03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I too send my condolences and prayers.

CMS2478
03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
My prayers are with you.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Heartfelt condolences Julio.

As for your request "We haven’t decided on what to do in lieu of flowers, but one gesture I know she would appreciate: raise your fist in the general direction of Chapel Hill and say: this one’s for you Liz - Go To Hell, Carolina, Go To Hell!", this is taken care of. Repeatedly.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm so sorry.
Love, Ima

BlueDevilBaby
03-12-2007, 10:58 AM
My condolences to you and your family. And for you Dr. King, 9F9F9F9F9F, ad infinitum!

Madrasdukie
03-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Here's hoping that the tons of great memories that you seem to have of your mother help you endure this tough moement in your life.

sanhew
03-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Julio:

Thank you for sharing the loss of your mother through such an uplifting, inspiring piece. Your mother was obviously a very talented and special person who touched a great many people. It's clear where your devotion to Duke basketball comes from. The apple has not fallen far from the tree.

My heartfelt sympathies to you and your familiy for your loss.

DukeBlood
03-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Im sorry to, My heart goes out to your family.

dukepsy1963
03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
What a wonderful tribute to your mom....my condolences to you and your family.

Go to hell Carolina......

BluBones
03-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I LOVE the name of this forum. Kind of like Coach K Court!

patentgeek
03-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Heartfelt sympathy in your time of loss. It sounds as though your mother was an amazing and wonderful woman. I will think of her as I 9F as long as necessary throughout the upcoming tournament.

Cameron
03-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Prayers from Ohio.

The Elizabeth King Forum... What a special tribute to your mother. I'm sure she is looking down with pride right now. May she live an eternity of happiness.

Son of Jarhead
03-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Julio, I am so very sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful person. You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers. In heaven now, your mom need not worry about running into any tarheels, as we know they are all in Hell. After all, we've been telling them to go there for years...
Go to Hell, Carolina! Go to Hell!

onepresent
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
The loss of a parent is one that time is slow to heal. I know it's cliche, but they do live on in our minds and hearts.

I lost my Dad about ten years ago. But to this day, whenever I laugh, I hear my Dad laugh. Whenever I'm in a tough situation, I feel my Dad is there. I'm sure you will find times when your mom is still by your side. Just as she always was.

ikiru36
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Julio,

Heartfelt condolences. Thank you for sharing beautiful thoughts and photos of a special Duke fan, a special person and wonderful mother. And you continue to do her honor through your service to the Duke community (and in countless other ways as well, no doubt), helping many of us to feel that much more a family (of misfits, perhaps) united by our mutual love and respect for all that is special about Duke and Durham.

Graciously,
Ted S. (T'94)

FewFAC
03-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Julio,

No matter how much we prepare ourselves for the inevitable, nothing can change the pain. All the best as you navigate a difficult journey.

Few

Virginian
03-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for sharing her story.

Dunkin
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
We are so sad to hear of your loss. Please accept our condolences. What a great Duke fan she was and the tribute was wionderful. Here's another 9F in her honor.

Prayers from Dunkin.

captmojo
03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
The loss of a parent is never easy, I have experience. The old saying that time is a healer is not true but it is a great medicine. You have wonderful memories we are honored that you have shared. go to hell carolina-go to hell

imagepro
03-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Know that we all will ask God to comfort you in these most difficult of times. Cherish the memories and smile Julian. That is what your mother would want you to do. It's difficlut, as I know from experience, but it is what she would want.

Best Regards- My from entire family...

365Duke
03-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Our prayers are with you and your family.

vabluedevil
03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.

Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell....

Kewlswim
03-12-2007, 05:08 PM
you're family is in our prayers.

Hi,

You're family is in my prayers too.

GO DUKE!

And for your Mom: Go to Hell Carolina, Go To Hell.

vango
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Deepest sympathies to you and your family. We all get to that point in life where we have to say good-bye to those who have been with us our entire life. Your time has come. Mine is coming and I anticipate it with dread.

I heard recently a comment by Tony Dungy who said that a person asked him about the death of his son and in an effort to console him said, "...with all that you know, or can imagine, about the place where he is now, would you take him back and keep him from the beautiful and peaceful place that he now enjoys?"

Some comfort in that I think.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Julio,
My departed grandmother was probably screaming from the other side of the court at your mom back in the old days of the Dixie Classic as a UNC fan. The stories she told of those Dixie Classic days and how much passion there was from all sides really got me interested in following ACC hoops as a kid. Some of my fondest memories of her are remembering how animated she would get when telling some of those game stories.
Your mom sounded like a special person through your words, and you have a lot to be proud of, as did she. Keep your head up and celebrate her life, I bet she would want it that way.

My sympathies,
Wheat/"/"/"

ehdg
03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Julio,

Very sorry to hear about your mom. My deepest sympathy and as you said in the write up, which btw was excellent, it's always hard losing one's mom. May you have remember all the good times you shared with her and carry her memory with you!!

ehdg

socaldukie
03-12-2007, 06:58 PM
What a wonderful woman. You should be very proud. Thank you for sharing your story. God bless.

When John Wooden's wife passed away he comforted himself with a poem entitled, "Miss me, But let me go." Here it is:

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room
-- Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little, but not too long.
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared.
-- Miss me, but let me go.
For this is a journey we all must take,
And each must go alone.
It`s all a part of the Master`s plan,
-- A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart,
Go to friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
-- Miss me, but let me go!
(Author unknown)

Troublemaker
03-12-2007, 07:07 PM
You got my prayers, too, Julio. Thanks for sharing.

DU82
03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
JD,

Sometime early last season (~Oct '05) somebody started a thread regarding how many arenas had you watched Duke play. It started with around 12, somebody else with 22, and then your brother with 46. He mentioned that the "mother of all lists" would come soon. I was able to get a list of Duke games from 1954 (thank you, Charlie Board) and Liz and I sat at the Florida State football game after the Blue-White game last year to come up with her list. (It was her last football game in Duke Stadium; the first, if I recall her conversations correctly, was the Rose Bowl.) It was sixty-four arenas long (appropriate for basketball, for sure!) That included three evil arenas in Chapel Hill, two in Winston-Salem for Wake Forest, one IN Wake Forest, two Madison Square Gardens, and so on.

At the same time, I was able to calculate the number of home games since the beginning of the 1960-61 season. Adding the last two seasons, through this year's Temple game, I came up with the following...

622 home games
528-94 record
.849 winning percentage

JD

3rd Dukie
03-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Julio,

What a tribute! You and your Mother were both fortunate to have had each other. One line that caught my eye was the reference about basketball not being a lot of fun right now. I lost my brother in November of 2005. He was Trinity, '65, and we always loved the beginning of hoops season so we could stop our grieving over the Braves' latest collapse. We are from Atlanta. After his passing, I found myself much less interested in things like sports. It was as though I looked at those things with an entirely different lens and from a different perspective. After losing my older brother, I'll never cry about a sporting outcome.
May the Good Lord be with you, if you don't object, and you and your family are certainly in our prayers.
Be well, my friend.

Tim Anderson

-jk
03-12-2007, 10:52 PM
JD,

Sometime early last season (~Oct '05) somebody started a thread regarding how many arenas had you watched Duke play. It started with around 12, somebody else with 22, and then your brother with 46. He mentioned that the "mother of all lists" would come soon. I was able to get a list of Duke games from 1954 (thank you, Charlie Board) and Liz and I sat at the Florida State football game after the Blue-White game last year to come up with her list. (It was her last football game in Duke Stadium; the first, if I recall her conversations correctly, was the Rose Bowl.) It was sixty-four arenas long (appropriate for basketball, for sure!) That included three evil arenas in Chapel Hill, two in Winston-Salem for Wake Forest, one IN Wake Forest, two Madison Square Gardens, and so on.

At the same time, I was able to calculate the number of home games since the beginning of the 1960-61 season. Adding the last two seasons, through this year's Temple game, I came up with the following...

622 home games
528-94 record
.849 winning percentage

JD

Thanks for the memory, Jim. It was a lot of fun working on those lists - not just the writing them down, but the going to the arenas themselves. There were a couple of seasons where she made every single game, home and away!

One of the more amusing trips: we were waiting outside the Princeton gym, and my mother noticed that Princeton's dressing room had clear windows to the outside. She was very perceptive in many ways. ;)

-jk

dyedwab
03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
My condolences to you and your family. You are in my prayers

ou_dukie
03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I am a long time lurker here and I have occasionally posted here under different names. I greatly appreciate your site. I am sorry to hear about your loss. May you be comforted by the thought that your mother spirit lives through you and that through your website her influence continues.

Godspeed

ricks68
03-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Julio,

My sincere and heartfelt condolences.

ricks

mjones723
03-13-2007, 12:37 AM
My thoughts are with you. What a lady!

SeattleIrish
03-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Sounds like an amazing woman who lived a life in full. Julio's love for his mom (and family) is obvious - they are a blessed family.

My thoughts are with you and your's.

s.i.

Johnboy
03-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for sharing your great tribute to a wonderful woman. You and your family are in my prayers. I like the new forum name.

GTHC!

Johnboy

william e king
03-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mother. I personally did not know her (nor am I related) but I knew her parents and your grandparents well. I also feel like I know you because of your obvious love of Duke University and the quality and care you put into DBR. I see three generations of a remarkable Hart/King family at work here and the larger Duke family is enriched and appreciative. I know you are thrilled to see the Hart house once again a center of campus life as the new president's home and one functioning again in the gracious manner of Mary Hart. Thank you for sharing family pictures, especially the one of your mother and cousins at the Hart house. A previous poster said "The apple did not fall far from the tree." I agree wholeheartedly. Sincerely, William E. King

CathyCA
03-13-2007, 08:36 PM
JK, your tribute to your mother was a beautiful testament to the special bond that the two of you shared. May you be buoyed by your mom's love in the days and weeks ahead.

AluminumDuke
03-13-2007, 08:57 PM
I never had the privilege of knowing your mother, but after reading your tribute to her I feel that not having had that opportunity was a great loss. She was clearly an amazing person and I extend my sincere sympathy to you and your family in this saddening time. Thank you for allowing the DBR community to share in the celebration of her life. I feel confident that she is very proud of her family.

summerwind03
03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I knew Liz for 20 years and she was a wonderful Duke fan and an even more wonderful person. I'll miss her very much.

Not only did she keep score for every game, but she also listed the officials in her book. When she wasn't able to identify the officials, she noted they were "Larry, Curly and Moe"! When she was unhappy with the work of the officials, she would let them know what she thought often in quite colorful language, sometimes even telling them so in person after the game as they left the locker room. I remember that she particularly was annoyed by Lenny Wirtz, especially in his later days, and Dick Paparo.

Dr Liz, you'll be missed. GTHCGTH!

DU82
03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Liz would never do anything so unrefined as writing down "Moe, Larry, Curley" in her book.

It was always entered "Howard, Fine, Howard"

(She always figured that twenty years from now, somebody would look at her scorebooks and wonder why this guy Howard ref'd so many Duke games!)