PDA

View Full Version : Nate James coaching?

trueblue
01-13-2008, 10:40 PM
At the game tonight, Nate had on a suit and was looking like a coach!! Hopefully, he'll take over the big man's coaching job and help lure some big men to Duke. Anybody know anything about that?

Ignatius07
01-13-2008, 10:42 PM
More to the point, what is his role exactly with the team?

VaDukie
01-13-2008, 10:53 PM
I saw him too; a little part of me dies that there was a chant for Giminski and not for Nate. It's funny to think that he was arguably the fan favorite when he played and know he's not recognizable. He had a sharp suit on though.

Anyone know what he was doing/have inside info./care to endlessly speculate?

Jumbo
01-13-2008, 10:54 PM
At the game tonight, Nate had on a suit and was looking like a coach!! Hopefully, he'll take over the big man's coaching job and help lure some big men to Duke. Anybody know anything about that?

Duke has an excellent coach who happens to work with the big men right now. Hopefully he won't be leaving anytime soon -- unless he gets a head coaching gig he wants.

dukie8
01-13-2008, 10:58 PM

i picked up my tickets right behind him at will-call for the pitt game so he was a lowly spectator like me in december.

JBDuke
01-13-2008, 10:59 PM

You've only got 6 posts under your belt, so I'll assume you don't know the history of this discussion on these boards. There have been several long, ugly discussions on this topic recently, but the result of all of them was that those who have a good understanding of Duke history and coaching and recruiting will tell you that Duke generally does a very good job of recruiting big men that will fit well at Duke and in Coach K's system, and that Wojo does a very good job of coaching them at it.

If you want to know more about this, I suggest you dig around in older threads about recruiting and big men. Look for threads with LOTS of replies.

As for this thread, I'm gonna delete posts that are related to big men recruiting/coaching. Discussion over what Nate was doing at the game and what role he might have at Duke will be allowed.

VaDukie
01-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Duke has an excellent coach who happens to work with the big men right now. Hopefully he won't be leaving anytime soon -- unless he gets a head coaching gig he wants.

Agreed, not to mention Nate wasn't a big man at Duke.

camion
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Maybe he's here to instruct badassness.

dukestheheat
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
seriously, i wish we could indeed channel James, Carrawell and Battier for the Carolina games this year. Three former Duke BADI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es, indeed.

dth.

Mike Corey
01-13-2008, 11:16 PM
For the time being, Nate James is a volunteer assistant coach...that may be changing soon, however.

:)

jimsumner
01-13-2008, 11:33 PM
There is a strong possibility that Mr. James will soon be employed by Duke University in a position involving the new basketball facility. Nothing official yet but the trend lines are pointing in that direction.

delfrio
01-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Maybe it's me, but I think Andre Buckner was more of a badass than Battier ever was. Unless you're talking about the mystical property of "badassness," which I could see Shane channeling in a more zen way.

dukemomLA
01-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Carrawell and Nate have done a great job with their summer camp. C.C. (with preggars wife) has just accepted a wonderful job at Duke. Nate deserves similar consideration if the fit is right.

Appaluse to Duke for honoring their own, and finding a way for their former athletes to fit in to system in whatever way is appropriate for each person.

The legacy continues. (In a GOOD way).

blazindw
01-14-2008, 07:00 AM
I saw him too; a little part of me dies that there was a chant for Giminski and not for Nate. It's funny to think that he was arguably the fan favorite when he played and know he's not recognizable.

No "Nate's a bad-^$%^$%^$%" chant?! Unrecognizable?! I think I'm going to the Clemson game next week...I'm going to the Cameron Crazies and I'ma learns them about the art of bad-assery and the godfather of it all.

BCGroup
01-14-2008, 07:53 AM
From the Charlotte Observer:
http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/445233.html

Former Duke forward Nate James was on the bench on Sunday. Coach Mike Krzyzewski said James is a candidate for a new position helping run Duke's soon-to-open practice facility. "He's as good a man as we have ever had around here," Krzyzewski said.

devildeac
01-14-2008, 08:56 AM
No "Nate's a bad-^$%^$%^$%" chant?! Unrecognizable?! I think I'm going to the Clemson game next week...I'm going to the Cameron Crazies and I'ma learns them about the art of bad-assery and the godfather of it all.

I will pass that info on to my daughter so next week-end, perhaps she can start the 'Nate's a Bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.' cheer:D

dukeENG2003
01-14-2008, 09:06 AM

There WAS a small "Na-ate Ja-ames" chant (at least they recognized him). His name totally doesn't work for that one though. I got a small group of grad students chanting "Nate's a bad#@", but it kinda died out quickly.

yancem
01-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Oh, how nice that would be! As much as Battier and JWill get all of the credit for Duke's NC in 2001, I think that James was the guy who pushed the team over the top. It is always good to have lunch pail/glue guy on the team. While Scheyer isn't a badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. like James, he's turning into that kind of player. King is another candidate as well.

MulletMan
01-14-2008, 09:29 AM

Simmer, Donald, simmer. We started it during 2nd half warm ups when Nate was just on the baseline while UVa was warming up. Nate didn't exactly acknowledge it, and the undergrads picked it up and changed it into thier ever creative "Play-ers Na-ame" clap-clap clap-clap-clap cheer. You know, the one they do for every player now? Oh wait... except for Demarcus, who get D-D-D-D-mark! Kind of like the old Du-Du-Du-Duhon! (Oh wait... I mean exactly like that.)

blazindw
01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Simmer, Donald, simmer. We started it during 2nd half warm ups when Nate was just on the baseline while UVa was warming up. Nate didn't exactly acknowledge it, and the undergrads picked it up and changed it into thier ever creative "Play-ers Na-ame" clap-clap clap-clap-clap cheer. You know, the one they do for every player now? Oh wait... except for Demarcus, who get D-D-D-D-mark! Kind of like the old Du-Du-Du-Duhon! (Oh wait... I mean exactly like that.)

We'll have to feed them some suggestions for player cheers instead of "Play-ers Na-ame"...when they force that for some names (like Nate James), it's sounds so bad, especially on tv. It screams "We could come up with something better, but we're lazy"

J, I'm 90% likely to be in the house for the Clemson game next weekend. If that remains the case, I'll be sure to walk over and say what's up.

MulletMan
01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
We'll have to feed them some suggestions for player cheers instead of "Play-ers Na-ame"...when they force that for some names (like Nate James), it's sounds so bad, especially on tv. It screams "We could come up with something better, but we're lazy"

J, I'm 90% likely to be in the house for the Clemson game next weekend. If that remains the case, I'll be sure to walk over and say what's up.

Sounds good. Also, we'll be headed to The Fed post game if you want to grab a beer.

365Duke
01-14-2008, 01:07 PM

There has been some talk of this, but I have not seen it yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KKAIlrkSZOg

It is perfect for Rollin' Nolan:D

The song/chant that is, not the video

Jessica5
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM

The undergrad crazies have been working toward having original player cheers for everyone on the team.

A lot of us did start Nate's real cheer for the last two home games, but some of the freshmen are apparently too young or too new-school to remember said amazing cheer and it didn't get terribly loud. He has waved in response though both times, if that gives any gauge to the strength of it.

We're trying to eliminate crowding and stretching of syllables to fit the standard "four-beat-cheer-thing" completely, but takes a few times to get the cheers loud. Note the "T.K. OOOOH" from the UVA game. We've been starting that since the beginning, but it finally got really loud last night.

Watch out for some strong new material at the Clemson game.

TillyGalore
01-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Any chance of getting on an email list to get the new material? Would love to know what the Crazies are saying. I try to figure it out but am not always successful. Did figure something out last night, but for the life of me can't recall what it was.

Jumbo
01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
The undergrad crazies have been working toward having original player cheers for everyone on the team.

A lot of us did start Nate's real cheer for the last two home games, but some of the freshmen are apparently too young or too new-school to remember said amazing cheer and it didn't get terribly loud. He has waved in response though both times, if that gives any gauge to the strength of it.

We're trying to eliminate crowding and stretching of syllables to fit the standard "four-beat-cheer-thing" completely, but takes a few times to get the cheers loud. Note the "T.K. OOOOH" from the UVA game. We've been starting that since the beginning, but it finally got really loud last night.

I'm still waiting for the call/response "Jon Scheyer"/"On Fire" and "Nolan's Rollin'!"

BCGroup
01-14-2008, 03:36 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=the_return_of_nate_james&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Any chance of getting on an email list to get the new material? Would love to know what the Crazies are saying. I try to figure it out but am not always successful. Did figure something out last night, but for the life of me can't recall what it was.

"Tuck your shirt in! Tuck your shirt in!"

TillyGalore
01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
"Tuck your shirt in! Tuck your shirt in!"

Mm, no I don't think so. But thanks for helping.

I don't even remember where in the game I heard and understood the chant. :(

rthomas
01-14-2008, 05:57 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=the_return_of_nate_james&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

A quote from the linked article, "Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said James still had a couple of requirements to fulfill to make it official."

At first read, it sounded to me (being a university prof) that it's requirements for graduation first, then the job. But, the other half of my brain seems to remember that Nate did graduate, so maybe it's simply going though (the antagonizingly slow and dreaded) human resources.

On the side, even at my age, I'll go through a Badass workout. Maybe Nate should put out some workout videos. I've got the ^$%^$%^$% part down; I just need the bad.

bjornolf
01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
The great part of this is that DBR was saying that Duke looked much tougher in the UVA game than in previous games and wondered why. HELLOOOO! Nate was in the building! Need I say more? He instills toughness into any duke player within 100 ft. of him purely through osmosis!

ArkieDukie
01-14-2008, 10:38 PM

The Nate Factor could've been quite helpful last year; I believe it was the missing ingredient on a very good team. I'd be more than happy if he instructed the current generation in the fine art of badassness. :)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Note the "T.K. OOOOH" from the UVA game. We've been starting that since the beginning, but it finally got really loud last night.

TK was asked during the interviews what that was all about and said he didn't know, but thought it was cool!

I saw the sign and also thought it was cool! Didn't hear the cheer though.

And yeah, "Nate's a badass" needs to be heard each game he's in the house.

bbar7502
01-14-2008, 11:27 PM
i still remember a game, can't recall the opponent, where mike dunleavy got tripped up and ran into one of nate's arms and he crumpled to the floor... nate just looked down at him as if someone had just threw a peice of paper at him....sign me up for weights with nate

lmb
01-15-2008, 12:53 PM
This has got to be my all-time favorite.

jacone21
01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
This has got to be my all-time favorite.

Mine too. After his struggles with injuries, redshirts, and "less than expected" success, it was just awesome to see him go out on top like that. He played such a key role on that team too. I've never been more happy for a player. The photographer caught that moment perfectly.