PDA

View Full Version : The Unforgettables

EarlJam
01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Anyone else catch Behind the Glory Saturday - "The Unforgettables?"

It was the story of the 1992 Kentucky Team and it climaxed with the Duke game. For me, it was one of the best Behind the Glory episodes ever. Very emotional and it was really cool to get an in-depth look at "the other side of the coin" regarding the game in Philly.

-EarlJam

BlueDevilBaby
01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Agree completely. I did not recall the complete mess the Kentucky program was in when the seniors on that team were underclassmen. It was a very classy move to repay them for staying by retiring their jerseys at the end of that season and not waiting a few years. I had not realized this fact until the KY/Vanderbilt game on Sat. when the announcers mentioned it.

Although I really do not like Kentucky, I'm glad that Pelphrey is now AR's coach as the Razorbacks are my second team ('94 was so painful:( ).

Karl Beem
01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I guess I've forgotten.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2008, 01:14 PM

It was the story of the 1992 Kentucky Team and it climaxed with the Duke game. For me, it was one of the best Behind the Glory episodes ever. Very emotional and it was really cool to get an in-depth look at "the other side of the coin" regarding the game in Philly.

-EarlJam

Who cares about the story????? It was the ending that I loved!

crote
01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
There are a lot of Arkansas fans on this board, it seems. At least three. That seems like a lot, anyway.

I guess I've forgotten.

Pelphrey was one of two guys guarding Laettner during The Shot. He was the one who tried to intercept Grant's pass.

gw67
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
It was a terrific program and I had forgotten that those four young men had their jerseys hung in the rafters. The comments by all the participants from both teams were very genuine and lacking in athlete "sports speak". The two shots where Laettner double clutched and threw it at the basket and the running hook shot by the Kentucky youngster were indicators that neither team would give in to the pressure and, indeed, the team that won would be the one with the last shot. You don't have to be a Kentucky fan to admire the grit in Pitino and his players. Clearly, the "shot" is one that all of those who were watching will always remember.

gw67

CDu
01-14-2008, 01:47 PM

-EarlJam

That episode is probably good insight as to why Kentucky fans dislike Duke so much. That game was a painful loss for a group of underdogs that stayed through an awful time. And on top of that they have the quote-unquote stomp incident which added insult to injury. To come so close and then fall short at the hands of a cocky favorite had to be tough for them, and Laettner's chest-tap became their rallying cry for Duke hatred.

riverside6
01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Who?

From the top of my head...
Richie Farmer, John Pelfrey, (can't remember his first name) Feldhaus, and Sean Woods

It really is a great story, all the more reason that UK/Duke game was something special.

BlueDevilBaby
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Who cares about the story????? It was the ending that I loved!

So right! I could skip the first half and just watch the second half.

gadzooks
01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I found it really interesting that the one person not interviewed in that was Aminu Timberlake. It seems sure that they would have at least tried to get his take on the "stomp," so I wonder if he just doesn't want to talk about it any more.

gw67
01-14-2008, 02:27 PM
I found Farmer's comment interesting that Timberlake was probably the only player on the Kentucky team who wouldn't have gotten up after the stomp and nailed Laettner.

gw67

VaDukie
01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
I really think that someday a pretty good sports movie could be made about the Duke-Kentucky teams of 1992; so many story lines, personalities, and you wouldn't have to make up a single play in the final game as is custom in many sports movies (Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights, etc.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM

-EarlJam

Yes, I found the program while I was surfing channels. It was well produced and quite moving in places.... a great inside view of "the other side." Behind every great game there seems to be a great story waiting for those willing to listen.

tbyers11
01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Who?

From the top of my head...
Richie Farmer, John Pelfrey, (can't remember his first name) Feldhaus, and Sean Woods

It really is a great story, all the more reason that UK/Duke game was something special.

It is Darren Feldhaus

They are a very memorable and likable story. Although I didn't like Sean "How did he find the courage to take that shot?" Woods for a couple of minutes at the end of the UK-Duke game in 1992.

EarlJam
01-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I found Farmer's comment interesting that Timberlake was probably the only player on the Kentucky team who wouldn't have gotten up after the stomp and nailed Laettner.

gw67

I found that interesting as well. Kind of a back-handed insult at Timberlake. I know he didn't mean it that way, but....

-EarlJam

captmojo
01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
I really think that someday a pretty good sports movie could be made about the Duke-Kentucky teams of 1992; so many story lines, personalities, and you wouldn't have to make up a single play in the final game as is custom in many sports movies (Remember the Titans, Friday Night Lights, etc.)

A production of this story would just really cheese-off carolina faithful, don't ya think? Especially if it drew a good box office receipt.:D

Mal
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM

Great idea; who's writing the screenplay? And who's playing Coach K and Pitino?

Sort of like "Miracle," it would seem to someone who didn't know the real story to be just an endless string of the same sports movie cliches you've seen a hundred times, but in reality all those things actually happened.

Wait a minute. On second thought, we can't make this movie. Axiom #1 of Hollywood sports movies: You need a cartoonishly evil antagonist. Fairly confident the powers that be would demand that said antagonist either wear jerseys with a "D" and an "E" on them or have a Polish last name. Of course, there's the countervailing Axiom #2 of Hollywood sports movies: the good guys have to win the climactic big game. Which might just confuse the beancounters at Universal or Disney too much when told that Duke emerges victorious.

ArkieDukie
01-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Pelphrey was one of two guys guarding Laettner during The Shot. He was the one who tried to intercept Grant's pass.

I am a HUGE fan of the new AR coach. The more I see him in action, the more I like him. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the fact that he was guarding Laettner during The Shot. I've suggested to several people that Pelphrey might want to have someone else coaching defense.

The Hogs have won at least 3 games this year that they would've lost under Heath last year.

dynastydefender
02-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Well this is my first post. First I want to say that I am not here to talk smack about which program is better than which. I am a UK fan through and through. I remember Eddie Sutton causing the Wildcats to sink and then the NCAA Probation. All of it lead up to Rick Pitino rebuilding the program culminating in that 1992 East Regional Final against Duke. I too watched in Horror as Laetner sank the last shot of the game. I tell you. In Kentucky it was like someone died!! We were shocked, outraged, and proud all at the same time. Here is something that Dukies may not know. We had an announcer that did color commentary for the Cats for over 40 years. His name was Cawood Ledford and that 1992 season was his last season before he retired. Thus the "Greatest Game Ever Played" was the last he would call. Coach K, obviously, is no dumb coach. I do believe he understood quickly what had just happened when the game came to a conclusion. Coach K went over to Cawood Ledford put on a set of Headphones, grabbed the Mic and told the entire state of Kentucky that he was honored to have been a part of this and he didn't want anyone to feel bad for the Wildcats. It was classy and bold all at the same time. It didn't take away Laetner's shot but I do believe Coach K staved off alot more of Kentucky Backlash by doing that. So not bad for a bunch of Kentucky 1 Star recruits huh? The best for us was yet to come. Plus there is UNC. I think we all can agree on what we think of them!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Well this is my first post. First I want to say that I am not here to talk smack about which program is better than which. I am a UK fan through and through. I remember Eddie Sutton causing the Wildcats to sink and then the NCAA Probation. All of it lead up to Rick Pitino rebuilding the program culminating in that 1992 East Regional Final against Duke. I too watched in Horror as Laetner sank the last shot of the game. I tell you. In Kentucky it was like someone died!! We were shocked, outraged, and proud all at the same time. Here is something that Dukies may not know. We had an announcer that did color commentary for the Cats for over 40 years. His name was Cawood Ledford and that 1992 season was his last season before he retired. Thus the "Greatest Game Ever Played" was the last he would call. Coach K, obviously, is no dumb coach. I do believe he understood quickly what had just happened when the game came to a conclusion. Coach K went over to Cawood Ledford put on a set of Headphones, grabbed the Mic and told the entire state of Kentucky that he was honored to have been a part of this and he didn't want anyone to feel bad for the Wildcats. It was classy and bold all at the same time. It didn't take away Laetner's shot but I do believe Coach K staved off alot more of Kentucky Backlash by doing that. So not bad for a bunch of Kentucky 1 Star recruits huh? The best for us was yet to come. Plus there is UNC. I think we all can agree on what we think of them!

Welcome dynastydefender. Please feel free to post here as do fans of other programs; we have even had a few carolina fans here over the years, and some of them are friends.

We do know about Cawood Ledford, and that K spoke to the Kentucky fans on the radio. You are the first UK fan I know of who has acknowledged that talk in a positive light, so thank you for that. And we don't hate Kentucky basketball - that hate is a one way street as you now know. We love to beat you, but we don't hate you. There is a big difference.

Yes, we do have agreement with how we both think of carolina. In fact, I have a very good friend who is prominent on the CatChat and that was the original basis of our friendship.

So again, welcome. And just for the record, there are two "t's" in Laettner.

Uncle Drew
02-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Welcome dynastydefender. Please feel free to post here as do fans of other programs; we have even had a few carolina fans here over the years, and some of them are friends.

We do know about Cawood Ledford, and that K spoke to the Kentucky fans on the radio. You are the first UK fan I know of who has acknowledged that talk in a positive light, so thank you for that. And we don't hate Kentucky basketball - that hate is a one way street as you now know. We love to beat you, but we don't hate you. There is a big difference.

Yes, we do have agreement with how we both think of carolina. In fact, I have a very good friend who is prominent on the CatChat and that was the original basis of our friendship.

So again, welcome. And just for the record, there are two "t's" in Laettner.

Yeah welcome DD. As someone who had WAY too many drinks called "rattlesnakes" at the Kentucky Derby one year I have to say I like your state a lot; what I remember of it! I can assure you when UK is playing UNC 99.9% of us are pulling for you guys bigtime. And truth be told I (for one) still hold a grudge against Louisville for robing us of the title in 1986. As bad as you guys felt in 92, that's how we felt in 1986. So when you play your arch rival a lot of us are pulling for you all in that too. And the first national championship game I ever watched was the 1978 contest where UK beat Duke in the championship game. I was so young I assumed Duke played for the national title every year.

cspan37421
02-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Coach K went over to Cawood Ledford put on a set of Headphones, grabbed the Mic and told the entire state of Kentucky that he was honored to have been a part of this and he didn't want anyone to feel bad for the Wildcats. It was classy and bold all at the same time. It didn't take away Laetner's shot but I do believe Coach K staved off alot more of Kentucky Backlash by doing that.

I can't imagine how bad the hate would be if K hadn't done that - it is bad enough as it is!

cspan

public high school, western KY
college: Duke
current residence: TN

Lavabe
02-04-2008, 08:32 AM
First KenTankerous and now dynastydefender ... welcomed additions to the DBR! WELCOME ABOARD!

Are y'all the norm in UK-land, or are you the exceptions?

Cheers,
Lavabe

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm still waiting for him to get his other "T" for stepping on the UK Player! LOL

Yeah..i didn't know what to think about it when K got on the radio. I was reeling in my house and the gravity of what we just witnessed hadn't yet sunk in. But the more I look back on it the more I appreciate what he did.

You are right...the UK fanbase in general hates Duke. Only until I got stationed at Fort Bragg did I realize that the Duke Fans don't realize it. It's funny to me now.
There was a rumor that a fraternity on the UK Campus told thier pledges that spring to make the trip to Duke and steal Laettner's Jersey. As the rumor goes they actually stole it right out of the Locker Room. They had it for a few years until one of the members of the Frat, in a drunken stupor, bragged about it in earshot of the UK Athletic Director. They were ordered to give it back or the Frat would be kicked off campus.
Well what can I say? We made a run for it in the 90's and the hype never went away. Now we are rebuilding AGAIN!!

I do think there needs to be a movie about the game. First Scenes: Kentucky Hiring Pitino in 1988 and Duke beating UNLV in 1991.

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Yeah I root for Duke every time they Play UNC. I always hope for a straight UNC Embarassment.

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
First KenTankerous and now dynastydefender ... welcomed additions to the DBR! WELCOME ABOARD!

Are y'all the norm in UK-land, or are you the exceptions?

Cheers,
Lavabe

I think we are the exception. I still hear about times when Duke makes thier way through Rupp Arena for Tournaments or exhibition games. The UK Fanbase turns out and heckles the entire team to the point of throwing batteries at coach K. We got spoiled in the 90's and for the most part we act like it. I mean look at the exit of Tubby Smith?

captmojo
02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah I root for Duke every time they Play UNC. I always hope for a straight UNC Embarassment.

The friend of my enemy is my friend. ;)

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
The friend of my enemy is my friend. ;)
There is something about Powder Blue that doesn't seem manly!! :)

Olympic Fan
02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the board, DynastyDefender ...

I think you'll find that most of us here have a lot of respect for the Kentucky program. Personally, I don't think that there's any doubt that over the history of college basketball that it's the best program in the nation (despite UCLA's titles).

I do believe that a lot of the resentment felt by Kentucky fans stems from the fact that Duke has mounted a recent challenge to the 'Cats status as the nation's best program. Over the century-plus that the game has been played, it's no contest ... but in modern years -- what I call the ESPN era -- Duke has been more successful and has gotten more attention.

From reading Kentucky boards, I know that galls Wildcat fans. I know that many believe that Duke's modern success is BECAUSE of favoratism from ESPN, instead of (what most of us believe) we get more attention from ESPN because we've been the most successful. And as you'll lurk here, you'll see plenty of posters complain about the quality of that attention -- yeah, we've got Dukie V, but we've also got to put up with Stuart Scott, Hubert Davis, Doug Gottlieb (like Billy Packer, he wanted to attend Duke and is still bitter he was rejected) and a bunch of other Duke haters at the network too.

Finally, one warning. You want to come here and defend Kentucky basketball as often as you want ... fine. We welcome the debate and your point of view.

But if you ever bring up barbeque and even suggest that the stuff they serve in the Bluegrass State can compare with our 'que ... well, you'll be banned in less than 2.1 seconds.

PS Really admire the Unforgettables and how they were honored by Kentucky. It's not often a program like Kentucky gets to be the underdog. They honored college basketball. BTW, as long as we're getting picky about names, I believe it's Deron Feldhaus, not Darren.

KenTankerous
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I think you are right, Olympic Fan, we do resent Duke's ascendancy to the top but there is something a little deeper that we do not like to talk about. As proud as we are of our Cats past success on the court and as sure as we are that they will rebuild and once again play at that level, there will always be the nagging undercurrent that our guys are more athletes than students. As such, how far are we from the recesses of another probation era or even death sentence? We also know that Duke will never have this issue, not as long as Krzyzewski runs the program and frankly, it pisses us off. It's irrational and childish, but it is there. The "ESPN love-fest" noise and Coach K owns the refs and gets all the calls bull is just a smokescreen to cover up the fact that Duke's program is clean and powerful and will be for the forseeable future and we aren't.

I'm a vegetarian so you can have the barbeque victory. Now tofu chili, that's another story...

Hey DD, remember when UK went with those denim-esque uniforms a few years back? MAN, you talk about irate fans! Way to close to Carolina blue for the Bluegrass.

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Do you know that Pitino told him to not foul Laettner? One of Pitino's admitted mistakes.

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I do remember the Uniforms. If we would have kept them I would have been able to figure out who was who when Duke Plays Kentucky. Honestly it's like a Blue and White Scrimmage when they play. Kind of like when the Road Warriors would wrestle Demolition back in the day.

First thing's first. Not comparing Bar B Que....but someone needs to make a trip to Owensboro Kentucky for the Bar B Que Festival. :) It's almost lunchtime....you got any "Q?"

Well I have been around long enough to see UK Become Successful....then sink to the lowest depths then rebound again....stagnate and now rebuild once again. I have patience but it needs to happen before UNC Catches the cats on the all time wins list (Which is about 2 seasons away). I wrote a letter to the Fayetteville Observer which will be published this sunday. Want to read it? I'll post it if you do.

I think you are right, Olympic Fan, we do resent Duke's ascendancy to the top but there is something a little deeper that we do not like to talk about. As proud as we are of our Cats past success on the court and as sure as we are that they will rebuild and once again play at that level, there will always be the nagging undercurrent that our guys are more athletes than students. As such, how far are we from the recesses of another probation era or even death sentence? We also know that Duke will never have this issue, not as long as Krzyzewski runs the program and frankly, it pisses us off. It's irrational and childish, but it is there. The "ESPN love-fest" noise and Coach K owns the refs and gets all the calls bull is just a smokescreen to cover up the fact that Duke's program is clean and powerful and will be for the forseeable future and we aren't.

I'm a vegetarian so you can have the barbeque victory. Now tofu chili, that's another story...

Hey DD, remember when UK went with those denim-esque uniforms a few years back? MAN, you talk about irate fans! Way to close to Carolina blue for the Bluegrass.

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey this may sound very awkward...but reading what the Duke fans have to say about Kentucky and the Unforgettables kind of gives me a little closure!!

I know. I know!! .I'll book the therapist!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey this may sound very awkward...but reading what the Duke fans have to say about Kentucky and the Unforgettables kind of gives me a little closure!!

I know. I know!! .I'll book the therapist!!

This is the best therapy group around. You won't need a therapist as long as you stay involved here!

As for BBQ, in this state we continue to debate the merits of Eastern vs. Western NC styles. As Rosanna Danna Danna said, "It's always somethin' "

Lavabe
02-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Note: In these parts, the title of this post means a battle over Q.

And here in Jaw-Jah, we plan road trips to get our Q.

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Note: In these parts, the title of this post means a battle over Q.

And here in Jaw-Jah, we plan road trips to get our Q.
http://www.moonlite.com/

LOL Had my wedding reception there!!!

Ok here is the link for the BBQ Festival in Owensboro KY.

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.moonlite.com/

LOL Had my wedding reception there!!!

Ok here is the link for the BBQ Festival in Owensboro KY.
Whoops!!

Here it is..
http://www.bbqfest.com/

devildeac
02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I am almost tearful and amazed at the same time. The tearful feeling because of all the love on the board tonight and yesterday with Jumbo's love thread, Klemnop's emotional return, our community embrace of Klem and the 2 polite, civil, respectful and rational UK posters who have kindly joined the board. Welcome! I am amazed because the 2 intelligent UK posters represent 2 more polite, civil, rational and intelligent posters than there are total over at IC:D .(they can still GTH!)

dynastydefender
02-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I am almost tearful and amazed at the same time. The tearful feeling because of all the love on the board tonight and yesterday with Jumbo's love thread, Klemnop's emotional return, our community embrace of Klem and the 2 polite, civil, respectful and rational UK posters who have kindly joined the board. Welcome! I am amazed because the 2 intelligent UK posters represent 2 more polite, civil, rational and intelligent posters than there are total over at IC:D .(they can still GTH!)
Well....it would be totally ignorant and wrong to try to argue that Duke doesn't have a well coached, talented, and successful team. And what gets me is that it is constant!!! UK had Pitino!!! We could have had that consistency! Plus Duke seems to be the only team in UNC's way this year!!

dynastydefender
02-09-2008, 12:41 AM

Kentank, Do you realize that if we keep posting we will eventually be All ACC? Does that sit well with you? :)

mus074
02-09-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm still waiting for him to get his other "T" for stepping on the UK Player! LOL

Welcome DD. As a resident of the Bluegrass State (wait, I thought we were a Commonwealth?!?), I share your general Cat pride. I was at Duke for the Game, when Laettner hit the Shot, and did get a T for the Stomp. You can look it up. :)

I personally wish Kentucky fans could realize they won the get even game in 98 on their way to the title, with an impossible 17-point come back. Duke unfortunately has cultivated a personna of games on both sides of the comeback coin. Could you imagine if UK fans had an air of superiority befitting the 7 NCAAs and winning the last meaningful showdown in this series? No, me neither.

dynastydefender
02-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Welcome DD. As a resident of the Bluegrass State (wait, I thought we were a Commonwealth?!?), I share your general Cat pride. I was at Duke for the Game, when Laettner hit the Shot, and did get a T for the Stomp. You can look it up. :)

I personally wish Kentucky fans could realize they won the get even game in 98 on their way to the title, with an impossible 17-point come back. Duke unfortunately has cultivated a personna of games on both sides of the comeback coin. Could you imagine if UK fans had an air of superiority befitting the 7 NCAAs and winning the last meaningful showdown in this series? No, me neither.
OH YES!!!! For some reason I associated a "T" with getting ejected from a game!!! I should know that! You are right and thanks for the welcome!!
I still have the Lexington Herald Headline Page after the 1998 Game: "A Shepard shall lead them"

How is Looavull tonight?

mus074
02-09-2008, 02:54 AM
OH YES!!!! For some reason I associated a "T" with getting ejected from a game!!! I should know that! You are right and thanks for the welcome!!
I still have the Lexington Herald Headline Page after the 1998 Game: "A Shepard shall lead them"

How is Looavull tonight?

I am not a big Louisville fan, for a few reasons, most of all being the arrogant, self-centered cult of personality at the helm. Who calls a press conference to tell the media he is not going to talk about his health condition? Anyway, the Cards are underrated and Georgetown is under-performing this season. Pomeroy gives Louisville a one-point edge in this one. The game will be tightly fought and should be a good barometer of both team's progress toward March success. Either team has a realistic shot of being an Elite 8 or Final Four rep for the Big East.

That said, I would not mind seeing either team in Duke's bracket next month. They are both good teams with their respective solid strengths, but neither looks the part of supreme ball-handler, which is the type team that will give Duke is biggest test. UNC with Lawson might well be Duke's biggest potential hurdle in the universe of possibilities. I think Memphis and Kansas would both be more vulnerable to Duke's perimeter pressure and passing lane picks.

dynastydefender
02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I am not a big Louisville fan, for a few reasons, most of all being the arrogant, self-centered cult of personality at the helm. Who calls a press conference to tell the media he is not going to talk about his health condition? Anyway, the Cards are underrated and Georgetown is under-performing this season. Pomeroy gives Louisville a one-point edge in this one. The game will be tightly fought and should be a good barometer of both team's progress toward March success. Either team has a realistic shot of being an Elite 8 or Final Four rep for the Big East.

That said, I would not mind seeing either team in Duke's bracket next month. They are both good teams with their respective solid strengths, but neither looks the part of supreme ball-handler, which is the type team that will give Duke is biggest test. UNC with Lawson might well be Duke's biggest potential hurdle in the universe of possibilities. I think Memphis and Kansas would both be more vulnerable to Duke's perimeter pressure and passing lane picks.
My friend if I had the power to have made Pitino stay at UK I would have done it.

I need to explain to everyone on here the "State of Kentucky Hierarchy of Support."

I rooted for Georgetown when they played UNC last year. In fact I picked G-Town to win the tourney. However I would root for Central City JUCO if they played against UNC!!