PDA

View Full Version : Will we recognize this Duke team?

dockfan
03-12-2007, 11:14 AM
It will be a looooooong time between games for our guys. We've only played one game from March 4 until Thursday. That means a lot of practice time - time to rest up, get recharged, work on the defense, etc., and maybe change the team's entire approach.

Will Coach K "turn them loose," as I have been hoping for? Let the kids run, trap, and push the ball, and (gasp!) even make a few mistakes in transition? Use the team's underrated depth?

Will Coach K unveil a big lineup with Zoubek (who has gotten noticeably stronger) and McRoberts on the floor more often?

What about that 1-3-1 zone with Lance up top? Will K unleash that?

My point is: there are so many options, and really nothing to lose. Most pundits are overlooking this team, and I worry that many Duke fans are as well.

But our guys are young, athletic, versatile, and full of enthusiasm and pride in wearing "DUKE" across their chest.

And when was the last time we had a team this healthy (knock on wood) heading into the NCAA tournament?? I can't recall.

I can't wait to get started. Next play = VCU.

Go Duke!!!

Troublemaker
03-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Get ready for smallball, imo. Henderson at the 4.

JasonEvans
03-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Get ready for smallball, imo. Henderson at the 4.

Yup, I think we'll see Duke go small a lot against VSU, a team that thrives on quickness and not size. On the other hand, I would not be shocked to see try to burn them with our size, at least occassionally in the first half.

However, should we get past VCU and face, as expected, Pitt in the second round, I think you can pretty much guarantee that we'll see more size from Duke. I am looking forward to seeing Zoubek at least get a shot to guard Gray.

-Jason "I like our draw-- not the best but not so bad either" Evans

CMS2478
03-12-2007, 11:53 AM
See I was wondering how a moderator and veteran poster such as yourself could have made the mistake of calling our first round opponent VSU instead of VCU. ;) But then in your second paragraph you straightened it out......just keeping you on your toes. :D

By the way good to hear from you again Jason.

dukelion
03-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson, Hendo, and McBob is the way I see it from here on in.

VCU certainly plays a lot of small ball so the line up should match up well especially with Marty and McClure of the bench for depth.

And if McBob does get into foul trouble I would love to see Zoubek get touches against VCU's 6'7 center.

I hate to look past VCU but..........Pitt also doesn't have a ton of size either.....outside of Gray of course.

Levon Kendal (6'9) starts at the 4 spot but he is essentially Pitt's David McClure. He rarely shoots and is in there more for defense and rebounding.

Again look for Hendo to get major minutes at the 4 spot.

Pitt also plays at a tempo that suits Duke which should gurantee a close game throughout.