PDA

View Full Version : Women Play FL State - 7:00 - FSN TV

Indoor66
01-11-2008, 06:24 PM
The game is at Cameron and will be on FSN (Fox Sports Network) at 7:00.

Turtleboy
01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
The game is at Cameron and will be on FSN (Fox Sports Network) at 7:00.Thanks! That is not listed on the schedule in the header. I would have missed it.

jimsumner
01-11-2008, 10:40 PM
In case you missed it Duke easily handled a depleted FSU team 70-38. Fewest points allowed to an ACC team since 1995. Duke's solid D was a large part of this but it's hard to take to much credit against a team that shot 5-20 from the foul line. No that's not a typo. FSU's leading scorer had eight points.

FSU never led. It was last close at 21-15 but Duke finished the first half on a 15-3 run.

Duke didn't have any offense from outside. 9-19 from the field, only one three (last minute by Emily W), Nish was 0-9 from the field and scored 1 point, while Abby was 2-12 and scored 5.

But Duke forced 25 turnovers, hit the boards, and scored a lot inside. Chante dominated, with 19 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks, Gay had 7 rebounds and 7 steals, and Christmas had 8 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 steals.

One scare in the first half when KJ went down and had to be helped off. Turned out to be a minor knee tweak and she played after intermission. Bridgette Mitchell made a strong argument for PT with 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists.

FWIW, Sue Semrau said it had been a long time since she had been that embarrassed.

Duke will have to shoot better to win their next one, however, a lot better.

jimsumner
01-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Make that 9-19 from the line.

Jim3k
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Out here it was on one of the Fox upper level stations, FCS, not FSN. Without the upper level Fox channels, it was probably not available in at least half of the country.

The game itself was never in doubt, and the Duke defense really took a toll. Moreover, Duke played 11 players, all of whom were in for more than 10 minutes. Taht undoubtedly wore FSU out, given the game's fast pace.

Maybe the pace was the reason Duke's shooting percentage was pretty low, about 43% from the floor. There were tons of missed layups and inside finishes. That was disturbing. Also a problem was the lack of 3 pt shooting. It seems to me that Abby, in particular, is struggling there. Most, important, though is the 9-19 FTs that Jim mentioned. That is an Achilles heel if ever there was one.

One thing I liked a lot was Bridgette Mitchell's aggressiveness and alertness. Abby threw her a pass under the bucket that was very difficult. Bridgette was ready and turned it into an easy two. But she was tough everywhere. This kid deserves more minutes.

Also, Jasmine, at moments reminded me a little of Lindsey, flashing forward with the ball at very good speed. There's a lot of potential there, but she did take an ill-advised, off-balance, shot that missed and was rebounded by the 'Noles. Had she been more patient, she could have found someone or even been able to set her feet.

Poor Nish didn't score and Abby only had 2 FGs. Had those two had better days, it would have been worse. Still, the team runs well with them in the lineup. Abby had 4 assists and Nish 2. The team as a whole had 17. The box credits Nish with only 4 rebs, but I thought she had more.

I can't say they played really well. The shooting and FTs alone would bar that. Still, it was a positive and the team seems to be gelling very well.

Maybe I missed something, but what's happened to Brittany Mitch? She didn't play. Anyone know why not?

watzone
01-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Here is my take (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog) on the game and a small photo gallery. The Devil is jumping off press row in front of Jim Sumner in one pick;)

Mitch is injured at the moment.

jimsumner
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Brittany Mitch hyper-extended her right knee in practice earlier in the week. Day-to-day.

devildeac
01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Make that 9-19 from the line.

Have they been learning from the men?:( (last game notwithstanding-hope the guys trend continues)

dukemomLA
01-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Does anyone know what was the attendance? Last game at Cameron yielded over 5,500 folk. YEAH!! Stats on FlaSt?

TillyGalore
01-12-2008, 08:23 AM
only one three (last minute by Emily W)

Was it me or was she in Chapel Hell when she shot the ball? Man that was beautiful!

Almost didn't go to the game as I was working late. But, am so glad I did, even if I missed the first 10 mins. The game was awesome, the crowd was awesome. Yeah, really glad I went.

jimsumner
01-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Annouced attendance was 5716.

As for Emily's three, that kept alive a streak of games with consecutive threes that now stands at 97. And yes, she was maybe six inches from being out of bounds.

jimsumner
01-12-2008, 11:15 AM
"Here is my take on the game and a small photo gallery."

Anybody else notice how many pictures Mark takes of cheerleaders? :)

gadzooks
01-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Maybe the pace was the reason Duke's shooting percentage was pretty low, about 43% from the floor. There were tons of missed layups and inside finishes. That was disturbing. Also a problem was the lack of 3 pt shooting. It seems to me that Abby, in particular, is struggling there. Most, important, though is the 9-19 FTs that Jim mentioned. That is an Achilles heel if ever there was one.
<snip>
I can't say they played really well. The shooting and FTs alone would bar that. Still, it was a positive and the team seems to be gelling very well.I agree; the defensive play was great, but I'm very concerned about the generally poor offense in this game. They need to get better real quick if they don't want Maryland to wipe the floor with them. I'm definitely distressed by Abby and Nish both having such poor shooting nights; hopefully they were just having an off game and will bounce back for Monday night.

Amazing game for Chante--yeah! She really looked like she was having fun at several points; I really enjoyed seeing that. This team is really good, so I hope they can work out whatever kinks are giving them trouble.

jimsumner
01-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Nish and Abby had different kind of bad shooting nights. Abby had good looks and just couldn't hit anything. Nish just took some bad shots. I'm not sure which is more bothersome.