PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Study

Lavabe
01-12-2008, 11:31 AM
I am unsure what to make of this, but the NCAA released a study of its student athletes (including over 1600 football players), and the time they spend in class vs. in sport:
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/01/12/ncaaburst_0113.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Two things that I wonder:
1) Do any of the former athletes on the board have feelings about this study? Specifically, do these figures match what you observed?
2) What effects will there be on the running of college sports?

Thanks,
Lavabe

Duke09
01-12-2008, 12:43 PM
20 is the NCAA max. And most teams are right near the max. But the number gets enlarged when you travel. While some games/meets/matches are on Saturday, its still 4-10 hour drives, plus over night stay, plus the ride back.

kmspeaks
01-12-2008, 03:22 PM
As a current division II softball player i feel that these numbers are fairly accurate. Travel really does up the numbers, especially in sports where you play more than once a week or even several times in a weekend. Take baseball and softball for an example, when traveling for a weekend series you leave school Friday afternoon and don't return until Sunday evening. That's over 48 hours right there.

Here's an example of our typical week in season, just counting time on the field.

Monday- usually a day off after a weekend series 0 hours
Tuesday- Practice 3 hours
Wednesday- double header, including warm up time 5 hours
Thursday- Practice 3 hours
Friday- light practice 2 hours
Saturday- double header, including warm up time 5 hours
Sunday- double header, including warm up time 5 hours

That's a total of 23 hours not including travel, time spent in the training room, or any weight training. Average travel time for a weekend is somewhere between 10 and 15 hours driving time add in an hour or two to stop for food and gas. Then maybe 4 or 5 hours in the training room and another 3 to 5 in the weight room and you're looking at 40 to 48 hours a week.

As far as what effects there will be on the running of college sports I'd say little to nothing. Even if the NCAA decided to crack down on enforcement or even lower that number of hours they'd be hard pressed to take away the loophole of "voluntary" or "captain's" practice.

grad_devil
01-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm at the NCAA convention, and just returned from a full day of sessions, one of which discussed the research you mention! What a coincidence!

The NCAA principal research scientist mentioned that this data would be further developed and submitted to the NCAA, as well as to scholarly journals.

All in all, some interesting data and results were presented!

--grad_devil

Lavabe
01-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I teach at a Division III school, and have had loads of student-athletes over the years (no football here). I've noticed that some of the new teaching technologies (e.g., web-based class portal use such as Blackboard, podcasting) really seem to cut down on the trouble that athletes would otherwise experience. The athletes whom I had last semester were able to follow closely with the class. They have their iPod or laptop, and they can follow. Do these technologies seem to help cut down on the issues posed in the report?

Thanks,
Lavabe

billybreen
01-12-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm at the NCAA convention, and just returned from a full day of sessions, one of which discussed the research you mention! What a coincidence!

The NCAA principal research scientist mentioned that this data would be further developed and submitted to the NCAA, as well as to scholarly journals.

All in all, some interesting data and results were presented!

--grad_devil

Interesting. In what capacity are you there?