PDA

View Full Version : Duke has offered Leslie McDonald

watzone
01-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Duke has extended an offer (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/1/15/3466695.html) to Leslie Williams (aka "Leslie McDonald," but only after the coffee's kicked in -ed), making him the fourth player to be offered in the class of 2009.

jimsumner
01-15-2008, 10:01 AM
"Duke has extended an offer to Leslie Williams"

In case you didn't know, he's good friends with recent signee Elliott McDonald.

RepoMan
01-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Duke has extended an offer (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/1/15/3466695.html) to Leslie Williams, making him the fourth player to be offered in the class of 2009.

What is the complete list of 4?

jimsumner
01-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Greg Echenique
Kenny Boynton
Eric Murphy
Leslie McDonald

Boynton is a 1/2 combo
McDonald is a 6'4" 2/3 combo
Murphy is a 6'10" 4/5 combo
Echenique is a burly, classic low-post player

In other words, this prospective class would complement each other splendidly.

vango
01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
"Duke has extended an offer to Leslie Williams"

In case you didn't know, he's good friends with recent signee Elliott McDonald.

Elliot Williams? Never mind...

Thanks for that post. I saw this page this morning (but I know it isn't always accurate):

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2009

I'd love to see McDonald, Boynton, Murphy, Painter (not offered yet I know), and Echenique suit up - that's a STRONG class...

jimsumner
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
I know it's Elliott Williams.

Mark inadvertently conflated Leslie McDonald to Leslie Williams. I responded with Elliott McDonald in an attempt at whimsical humor that apparently fell unnoticed and unmourned in some distant wilderness.

FWIW, no one in my family appreciates my sense of humor either.

vango
01-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Mark inadvertently conflated Leslie McDonald to Leslie Williams. I responded with Elliott McDonald in an attempt at whimsical humor that apparently fell unnoticed and unmourned in some distant wilderness.

:D I know - I apparently was editing my post as you were writing this message - got it the second time. A little slow this morning - I'll blame it on my sinus medication.... :p

CMS2478
01-15-2008, 11:28 AM
We have a good shot at Boynton, but how do we stand with the other 3? Anyboyd have any info or feelings on how many of these 4 we may actually get? Just Curious!!!

speedevil
01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
any back up prospects out there, just in case none of these 4 sign else where.

CMS2478
01-15-2008, 11:39 AM
If NONE of them sign else where we don't need a back-up plan do we? ;)

Just Kidding (couldn't resist)

jimsumner
01-15-2008, 11:46 AM
John Henson, Travis Wear, and David Wear are back-ups.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Duke is at least looking at Deshawn Painter, Jon Hood, and Terrell Vinson. Not sure how seriously. Mark can speak to this.

Let's keep in mind that targets can and will emerge later in the process. How many of us had heard of Olek Czyz a year ago?

trinity92
01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
John Henson, Travis Wear, and David Wear are back-ups.

I believe the Wear twins are headed to Carolina.

jimsumner
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Memo to self.

No more attempts at humor.

Highlander
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Memo to self.

If it makes you feel any better, this post made me laugh...

trinity92
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Memo to self.

Fair enough :D

Bud
01-15-2008, 12:32 PM
We are the leader for Boynton, I will be shocked if he signs anywhere but Duke. As for McDonald we have a good shot at him other schools involved besides us Tenn, Mem, and Carolina. There have been rumers that Duke is his dream school I fell real good about are chances of landing him.

Enhenique is the big guy we are going after we stand a good shot of landing him also. Other schools Vilinova, Miami, and the twerps. I believe we are the leader for his services right now, we will be in a dog fight with vilinova he likes them a lot he was at their midnight madness and loves the school. In the end I think we win out.

Murphy is the 4 guy we have offered this is guy that is hard to figure out, his dad played at BC so many people believe they lead, but he gave a interview a few weeks ago and after the interview I feel beter about landing him he mentioned Duke more than any other team, even when asked about other teams he found away to talk about Duke. I believe it comes down to Duke, BC and Florida.

watzone
01-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Duke has extended an offer (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/1/15/3466695.html) to Leslie Williams, making him the fourth player to be offered in the class of 2009.

No java = no brain

For some reason the edit button isn't coming up on the originsl post. Mods:)

devildeac
01-15-2008, 06:13 PM

I understood perfectly, Jim. Kinda like Greg Zoubek and Brian Koubek;) .

Must be the Raleigh connection enabling the understanding of your droll wit.

3rd Dukie
01-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Memo to self.

Good call. At least so early in the day. :)

3rd Dukie
01-15-2008, 06:48 PM
We are the leader for Boynton, I will be shocked if he signs anywhere but Duke. As for McDonald we have a good shot at him other schools involved besides us Tenn, Mem, and Carolina. There have been rumers that Duke is his dream school I fell real good about are chances of landing him.

Enhenique is the big guy we are going after we stand a good shot of landing him also. Other schools Vilinova, Miami, and the twerps. I believe we are the leader for his services right now, we will be in a dog fight with vilinova he likes them a lot he was at their midnight madness and loves the school. In the end I think we win out.

Murphy is the 4 guy we have offered this is guy that is hard to figure out, his dad played at BC so many people believe they lead, but he gave a interview a few weeks ago and after the interview I feel beter about landing him he mentioned Duke more than any other team, even when asked about other teams he found away to talk about Duke. I believe it comes down to Duke, BC and Florida.

OK. I finally have to ask this. I have no reason to doubt anything you said. However, I am really curious to know how you guys get all this inside info. Is it from newsletters and websites? If so, which ones are regarded as the most worthwhile? I realize what a lame question that must be, but I thank you very much for your indulgence. I would like to follow the recruiting more closely.

SilkyJ
01-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Memo to self.

No! i've been LMAO at your posts today!

I even laughed at the "back-ups" joke that apparently no one else has got yet. especially with all this UNC recruiting discussion you think people might get it...

Also, Jim, I'd be curious to know ur thoughts relative to Bud's above with regard to how you feel about landing our four offered players. I love boynton and have been excited to hear that we are pretty much the leader for him, but I'd love some confirmation from a source I trust a littler better (no offense to anyone else, but I think we all know Jim's the man. Watzone: please feel free to chime in as well). thanks in advance.

watzone
01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
OK. I finally have to ask this. I have no reason to doubt anything you said. However, I am really curious to know how you guys get all this inside info. Is it from newsletters and websites? If so, which ones are regarded as the most worthwhile? I realize what a lame question that must be, but I thank you very much for your indulgence. I would like to follow the recruiting more closely.

Well, mine of course;) The messenger of the McDonald news will not even link the Blue Devil Nation in this post.

watzone
01-15-2008, 08:42 PM
No! i've been LMAO at your posts today!

I even laughed at the "back-ups" joke that apparently no one else has got yet. especially with all this UNC recruiting discussion you think people might get it...

Also, Jim, I'd be curious to know ur thoughts relative to Bud's above with regard to how you feel about landing our four offered players. I love boynton and have been excited to hear that we are pretty much the leader for him, but I'd love some confirmation from a source I trust a littler better (no offense to anyone else, but I think we all know Jim's the man. Watzone: please feel free to chime in as well). thanks in advance.

Okay, I am warning you that it is sorta cryptic. Duke has offered just four players giving them all of their focus. Duke has had success in the past and they must feel that ..... okay, there chances are good or they'd be after ten or twenty players. There are a few backup plans, but I gotta get my milk money for anymore info.

Jumbo
01-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Okay, I am warning you that it is sorta cryptic. Duke has offered just four players giving them all of their focus. Duke has had success in the past and they must feel that ..... okay, there chances are good or they'd be after ten or twenty players. There are a few backup plans, but I gotta get my milk money for anymore info.

How is this different from Duke's previous strategy, though? Duke has focused on small numbers of recruits before and doesn't land everyone -- why should this year be different?

I'm aware of a few backup plans, but was also told Duke would cast a wider net...

Bob Green
01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
How is this different from Duke's previous strategy, though? Duke has focused on small numbers of recruits before and doesn't land everyone -- why should this year be different?

I'm aware of a few backup plans, but was also told Duke would cast a wider net...

It is my understanding, for the Class of 2009, Duke did cast a wider net. The staff scouted/observed/evaluated a large number of recruits, prior to offering scholarships to four.

I'm not claiming inside info. My info is just the rumblings of an Internet junkie.

watzone
01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
It is my understanding, for the Class of 2009, Duke did cast a wider net. The staff scouted/observed/evaluated a large number of recruits, prior to offering scholarships to four.

I'm not claiming inside info. My info is just the rumblings of an Internet junkie.

Bob gets good information and is correct. Duke did cast a wider net and they feel confident that they have a very legitimate shot at landing the targets they sifted out.

I mean, PG is wide open as are two slots up front making Duke attractive to the players who are saying nice things about them.

There is never a guarantee, but 2009 will likely be a solid class. Patience from fans is not only necessary, it is a must for the class of 2009.

Now! Where is that article I know Al Featherston was working on?

Jumbo
01-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Bob gets good information and is correct. Duke did cast a wider net and they feel confident that they have a very legitimate shot at landing the targets they sifted out.

I mean, PG is wide open as are two slots up front making Duke attractive to the players who are saying nice things about them.

There is never a guarantee, but 2009 will likely be a solid class. Patience from fans is not only necessary, it is a must for the class of 2009.

Now! Where is that article I know Al Featherston was working on?

Gotcha. I've heard many of the same things, and I think I just had a different vision of what "wider net" meant. My understanding is that Duke will keep recruiting/evaluating some other players who haven't received scholarship offers. Correct?

Jim3k
01-15-2008, 09:11 PM
you might want to google their names (include 'Duke'). Then you'll know.

watzone
01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Gotcha. I've heard many of the same things, and I think I just had a different vision of what "wider net" meant. My understanding is that Duke will keep recruiting/evaluating some other players who haven't received scholarship offers. Correct?

Yes. Duke always has their eyes open for talent and they continue to check in on more than the four prospects offered. This way if Murphy (example) picks UConn, another player slips in after an evaluation process.

acciconoclast
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Good thing Duke offered. Don't know if there was any truth to this, but there was some modest buzz re McDonald and UNC a few days ago

SilkyJ
01-15-2008, 09:36 PM

I must 2nd jumbo's question below, however, which is "how is this different from any other year?" Don't we feel that we have a good chance to land every recruit we give an offer to? Otherwise it would be silly to offer them, right?

I guess I always just assume that we have a solid shot to get whoever we offer, but was looking for more then the usual, if that makes sense.

Of course I understand WRT premium info. man's gotta eat...

SilkyJ
01-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Good thing Duke offered. Don't know if there was any truth to this, but there was some modest buzz re McDonald and UNC a few days ago

I apologize if this is patronizing as I am not a moderator and certainly have no authority on this board, but your post count is very low so I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you are somewhat new to the board.

This type of post is generally frowned upon (especially with recruiting where rumors abound more than anywhere) if you aren't known to be an "insider" or can't substantiate your claim in anyway. I believe there is a sticky thread at the top of the main board spelling out policies around "rumor mongering."

Can you go into a little more detail as to where you heard this?

jimsumner
01-15-2008, 09:51 PM
This time last year how many of us had every heard of Olek Czyz? I certainly had not.

New targets emerge, or can emerge, at any time. I guarantee you there are high school juniors right now not ranked in the consensus top 100 who will one day start in the NBA.

Jumbo
01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
This time last year how many of us had every heard of Olek Czyz? I certainly had not.

New targets emerge, or can emerge, at any time. I guarantee you there are high school juniors right now not ranked in the consensus top 100 who will one day start in the NBA.

True dat.

watzone
01-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I must 2nd jumbo's question below, however, which is "how is this different from any other year?" Don't we feel that we have a good chance to land every recruit we give an offer to? Otherwise it would be silly to offer them, right?

I guess I always just assume that we have a solid shot to get whoever we offer, but was looking for more then the usual, if that makes sense.

Of course I understand WRT premium info. man's gotta eat...

Your assumption is correct or at least logical in that Duke always has a pretty solid shot at the prospects they choose. The percentage is indeed on the plus side of the ledger.

And you are right that Duke does it's research on a player before they offer.

Duke missed on Monroe and they were disappointed that he never visited. They missed on Patterson but got in a little late and Kentucky was always the favorite despite intentional deception. Still, this is not the norm, but is recnt history and you know ... what have you done for me lately. Nevermind Duke is the winningest team since 2000 in all of college hoops.

**Food for thought for those who are freaking out over Carolina's recent barrage of commitments. UNC has been good in the past ... really good and they will likely always be good, just as Duke will. And Duke has won National Championships when they were ranked below and finished below them in the ACC during the regular season. Duke will get theirs.

One more factoid of possible interest. Duke never, ever offers a prospect unless Coach K has seen him play in person and or talked with him.

Anyhow, I answer any and all recruiting questions for members of my site. I don't know it all, but it is what I do and I try to do a good job at it. Trust me, networking, learning what to watch for, ask, and such is not that easy. But I enjoy going to AAU events and the people I deal with More importantly, I love Duke Basketball (and football). Yes, everything past the asterik didn't pertain to questions asked;)

kramerbr
01-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Your insight is always much appreciated.

If South Dakota ever moves out from last place in teachers salary, I plan on becoming a member of your site.

CMS2478
01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Your insight is always much appreciated.

If South Dakota ever moves out from last place in teachers salary, I plan on becoming a member of your site.

Amen, I can barely pay the bills I got. I would love to subscribe to Watzone's site but it is not feasible right now, hopefully in the future. In the meantime I appreciate all the info you are able to give us for free on here and I understand that you cannot tell us everything because you have to save stuff for your site. But I do appreciate you and others who share what they know to the board. :)

hondoheel
01-16-2008, 09:51 AM
I haven't read about any recent "buzz" with McDonald and UNC. Some people on IC have speculated that one of the wings that UNC has offered in the 2009 class might jump on the last remaining spot. Those wings are Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, Dominic Cheek, and McDonald. Cheek seemed close to pulling the trigger for UNC after Late Night with Roy, but lately rumors are that he may be favoring Villanova. One of the Wears said after announcing for UNC that they wanted to get in before the spots were taken. One of the wings might come to the same conclusion, but I haven't seen anything about it being McDonald. Of course, I'm not a premium subscriber, so I'm not in the inner circle. :rolleyes:

watzone
01-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I haven't read about any recent "buzz" with McDonald and UNC. Some people on IC have speculated that one of the wings that UNC has offered in the 2009 class might jump on the last remaining spot. Those wings are Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, Dominic Cheek, and McDonald. Cheek seemed close to pulling the trigger for UNC after Late Night with Roy, but lately rumors are that he may be favoring Villanova. One of the Wears said after announcing for UNC that they wanted to get in before the spots were taken. One of the wings might come to the same conclusion, but I haven't seen anything about it being McDonald. Of course, I'm not a premium subscriber, so I'm not in the inner circle. :rolleyes:

That's in line with what I hear. UNC has recruited McDonald really hard though. Coach Robinson and Roy have made a lot of calls to his Memphis residence.

BlueDevilJay
01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
We have a good shot at Boynton, but how do we stand with the other 3? Anyboyd have any info or feelings on how many of these 4 we may actually get? Just Curious!!!

I thought Elliot Williams already signed his letter of intent (or at least verbally committed) back in November to Duke?? I know I've read that he did. (Or I my be misreading the comment, and you're referring to 4 other players outside of Williams)

3rd Dukie
01-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Well, mine of course;) The messenger of the McDonald news will not even link the Blue Devil Nation in this post.

Duh! Shoulda seen that one coming! :)
You never know.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Some people on IC have speculated that one of the wings that UNC has offered in the 2009 class might jump on the last remaining spot. Those wings are Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, Dominic Cheek, and McDonald.

Random recruiting rules question to anyone who knows: Maybe I am misinterpreting but its sounds like this poster is saying that UNC has OFFERED SCHOLARSHIPS to all of those wings you list, but there is only one scholarship spot available right now. So does that mean you can issue 10 scholarships even if you only have 5 spots and then its just 1st come 1st serve? And then you have to "retract" or whatever the remaining 5 scholarships if the guys don't accept them quickly enough? Doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know that aspect of the rule book that well...

I thought Elliot Williams already signed his letter of intent (or at least verbally committed) back in November to Duke?? I know I've read that he did. (Or I my be misreading the comment, and you're referring to 4 other players outside of Williams)

We are discussing the 2009 class, elliott is a senior in high school and is a member of our 2008 class along with Olek "The" Czyz

phillyheel
01-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Random recruiting rules question to anyone who knows: Maybe I am misinterpreting but its sounds like this poster is saying that UNC has OFFERED SCHOLARSHIPS to all of those wings you list, but there is only one scholarship spot available right now. So does that mean you can issue 10 scholarships even if you only have 5 spots and then its just 1st come 1st serve? And then you have to "retract" or whatever the remaining 5 scholarships if the guys don't accept them quickly enough? Doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know that aspect of the rule book that well...

Offering scholarships and accepting commitments is all verbal at this point. Nothing is official. At some point in the recruitment the coach will tell the player that he has a scholarship waiting for him if the player decides to come to his school. At some future point he may tell other players that I need a SG and I've offered you and player Y and the first one to accept my offer gets the scholarship. Roy did this with Wright and Thad Young and Wright stepped up and took the offer to the dismay of Young.

Also afaik Stephenson has not been offered and is not being actively recruited by UNC.

jimsumner
01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Conditional, first-come, first-served offers are fairly common.

Duke tends to do this less often than the competition, which drives some part of the fan base quite mad.

Lefty Driesell was notorious for this sort of thing. It wasn't at all unusual for Maryland to bring in eight or ten players at a time and tell them he had three of four scholarships and if you don't want one, well the guy on your left probably does.

SilkyJ
01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Conditional, first-come, first-served offers are fairly common.

Duke tends to do this less often than the competition, which drives some part of the fan base quite mad.

That must be why I thought it was weird cause i've never heard of us doing that. I guess it just speaks to the type of person K is.

yancem
01-16-2008, 11:48 PM
I apologize if this is patronizing as I am not a moderator and certainly have no authority on this board, but your post count is very low so I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you are somewhat new to the board.

This type of post is generally frowned upon (especially with recruiting where rumors abound more than anywhere) if you aren't known to be an "insider" or can't substantiate your claim in anyway. I believe there is a sticky thread at the top of the main board spelling out policies around "rumor mongering."

Can you go into a little more detail as to where you heard this?

I thought he was trying to make a funny. I laughed.