the years.

I pretty much disagree with all of the above. Seriously. Florida has TWO EXCELLENT years - and two good recruiting classes. I know our memories can be short but let's not get ahead of ourselves...

At Duke - family and friends can see EVERY game he plays in. Trust me - just b/c he's closer wont mean he'll have more company.

Not to mention that the Duke parents have some pretty impressive means of accomodating the basketball season and are very supportive of one another.

Well since I like to see my glass as half-full, all this really says to me is that we are NOW the LAST visit. A very good sign indeed.

Scheduling conflicts happen - he's Lebron James without the immediate pro hype - I'm certain that things can come up in that kind of lifestyle.

FireOgilvie
09-25-2008, 02:22 PM

I'd rather have every single game nationally televised on ESPN. I'd rather have everyone know who I was because I went to Duke, playing for the best coach in the country. But that's just me. Most people outside of Florida or the SEC don't know/care about Florida. Everyone knows Duke.

bdh21
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Lance Thomas flat out canceled a visit to Durham during the fall of his senior year. I wouldn't worry too much. This might be bad, or it might not be... We won't know till later.

Tim1515
09-25-2008, 02:34 PM
I pretty much disagree with all of the above. Seriously. Florida has TWO EXCELLENT years - and two good recruiting classes. I know our memories can be short but let's not get ahead of ourselves...

At Duke - family and friends can see EVERY game he plays in. Trust me - just b/c he's closer wont mean he'll have more company.

Not to mention that the Duke parents have some pretty impressive means of accomodating the basketball season and are very supportive of one another.

Well since I like to see my glass as half-full, all this really says to me is that we are NOW the LAST visit. A very good sign indeed.

Scheduling conflicts happen - he's Lebron James without the immediate pro hype - I'm certain that things can come up in that kind of lifestyle.

Listen i love Duke as much as the next guy but you're way off with Florida. Donovan has had top recruiting classes for years now. Actually 1 of his worst rated recruiting classes was the one that brought in Horford, Noah and company.

The problem is that Donovan was always able to recruit talent...they were just headcases and the team as a whole never succeeded...can't say that anymore.

Duke has a lot to offer KB but so does Florida and not seeing that is just being ignorant.

BD80
09-25-2008, 04:07 PM

Until we hear more, or hear he has committed to Fla, relax. Kenny's Mom wants Duke to "bring it" at the on campus visit, so it is a good thing that Kenny is planning a trip with no time conflicts. It would be nice if we can have Mason and Ryan Kelly in the same weekend so they can play some pick-up together.

My concern is that Kenny is just looking for a fun year. It sounds like his Mom is on-line with the Duke approach, and the opportunities Duke offers, but won't influence his decision. Kenny is faced with one of those decisions we have all had: he knows Duke is the best choice, but he knows it it isn't the easy choice. His Dad seems very fun loving, and Kenny may have that same streak pushing him toward a year of enjoyment with little academic effort.

However, I think Kenny is a very important recruit for us, and seems to have the ability to succeed at Duke academically and athletically. Coach K has a good shot at convincing him that Duke is the best place for him. Getting him on campus to see the facilities and to know the team may clinch the deal.

SupaDave
09-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Listen i love Duke as much as the next guy but you're way off with Florida. Donovan has had top recruiting classes for years now. Actually 1 of his worst rated recruiting classes was the one that brought in Horford, Noah and company.

The problem is that Donovan was always able to recruit talent...they were just headcases and the team as a whole never succeeded...can't say that anymore.

Duke has a lot to offer KB but so does Florida and not seeing that is just being ignorant.

This is HILARIOUS. Univ. of Florida players in the NBA:

1998 -Jason Williams
2000 -Mike Miller
Udonis Haslem - left school overweight - UNDRAFTED
2003 -Matt Bonner
2005 -David Lee
2007- Horford, Noah, Green, Brewer, Richards

WHOA! That Florida talent is blowing me away.

Since WHEN do head cases count as 'good' recruits? Maybe you should look at Maryland's summer.

And while I liked guys like Matt Walsh and Dupay - an excellent recruiting class was not what they were known for. It was the class of Mike Miller and Haslem in 1998 that got Donovan some attention but it was by NO means even in the top 5 that year. Almost ALL of Donovan's players have been 4 year students - he hasn't exactly been recruiting studs.

They've had 10 draft picks since 2000 (6 in the first round) which is decent but we have like 10 players right NOW playing in the league.

Sorryif I'm biased but I think we have just a TAD bit more to offer.

beach rev
09-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Perhaps our beloved Watzone will be able to provide us with a little insight...

Gunnar Kaufman
09-25-2008, 04:50 PM
http://loshia.com/wordpress/wp-content/2007/11/everything-will-be-ok-unknown-magnet-c11750616.jpeg

DBFAN
09-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Will this trend ever end. None of this looks good, not trying to be negative, but winning the Gold Medal over the summer is not helping the way I expected it would. Of course this could be no big deal, but I wouldn't bet on it:(

jimsumner
09-25-2008, 05:01 PM
"but winning the Gold Medal over the summer is not helping the way I expected it would."

K has received committments from two top players in the class of 2010 and may well be closing in on a banner class. Duke still is in the running for Boynton and Kelly. Most of the post-Olympic bump is expected to be in the classes of 2010 and latter.

I'm not sure what is prompting all the complaining that K is only bringing in "projects." It's not like he's pulling Singler, Scheyer, Henderson, Williams, Smith, Plumlee et. al. off the reject pile.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Will this trend ever end. None of this looks good, not trying to be negative, but winning the Gold Medal over the summer is not helping the way I expected it would. Of course this could be no big deal, but I wouldn't bet on it:(

Anyone who thinks the USA winning the gold would mean that K could simply walk into kids' living rooms and sign them up is being ridiculous. At best, it's another arrow in K's quiver that is likely to help in the recruiting process over the long run. It's not a panacea. I've said it before... recruiting is selling. Even the best salesperson with the best product doesn't win every deal. It's just not realistic. That's why you keep your pipeline full.

The whole "sky is falling" routine is getting really old. It's not like the program is going to fold if Boynton doesn't come to Durham. Let's relax, stop being spoiled, have some faith in our very talented coaches and show some better support for the guys who do choose to wear the blue and white.

DBFAN
09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
"but winning the Gold Medal over the summer is not helping the way I expected it would."

K has received committments from two top players in the class of 2010 and may well be closing in on a banner class. Duke still is in the running for Boynton and Kelly. Most of the post-Olympic bump is expected to be in the classes of 2010 and latter.

I'm not sure what is prompting all the complaining that K is only bringing in "projects." It's not like he's pulling Singler, Scheyer, Henderson, Williams, Smith, Plumlee et. al. off the reject pile.

I hope you are right about Boynton, but the one thing that bothers me is that kids will be kids. I just know that teenagers sometimes will just do what everyone else is doing, and right now Florida is one of the popular places to go, along with that other school down the road from us. And yes the "Olympic Bump" (watching to much election coverage :D) will effect 2009-10 more, but we only have so many scholarships to give, and so many players to go after.

DBFAN
09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I was never implying that Coack K could just sit back and wait for the recruits, I do not know where you get that, I am pretty sure no one knew what I was implying, I was just hoping it could get us over the hump.

Diddy
09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I love Duke. Most of the people here love Duke. But Duke is not the only good school out there, nor is it the only good Basketball destination for a recruit.

Duke, and Durham, have their drawbacks. Like any location, there are plusses and negatives. Gainsville is the same way. It has great facilities, it is a college town with a good party scene, and the coeds are reportedly something special.

Frankly, one thing in the KB article that jumped out at me was his disdain for the rich kids at the Private School he now attends. Be it right or wrong, there is a perception that Duke is populated with those same kids of entitlement.

Regardless of the above, there is a PT situation that must be considered. When Boynton arrives, our backcourt may consist of Nolan Smith, Eliot Williams, Jon Scheyer, and Gerald Henderson (assuming the 3 guard alignment continues). I don't care how good Boynton is, there is no guarantee that he starts over one of those guys. If he does start, I CAN guanantee that those other 3 guys will play a whole lot. Hendo could go, but I still can't guarantee that KB plays over a Sr Scheyer. Still, his minutes would be restricted. Even if Hendo returns, I do not see extended periods of 4 guard alignment, because we have other, viable options in the post to pair with Singler.

At Florida, he will start from Day one. The only other player in FL's backcourt guaranteed to start would be Calathes, and he could play the SF role in a pinch. KB will play early and play often at UF.

We may not like it, but FL is not a bad option for KB. If it was your kid, and you did not have a Duke allegiance, how would you advise your kid? Duke is a brand name, but FL is a solid option. At Duke there is serious comp for minutes and shots. At FL he might average 25 mpg from day one, with all the shots he cares to take.

I think Duke is a better option, but it is not a slam Dunk. We need to recognize that Duke is not the perfect destination for any player we deign to recruit.

DBFAN
09-25-2008, 05:25 PM
I am also confused about where I was implying that Duke is in some grave danger if we do not get him, it is just frustrating losing on some recruits.

DBFAN
09-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Take it for what is worth, another poster on ESPN said that Boynton was rescheduling his visits with Florida, maybe that was mentioned and I didnt see it. Like I said take it for what it is worth.

SilkyJ
09-25-2008, 05:42 PM
My concern is that Kenny is just looking for a fun year. It sounds like his Mom is on-line with the Duke approach, and the opportunities Duke offers, but won't influence his decision. Kenny is faced with one of those decisions we have all had: he knows Duke is the best choice, but he knows it it isn't the easy choice. His Dad seems very fun loving, and Kenny may have that same streak pushing him toward a year of enjoyment with little academic effort.

You may be right about what Kenny wants. But with regards to his dad, I don't know him, but most sheriffs and sheriff's deputies aren't just happy go lucky types...

it is just frustrating losing on some recruits.

I don't know what to tell ya here. Ever since the existence of recruiting, we have lost out on recruits and we will continue to lose out on some recruits for the remainder of the existence of recruiting. As Jim points out above, we've had our fair share of wins. I mean we just got Hairston and thornton, two of our targets for 2010. Singler, Smith, Gerald, John, Josh, Greg were all big time recruits that we got.

Not to try and put you down, but it would seem as though you have only started following recruiting more recently as it has become more of an internet phenomenon. These ups and downs have and will continue to happen. There is a good saying round these parts: TRUST IN K.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I am also confused about where I was implying that Duke is in some grave danger if we do not get him, it is just frustrating losing on some recruits.

You referenced some never-ending trend. I assume you meant some sort of trend of losing marquee recruits. To me it is not a trend. It is a reality that every school shares. We have in the past and will continue to get our fair share of top recruits.

Negativity in response to our recruiting effort and accomplishments is tiresome at best.

DBFAN
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
You may be right about what Kenny wants. But with regards to his dad, I don't know him, but most sheriffs and sheriff's deputies aren't just happy go lucky types...

I don't know what to tell ya here. Ever since the existence of recruiting, we have lost out on recruits and we will continue to lose out on some recruits for the remainder of the existence of recruiting. As Jim points out above, we've had our fair share of wins. I mean we just got Hairston and thornton, two of our targets for 2010. Singler, Smith, Gerald, John, Josh, Greg were all big time recruits that we got.

Not to try and put you down, but it would seem as though you have only started following recruiting more recently as it has become more of an internet phenomenon. These ups and downs have and will continue to happen. There is a good saying round these parts: TRUST IN K.

I have followed recruiting for awhile, I just dont type on this board but about once a month.

I do find it funny that you write "not to put you down but" and of course that means you are putting me down. It is like when southern women like my mother say something bad about someone and follow it up with "Bless her Heart" :D

SilkyJ
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I do find it funny that you write "not to put you down but" and of course that means you are putting me down. It is like when southern women like my mother say something bad about someone and follow it up with "Bless her Heart" :D

Well take offense if you want. I didn't mean to offend, and that's exactly why I said it.

Perhaps a better choice of words would have been "I don't really know you or how much you know." That's what I was trying to say. Many people who have viewpoints along the lines of what you are saying are very new to recruiting and seem to hit the panic button every time a recruit chooses another school.

Have you always gotten frustrated and negative when a recruit has yet to make a decision but maybe seems to be leaning in a different direction? Seems like an awful lot of emotion considering we all have very limited knowledge right now.

-jk
09-25-2008, 06:24 PM

K has received commitments from two top players in the class of 2010 and may well be closing in on a banner class. Duke still is in the running for Boynton and Kelly. Most of the post-Olympic bump is expected to be in the classes of 2010 and latter.

Jim,

There you go again! Injecting a rational viewpoint backed up with facts. (And thank you for that!)

Folks, we win some recruits. We lose more. We have since Year One of the K era. (OK, we had no time in Y1 and lost 'em all in Y2. But Y3 was a doozy!)

They're 16, 17, 18 (or 20 if you're Tyler) year olds. Not exactly a cohort known for clinically detached analysis. But if you're going to get apoplectic on every rumor, you'll make the gastroenterologists very happy.

-jk

jimsumner
09-25-2008, 06:29 PM
"I have followed recruiting for awhile, I just dont type on this board but about once a month. "

Long enough to remember the angst when Duke lost Shaheen Holloway, the nation's top point guard to a local school? Or Chris Webber? Or Bryant Stith?

Sure, it's frustrating losing recruits but it has happened to Duke ever since the beginning of time and there is no reason to think it's going to stop, Olympic gold medal or not.

And sometimes those can't-miss recruits turn out to be Curtis Hunter, or Jo Jo Buchanan, or Richard Keene, or Willie Dersch, i..e, ordinary college basketball players.

So, you evaluate as best you can, rank your priorities, do the best selling job you can. If you win, you move on. If you lose, you move on.

I have no idea what Kenny Boynton is going to do and I doubt whether anyone not in the Boynton family knows and I'm not even sure about that. But all this reading of bird-entrails stuff is getting a bit tiresome.

FWIW, practically every player that Mike Krzyzewski has signed in the internet era has been preceded by the same kind of hand-wringing. "Why hasn't Singler committed? "Pearl has Elliott Williams locked up," "No way Illinois lets Scheyer leave the state." Et cetera, and so forth.

We sound like chicken little on this board.

kramerbr
09-25-2008, 06:43 PM
"I have followed recruiting for awhile, I just dont type on this board but about once a month. "

Long enough to remember the angst when Duke lost Shaheen Holloway, the nation's top point guard to a local school? Or Chris Webber? Or Bryant Stith?

Sure, it's frustrating losing recruits but it has happened to Duke ever since the beginning of time and there is no reason to think it's going to stop, Olympic gold medal or not.

And sometimes those can't-miss recruits turn out to be Curtis Hunter, or Jo Jo Buchanan, or Richard Keene, or Willie Dersch, i..e, ordinary college basketball players.

So, you evaluate as best you can, rank your priorities, do the best selling job you can. If you win, you move on. If you lose, you move on.

I have no idea what Kenny Boynton is going to do and I doubt whether anyone not in the Boynton family knows and I'm not even sure about that. But all this reading of bird-entrails stuff is getting a bit tiresome.

FWIW, practically every player that Mike Krzyzewski has signed in the internet era has been preceded by the same kind of hand-wringing. "Why hasn't Singler committed? "Pearl has Elliott Williams locked up," "No way Illinois lets Scheyer leave the state." Et cetera, and so forth.

Great post Jim.

I couldn't agree more. Recruits will come and go and Duke will be Duke. It also seems like whenever Duke misses out on someone they have been chasing pretty hard, it works out for the best in the long run.

DevilDan
09-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Once again, Jim gets it right.

I don't mind playing the waiting game, to see who we DO get, then develop an interest in those new DUKE players. The last time I "grieved" was when we did not get Jon Brockman.

OK .... he almost certainly would have developed more skills here than at Washington .... our coaches could have produced a solid 18 & 10 from him night after night .... and a case can be made that with the 6'8" bruiser, the last two seasons might have ended much differently .

BUTTTTTT, AW GAGGGGGGG -- see what I mean ?

It AIN'T worth it. I'm looking at the guys in our stable, and I CAN'T WAIT ! !

Devilsfan
09-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey Kramer alot of Notre Dame football fans took your approach about ten years ago. Is Notre Dame still Notre Dame I think not!

BlueintheFace
09-25-2008, 08:04 PM
ummmm... lets actually wait until we find out what happens.

Boynton still has his Georgia Tech visit. If rescheduling means crossing the school off your list, then wouldn't the georgia tech visit be "rescheduled" before the Duke visit? Think about it...

kramerbr
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey Kramer alot of Notre Dame football fans took your approach about ten years ago. Is Notre Dame still Notre Dame I think not!

Notre Dame hasn't had an anchor in the middle of their program even remotely similar to Coach K for a long time. Lou Holtz was a great coach but after that........

Along with a solid program, you need a solid coach/recruiter.

skitelz
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Take it for what is worth, another poster on ESPN said that Boynton was rescheduling his visits with Florida, maybe that was mentioned and I didnt see it. Like I said take it for what it is worth.

DBFN and Blue have it right. Everybody needs to stop panicking. He really did have a scheduling conflict. He moved Florida up because of this conflict and Duke back. Big deal. It makes sense when you think that its easier to prepare for a visit to in-state Florida than Duke in North Carolina.

GT is in third. At least that's what everybody says. If he was going to reschedule a visit (to drop the school) it would be GT before it would be Duke.

And as someone on TDD pointed out, Kenny has twice pushed the Duke visit date back towards National Signing Day. I choose to look at it in a positive light. Maybe Kenny just wants the school he likes the best to be the last school he visits. Maybe he wants to visit and then sign as soon as possible. Hey, and guess what, we're prolly gonna be the last visit now.

jipops
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM

Duke just hasn't been the same since it lost out to Navy for David Robinson.

chrisheery
09-25-2008, 11:03 PM
that he really just couldn't come at that time? Or maybe, he thinks that he might commit at his official visit to Duke and wants to experience a few more recruiting visits before he goes to the visit that might be his last visit. Who knows? Perhaps there is a family situation that needs to be addressed. Relax. If he never comes, he was never Duke's in the first place. He had made up his mind and there isn't much Duke can do about that.

watzone
09-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Blue Devil Nation is reporting that Kenny and his family have set their official visit to Duke.

http://bluedevilnation.net/

Jumbo
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, I just tried to read through the recent posts, and they are mind-numbing. (Well, some are.)

I simply cannont believe the amount of crazy speculation (and then dramatic conclusions) that have been drawn simply because a kid switched the date of his visit. Furthermore, considering the recent recruiting pickups, it's ludicrous to make sweeping conclusions about Duke's status in either direction based on Boynton's eventual decision.

Look, I understand that some of you worry about this stuff a lot, and I understand that some of you are bored. But think before you post. You don't need to share every single one-sentence worry with the entire world on this board. It's not Facebook. You're not updating your status. Let's continue to strive for thought-out, productive posting, rather than snappy, emotional responses devoid of any information or insight. If we don't put a clamp on this now, the noise level once the season starts is going to be intolerable.

Ultrarunner
09-26-2008, 01:39 PM

But how many ND fans are doing the recruiting?

Last time I checked, we have the most stable coach in America heading up the program, excellent assistants and a steady influx of talent after the drought of 1&done or no-shows.

The team continues to improve as K adapts to the different recruiting culture that developed with the change in NBA rules and has a very promising season ahead where we are a darkhorse for the NC.

I understand that this is the Internet age and everything happens right now but we're dealing with kids that are sixteen years old. You might try a little patience. The internet culture is like speeding through town at 102 mph on a motorcycle. Everything flashes by, there's no time for perspective and any little speedbump looks like disaster.

Breathe. Slowly. In. Out.

It will be okay.

watzone
09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Guys and gals! I have worked my sources and tracked down the actual and I must say, significant recruiting tool used during a recent visit to the Boyntons.

http://hometown.aol.com/wildwesttoys/images/fanner%20dart%20gun.jpg

RainingThrees
09-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Some of you sound like you're giving up on getting Boynton. I also don't understand those who say we're better off without him. Any team in the country is better WITH him.

jimsumner
09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
"I also don't understand those who say we're better off without him. Any team in the country is better WITH him."

Aesop.

Fables.

Fox, sour grapes, etc.

Been around for thousands of years for a reason.

And no, there is no rational reason to think that Duke's chances of landing Boynton are any lower than they were a month ago, six months ago, a year ago.

texas
09-26-2008, 06:13 PM
anyone know what kenny is doing the weekend of oct 17/19 now? there's a nice little football game going on in austin that weekend, missouri at texas, weather should be great. i'm just sayin' :D

gotham devil
09-26-2008, 06:20 PM
anyone know what kenny is doing the weekend of oct 17/19 now? there's a nice little football game going on in austin that weekend, missouri at texas, weather should be great. i'm just sayin' :D

You've snagged Avery Bradley.
There's no reason to get greedy.

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Blue Devil Nation is reporting that Kenny and his family have set their official visit to Duke.

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1065

Good to know he's coming, but I wish it were on a game day. One picky point for you Mark..where did get that picture of him? It's awful. All I can make out is his teeth, at least we know he's smiling. :)

Saratoga2
09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I have cooled it this summer and don't remember posting once. I just don't think there has been enough Duke basketball news to warrant a lot of activity. Coach K deservedly got a lot of kudos for his leadership of the olympic team, but that wasn't really about Duke.

The incredible amount of speculation about Boynton doesn't really provide much in the way of information, with the exception of now knowing he has set a date for a visit. He's a great kid and would be an asset. Let's wait for something real before more wringing of hands.

Jeffrey
10-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I have two general questions for those of you with a lot of Kenny Boynton knowledge:

1. Relatively speaking, how good of a college player do you think Mr. Boynton will be?

2. How long do you think Mr. Boynton will stay in college?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Marty10
10-02-2008, 12:49 PM
He's really good, he can just flat out score. He could easily avergage 15 to 20 ppg wherever he ends up. It is very likely that he will only go to college for one year, maybe 2, but not likely to happen.

COYS
10-02-2008, 01:09 PM
He's really good, he can just flat out score. He could easily avergage 15 to 20 ppg wherever he ends up. It is very likely that he will only go to college for one year, maybe 2, but not likely to happen.

I might also add that whether or not he jumps after one year may also have to do with how well he convinces NBA scouts that he can play point guard in the NBA. He's listed at 6-2 or 6-3 depending where you look (and we know that listings can sometimes be very inaccurate) he'd make a very short NBA shooting guard. If he's going to be a one and done, he's either got to display such insane scoring ability that no NBA GM will care if he ever develops refined point guard skills or he's got to show substantial potential as a point guard. It certainly seems like he's got the skills to be a one and done, though.

Of course, it also depends on the school he chooses, the minutes he sees from day one, and his own dreams. But, as Marvin Williams (ugh) demonstrated a few years ago, you definitely don't have to be a starter at a top school to be picked in the lottery following your freshman year . . . (as a Hawks fan, just thinking of the day we selected Williams at number 2 over both Chris Paul and Deron Williams still makes me sick. But such is life as a Hawks fan :mad:).

concrete
10-04-2008, 04:00 PM
haha, Kenny stays down the street from me. Not the best of places (my area is redeveloped) I'm sure getting out of this area and coming to Duke or Florida will be a breath of fresh air for the young man.

stickdog
10-08-2008, 05:14 AM
It says Boynton's visit is set for November 7-9, not October. I don't think that is new news.

heyman25
10-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Very old news is right. I read this about 2 or 3 weeks ago on another Duke board.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Very old news is right. I read this about 2 or 3 weeks ago on another Duke board.

It was discussed here several weeks ago as well.

ehdg
10-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Heck I believe even Mark mentioned on here that the visit was pushed back so this is nothing new to the members here about Kenny's visit.

SilkyJ
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Heck I believe even Mark mentioned on here that the visit was pushed back so this is nothing new to the members here about Kenny's visit.

Not only here on this board, but here in this very thread, not one page ago! (and about two weeks ago)

http://bluedevilnation.net/

CMS2478
10-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't want to be the guy that starts some false "rumor." BUT I was reading on some other boards that they are hearing that Boynton has decided UF and may announce it at his visit to Florida coming up. I hope someone tells me this is BS, because I was hoping he would at least take his visit to Duke. Again, if this is totally false then I apologize, I am just passing along what I saw on another site. Please feel free to say it ain't so!!! :(

jv001
10-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't want to be the guy that starts some false "rumor." BUT I was reading on some other boards that they are hearing that Boynton has decided UF and may announce it at his visit to Florida coming up. I hope someone tells me this is BS, because I was hoping he would at least take his visit to Duke. Again, if this is totally false then I apologize, I am just passing along what I saw on another site. Please feel free to say it ain't so!!! :(

Well is it is UF then we can thank God for: 1. we will miss him for only 1 year.as he will probably be one and done..2. we have some good recruits coming in and more on the way...3. and best of all he's not going to unc.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
10-09-2008, 05:34 PM
read the bottom of the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3514454

wonder where those rumors came from or if he just made that up.

Bsim412
10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I am wondering wil Ryan Kelly's recent commitment and Mason Plumlee commitment will maybe have an effect on Boynton's decision. I think this could definitley help getting Boynton seeing all the talent Duke has received and could get for the 09 and 10 class.

mgtr
10-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I agree 100%. With the talent we will have, most players would want to play with this team. It looks to have National Championship, perhaps in multiple years, written all over it.

mgtr
10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
OK, we have Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. We also have Kyle Singler and Miles Plumlee. In other words, we have the inside covered. so , Mr. Boynton, doesn't this look good for you? Even if you are a one and done, which we hope not, isn't it better to be with a championship team than with some other team?

Kedsy
10-10-2008, 12:31 AM
I agree 100%. With the talent we will have, most players would want to play with this team. It looks to have National Championship, perhaps in multiple years, written all over it.

National Championship? Multiple years? I think, perhaps, you're getting a little ahead of yourself. We'll be good, with or without Mr. Boynton. Beyond that is pure conjecture, seeing that you seem to be counting on six guys being in the rotation who have yet to play a minute of college ball.

mo.st.dukie
10-10-2008, 01:09 AM
read the bottom of the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3514454

wonder where those rumors came from or if he just made that up.

That article was written on August 1, before the Olympics, before the in-home.

BD80
10-10-2008, 01:42 AM
National Championship? Multiple years? I think, perhaps, you're getting a little ahead of yourself. We'll be good, with or without Mr. Boynton. Beyond that is pure conjecture, seeing that you seem to be counting on six guys being in the rotation who have yet to play a minute of college ball.

Yeah, but Kenny is the kind of talent that can turn a very good team into a great team. The type of team Coach K is putting together will fit Kenny's game perfectly - an up-tempo team with great ball handling skills and a strong inside presence. This is more than adding a great player and thus expecting great things; this is building a championship team with Kenny as a featured piece surrounded by complementary pieces. I hope Kenny can see the plan forming, and understands how much attention (and enjoyment) he would get as the focal point of the offense on such a great team. I think the comparisons to Jason Williams are apt.

mgtr
10-10-2008, 02:58 AM
Folks are helping to make my point. Last year we had great wings and guards, with one great inside player (Singler). Over the next two years, we will have bunches of great inside players (Singler, two Plumlees, Czyz, and Kelly). Add in Smith and Email and we are golden. Now is Boynton is stirred into the mix, we change from gold to platinum. I just don't see a downside on that team. So, Kenny, c'mon down! We would love to have you, you will fit right in.

Kedsy
10-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah, but Kenny is the kind of talent that can turn a very good team into a great team.

You've seen him play? I haven't yet; perhaps that's why the multiple National Championship talk seems a bit pie in the sky to me.

ice-9
10-10-2008, 10:05 AM
First off, I think the team this year is going to be flat out AWESOME. I really think we have a Final Four caliber team. And next year, even if Singler and Henderson leaves early (and no one else), I still think we'll have a very, very good team.

That said a lot of our success over the next two years is still contingent on Zoubek stepping up and/or another player being that inside presence (e.g. MP1). Ryan and Mason are fine post players, but they are more high post vs low post players and aren't currently great rebounders.

With or without Boynton, we'll have top tier guards. With Ryan and Mason, we'll likely have a top tier forwards. But we still don't have a top tier beast in the center -- that's still the team's "missing piece" from being a contender to an all-out favorite like the Heels are this year.

Again, despite that, I think our team over the next two years is going to be scary good and I'm looking forward to us winning lots of games and championships.

Diddy
10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I know that I have beaten this drum before, but I feel that it is time once again to get out the sticks. I do not think we can count on Kyle beyond this year.

K is a great recruiter, Duke is a great place to play, and there are great teammates in place, but I really fail to see how anyone could convice so many players to come when all said players play the same position.

Next year, Ryan, Mason, Miles, Lance and Olek will all play the same position as Kyle. Admittedly, some or all of them could play the majority of their minutes at the 5, but that discounts Zoubek. If Kyle were to return, at least 2 out of the 5 players I mentioned won't play any significant minutes.

Based on Kelly's commitment, especially given that he had other scenarios where more minutes were readily availible, it would not shock me if K is operating on the assumption (or worse) that Kyle is going pro this year. I have no proof, but Kelly's commitment would seem to be a nail in coffin of Kyle comming back.

Ignatius07
10-10-2008, 12:42 PM
I thought the same thing when K extended an offer to Kelly. While I expect Mason to play at least some (and possibly a lot) at the 5, it might seem like a hard sell to get Kelly to come here if he'll be amongst Singler, Zoubek, Thomas, MP1, MP2, and Czyz. Then again, he's probably more talented than anyone on that list other than Singler (who would be even more likely to leave after 09-10 if not 08-09), so who knows.

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 12:46 PM
"Next year, Ryan, Mason, Miles, Lance and Olek will all play the same position as Kyle. Admittedly, some or all of them could play the majority of their minutes at the 5, but that discounts Zoubek."

Well, unless Zoubek plays 40 mpg, then I think we can safely assume that some of these guys will play some 5. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Singler, maybe others play some 3, especially if Henderson goes pro.

I'm pretty sure that neither Henderson nor Singler has made any decision to go to the NBA after this season and that such a decision, should it come, will not be made until the spring. Both have indicated that they intend to be at Duke for four years and I'll take that as a default until and unless I hear otherwise.

Others have said that and changed their minds and I'm sure it will happen again. Krzyzewski, like any other good coach is stocking talent to guard against such circumstances. Sounds like a plan to me.

Sure, it's a delicate balancing act and sometimes you guess wrong, life intrudes, and you end up with a 6'4" football wide receiver playing power forward. So, I have no problem with K bringing in lots of players. Because I think Reggie has finally used up his eligibility.

Bsim412
10-10-2008, 12:48 PM
I think Kyle and Henderson will both stay

Ignatius07
10-10-2008, 12:50 PM

OK. But I think it depends a lot on the type of season each has.

mgtr
10-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Next year, Ryan, Mason, Miles, Lance and Olek will all play the same position as Kyle. Admittedly, some or all of them could play the majority of their minutes at the 5, but that discounts Zoubek. If Kyle were to return, at least 2 out of the 5 players I mentioned won't play any significant minutes.

Why couldn't we play three bigs at the same time? If Kyle stays and Hendo leaves, that would be a natural thing to do. I am not enough of a Duke historian to know when (or even if) K has done this, I am betting he will tailor the style of game to the horses he has (as long as the horses can run and play defense).
Ideally, both Kyle and Hendo stay and K gets to solve the problems. Note that he did it with a 12 man team in the Olympics.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Kyle may go pro next year, and if he's had the type of season to make him a guaranteed lottery pick good for him and very good for Duke.

That said, I'm not at all concerned about minutes. For next year we have:

C - Sr Zoubek, So Plumlee
PF - Jr Singler, Fr Kelly, Fr Plumlee
Sf - Sr Scheyer, Sr Thomas, So Czyz
Sg - So Williams, Sr Pocius
PG - Jr Smith, Fr Boynton??

Obviously we can quibble about who fits where on my depth chart (and it's waaay too soon to start debating who will star, play X minutes, etc.), but we're going to be 2-3 deep at every position with versatile players all across the lineup. The great thing about players like Kelly, Olek, the Plumlees, and Lance it that they are versatile enough to slide in at 2-3 different positions based on matchups, team need, and how they develop.

If there is a spot to look at it's at the guard position. K has clearly left a spot open for Kenny, who can step into a loaded team and fill a specific role as our first guy off the bench at the 1 and 2 slot (unless he really come ready and takes a starting spot, which is possible as well). Without Kenny, we'd be very glad to have all these versatile forwards. With Kenny, we're loaded with 5 star guys at every position and probably a favorite for the national championship. Come to Duke, Kenny! Play on tv every game, learn from the gold standard in coaching, and help guide us to another title!

quickgtp
10-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I think you get off course when you "label" a Duke team as a traditional set up of PG, SG, SF, PF, C. We will have many interchangable parts that could include a small line-up of:

G Smith
G Williams
G Scheyer
G/F Henderson
F Singler

OR a big line-up of:

G Smith
G/F Henderson
F Thomas
F Singler
C Zoubek

Depending on how Thomas does on the wing you could sub in Mason or Kelly, and Olek and Miles could cover the 4/5 slot. I did not include Boynton because I feel we will not land him. This isn't a prediction, just the way I feel after searching different sites!

Huh?
10-10-2008, 02:52 PM

No way that happens.

du_bb1
10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
So, I have no problem with K bringing in lots of players. Because I think Reggie has finally used up his eligibility.[/QUOTE]

Actually Jim, I think he may have one semetser remaining..........if we can get him away from Obama........!!

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
"I think Kyle and Henderson will both stay."

"No way that happens. "

With all due respect, you're both just guessing. I really hope we don't do this all season long but I fear I'll be disappointed.

Over the years, K has been pretty flexible with his line-ups. Three bigs, two bigs, one big, no bigs, three guards, two guards, one guard. Whatever works best.

Selected starting front lines.

1984, 85.
Jay Bilas
Dan Meagher
Mark Alarie

1993, 1994

Cherokee Parks
Tony Lang
Grant Hill

Parts of 1998
Elton Brand
Roshown McLeod
Shane Battier

2000, 2001

Carlos Boozer
Shane Battier
Mike Dunleavy

Part of 2004
Shelden Williams
Shavlik Randolph
Luol Dent

Note that G. Hill, Alarie, Battier, Dunleavy, and Deng all played the 3 and the 4 at various times at Duke. Hill also played the 1, the 2, took tickets, and sold pop-corn.

John Smith is another example of a Duke player who started out as a post but moved outside as he developed perimeter skills. His perimeter skills as a sophomore were no better than those of Lance as a sophomore. In 1988 Smith did not take a single three-point shot. The following season, his senior year, he was 25-53 on threes. So, people can expand their skills. Don't assume that Singler, Thomas, Czyz, or Kelly can't play the 3 somewhere down the Duke line.

El_Diablo
10-10-2008, 03:30 PM

The key phrase is "next year." If Kelly doesn't get huge minutes as a freshman, then I think it'll be okay. Two of those names will be gone in 2010, so his minutes will likely go up during his sophomore year.

A one-year logjam is not a big deal if Singler returns...who knows how each one of these players will pan out talent-wise? Who knows how injuries will affect the team? Depth is much better than a lack of depth. Let's just be happy that we have quality forwards, and let K worry about doling out the PT. :)

devildeac
10-10-2008, 04:40 PM
"Next year, Ryan, Mason, Miles, Lance and Olek will all play the same position as Kyle. Admittedly, some or all of them could play the majority of their minutes at the 5, but that discounts Zoubek."

Well, unless Zoubek plays 40 mpg, then I think we can safely assume that some of these guys will play some 5. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Singler, maybe others play some 3, especially if Henderson goes pro.

I'm pretty sure that neither Henderson nor Singler has made any decision to go to the NBA after this season and that such a decision, should it come, will not be made until the spring. Both have indicated that they intend to be at Duke for four years and I'll take that as a default until and unless I hear otherwise.

Others have said that and changed their minds and I'm sure it will happen again. Krzyzewski, like any other good coach is stocking talent to guard against such circumstances. Sounds like a plan to me.

Sure, it's a delicate balancing act and sometimes you guess wrong, life intrudes, and you end up with a 6'4" football wide receiver playing power forward. So, I have no problem with K bringing in lots of players. Because I think Reggie has finally used up his eligibility.

But, if we have some numbers problems, won't Asack have some eligibility left after next year? I would think at 6'4" or 6'5" that he's big enough to play the SG or SF position...:rolleyes:

blazindw
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I know it's hard, but please keep the comments in this thread to dealing with the recruitment of Kenny Boynton. All other stuff about possible lineup and player positions needs to be in those relevant threads that are existing on the board. There's too much clutter for those people who are trying to get more information and thoughts on the possibility of Boynton donning a Duke uniform. Thanks.

gotham devil
10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
If there is a spot to look at it's at the guard position. K has clearly left a spot open for Kenny, who can step into a loaded team and fill a specific role as our first guy off the bench at the 1 and 2 slot (unless he really come ready and takes a starting spot, which is possible as well). Without Kenny, we'd be very glad to have all these versatile forwards. With Kenny, we're loaded with 5 star guys at every position and probably a favorite for the national championship. Come to Duke, Kenny! Play on tv every game, learn from the gold standard in coaching, and help guide us to another title!
Perhaps you haven't seen him play, but Kenny Boynton isn't coming off of the bench for anyone in college. He, Xavier Henry, and Lance Stephenson are the dominant scorers in this class. There's a reason why Coach Krzyzewski and the staff haven't offered anyone else in his class at his position since his sophomore year ended and have made the comparisons to former Duke all-American Jason Williams.

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I understand that KB is a significant talent and he probably would start anywhere as a freshman, including Duke. Still, Duke might well have a perimeter rotation which includes a senior Henderson, a senior Scheyer, a junior Smith, and a sophomore Williams. So people who seem him having to fight for PT aren't just making stuff up.

That would be an embarassment of riches, now wouldn't it?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Perhaps you haven't seen him play, but Kenny Boynton isn't coming off of the bench for anyone in college. He, Xavier Henry, and Lance Stephenson are the dominant scorers in this class. There's a reason why Coach Krzyzewski and the staff haven't offered anyone else in his class at his position since his sophomore year ended and have made the comparisons to former Duke all-American Jason Williams.

I think there are a lot of problems with my ham-fisted depth chart (I certainly went back and forth with where to put Jon). That said, who are you going to sit for a 6'2 freshman combo guard? Smith will be a Jr and (hopefully) will have some good experience as our on-court leader. Email's also a 5 star recruit and will have a year under his belt so he won't give up his spot easily, especially to a guy that is 2-3 inches shorter. I also think there's a good chance that Jon will be starting at the SG, esp if we have Gerald back at the SF. At least in the early part of the season, it's hard for me to imagine any freshman taking a spot from those three.

By the end of the year he very well may have broken into the starting lineup, but just about every frosh struggles early on, especially with "Duke level" defense (I still remember JWill's first two games as a frosh and shudder). If there is any guy who could come in and start from day 1 it's Kenny, but my expectation is he'll play 20-25 minutes a night as the first guy off the bench and then challenge for NPOY his Soph season (as JWill would have been if Avery had done the smart thing). Hope we get a chance to find out.:)

BD80
10-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I understand that KB is a significant talent and he probably would start anywhere as a freshman, including Duke. Still, Duke might well have a perimeter rotation which includes a senior Henderson, a senior Scheyer, a junior Smith, and a sophomore Williams. So people who seem him having to fight for PT aren't just making stuff up.

That would be an embarrassment of riches, now wouldn't it?

I wouldn't be embarrassed at all :D

Boynton and Gerald on the court at the same time - that is almost unfair. Almost.

Obviously, we would be playing a three guard line-up most of the time. Can you imagine the speed and quickness of the game with any three of those players in the game? Think of the defensive pressure! We would easily average 90+ ppg.

The biggest advantage would be the caliber of competition in practice. That is what would make all of the players better, not the 30+ games that are only 40 minutes long, but the hundreds of 2-3 hour practices against the best competition available at the college level. I would pay to watch a practice where Gerald and Nolan were matched against EMail and Boynton!

OK, maybe that is a bit embarrassing :cool:

mgtr
10-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I think there are a lot of problems with my ham-fisted depth chart (I certainly went back and forth with where to put Jon). That said, who are you going to sit for a 6'2 freshman combo guard? Smith will be a Jr and (hopefully) will have some good experience as our on-court leader. Email's also a 5 star recruit and will have a year under his belt so he won't give up his spot easily, especially to a guy that is 2-3 inches shorter. I also think there's a good chance that Jon will be starting at the SG, esp if we have Gerald back at the SF. At least in the early part of the season, it's hard for me to imagine any freshman taking a spot from those three.

By the end of the year he very well may have broken into the starting lineup, but just about every frosh struggles early on, especially with "Duke level" defense (I still remember JWill's first two games as a frosh and shudder). If there is any guy who could come in and start from day 1 it's Kenny, but my expectation is he'll play 20-25 minutes a night as the first guy off the bench and then challenge for NPOY his Soph season (as JWill would have been if Avery had done the smart thing). Hope we get a chance to find out.:)

Unfortunately, this post sounds to me like a wonderful argument for KB to go elsewhere. I hope that is not the case. Right out of the box, I would say that KB has just as much chance to play as any other player. I don't have a clue who he might beat out, but he has a shot to do it. For example, who would have taken the bet last year that Jon Scheyer wouldn't start? Anything is possible. I believe that Coach K will play the five best players, at least over the course of the game. As the old saw goes, it is not who starts, but who finishes.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-10-2008, 09:38 PM
As the old saw goes, it is not who starts, but who finishes.

That was what I was trying to say. Kenny is a great fit for Duke because he is about W's, not individual glory. He will get minutes and put up numbers all season long; with his talent there's no questions about that. We'll have a great PG and 2 great SG's. With his versatility Kenny would be a great weapon to have coming in for either position (based on matchups, performance, etc) and finishing games out. Frosh rarely start from day 1 (although, as I said, Kenny is exactly the type of player that could be the exception) but by the end of the season he will be an invaluable asset for the team. Whether he's on court for the jump ball is, IMO, beside the point.

Houston
10-11-2008, 09:51 AM
That was what I was trying to say. Kenny is a great fit for Duke because he is about W's, not individual glory. He will get minutes and put up numbers all season long; with his talent there's no questions about that. We'll have a great PG and 2 great SG's. With his versatility Kenny would be a great weapon to have coming in for either position (based on matchups, performance, etc) and finishing games out. Frosh rarely start from day 1 (although, as I said, Kenny is exactly the type of player that could be the exception) but by the end of the season he will be an invaluable asset for the team. Whether he's on court for the jump ball is, IMO, beside the point.

If Kenny comes to Duke (and please come to Durham), he will start and finish games from day one. Kenny is a special talent. Over the past ten years a freshman/freshmen will start more often than not.

Diddy
10-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I haven't heard anyone say that KB's decision is immenent. KB may wait until the end of the year to announce. From his standpoint, that would be a wise decision.

For example, suppose Duke has a good year, and Henderson were to head to the league. That would leave Smith, Williams, and Scheyer as KB's main comp for minutes. That is not ideal if KB is looking for max minutes and shots. But it is much better than if Hendo returns. Also, he may want a quality Guard to be in place to help with ball handling, defense, etc.

Similarly, at Florida, should Calathes return, it might mean competition for KB. Should Calathes leave, it might mean that KB would be the man at FL from day one. It might also mean that KB would have no other quality guards to play off or with.

He should wait until the end of the season, once he knows what players' intentions are. Then he can make a decision based on the personell who he knows will be in place.

jimsumner
10-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I've heard nothing that even remotely suggests that Boynton will wait until spring to decide.

Maybe he should. Or maybe not. He could always commit but wait until spring to actually sign. But I strongly suspect we're in moot court here.

gotham devil
10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I've heard nothing that even remotely suggests that Boynton will wait until spring to decide.

Maybe he should. Or maybe not. He could always commit but wait until spring to actually sign. But I strongly suspect we're in moot court here.
At this point, I just hope he shows up for his scheduled visit on 11/7.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/columns/story?columnist=williams_antonio&id=3635981

As for Boynton, Antonio Williams weighs in.

texas
10-14-2008, 05:12 PM
hearing that kenny will visit austin weekend of 11/1. our football team will be out of town (at Texas Tech) but he'll be there during halloween which is a crazy weekend to be in austin. i would love for him to choose texas or duke and not florida.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd also much rather see him at Texas than Florida. Rick Barnes still has a lot of friends around here for driving Deano crazy at Clemson. :D

BD80
10-14-2008, 06:24 PM
At this point, I just hope he shows up for his scheduled visit on 11/7.

It seems we have dodged a significant bullet in Kenny's recruitment. A big concern is that he would suddenly commit to Florida, and I understand that he spent last weekend at Gainesville and watched the Gators demolish #4 LSU.

That must have been a very exciting weekend in Gainesville, and if Kenny were to be convinced to end his recruitment early, that would have been the time.

Since I have not heard that he has ended his recruitment, it appears that he will make his visit to Duke. He will get to play with many of the players Duke will have next year - and it wouldn't surprise me if Mason and Ryan showed up that weekend as well.

Kenny and his family will get to see the new center for ACADEMIC and athletic excellence. And we can flaunt our recent academic success in graduating players.

Once we will get Kenny and his family onto the campus, I like our chances with Coach K making the pitch: showing Kenny where he would fit in the overall scheme, a scheme that seems to be coming together beautifully.

Kenny seems to have resisted the temptation to immediately commit to a good school, with a good basketball team, and gorgeous females and great partying close to home and his high school friends. He is at least willing to look at the chance to be a part of something truly special, a great tradition at a great school. KB has elevated even more in my estimation. He does sound like the kind of young man who could be a superstar and still be one of the guys.

I think I'll pull out me lucky charms! Come to Duke Kenny!

Gunnar Kaufman
10-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Tune in. Or don't.

roywhite
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Tune in. Or don't.

Doesn't sound like good news for our side.

Lord Ash
10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Hm... didn't even make the last Duke trip?

Oh well.

CMS2478
10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Doesn't sound like good news for our side.

Yeah, the staff may have already knew and that is why I am hearing all this talk about Duke starting to recruit John Wall again. :(

DevilCastDownfromDurham
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Hm... didn't even make the last Duke trip?

Oh well.

This is the part I'm flabbergasted about. If a guy chooses his hometown school, I totally respect that, especially with a program that has the recent success of Florida. But to not even take a visit? I can't imagine making such a big decision without at least gathering all the information available.

Anyway, good luck to Kenny wherever he ends out. He's a very special talent and I know he'll be successful and help his team to great things.

BD80
10-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Donovan was smart to get KB to commit before allowing his family visit Duke and its facilities. Sounds like Kenny just wants to have a fun year while preparing for the NBA. Guess I can't blame a teenage boy for making that decision. Shame though, he could have been a part of something special here next year.

How's this for optimism: Maybe Kenny heard that Gerald has decided to stay next year no matter what, so he was worried about PT. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to Kenny and his family, they sound like nice people. I hope Kenny is a top 10 pick in the 2010 draft. But I also hope EMail shuts Kenny down in the Regional Finals next season as Duke advances toward its second straight National Championship!

This does open up PT for Marty as a 5th year senior, and Ryan and Mason can play the "3," so we have options.

watzone
10-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Donovan was smart to get KB to commit before allowing his family visit Duke and its facilities. Sounds like Kenny just wants to have a fun year while preparing for the NBA. Guess I can't blame a teenage boy for making that decision. Shame though, he could have been a part of something special here next year.

How's this for optimism: Maybe Kenny heard that Gerald has decided to stay next year no matter what, so he was worried about PT. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to Kenny and his family, they sound like nice people. I hope Kenny is a top 10 pick in the 2010 draft. But I also hope EMail shuts Kenny down in the Regional Finals next season as Duke advances toward its second straight National Championship!

This does open up PT for Marty as a 5th year senior, and Ryan and Mason can play the "3," so we have options.

So, it's a done deal?

SupaDave
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
So, it's a done deal?

I'm hoping not but the signs don't appear to be good. Kenny's been to Duke a number of times and he's familiar so I don't know if an official visit is necessary. K already made his presentation.

Kelly committed without an official visit so let's hope it's more of that...

BlueintheFace
10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
So, it's a done deal?

You tell us...

trinity92
10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
So, it's a done deal?

Surely you're not suggesting . . .

(and I promise not to call you Shirley ever again)

BD80
10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
So, it's a done deal?

I would certainly defer to you on that call.

However, for the kid to suddenly announce after a weekend at Florida, a week before his official visit to Duke where his parents could see the Coach K center for Academic excellence, doesn't bode well. Particularly when Kenny's mom noted after the in-home that Duke needed to "bring it" at the official visit.

I won't forgo hope, but I was hoping to forestall the sky-is-falling reaction.

So what is the situation Wat?

Bluedog
10-30-2008, 12:11 PM
According to his facebook status, he's going to Tallahassee tomorrow. I guess that means he's committing to FSU! ;)

BlueintheFace
10-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Watzone, don't you toy with us!!!

BD80
10-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Watzone, don't you toy with us!!!

Mark provides us with great info, so allow him his foibles. If you want the info as soon as he can release it, join his premium site. If this is bad news, he should probably be able to release the info as to Duke now (still allowing Kenny to have his "moment" on ESPNU as to his choice amongst the other contenders). These little "teases" allow his premium members know they are getting info before the free boards.

I imagine Wat will still give us some indication prior to the actual announcement.

Has the ESPNU announcement today been confirmed?

gotham devil
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Mark provides us with great info, so allow him his foibles. If you want the info as soon as he can release it, join his premium site. If this is bad news, he should probably be able to release the info as to Duke now (still allowing Kenny to have his "moment" on ESPNU as to his choice amongst the other contenders). These little "teases" allow his premium members know they are getting info before the free boards.

I imagine Wat will still give us some indication prior to the actual announcement.

Yes.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/onthetrail?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2fonthetrail

Lord Ash
10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Hm, and heading to Florida tomorrow? Daman.

Can anyone share what our options are post-Boynton?

What a shame.

Faison1
10-30-2008, 01:11 PM

What a shame.

I wouldn't get too upset about it. Kenny definitely would have been a great addition, but I think we are pretty stacked at the guard position. Hopefully a junior Nolan will be as good if not better than a frosh Kenny.

In terms of other options, I would have to believe that we will be in better position to pick up Knight since Kenny is out of the picture (if indeed it is true that he picks UF tonight).

Again, Watzone is probably chomping at the bit, since I know nothing. But my message is meant to say, don't worry about it too much. The future is looking good if you ask me.

Bluedog
10-30-2008, 01:22 PM

What a shame.

Well, Brandon Knight is certainly very possible, although I realize that's a year later. I would guess that we'd be offering John Wall now, assuming he is up to Duke's academic and maturity standards. I know he is studying for the SAT, according to one article (i.e. I'd imagine that means he's not way above the NCAA minimum).

http://theshiver.com/2008/10/john-wall-preparing-for-the-sats-and-visits/

"Duke has been calling my coaches and sending me letters. They are trying to get in there and I am looking at them a little,” commented Wall.

Wall also added that Duke may be in line for an unofficial visit if the interest is still there in the coming months.

He's obviously a top recruit - rated as the #1 PG on scout. And we already have Thornton in the truck for 2010. But we should also wait until Boynton officially announces.

BlueintheFace
10-30-2008, 01:27 PM

Obviously my statement was half in jest- I never expect any premium information on this board. That doesn't stop me from digging though... Watzone is allowed to tease us and I am allowed to point out his cruelty. Calm yourself.

Diddy
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Getting him would be great, probablly.

But, as I said earlier, I am not sure that he is a definite starter next year.

Next year, I see him having a hard time unseating E-Will, Nolan, and Scheyer on the perimeter. And that assumes Hendo leaves. Should Hendo return, Boynton might not even be the first GUARD off the bench.

Nolan will be a junior, with a year of heavy minutes at the PG slot. Reportedly, his strongest ability is on D, where he can bring the pressure. And a year at the helm, and another summer in the gym, will really hone his O skills.

Jon is a stone-cold lock to start next year, barring melt-down or catastrophic injury. He will be a Sr with tons of experience, intelligence, and skill.

E-Will is probably the person KB would have the best chance to beat out. But again, E-Will will play solid minutes at guard this year. He is great on D, which K loves.

This says nothing of Marty, who could also be serious comp for minutes.

If Hendo returned, forget about it. KB is a side kick as a frosh who would be darn lucky to get 15+ minutes per game.

KB's strength is on O. Which is great. But at Duke, D gets you on the court. There will be three good to great defenders on the perimeter when he arrives. Beating out one of them seems unlikely.

Also, should Singler return next year, our front court rotation would allow either he or Kelly to play some three. Heck, such a rotation might necessitate Kelly or Singler playing some three. [As an aside, imagine the night mare opposing coaches will have of a front court featuring Singler, Kelly, and one of the Plumlees on court at the same time.]

The sad reality is, we don't need Boynton, even if Hendo AND Singler leave. We could use him, sure. But we would be OK. Heck, we would probably be no worse than the Third best team in the conference. We would be a dangerous team come March. Sure, he would put us over the top and make us a favorite for the FF. But we would be a FF threat come March regardless

KB will have to fight for minutes and shots at Duke, and play D or else.

Not so at Florida. UF has a great guard in Nick Calathes (who is at least an even shot to go pro this year) and a bunch of no name side kicks. If Calathes guaranteed that he was a pro after this year, Florida becomes the best chance for KB to make a huge 1 year splash. Even with Calathes, KB starts immediately and plays and shoots a lot. He can play D or not. Billy won't have another option. If he truly wants to be a one-and-done, so be it. Florida is the right choice.

But we can forget about beating them to go to the final four. They won't get that far.

Billy D lucked into 3 players who ended up being a lot better than anyone thought (The Tim Duncan Theory). Two of them were so rich that they could put off the pros for a year, while the third was one of the once in a generation players who realized he needed one more year to hone his game (actually it was just to raise his theretofore non-existant profile) for the draft.

With KB and Calathes, and their front court, Billy D MIGHT have the goods to make a deep March run.

But for KB to announce right after his FL visit, without comming to Duke, I have to believe he has some assurance that his primary backcourt comp, Calathes, has guaranteed his own early entry. Without Calathes, FL is a Sweet sixteen team tops. Boynton is good, but he is not that good.

Kedsy
10-30-2008, 01:57 PM
The sad reality is, we don't need Boynton, even if Hendo AND Singler leave. We could use him, sure. But we would be OK. Heck, we would probably be no worse than the Third best team in the conference. We would be a dangerous team come March. Sure, he would put us over the top and make us a favorite for the FF. But we would be a FF threat come March regardless

I agree with this post, other than the characterization of our team being so good we won't need Boynton as "sad." I think it's pretty happy, actually. Especially in light of recent developments that suggest KB to Duke is a long shot.

Yes, it would be great if he came to Duke, but assuming the recruiting ratings are accurate and stay accurate (and I know this is quite an assumption) is the #8 freshman in the country any better than the #16 sophomore (E Williams)? If we don't get KB it means more minutes for E-Mail and Nolan. It'd be nice to have all three, but other than depth and injury insurance would the team be significantly worse with EW and NS than with KB and NS, or KB and EW? I say no. (For the purposes of the previous sentence I'm assuming G leaves and a senior Scheyer plays the most wing minutes whether KB comes to Duke or not.) And, as Diddy said, if G comes back for his senior year, we'll be loaded with wing players whether Boynton is here or not.

Which is a long-winded way to say the sky is NOT falling. Let's go Duke.

BD80
10-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Obviously my statement was half in jest- I never expect any premium information on this board. That doesn't stop me from digging though... Watzone is allowed to tease us and I am allowed to point out his cruelty. Calm yourself.

CALM MYSELF???? WHEN WE ARE ABOUT TO LOSE THE NEXT JASON WILLIAMS????

Sorry. Had to vent a bit.

I do think Mark enjoys us begging and cajoling. It seems so anyway. If nothing else, it serves as a plug for his premium board (I guessed it was just a jest).

Losing Kenny is big, we need players like that for a NC. But we can still win a NC without him.

-bdbd
10-30-2008, 02:15 PM
As Watzone points out KB HAS NOT MADE HIS ANNOUNCEMENT YET. We all know that he already has been to Duke on at least a couple unofficials. So don't be giving up the ship quite yet. You gotta have faith! :D

Feel the vibe Kenny.....Duuuuuke!

-BDBD

watzone
10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Duke has plenty of options at the point without signing anyone in the class of 2009. Wall will get a look, but it's a longshot to think we get him. Brandon Knight is next in line and he's 2010. Things can change, but this is the way it is for now. Some of us (me) will move on when and if KB chooses UF tonight. Others will want to talk it out ... some will freak out. I will write about it one time tonight or tomorrow and put it to bed. Oh, and we do have a true PG in 2010 in Tyler Thornton, not to mention that Nolan Smith seems quite adept at the position and Elliot ran the point in the last five minutes of the Virginia Union game.

Skitzle
10-30-2008, 02:24 PM
I do think Mark enjoys us begging and cajoling. It seems so anyway. If nothing else, it serves as a plug for his premium board (I guessed it was just a jest).

I think you're assuming that Watzone has inside information in this case. He does an amazing job of keeping us posted when he knows things, and its always appreciated when he shares information, especially as it's not always in the best interest of his site.

From all of his comments, it looks like KB's decision to announce today took him by surprise the same way it did all of us. The one thing he did say is "If the announcement is official then its most likely bad news."

We've confirmed the announcement is official. So looks like KB is a Gator.

The biggest loss we take is in our depth at the guard position, assuming this is Henderson's final year.

If we also lose Singler, we're going to need some INCREDIBLE play from MP1/MP2/Kelly/Zoubek to have a shot at the title in 2010. If we don't lose Singler, I like our chances.

Regardless of Singler's decision, 2009-2010 will be Duke's year of the swing forward. With only 3 guards (I really don't see Pocius being a significant contributor ever). We'll probably see a 2 guard 3 big/swingman line up more often than a 3 guard 2 big/swingman.

Suffice it to say I'm excited for 2009-2010 season regardless of what Singler/Henderson choose to do. It'll be a fun team to watch.

ANNNNND all that said. I'm even more excited about 2008-2009, because it started and I can't wait to watch our first real game.

-Skitz

watzone
10-30-2008, 02:24 PM

Sorry. Had to vent a bit.

Losing Kenny is big, we need players like that for a NC. But we can still win a NC without him.

How did I tease you? I said is it a done deal yet? Until there is a link or something from KB's mouth it's not done. That's not to say it isn't easy to speculate that an announcement shortly after a Florida visit without coming to Duke for an official isn't a good sign.

watzone
10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
I think you're assuming that Watzone has inside information in this case. He does an amazing job of keeping us posted when he knows things, and its always appreciated when he shares information, especially as it's not always in the best interest of his site.

From all of his comments, it looks like KB's decision to announce today took him by surprise the same way it did all of us. The one thing he did say is "If the announcement is official then its most likely bad news."

We've confirmed the announcement is official. So looks like KB is a Gator.

The biggest loss we take is in our depth at the guard position, assuming this is Henderson's final year.

If we also lose Singler, we're going to need some INCREDIBLE play from MP1/MP2/Kelly/Zoubek to have a shot at the title in 2010. If we don't lose Singler, I like our chances.

Regardless of Singler's decision, 2009-2010 will be Duke's year of the swing forward. With only 3 guards (I really don't see Pocius being a significant contributor ever). We'll probably see a 2 guard 3 big/swingman line up more often than a 3 guard 2 big/swingman.

Suffice it to say I'm excited for 2009-2010 season regardless of what Singler/Henderson choose to do. It'll be a fun team to watch.

ANNNNND all that said. I'm even more excited about 2008-2009, because it started and I can't wait to watch our first real game.

-Skitz

I'm close to yelling "bingo." It was new news for me as of this morning, but didn't surprise me. As of last evening KB was to come to Duke for his official visit and that came from those close to the situation. I now assume the worst, but I guess there is an outside chance he could still pick Duke.

JG2111
10-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Rivals just said he is announcing tonight and will probably pick Florida

loran16
10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Sigh. So unless something changes, it should be an interesting forward dominated team next year. :-/

His loss.

mgtr
10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I hope that Hendo is so good this year that it would be reasonable for him to consider the NBA, but I haven't seen anything like that yet. My bet, based only on what I see is that he doesn't leave, regardless how good his year is. This may just be optimism on my part, however.

Diddy
10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Some have said he will be our next guy, but will he?

He is an elite talent, but we don't necessarily need him. He is a close friend and teammate (AAU) with Kelly, so that might help.

Do we even need someone for next year?

Also, this can't really be a shock. Many national pundits have been giving Florida a comfortable lead for months.

ps When I said sad reality I meant it from KB's perspective. Also from our prespective, but in a general, oveall sadness that we will not be able to lock up an elite player, further padding our talent level.

MADevil30
10-30-2008, 03:17 PM

Williams was a three year player who was most successful (personally) in his junior season. Seems like a though compairison when most of what we've heard makes it look like Kenny is a potential one-and-done.

SMO
10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Sigh. So unless something changes, it should be an interesting forward dominated team next year. :-/

His loss.

Well, we'll still likely have Scheyer, Smith, Williams, and Pocius. There's a lot of experience there. One more body would be nice though.

Skitzle
10-30-2008, 03:23 PM

His loss.

I think you mean "It should be an interesting forward dominated team next year. :-)"

ACCBBallFan
10-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Well, we'll still likely have Scheyer, Smith, Williams, and Pocius. There's a lot of experience there. One more body would be nice though.
Could see a much taller guy playing the 3 next year unless Duke brings in another guard. So back to a two guard alignment. Neither system is inherently better than the other, just play with what you got, which at this point appears to be lots of forwards next year depending on what G and Kyle do.

TwoDukeTattoos
10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
A few minutes ago ESPNU had the UF logo associated with Boynton's story. When I check the site now, I see that it has been removed. Looks like someone oops'd and posted the UF logo too soon. I think we have our answer confirmed.

Duke09
10-30-2008, 03:57 PM
assuming kyle is back and kelly as advertised, nolan, scheyer, singler, kelly, MP1 is a very good line up

Devilsfan
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
It's never good when you lose your #1 recruit. Maybe Wall will close to his family.

BlueintheFace
10-30-2008, 04:05 PM
I feel very uncomfortable when I hear that we are going after John Wall. I heard that he had some baggage and went looking for some information. Here are a few things that I have heard:

1) He was kicked off his previous basketball team by the coach for having a bad attitude and hurting the team. (seems hard to hurt your team with your attitude when you are the best pg in the country)

2) He gets very down on his teammates when they mess up or drop his and1 style passes

3) He is rumored to have some gang involvement. He has three cuts in one of his eyebrows... not good

4) Then there is the issue with Wall having a number of "handlers." I am reminded of another one and done player called OJ Mayo...

I don't really feel right about this kid, but I suppose we have to trust K. He always steers us right.

TwoDukeTattoos
10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
IMHO, Wall has never seemed to fit the Coach K mold in regards to character.

Tim1515
10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
First off there is no confirmation that Duke is seriously going after Wall...no offer anyway.

But don't forget that Wall played with Kelly recently. I'm sure the staff is talking to Ryan quite a bit to see what he thinks of John Wall.

There are extremely nice quotes from Wall about Kelly also...assuming the negative things about him are true...there's a good chance he grew up and knows his best shot to the nba is cleaning up his act...and maybe his mother's situation has him re-thinking his values.

Turtleboy
10-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I feel very uncomfortable when I hear that we are going after John Wall. Have you heard from anyone in a position to know that we are going after Wall?

concrete
10-30-2008, 05:29 PM
He has three cuts in one of his eyebrows... not good

are you John McCain or something? lol.

"i heard Kyle Singler shaved his head must be associated with a gang"

mgtr
10-30-2008, 05:31 PM
If half the stuff on this board about Wall is true, I wouldn't think K would go near him. I agree that it is fortunate that we have an inside source.

Wakeboard06
10-30-2008, 06:38 PM
its official, hes a gator

mgtr
10-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Ah, the old double posting trick. Next, the shoe phone!

texas
10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
bummer. i thought he was due in austin texas today for his official visit. i was hoping he'd go texas or duke. good luck to the young man.

quickgtp
10-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Yep he's a Gator. I wish him luck but I still do not get the fact that he didn't even take the official visit to Duke. Kenny, IMO, is just looking for a one year stop. He probably knew he wouldn't get the opportunity to do that at Duke. All in all, I hate to miss out on a kid with that talent, but hey, let's continue building around the solid core we have!

mgtr
10-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I know nothing about Kenny Boynton other than what I have read on this board. All in all, he seems to be a good kid (but, still a kid). He might have been a good fit for Duke, or not. What we don't need is a young man who is more interrested in his career than the Duke team. As I recall, we had such a fellow for two years recently, and it didn't work out all that well for any of the concerned parties.
If a young man comes to Duke and after one year has improved so much that he thinks he is ready for the NBA (Luol Deng comes to mind), that is one thing. But if a player's entire interest in a college "career" is in increasing his net present value, then I would say pass.
There probably aren't whole lot of college coaches who would share this view.

fogey
10-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm sure KB is a great talent, and while our staff must hate to lose him after investing heavily in his recruitment, they also have to have some mixed feelings about a true "one and done" coming to DU. Seems to me there is unavoidable conflict between his need to audition for the NBA and the team's need to harness that talent and integrate him into our unselfish system. Learning curve is not instant (check with Olek) and our three and four year players could find his temporary presence distracting or indeed disruptive.

Not that KS didn't fare well with Beasley, but DU system under Coach K is not the same.

I also believe we will be in good shape next year without him, with terrific experience and talent in the backcourt.:)

roywhite
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Seems to me KB was more of a "nice to have this guy" recruit than a "need to have this guy" recruit. A 2009-10 backcourt of Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, Elliot Williams, and perhaps Marty Pocious looks like a very strong group. That's without Gerald Henderson, and an early jump to the NBA is not a sure thing.

Wish KB well and will follow his progress.

I wonder if we are done recruiting for the 2009 class?

heyman25
10-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I wonder if there will be a spring surprise in finding a guard to add to Plumlee and Kelly's class.We shouldn't take anyone in case Brandon Knight may be interested for 2010.

Devilsfan
10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
A previous thread said that they never felt Wall fit Coach K's character requirements. And Chris Paul does? I remember watching his antics. Punching a Pack player in the groin while standing next to him, etc. K's a general plus and can control almost anyone (except free spirits like McRob). I don't think he would be a problem and we haven't had a jet at guard since W. Avery. It would be nice to see a Knicks' type push the ball up the court offense.

3rd Dukie
10-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Seems to me KB was more of a "nice to have this guy" recruit than a "need to have this guy" recruit. A 2009-10 backcourt of Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer, Elliot Williams, and perhaps Marty Pocious looks like a very strong group. That's without Gerald Henderson, and an early jump to the NBA is not a sure thing.

Good call, Roy. I may be too old school ( or maybe just too old), but the last few weeks or so gave me an uneasy feeling about Boynton. No facts to support. Just an uneasy feeling lately.

jipops
10-30-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm on board with this as well though I think it would be false hope to think Gerald is around next year.

In 2009-10 we'll have a fantastic, experienced back court. Think about it- two guys with excellent pg skills, three potential defensive stalwarts, and at worst two very reliable 3-point shooters. Join that with the girth in the front court we'll have available and this still looks like a championship contender. Sure Kenny would have been a nice addition but adding a strictly shoot-first 6-2 guard to an already talented, experienced back court would have been quite a challenge as well.

It's not like Kenny would have been in the same situation as Jason Williams was as a freshman coming to Duke. Jason was given complete control of the reins from day one out of necessity. Kenny was going to take a backseat for atleast his freshmen season. At UF that may not be the case.

ACCBBallFan
10-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Does not hurt to at least go through the motions and do due dilligence on Wall, local guy, #1 and all that.

In 2009-2010, without KB or Wall, Duke still has enough guards, the four you mention, to play a more traditional set with a bigger SF @ 3 if G is gone (perhaps Kyle if he stays) and a PF @4 rather than either/or at the 4 and two combos at the 2/3.

Might only be for that one season while Z and Lance are still on board if they improve this year and next, with both Plumlees, Kelly and possibly Kyle.

Then see who is on board in 2010 to help Thornton and Dawkins (Marty and Jon will be hoistory but Nolan/Elliott may stick around) get up to speed and decide alignment based on roster depth.

BlueintheFace
10-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Have you heard from anyone in a position to know that we are going after Wall?

Yes, His name is John. John Wall.

Duke has been calling my coaches and sending me letters. They are trying to get in there and I am looking at them a little,”

- John Wall

BlueintheFace
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
are you John McCain or something? lol.

"i heard Kyle Singler shaved his head must be associated with a gang"

Perhaps you just aren't as "street" as me haha... or maybe you need to do a little hw

Rumored gang involvement + three symmetrical eyebrow cuts (sign of the bloods) = Bad News. It doesn't really matter what political figure you are. That being said, I have no evidence. I am just saying that these are the kind of rumors that should raise eyebrows in the recruiting process.

yancem
10-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Tough break! I hate to see us loose out on such a special talent but I've been feeling like we wouldn't sign him for a while now. As for the Jason Williams comparison, I've been Vacillating between thinking he would be the next William or maybe the next Dajuan Wagner. Looking at video clips his game is very reminiscent of Williams but his high scoring and number of shots reminds me a little of Wagner. Obviously if he ended up more like Williams, then I'm sad he went to UF. But if he ends up more like Wagner, then I'm not terrible disappointed.

On another note, he makes at least the fourth top recruit to make a decision before his official visit. I know that he has been to Duke several times so an official probably wasn't necessary but this seems to be a weird trend. Is it a trend nationally or is it just a Duke phenomena?

El_Diablo
10-30-2008, 10:12 PM
This may just sound like sour grapes, but I'm okay with this development. I really am. I didn't want to say this earlier, but I've never been sold on his team-first attitude. I saw him play only one game in person...he was a good shooter (a little slow on the release IMO) and great at getting to the rim though, so he definitely would have been an asset for the Devils. But this isn't as bad as it may seem.

Someone who says he only wants to go someplace "not where they want me...they have to need me" (paraphrased from an early interview that I can't find now) probably wouldn't be a perfect fit at Duke in the first place. Duke doesn't need him, and he probably wouldn't have been the sole focus of the offense in Durham. So I wish him the best of luck in his traveling NBA scouting tour--I mean, his freshman year at UF--next year. ;)

Now let's be happy with the players who DID choose to come to Duke for 2009 and 2010 already!

SilkyJ
10-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Good call, Roy. I may be too old school ( or maybe just too old), but the last few weeks or so gave me an uneasy feeling about Boynton. No facts to support. Just an uneasy feeling lately.

i also had this feeling. mine was based more on hearing about him going to gainesville multiple times for multiple football games in the past couple months... Now that doesn't tell you everything cause it happens to be close by, but still that only reinforces the fact that his family and others can come all the time and watch him...not to mention UF florida games are pretty fun...

Perhaps you just aren't as "street" as me haha... or maybe you need to do a little hw

Rumored gang involvement + three symmetrical eyebrow cuts (sign of the bloods) = Bad News. It doesn't really matter what political figure you are. That being said, I have no evidence. I am just saying that these are the kind of rumors that should raise eyebrows in the recruiting process.

No you are totally right and I totally agreed with your first posts. more importantly, you ran off a list of several things and duke really rarely goes after a guy with that kind of list of problems, even if they are all minor in magnitude, b/c that tends to indicate a pattern of behavior.

That said, word on the street seems to be that he's matured and gotten rid of some of those problems. I remain a tad skeptical, but totally trust the judgment of the gentleman from West Point.

On another note, he makes at least the fourth top recruit to make a decision before his official visit. I know that he has been to Duke several times so an official probably wasn't necessary but this seems to be a weird trend. Is it a trend nationally or is it just a Duke phenomena?

I just think people are trying to build hype b/c hype and brands sell. If you can make yourself into a household name as an athlete, you become a brand.

So if you believe that you have to believe that schools are at least occasionally going to be used by recruits to hype themselves, and obviously, the top schools are the most vulnerable to that. That isn't to say KB did it, I doubt he did, though I'm sure he took advantage of the process itself as he should, as long as he was honest and not deceptive (which, again, I don't believe he was). I don't know the full story but Patterson seems to be a different story...

ALLLLLL that said, looking forward to several good years with the plumleeS, kelly, hairston, thornotn, dawkins, elliot, and nolan and maybe even kyle. remember guys, he's only a sophomore. and we still plan on signing a couple more guys for 2010, and maybe even '09. Both the present and the future are bright.

Jumbo
10-31-2008, 01:06 AM
I don't have time to read through all the messages here (and this response isn't directed at anyone in particular), but I have a few thoughts.

1) I think it's natural to be disappointed when a kid chooses another school over Duke. What's not fair is to blast Boynton over his decision. I know most of you understand this, but Duke isn't everyone's dream school. It's not the right fit for everyone. To fault the kid or even insinuate that he made a mistake is wrong.

2) The fact that Duke has landed Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton and Kelly in recent months is evidence that Boynton's decision isn't part of some larger "trend." So, the frustration should be contained to the fact that Duke didn't get Boynton, and nothing larger.

3) Because Thornton and Dawkins arrive in 2010, and because Boynton is potentially a one-and-done player, this is basically a one-year issue.

4) If Gerald Henderson comes back next season, this decision is largely meaningless. Duke, obviously, would be incredibly fortunate to have Smith, Scheyer and Henderson for another year, with Williams and possibly Pocius off the bench. I don't expect Henderson to return, but stranger things have happened.

5) If Henderson leaves, this stings a bit, but is not a deal-breaker. Assuming Elliot Williams progresses, Duke should still have a strong perimeter trio. And you'd hope that Marty, as a fifth-year senior, could contribute off the bench. Pure guard depth would be somewhat of an issue.

6) In the event that both Henderson AND Pocius leave, this stings a lot more. That would leave on three pure guards on the roster, increasing the likelihood of having to play Singler at the 3. That's not the worst thing in the world, but it would leave Duke short-handed.

7) There's an even worse-case scenario, where Duke loses Henderson, Pocius AND Singler. But it's absolutely pointless to think about that right now. In theory, everyone could get hurt, too. More than half the team, it seems like, has been rumored to be on the verge of a transfer or headed to the NBA at some point.

8) I think the best course of action is to focus on how exciting this season should be, hope there aren't many backcourt defections after the season and maybe wonder if K will actively pursue a backup plan between now and the spring.

It's a bit frustrating, but in the overall scheme of things, this shouldn't be a big deal. And as far as recruiting misses go, this isn't even close to the most frustrating.

moonpie23
10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
dissapointed, but wish him well.......i mean....well enough for him to be one and done with FLA.... ;)

MChambers
10-31-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't have time to read through all the messages here (and this response isn't directed at anyone in particular), but I have a few thoughts.

1) I think it's natural to be disappointed when a kid chooses another school over Duke. What's not fair is to blast Boynton over his decision. I know most of you understand this, but Duke isn't everyone's dream school. It's not the right fit for everyone. To fault the kid or even insinuate that he made a mistake is wrong.

2) The fact that Duke has landed Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton and Kelly in recent months is evidence that Boynton's decision isn't part of some larger "trend." So, the frustration should be contained to the fact that Duke didn't get Boynton, and nothing larger.

3) Because Thornton and Dawkins arrive in 2010, and because Boynton is potentially a one-and-done player, this is basically a one-year issue.

4) If Gerald Henderson comes back next season, this decision is largely meaningless. Duke, obviously, would be incredibly fortunate to have Smith, Scheyer and Henderson for another year, with Williams and possibly Pocius off the bench. I don't expect Henderson to return, but stranger things have happened.

5) If Henderson leaves, this stings a bit, but is not a deal-breaker. Assuming Elliot Williams progresses, Duke should still have a strong perimeter trio. And you'd hope that Marty, as a fifth-year senior, could contribute off the bench. Pure guard depth would be somewhat of an issue.

6) In the event that both Henderson AND Pocius leave, this stings a lot more. That would leave on three pure guards on the roster, increasing the likelihood of having to play Singler at the 3. That's not the worst thing in the world, but it would leave Duke short-handed.

7) There's an even worse-case scenario, where Duke loses Henderson, Pocius AND Singler. But it's absolutely pointless to think about that right now. In theory, everyone could get hurt, too. More than half the team, it seems like, has been rumored to be on the verge of a transfer or headed to the NBA at some point.

8) I think the best course of action is to focus on how exciting this season should be, hope there aren't many backcourt defections after the season and maybe wonder if K will actively pursue a backup plan between now and the spring.

It's a bit frustrating, but in the overall scheme of things, this shouldn't be a big deal. And as far as recruiting misses go, this isn't even close to the most frustrating.

I'd also add that we were all pretty down when Greg Monroe chose Georgetown last year, and we ended up getting Miles Plumlee. I'm not saying Miles is Monroe's equal (I'm not saying he's not, either, only time will tell), but these things have a way of working out. Maybe there is some very talented guard who wasn't interested in Duke, because of the crowded backcourt situation, who now does the math and realizes he could earn some playing time next year at the best basketball program in the nation.

Diddy
10-31-2008, 09:33 AM

With regards to point 7, that is is a wosrt(ish) case scenario. However, for both (Kyle and Gerald) to leave, both would have to have very good years, and the team would have to do very well. At the very least, a serious Elite 8 Run or better. It is possible for both to have very good years while the team underachieved, but it is unlikely that BOTH would leave early after yet another early March Swoon.

If we made it to the Final Four, or at least knocked on the door, and both left, well, so be it.

I mean, if we went to the FF or won the NC, we would expect a couple of defections. Guys would be striking while the iron is hot, and you can't blame them for that.

If we had a great year, and made a deep run in the NCAAs, and then lost people, next year would be rebuilding year anyway. I would be fine with that. We would take a few lumps, but probably be top 3-4 in the ACC while future key players get tons of experience. Add the frosh in to that in 2010-11 and we would be geared up for another run.

I agree that one of Hendo or Singler will leave. But if we lose both it will be because the team had a great year, and I can live with that.

sandinmyshoes
10-31-2008, 09:47 AM
If we're going to lose a recruiting battle, I prefer that we lose it earlier rather than later. Doing so allows the staff more options in their next move. So this is disappointing, but it doesn't really sting.

Lord Ash
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
I know most of you understand this, but Duke isn't everyone's dream school.

And to paraphrase Yoda... that is why they fail.

BlueintheFace
10-31-2008, 10:36 AM
And to paraphrase Yoda... that is why they fail.

mmmm yes, wisdom, they have not. Fail, they will.

Devilsfan
10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
We are going to lose some recruiting battles. I think now that the staff has the Olympics behind them the recruiting has drastically improved. The hunger for greatness has seemed to return.

Indoor66
10-31-2008, 10:57 AM
The hunger for greatness has seemed to return.

On what basis would you think or assume that it was ever gone?

soccerstud2210
10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
how does this or does this affect a barnes or knight decision?

COYS
10-31-2008, 11:17 AM
how does this or does this affect a barnes or knight decision?

I can't pretend to have any insider information on this, but I can't really see why Barnes would make his decision based on what Boynton did since there was no guarantee that the two of them would ever share the court, even if they both had chosen Duke. Boynton may have been off to the NBA after one season.

SilkyJ
10-31-2008, 01:46 PM
With regards to point 7, that is is a wosrt(ish) case scenario. However, for both (Kyle and Gerald) to leave, both would have to have very good years, and the team would have to do very well. At the very least, a serious Elite 8 Run or better. It is possible for both to have very good years while the team underachieved, but it is unlikely that BOTH would leave early after yet another early March Swoon.

I see where you are coming from with this, but I don't think there's a complete correlation between how far we go in March and whether or not those two go pro. If they have a good to great regular season and then test the waters and do well in workouts, then it really doesn't matter to the scouts whether they lost one game in mid-march or not.

Now, they might want to come back to "finish what they started" or something like that, but it will have little to not impact on their draft stock if we bow out in early/mid march if they have a good season and good workouts.

I can't pretend to have any insider information on this, but I can't really see why Barnes would make his decision based on what Boynton did since there was no guarantee that the two of them would ever share the court, even if they both had chosen Duke. Boynton may have been off to the NBA after one season.

WRT Knight: Same as you I have no inside info, but Duke and UF are high on his list. I think the popular sentiment is that boynton may try and influence knight to go to UF a little, and may succeed, but that in the end, Knight is a very good if not great player in his own right, and will excel wherever he goes.

We can't forget that knight and boynton have been teammates and excelled as teammates on AAU teams so they may want to play together, but the public statements from both of them are that they are not "trying" to play together, and frankly, both of them will be great and be drafted early regardless, and I think they know that. Nonetheless, you have to imagine where boynton plays has to have at least a small impact, but probably not a large one.

COYS
10-31-2008, 03:36 PM
We can't forget that knight and boynton have been teammates and excelled as teammates on AAU teams so they may want to play together, but the public statements from both of them are that they are not "trying" to play together, and frankly, both of them will be great and be drafted early regardless, and I think they know that. Nonetheless, you have to imagine where boynton plays has to have at least a small impact, but probably not a large one.

I agree. Plus, they may be asked to play the same position in college. Boynton may want to showcase his developing PG skills, something he can't do with Knight running the point for his team. At any rate, I just don't think it's possible to really read anything into Boynton's decision WRT Knight's future college choice. I think in the absence of any particularly revealing statements by Knight, we can all pretty much assume that he will be making his decision entirely independently.

concrete
11-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Or perhaps I prefer not to make allegations about future recruits based on teenager styles. There's a lot of kids who put cuts in their eyebrows (dates back to Kriss Kross remember them) and aren't gang affiliated. Just like people shave their heads and aren't skinheads/neo nazis. Now if John Wall was donning red rags and screaming "sooowhooo" after every point on the basketball court I would probably guess he was a gang member. But 3 cuts in the eyebrow? Is that your evidence that he's a "bad" kid we should stay away from. Wow!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Or perhaps I prefer not to make allegations about future recruits based on teenager styles. There's a lot of kids who put cuts in their eyebrows (dates back to Kriss Kross remember them) and aren't gang affiliated. Just like people shave their heads and aren't skinheads/neo nazis. Now if John Wall was donning red rags and screaming "sooowhooo" after every point on the basketball court I would probably guess he was a gang member. But 3 cuts in the eyebrow? Is that your evidence that he's a "bad" kid we should stay away from. Wow!

Thank you for saying this. I'll second this notion.

I tried searching for any references about gang involvement, eyebrow cuts, etc., and came up with not a single reference anywhere. If you don't have proof, why raise unsubstantiated (at best) questions about the character of a young man. (Haven't we learned about the potential impact of baseless claims?) If he has different priorities that led him in a certain direction, then last I checked he is free to make whatever decision best suits him and his family. It's okay to be disappointed about losing a recruit but trying to make yourself feel better by taking pot shots at a kid is despicable.

footballfan2
11-04-2008, 09:31 PM
why didn't Boynton wait until his official visit?

Devilsfan
11-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Some people can make quick decissions others take a long time. He must of felt very comfortable in his home state especially after seeing what the school is now known for, a Football game in the swamp.

SupaDave
11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Well his decision created others...

Florida sophomore Jai Lucas is transferring out of the program, a source has told CBSSports.com.

Diddy
11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Or, at least, next year it will be. I am seeing all over the net that Calathes has one foot out the door. He is Fl's only definite backcourt starter this year. He is also the primary ball handler. Combined with the Lucas decision, which can't have been all that sudden, it is kind of a no brainer for Boynton.

When Boynton gets to Fl next year, he will start immediately. He will also have all the shots he wants. Heck, he will HAVE to start, he will HAVE to play big minutes, and he will HAVE to shoot a lot.

Prior to this summer, nearly everyone expected Boynto to need a few years at least to get ready for the league. His play this summer served notice that he has serious one-and-done abilities. If a showcase for Kenny Boynton was what he was looking for, Duke was not the place for him. We have too many quality guys on the perimeter next year, even if Hendo does leave. Boynton would have to earn minutes at Duke, which simply isn't the case at FL.