PDA

View Full Version : How long will Kyle stay?

Bluedawg
01-13-2008, 02:58 PM
After Duke beat Albany on Dec. 17, Albany coach Will Brown stepped to the mike and said, "Mike [Krzyzewski] probably doesn't want to hear this, but [Kyle] Singler, he's a first-round draft pick right now." now." The 2007 McDonald's All-American out of South Medford (Ore.) High was flattered by the remark. Still, only 13 games into his first season at Duke, Singler's not thinking about leaving just yet.

"I'll definitely come back [to Duke] for another year, but there's no [NBA] plan," he said.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/877462.html

Will Kyle stay 1,2 or 4 years at Duke? What are the odds he will jump ship?

Flyers52
01-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I hope four years! But realistically, Kyle isn't NBA ready yet. He needs ATLEAST one or two more years. He isn't as much of a force as Elton was during his days, where it was most likely Brand wasn't going to stay for four years.
Singler needs more time to develop, and I hope he stays the course that K has laid out for him. And after his four years are through, I hope he looks back on a SUCCESSFUL Duke career with many personal accomplishments, and NCAA Championships!!

Bob Green
01-13-2008, 03:13 PM
What is accomplished by this board discussing your question? On the eve of our ACC opener, I prefer to discuss Kyle's development as a collegiate ball player, or his chances of winning ACC Freshman of the Year honors. Kyle has stated he is coming back so your question can what until mid-April 2009.

Bluedawg
01-13-2008, 03:22 PM
What is accomplished by this board discussing your question? On the eve of our ACC opener, I prefer to discuss Kyle's development as a collegiate ball player, or his chances of winning ACC Freshman of the Year honors. Kyle has stated he is coming back so your question can what until mid-April 2009.

It's a discussion based on an article in today’s News and Observer. Being it today's news makes it relevant.

dukestheheat
01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I honestly do feel that Singler is ready for the pros now; I felt this way probably about the time that Albany coach Will Brown made this comment that's highlighted in the article in the N and O.

He's taken a few lesser steps since those early-season days, and possibly shown a little of the freshman jitters, but below what we can see is a warrior who's physically ready to make the leap, but I sure don't want him to do it. I also felt that Tyler Hansbrough was ready for the L right after his freshman year.

Many elite players today probably would not even go to college if it were not for the one-year 'ya gotta go to college' rule; I count Singler as one of the nation's elite players and a step, currently, below the Love/Gordon level of player. Kyle would be picked late to latter first round this after one year at Duke, based on what we've seen, in my opinion.

My take on the pros and the flight from the college game is this: whether a player stays one year or two, we need to be thankful to have had the chance to watch that player play and never be surprised again (I was floored when Brand, Avery et. al. left like they did, I will admit) that anyone is going to do this. The elite players of today really don't want to go to college and stay four full years, let's face it. They are going to chase the millions of dollars wiggled at them and I can't blame them.

Parity has come into the college game by the pressure exerted on it by the pros; many other college programs today have the League to thank for helping them gain parity with Duke. Think of the additional national championships Duke would have if all players were required to a) come to college right out of high school and b) no one could go pro without spending four years in college first.

More than any school in the college game, Duke has taken it by the short hairs when it comes to losing elite players to the pro game.

dth.

Bob Green
01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Being it today's news makes it relevant.

I consider about 51% of the content of any newspaper irrelevant.

Dukefan4Life
01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
I would like to see him stay the full for years, but as we all know that probably wont be the case. I just read the article that says "I"ll be back for another year" that tells me next year could be his last, but thats just MO

DukeHoopsGuru
01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Neither Singler nor Henderson is ready. Henderson needs to work on his ball handling big time to be an NBA 2.

Dukefan4Life
01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I agree, i think Hendo could use one more year

jimsumner
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Kyle's attraction to the NBA was a very small part of the N&O article. I've heard absolutely nothing to suggest that Kyle is even remotely considering going to the NBA following this season. I would be pleasantly surprised to get four years from Kyle but wouldn't be surprised to see three.

And yes, I'd rather concern myself with tonight and next week and next month and March.

ugadevil
01-13-2008, 03:52 PM
This situation reminds me of when J.J. was playing and someone from the Roanoke paper did an article about him. They asked if he would leave Duke early to play pro (possibly after his 2nd year?), and I remember Redick saying he'd do it...if he wanted to go play in Europe.

MChambers
01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
In 1999, when we had three early departures, some reporter asked Chris if he was going to leave. He said something like "where am I going to go?".
I think Kyle, in contrast, would be a first-round pick this year, but I'm glad he realizes that he can benefit from more time at Duke. I hope it is four years, but I'll respect whatever choice he makes.

SMO
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Will Kyle stay 1,2 or 4 years at Duke? What are the odds he will jump ship?

I think it's a good question. My guess is 3 years for both he and Henderson. This may be one way in which McRoberts' departure helps Duke (it encourages others to not make the same mistake). I'd be so excited to see seniors Scheyer, LT, and Zoubs with juniors Singler, King, and Smith plus the commits we have coming in. If Henderson is still around by then even better.

For now, I'll enjoy the moment...in 2 hours and 20 minutes.

dukemomLA
01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
I predict 3 years, (but what do I know....). I think he wants to graduate -- and he can do that within 3. Let's HOPE I'm right -- or if wrong, let's make it FOUR.