PDA

View Full Version : recruits

devilsfan231
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
with nelson to ucla i don't see any bright spots for our class no high interest players boynton looks like our stud go to recruit. do we have a shot at painter or mcdonald? with echenique offered do any of you see fitzgerald getting a offer?also looks like murphy will go otherwise.

jimsumner
01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Is this for real? No high-interest players? Boynton, Echenique, Murphy, Painter, Vinson, and McDonald aren't high-interest players?

FWIW, Duke figured out that Nelson wasn't leaving the west coast over the summer. Why the angst? Guess, this goes back to my first question?

devilsfan231
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
no they are all medium except for murphy who also has about 6 other teams you have alot of denial. just because they like duke doesn't mean they are high interest

Indoor66
01-10-2008, 04:39 PM
no they are all medium except for murphy who also has about 6 other teams you have alot of denial. just because they like duke doesn't mean they are high interest

Who would you like Duke to pursue?

vango
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Oddly, I was just about to ask a question on this topic for 2009. My office next-door-neighbor is a UNC fan and we were discussing their recruiting accomplishments as of late. It is my understanding that:

We've offered (but no commitments thus far):

Kenny Boynton
Deshawn Painter
Greg Echenique
Erik Murphy

We're very high on / but haven't offered:

Leslie McDonald

We offered / but cooled on:

Reeves Nelson (the post above explains a lot to me)

Is this correct as I write this today (1/10/08)?

Thanks in advance....

Karl Beem
01-10-2008, 04:46 PM

Say again? You're breaking up.

Bob Green
01-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Vango,

Your post is accurate with the exception of Painter. We have not offered Painter.

Bluedog
01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
devilsfan231 is saying "high interest" as in the recruits interest level in Duke. He or she is not saying that Duke isn't recruiting good players. At least, that's what I think he/she meant. I'm assuming that devilsfan is getting his/her info from scout.com, since that site lists Erik Murphy as having a "high" interest level, while all the rest are medium. However, scout.com pretty much just lists everybody as medium this early so you shouldn't read much into it. Duke is very much in the hunt for a number of the players listed. They start changing them to "high" when it gets close to signing LOI day....When players haven't said much about schools at this stage in the game, they are always medium to low. Scout.com isn't all-knowing so they don't like going out on a limb this early. For Eric Murphy, all 7 schools on his list are under "high" interest, while for Painter, all 8 schools on his list are "medium" interest. Obviously, this doesn't show any indication that Murphy is more likely to attend Duke than Painter.

vango
01-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Vango,

Your post is accurate with the exception of Painter. We have not offered Painter.

Thank you kindly, Mr. Green....

Uncle Drew
01-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Since we're on the subject of recruiting, I was wanting to ask a 2008 question to Jim if I might back track. This John Reik guy, 7'2" 240lbs and still undecided has Duke listed as a possibility. I've heard to just go ahead and forget about him ever attending Duke. But do you have any inside information why? I mean are the grades not there? Is the family situation where he needs to go pro ASAP? (And how would be bypass the one year college rule?) I know, I know......move on, concentrate on this year and let the coaches worry about the 2009 class. But 7'2" 240lbs sounds really good right about now.

And back to 2009, I gotta know if anyone knows if #72 Shawn Kemp is the son of the virile and former NBA player of the same name? If memory serves me correctly he might be able to stock his own roster from extra curricular activities during his playing days.

devilsfan231
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
yes bluedog you are right no doubt that all of those players are incredible but just because duke offers them doesn't mean they are gonna commit.

loran16
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Since we're on the subject of recruiting, I was wanting to ask a 2008 question to Jim if I might back track. This John Reik guy, 7'2" 240lbs and still undecided has Duke listed as a possibility. I've heard to just go ahead and forget about him ever attending Duke. But do you have any inside information why? I mean are the grades not there? Is the family situation where he needs to go pro ASAP? (And how would be bypass the one year college rule?) I know, I know......move on, concentrate on this year and let the coaches worry about the 2009 class. But 7'2" 240lbs sounds really good right about now.

His prep school should qualify him for the NBA draft, and he is predicted to go if not top 10 just after it (see espn). Going that high means its not likely he'll start in college instead.

kramerbr
01-10-2008, 06:50 PM
with nelson to ucla i don't see any bright spots for our class no high interest players boynton looks like our stud go to recruit. do we have a shot at painter or mcdonald? with echenique offered do any of you see fitzgerald getting a offer?also looks like murphy will go otherwise.

Who is Fitzgerald?

Sorry I am familiar with all the other recruits except him.

jimsumner
01-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I'll give devilsfan the benefit of the doubt and assume that he/she is taking his/her information from a scout.com or rivals.com chart, which probably hasn't been updated since the summer. Medium interest, high interest, low interest are terms bandied about on those sites.

So here goes. Reeves Nelson hasn't been a credible option since late summer when Duke determined that he was not likely to leave the west coast. His committment to UCLA was not unexpected and has no impact whatsoever on Duke's recruiting plans.

Duke has offered Kenny Boynton, a consensus top-10 combo guard. I don't think I'm betraying any premium info to state that Duke is regarded as the clear favorite for Boynton.

Duke also has offered two premier bigs, Greg Echenique and Eric Murphy. Duke may be close to offering Leslie McDonald and is seriously evaluating DeShawn Painter, Vinson,and maybe Jon Hood. Others may emerge.

Duke has long regarded the class of '09 as a class deep in players that can do well at Duke athletically, academically, and socially. I'm not going to rank or handicap any of the above, but I can state categorically that Duke fully expects to sign 3 oor 4 consensus top-30 recruits this coming fall.

As for Riek. There are a couple of red flags. One is the fact that he apparently doesn't speak English very well. Doesn't mean he's stupid or anything. The planet is full of bright people who don't speak English. But they don't attend an academically elite university in the United States. Second, Riek has made no attempt to hide his desire to go NBA as soon as feasible. He has a high ceiling but is very, very raw. He is that rare prospect who could be a lottery pick but probably couldn't start for most top-25 teams. I do not believe Duke is actively recruiting the young man.

Uncle Drew
01-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I'll give devilsfan the benefit of the doubt and assume that he/she is taking his/her information from a scout.com or rivals.com chart, which probably hasn't been updated since the summer. Medium interest, high interest, low interest are terms bandied about on those sites.

So here goes. Reeves Nelson hasn't been a credible option since late summer when Duke determined that he was not likely to leave the west coast. His committment to UCLA was not unexpected and has no impact whatsoever on Duke's recruiting plans.

Duke has offered Kenny Boynton, a consensus top-10 combo guard. I don't think I'm betraying any premium info to state that Duke is regarded as the clear favorite for Boynton.

Duke also has offered two premier bigs, Greg Echenique and Eric Murphy. Duke may be close to offering Leslie McDonald and is seriously evaluating DeShawn Painter, Vinson,and maybe Jon Hood. Others may emerge.

Duke has long regarded the class of '09 as a class deep in players that can do well at Duke athletically, academically, and socially. I'm not going to rank or handicap any of the above, but I can state categorically that Duke fully expects to sign 3 oor 4 consensus top-30 recruits this coming fall.

As for Riek. There are a couple of red flags. One is the fact that he apparently doesn't speak English very well. Doesn't mean he's stupid or anything. The planet is full of bright people who don't speak English. But they don't attend an academically elite university in the United States. Second, Riek has made no attempt to hide his desire to go NBA as soon as feasible. He has a high ceiling but is very, very raw. He is that rare prospect who could be a lottery pick but probably couldn't start for most top-25 teams. I do not believe Duke is actively recruiting the young man.

See people, THIS is why Jim is the man. He explains things in detail about players A, B, C and D. Not to mention explains why players Y and Z probably aren't Duke material and / or isn't east coast material. And he does it in a manner even an idiot like me can understand. (You all were thinking it, I went ahead and said it.) Let's hope the deep 2009 class brings Duke a week or two like UNC has had the last week or two!

As for Riek I can imagine regardless of GPA, IQ, SAT and any other abreviated term that factors into going to college not being fluent in English would be very difficult to overcome. (No wonder it's hard for Duke to get recruits from in the state of North Carolina!) Truth be told I'm amazed a player like Pocius or Christian Ast can come to Duke and learn using a second language. Or a player like Greg Newton can overcome ending ever sentence in "eh"? Thanks mucho for the info Jimo!

mgtr
01-10-2008, 07:41 PM
On the other hand, there are schools (cough, cough) which have no hesitation in offering players who have little chance in succeeding in any college environment. If they can keep him for two years before he flunks out, good enough. Sad, and not fair to the kid.

weezie
01-10-2008, 08:02 PM
On the other hand, there are schools (cough, cough) which have no hesitation in offering players who have little chance in succeeding in any college environment. If they can keep him for two years before he flunks out, good enough. Sad, and not fair to the kid.

Well, finally! An insightful comment. The NBA's phony age requirement has had the exact opposite result of what was piously touted by the "great" David Stern. Now the college experience is even further devalued.
Any recruit looking at Duke has to be willing to work extremely hard on the court and to go to class. We all know that.
It was great watching Gerald's dad in the stands last night. HE knows what his son is capable of! He knows what Coach K stands for: tenacity, courage, responsibility and team.

Jumbo
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Denial? No, Jim Sumner has connections. You read recruiting sites. He has forgotten more about Duke's recruiting than you'll ever know. Maybe you should take some time to get know people before you accuse them of having "denial." Also, the occasional use of punctuation would be much appreciated.

devilsfan231
01-10-2008, 09:56 PM
well there buddy i didn't see one error i made in that sentance. next your pathetic because i did not doubt his word i doubt your word. your probably a unc fan looking for a little love.

hughgs
01-10-2008, 09:58 PM
well there buddy i didn't see one error i made in that sentance. next your pathetic because i did not doubt his word i doubt your word. your probably a unc fan looking for a little love.

Let me savor this moment before you get blasted for posting idiocies.

OK, thanks!

Jumbo
01-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Hmmm... How to respond. First, let me translate your post into English. "Well there, buddy, I didn't see one error I made in that sentence. Next, you're pathetic, because I did not doubt his word. I doubt your word. You're probably a UNC fan looking for a little love."

I think you're going to find somewhere else to post.

Karl Beem
01-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Let me savor this moment before you get blasted for posting idiocies.

OK, thanks!

What are our middle schools coming to!:rolleyes:

SeattleIrish
01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
:)
Hmmm... How to respond. First, let me translate your post into English. "Well there, buddy, I didn't see one error I made in that sentence. Next, you're pathetic, because I did not doubt his word. I doubt your word. You're probably a UNC fan looking for a little love."

I think you're going to find somewhere else to post.

Please, let him stay. His post really made my day.:)

s.i.

heath_harshman4
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM

You have 5 posts....come on dude. Name 15 Duke players all-time without using ESPN or something.

The Gordog
01-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Please everyone, don't respond to this poor guy, it will only encourage him.

Ignatius07
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Can this battle between Jumbo and devilsfan be moved to a different thread for those of us interested in continuing discussion of the original (and eminently more interesting) topic?

Jumbo
01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Can this battle between Jumbo and devilsfan be moved to a different thread for those of us interested in continuing discussion of the original (and eminently more interesting) topic?

There's no battle. I'm done with him. I can delete the posts if you like, though.

Uncle Drew
01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Don't delete and don't ban him. That is the most I have laughed in a week! I am litteraly crying and my sides hurt from laughing so hard!!!!!

You just want to ban him because you're a UNC fan looking for a little love Jumbo! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW we need a poll asking if it's over or not!!!! LMAO!

SeattleIrish
01-11-2008, 01:52 AM

The kid scored 2 points in his most recent highschool game. I've never seen the kid play, but this is the most recent article I could find on him and it isn't pretty (I just pasted the first couple paragraphs, not the whole article...delete if that's not allowed):

"SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - John Riek may well play in the NBA one day, but he certainly didn't appear ready on Saturday.

John Riek

The 7-foot-2, 240-pound native of Khartoum, Sudan scored just 2 points on 1-of-6 shooting as his Winchendon (Mass). School beat St. Benedict's Prep, 59-49, at the Hoop Group Tip-Off Classic at Seton Hall.

Winchendon (8-4) won behind 25 points from 6-5 wing Larry Anderson and 21 from Anthony Raffa of Wildwood, N.J. Riek, the former Our Savior of New American star ranked the No. 1 center in the Class of 2008 by Rivals, did have a game-high 12 rebounds and 5 blocks.

"I need to work on offense," said Riek, who is fluent in Arabic and his tribal language of Nuer but speaks limited English.

He averaged 13 points, nine rebounds and four assists last season at Our Savior in Centereach, N.Y., but still has a long way to go offensively.

"He's capable of changing the game defensively," recruiting analyst Tom
Konchalski said after the game. "Offensively, his game is in its infancy. He has some good habits where he always keeps the ball high.

"The game is a litle too quick for him right now. That's the biggest thing. It's not only a lack of strength, but the game is a little too quick for him. Down the road, he could be an NBA center in a number of years. But the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow in his case, not at the beginning."

Riek, 18, came to the U.S. in January from the civil war-stricken Sudan, where he has already lost an older brother, Diewo, at the hands of the police.

His coming out party came in July when he wowed scouts at the LeBron James US Skils Academy in Akron, Ohio.

"The NBA scouts who saw him down there told me that he was, beside Roy Hibbert, the second best center prospect draftable," Winchendon coach Mike Byrnes told SI.com's Kevin Armstrong."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=751717

s.i.

NYC Duke Fan
01-11-2008, 03:57 AM
I am not a recruiting guru, far from it. Could someone tell me which players that Coach K is recruiting from the class of 09 would help with one of our problems that exists now...the lack of an inside presence. Anyone who could remind one of Shelden Williams or Elton Brand.

Thank you

Bob Green
01-11-2008, 05:04 AM
I am not a recruiting guru, far from it. Could someone tell me which players that Coach K is recruiting from the class of 09 would help with one of our problems that exists now...the lack of an inside presence. Anyone who could remind one of Shelden Williams or Elton Brand.

Thank you

Greg Echenique is at St. Benedict's Prep. He is a strong rebounder and defensive player who has shown the ability to score but is far from polished as an offensive player. He is big at 6'-9" 255:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=55300

Erik Murphy is taller but slender 6'10.5" and 220. He is reported to be an extremely talented offensive player. He plays at St. Mark's in Southborough, MA.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=56461&sport=2

Seeing as both these potential Blue Devils play in the Northeast, you might occasionally find articles on them at Adam Zagoria's blog (http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/) or Dick Weiss' blog (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/).

Bluedawg
01-11-2008, 09:39 AM
The thing to remember is that generally Coach K gets who he wants and second, he gets people who will fit into his scheme. Players who will enhance the team and fit into its character. he may not always go after a top 5 player, but he goes after the top player who will fit.

He also looks at potential 4 year players and not one and out players.

Carlos
01-11-2008, 10:21 AM
The kid scored 2 points in his most recent highschool game. I've never seen the kid play, but this is the most recent article I could find on him and it isn't pretty (I just pasted the first couple paragraphs, not the whole article...delete if that's not allowed):

"SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - John Riek may well play in the NBA one day, but he certainly didn't appear ready on Saturday.

John Riek

The 7-foot-2, 240-pound native of Khartoum, Sudan scored just 2 points on 1-of-6 shooting as his Winchendon (Mass). School beat St. Benedict's Prep, 59-49, at the Hoop Group Tip-Off Classic at Seton Hall.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=751717

s.i.

Wow.... that St. Benedict's Prep team must have some good interior defenders. We should be looking at recruiting one of those guys.

SeattleIrish
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow.... that St. Benedict's Prep team must have some good interior defenders. We should be looking at recruiting one of those guys.

It certainly does seem odd to suggest we steer clear of someone because they are "one-and-done" when they can only score 2 points against a highschool team! Right now the guy would be a college "project", let alone a pro project.

s.i.

wumhenry
01-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't like it, either, but I don't see how it's unfair to the kid unless the recruiter makes a cynical pitch about the advantages of having a degree from the institution in question and that's what induces the kid to sign on. I'm not in a position to know, but I doubt that that is typically the main selling point when recruiters talk to prospects who are obviously incapable of staying the course to graduation.

whereinthehellami
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Greg Echenique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjirTdEE2zQ

DukeBlood
01-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Guess what im really wondering, Are one of these bigs(Echenique, Murphy or Painter) really the Answer to Duke's woes? Lack of rebounding, Inside presence etc,..

I try and follow recruiting as closely as possible without subscribing to premium sites. You sound pretty confident that Boynton likes Duke, Thats great!

Anyway my question is How does Duke sit with Greg Echenique? Unless of course you cant comment on that. Along with some other Duke fans I am worried about recruiting of bigs. Im not quite so vocal and believe this is the end of Duke like some, But I believe there is SOME concern for worry.

Carlos
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
It certainly does seem odd to suggest we steer clear of someone because they are "one-and-done" when they can only score 2 points against a highschool team! Right now the guy would be a college "project", let alone a pro project.

s.i.

I was just pointing out that one of the guys who defended Riek was Echenique.

vango
01-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Greg Echenique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjirTdEE2zQ

Seen this video and watched him on TV once. I'm no coach, trainer, etc and know much more about football than basketball but I like this kids tenacity, work without the ball, his size, willingness to mix it up, his hands, and ability to alter a shot. The only two things I see I'm uncertain about is that he isn't going to jump out of the gym and his habit of bringing the ball down low (waist high).

Like I said, I've only seen a bit on him but I like him....

Watched an interview on him once and he seemed very well spoken.

jimsumner
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
DukeBlood,

Duke is confident it will bring in a class that addresses its needs.

Ignatius07
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Jim, you should be a politician.

gotham devil
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't mean to embarrass you, but you are trying to mock him.
Unfortunately, you've got the wrong team.

The prep team, consisting of postgraduates, played WA. The varsity team at St. Benedict's, which has Duke recruits Tristan Thompson and Gregory Echenique, never played against Riek.

SilkyJ
01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
See people, THIS is why Jim is the man.

Here here. Thanks as always, Jim.

The thing to remember is that generally Coach K gets who he wants and second, he gets people who will fit into his scheme. Players who will enhance the team and fit into its character. he may not always go after a top 5 player, but he goes after the top player who will fit.

I agree with the last two sentences, but the 1st one hasn't been true as of late. We whiffed on our three latest top big men prospects in Brandan Wright, Patterson, and Monroe...I'm not freaking out or anything, but we have been spoiled from K basically getting whoever he wants and lately it hasn't been quite that easy...

hehe

Jim, you should be a politician.

Battier/Sumner '16?

jimsumner
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I'll still be younger than McCain is now. :)

dukie8
01-11-2008, 07:43 PM

are you kidding me? there have been countless thread over the past month about all of the big whiffs as of late. ever hear of monroe, patterson, love or wright? moreover, what do you think monroe and wright were/will be and mcroberts was projected to be (hint: 1 and done)? you need to stop kidding yourself that k gets anyone he goes after and only goes after guys who will be around for multiple years.

mepanchin
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Love wasn't a whiff

Uncle Drew
01-12-2008, 09:15 AM
"Duke has offered Kenny Boynton, a consensus top-10 combo guard. I don't think I'm betraying any premium info to state that Duke is regarded as the clear favorite for Boynton."

This is part of a post by Jim the day before yesterday and it got me to thinking. Okay, I've always gotten confused with things that are copyrighted, and I'm a bit confused as to what we as posters could get in trouble for on a legal basis. For example if we post a link to an article that's okay if I'm understanding correctly. But if I paste and copy from a site, that's where I / we can get in trouble? I may be a little slow but what's the difference?

And if I subscribed to say Rivals.com and they revealed UNC was recruiting some 8 foot guy from Turkey. If I came on here and said I read on Rivals, or "heard from a reliable source" they were recruiting this guy, Can I or DBR get in trouble for that? I mean you pay to use that site ,do you sign a confidentiality agreement when you join or something? I don't see it any different than joining Brittneyspears.com and then coming on here and saying she's lost her mind.

And I know VERY well IF I came on here telling about the 8' UNC recruit, half the board would be wanting me to cite sources and stop "rumor mongering" or typing unsubstantiated data. For the record I don't subscribe to any on line recruiting sources, but I do get every issue of a particular recruiting rag sheet. So moderators or anyone else. Explain the lines and how not to cross them.

devildeac
01-12-2008, 09:47 AM
"Duke has offered Kenny Boynton, a consensus top-10 combo guard. I don't think I'm betraying any premium info to state that Duke is regarded as the clear favorite for Boynton."

This is part of a post by Jim the day before yesterday and it got me to thinking. Okay, I've always gotten confused with things that are copyrighted, and I'm a bit confused as to what we as posters could get in trouble for on a legal basis. For example if we post a link to an article that's okay if I'm understanding correctly. But if I paste and copy from a site, that's where I / we can get in trouble? I may be a little slow but what's the difference?

And if I subscribed to say Rivals.com and they revealed UNC was recruiting some 8 foot guy from Turkey. If I came on here and said I read on Rivals, or "heard from a reliable source" they were recruiting this guy, Can I or DBR get in trouble for that? I mean you pay to use that site ,do you sign a confidentiality agreement when you join or something? I don't see it any different than joining Brittneyspears.com and then coming on here and saying she's lost her mind.

And I know VERY well IF I came on here telling about the 8' UNC recruit, half the board would be wanting me to cite sources and stop "rumor mongering" or typing unsubstantiated data. For the record I don't subscribe to any on line recruiting sources, but I do get every issue of a particular recruiting rag sheet. So moderators or anyone else. Explain the lines and how not to cross them.

unc is recruiting an 8' guy from Turkey? WOW. Why wasn't he on our radar? What grade is he? 7th? 8th? Why can't we recruit these big guys? They'll kill our frontcourt for the next decade or so. Do they have a big man coach? (all tongue in cheek of course)

Carlos
01-12-2008, 09:53 AM
I don't mean to embarrass you, but you are trying to mock him.
Unfortunately, you've got the wrong team.

The prep team, consisting of postgraduates, played WA. The varsity team at St. Benedict's, which has Duke recruits Tristan Thompson and Gregory Echenique, never played against Riek.

Actually, I wasn't trying to mock anyone. But thanks for the information.

bluedevils2008
01-12-2008, 11:48 AM
any update with brandon knight?

Ignatius07
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't have any premium info, but I also have yet to read anything concrete about Duke's 2010 recruiting (other than that we were at least somewhat interest in UNC-commit Kendall Marshall). Regardless, we probably should go after an elite PG in that class, especially since the last true point guard we recruited was in the class of 2005.

gotham devil
01-12-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't have any premium info, but I also have yet to read anything concrete about Duke's 2010 recruiting (other than that we were at least somewhat interest in UNC-commit Kendall Marshall). Regardless, we probably should go after an elite PG in that class, especially since the last true point guard we recruited was in the class of 2005.

It's a safe bet that Duke will be going hard after Brandon Knight for the 2010 class. He has been out with an injury this season, but recently rejoined his Pine Crest team. On the AAU circuit, he plays on Team Breakdown with Kenny Boynton, the aforementioned '09 recruit. As of last year, coincidentally, former Duke point guard Bobby Hurley had at least one child at the private school.

JBDuke
01-12-2008, 11:48 PM

There's a long, long history of copyright/fair use debates, and the most recent part of that has a lot of stuff about Internet usage. I'm no expert, so I'm not going to interpret the "why" of it. DBR's guidelines state "You may not cut and paste large or entire sections from a newspaper article or other website. You may mention an article, use a quote or two, critique it, and give a link."

Copying a significant part of an article onto DBR is essentially like copying it out of a book or newspaper. It's piracy, and it's a violation of copyright law. Linking to an article that is posted online is completely different - you direct the reader to the legally published location of an article. It's a little bit like the difference between citing a source in a paper versus copying a source.

Generally, yes, you sign (electronically) some sort of confidentiality agreement when you subscribe to a premium site. After all, those sites only make money if they can convince people to subscribe, and exclusive access to info is the carrot.

BTW, by offering your opinion of Ms. Spears, you are not violating any sort of copyright law. Similarly, if you went to rivals or wherever and read about Carolina leading for six of the top seven big men in next year’s class, then you could come to DBR and post something like “It looks like Carolina may be in for a whale of a recruiting class next year.” But you could NOT post the specific info as to why you held that opinion. This would be “teasing”, and it’s something that folks have been accused of on this site previously. It can also be considered rude, as you have access to information that others do not, yet you cannot share it. It’s a little like rubbing peoples’ noses in it.

jimsumner
01-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Good summation. I think a couple of points can be clarified. Rivals and Scout both have premium and free components. Linking or revealing info from a premium site is strictly verboten, legally and ethically. I would assume a little more latitude is allowed regarding the free stuff but am open to being corrected by those higher up the food chain.

And then there's info that is designed to be disseminated as widely as possible, press releases or press conferences.