PDA

View Full Version : Talk about Home Court advantage...

dukediv2013
01-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Duke does not only Duke have an advantage at home because of the Cameron Crazies... It also has the advantage of Cameron's lack of A/C! Two Virginia players have cramped up already with 10 min left to go in the 2nd half.

Cameron seems to be rocking again! It is really loud on TV tonight... best effort of the year by the Crazies. 9F!

Kdogg
01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Duke does not only Duke have an advantage at home because of the Cameron Crazies... It also has the advantage of Cameron's lack of A/C! Two Virginia players have cramped up already with 10 min left to go in the 2nd half.

Cameron seems to be rocking again! It is really loud on TV tonight... best effort of the year by the Crazies. 9F!

Cameron has A/C. I don't know if they ever turn it on though.

dukestheheat
01-13-2008, 10:08 PM
dang guys, don't you know it COSTS TOO MUCH TO run the a/c?!

dth.

Lavabe
01-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Cameron has A/C. I don't know if they ever turn it on though.

Promote energy sustainability ... keep the AC off! ;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

NOTE: Please DO NOT make this a PPB thread.

billybreen
01-13-2008, 10:56 PM
I think the A/C only reaches as far as the old people upstairs.

jlear
01-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Heat rises and I will pay an extra $10 a game for some air upstairs...and respect your elders! :)

DukeFencer
01-13-2008, 11:03 PM
After they put it in a couple of years ago, there was a noticeable difference. I know there have been a number of notes from the Crazies this year noting the difference in temperature from last, though.

LetItBD08
01-14-2008, 12:26 AM
It's really noticeable in the student section. It's a lot hotter this year than previous years. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2008, 12:54 AM

Old Folks???? Honey, you don't know hot in Cameron! The air was moving some tonight, but wasn't doing the job. As for cooling the "old folks," all us season ticket holders (many of us the original Cameron Crazies) paid a surtax on our tickets for a while to get the AC paid for. Your comment suggests you were cutting your science classes when this was covered. Not only does hot air rise, cold air falls.

Turtleboy
01-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Your comment suggests you were cutting your science classes when this was covered. Not only does hot air rise, cold air falls.And cast iron sinks.

devildeac
01-14-2008, 08:37 AM
And cast iron sinks.

No, stainless steel sinks...

And, just to keep it on the main board, it was quite warm in CIS last PM.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
No, stainless steel sinks...

And, just to keep it on the main board, it was quite warm in CIS last PM.

The heat in Cameron has been noticeable for several home games, sometimes little or no air movement at all. Anyone know why? Surely the AC units aren't out of warranty !!!!

jimsumner
01-14-2008, 09:55 AM
"I think the A/C only reaches as far as the old people upstairs."

Actually, the higher you go in CIS, the hotter it gets. Hot air rising and all that.

Put 9300 people in Cameron. Add TV lights and lots of activity. I don't think they make an A/C system strong enough for that.

FWIW, the climate control system was primarily put in for practices and classes not games.

FWIW2, after the game Leitao said that Baker had been having problems with cramps going back to high school. Several other players have a history of cramps. It did not offer an opinion as to why this occurred.

bird
01-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I noticed Henderson, King, and others hydrating during warmups at about 10-15 minutes before the tip. I didn't see any similar efforts from Virginia players. Very little is left to chance in Dukeville.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2008, 10:27 AM

Actually, the higher you go in CIS, the hotter it gets. Hot air rising and all that.

Put 9300 people in Cameron. Add TV lights and lots of activity. I don't think they make an A/C system strong enough for that.

FWIW, the climate control system was primarily put in for practices and classes not games.

FWIW2, after the game Leitao said that Baker had been having problems with cramps going back to high school. Several other players have a history of cramps. It did not offer an opinion as to why this occurred.

The system was adequate for several seasons, TV lights and all. This year the temperature during games seems to headed back to BAC (before AC). In fact, it seemed noticeably hotter last night than the week before. Any thoughts about why it's warmer this year? Is this evidence global warming at Duke?

fogey
01-14-2008, 10:37 AM
The system was adequate for several seasons, TV lights and all. This year the temperature during games seems to headed back to BAC (before AC). In fact, it seemed noticeably hotter last night than the week before. Any thoughts about why it's warmer this year? Is this evidence global warming at Duke?
Hardly. But the crazies going nuts and generating MUCH more energy (and heat) in our first ACC game surely contributed to the heat.

bjornolf
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
As my AC guy noted when my AC broke down last summer, the reason it takes so long and so much work to cool a building that is hot is that everything soaks up heat, the furniture, the walls, the people. The AC doesn't just have to cool the air, it has to cool everything before a person notices a temperature drop. Thus, if the day is warmer (I don't know the weather in Durham lately, but it's been pretty warm in DC for January), the building itself is warmer, not just the air in the building. Further, if it WAS cold last night (<50), they might not have wanted to run the AC as that's hard on it. Depending on the type of unit they bought, the refrigerant could liquify, which could destroy the condenser if it's working hard and it's the wrong type. Combine warm day to warm the building with cold night to keep the AC off, stuff a ton of bouncing, screaming people in there, and poof, hot and wet. Not to mention, if it WAS cold yesterday, they could have been running the heat in the offices for anyone that might have been working during the day, thus creating a warmer atmosphere before the game started, assuming there is a heater, of course.

billybreen
01-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Apologies. Natural Sciences was the area of knowledge that I opted to skip, so my understanding of physics is shaky at best. ;)

I was working on the assumption that the cold air entered Cameron from the upper decks. On its way to the ground, it cools those it passes by first. By the time it reaches the ground, it's just warm air that smells like old people.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Apologies. Natural Sciences was the area of knowledge that I opted to skip, so my understanding of physics is shaky at best. ;)

I was working on the assumption that the cold air entered Cameron from the upper decks. On its way to the ground, it cools those it passes by first. By the time it reaches the ground, it's just warm air that smells like old people.

And what do "old people" in Cameron smell like?

billybreen
01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
And what do "old people" in Cameron smell like?

Heaven?

Sorry, I was being tongue in cheek with both that remark and the complaint about old people in a previous post. As one who is closer in age to the "old people" than the students, chalk this up to my jealousy of season ticket holders.

bjornolf
01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
By the time it reaches the ground, it's just warm air that smells like old people.

Wow, that's just BRUTAL. Kudos for the burn, man. I don't want to laugh, but I just can't help it. :cool:

dukepsy1963
01-14-2008, 11:27 AM
I used to tell my students when we were studying gerontological issues, that if they are "lucky," they might live to become an old person......:)

I suspect that most did not hear me though because of 65+ year-old hearing at 18 because of too much sustained 100+ db sounds!

Be careful with sounds....the damage is permanent!!! :(

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2008, 11:39 AM
As my AC guy noted when my AC broke down last summer, the reason it takes so long and so much work to cool a building that is hot is that everything soaks up heat, the furniture, the walls, the people. The AC doesn't just have to cool the air, it has to cool everything before a person notices a temperature drop. Thus, if the day is warmer (I don't know the weather in Durham lately, but it's been pretty warm in DC for January), the building itself is warmer, not just the air in the building. Further, if it WAS cold last night (<50), they might not have wanted to run the AC as that's hard on it. Depending on the type of unit they bought, the refrigerant could liquify, which could destroy the condenser if it's working hard and it's the wrong type. Combine warm day to warm the building with cold night to keep the AC off, stuff a ton of bouncing, screaming people in there, and poof, hot and wet. Not to mention, if it WAS cold yesterday, they could have been running the heat in the offices for anyone that might have been working during the day, thus creating a warmer atmosphere before the game started, assuming there is a heater, of course.

You have listed a number of factors which may contribute to why Cameron feels hotter this season. I learned about dealing with such stuff first hand as a public school principal for many years. I suspect that the controls and systems are sophisticated enough to allow for dealing with the very different conditions in offices as opposed to a large space like the arena itself. Systems age and may gradually lose efficiency and eventually fail. Determining when to start up a system to prepare for use of a large space is a matter of judgment and experience. The past two games the building has felt like the systems weren't started soon enough. (I'm there at least an hour ahead of tip off.) As to whether it's possible to cool a building like Cameron.... it was working in recent past seasons. If you've ever attended a game in the Dean Dome you know that large spaces can be cooled quite efficiently!

I'd also note that water pressure seems reduced in the restrooms (a conservation response to drought?) and that last night the light fixtures in the women's restrooms (didn't inspect any men's restrooms) were lit with only two florescent tubes each, rather than the number each could accommodate. Are these conservation measures?

The last thing I'll say about this dead horse is that it's been a while since Cameron was renovated. A renovation project may be on the horizon.

diesel
01-14-2008, 03:10 PM
In the mid 1960’s as a foreign student in the Crazies section, I remember wishing I could wear a T shirt and shorts to the games in CIS. The game-time temperature must have been between 90-100F. Just the thought of getting pneumonia going home dressed like this in the depths of an NC winter dissuaded me from this course of action.

More to the point, as someone who has occasionally had leg cramps throughout life, what causes the problem? What is the common factor that causes three visitors to go down-- in obviously more pain than I ever had?